As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 1, 2015 - Plus A Zookeeper

2»

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    On the subject of Song of the Sorcelator; it took me years to find out that the whole "Wizard's ambulatory dresser" thing was likely a reference to Discworld.

• Options
    CorpsegoddessCorpsegoddess Registered User regular
    Don't bother with Dresden--they're repetitive, dreary, and awful. If you want something in the same vein, but that's well-written and *fun* (I actually laugh out loud reading them), then pick up the Iron Druid Chronicles, by Kevin Hearne. I can't recommend them enough.

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    Well I would argue it's more of an animated skeletal T-Rex than a true zombie . . .
    He had to have butters provide it with a steady rythmic audio beat to keep it focused/under control just like the human zombies introduced earlier in the book, so I think it's the dresden-verse version of Zombie.

Also - for people looking for books similar to Dresden Files (Which I absolutely loved), another good serries to look into is Grimnoire Chronicals by Larry Correia (book 1: Hard Magic). It's set in an alternate history where WW2 never happened because the appearance of magic during the Civil War kind of set history off the rails.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Well this comment thread didn't take long to descend into book elitism

Orphane on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Don't bother with Dresden the Iron Druid Chronicles--they're repetitive, dreary, and awful. If you want something in the same vein, but that's well-written and *fun* (I actually laugh out loud reading them), then pick up the Iron Druid Chronicles, by Kevin Hearne the Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. I can't recommend them enough.

You somehow accidently swapped those series. I've fixed your post.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well this is productive.

• Options
    CorpsegoddessCorpsegoddess Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    SHADOWHOPE wrote:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Look, I realise that I am one of approximately 6 people that loathe the Dresden Files. That being said, the main difference between the two series is that I HATED slogging through Dresden, while Druid was a delight to read. There's so much different stuff that happens in Iron Druid from page one, whereas Dresden, to me, reads like this:

"Beginning of Book: 'Hi, I'm Harry Dresden. I'm a wizard. I am a magical luddite.'

Second chapter or so: 'Something small has happened. Crap. Something big just happened to complicate the small thing. Just let me catch my brea—CRAP. ANOTHER THING.' Rinse and repeat.

Third chapter: 'Blue Beetle. Not blue.'

Fourth chapter: 'Chivalry isn't dead, it's just in a coma and I don't care kthxbai.'

Fifth chapter through end of book: LOTS AND LOTS OF STUFF THAT NEVER STOPS HAPPENING.

End of book: 'Hi, I'm Harry Dresden. I'm awesome, but I also screw up.'

Of course, the latter books try to distract you from this formula by occasionally throwing in a dinosaur, or something super-meaningfully "emotional" that happens, but that's the series right there.

Oh, and also--talking, witty Irish wolfhound trumps EVERYTHING.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ORPHANE / APRIL 2
    What--so because I don't like a series and offer an alternate one, that's elitism? Everybody else seems to be able to gush about how much they love Dresden; I'm simply providing an opposing viewpoint. It's called discourse.

Corpsegoddess on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    SHADOWHOPE wrote:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Look, I realise that I am one of approximately 6 people that loathe the Dresden Files. That being said, the main difference between the two series is that I HATED slogging through Dresden, while Druid was a delight to read. There's so much different stuff that happens in Iron Druid from page one, whereas Dresden, to me, reads like this:

"Beginning of Book: 'Hi, I'm Harry Dresden. I'm a wizard. I am a magical luddite.'

Second chapter or so: 'Something small has happened. Crap. Something big just happened to complicate the small thing. Just let me catch my brea—CRAP. ANOTHER THING.' Rinse and repeat.

Third chapter: 'Blue Beetle. Not blue.'

Fourth chapter: 'Chivalry isn't dead, it's just in a coma and I don't care kthxbai.'

Fifth chapter through end of book: LOTS AND LOTS OF STUFF THAT NEVER STOPS HAPPENING.

End of book: 'Hi, I'm Harry Dresden. I'm awesome, but I also screw up.'

Of course, the latter books try to distract you from this formula by occasionally throwing in a dinosaur, or something super-meaningfully "emotional" that happens, but that's the series right there.
    I disagree with this general view, but respect your right to have a different opinion on stuff I like. I'm sure shadowhope was just kidding, but I'll let them decide whether or not to dig that hole.
    Oh, and also--talking, witty Irish wolfhound trumps EVERYTHING.

Mouse the temple hound would like to contest that.

As an aside, quotes in bbcode are probably easier to do than tildes as separators.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    ORPHANE / APRIL 2
    What--so because I don't like a series and offer an alternate one, that's elitism? Everybody else seems to be able to gush about how much they love Dresden; I'm simply providing an opposing viewpoint. It's called discourse.

do we really need to discuss how
    Don't bother with Dresden--they're repetitive, dreary, and awful.

is not meaningful discourse? You could have just left off that entire first part and nobody would have said anything

• Options
    gekkobeargekkobear Registered User regular
    I hadn't read the Dresden Files books, or been interested; but someone mentioned it recently knowing I'd watched it on Netflix.

Realizing it might be like the "Something from the Nightside" series by Simon R. Green it seemed worth a try to grab a few books for a trip I was taking.

Well worth reading so far (4 books in) have to get the next few books now.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    For a similar (but older and inverted) take on fantasy PI. Glen Cook's Garret books are about a hardboiled detective living in a straight up fantasy world. They hew much closer to their inspiration than Dresden does. Lots of dangerous dames, chin music, and hard drinking. I like the Dresden books more, but still liked Garret.

Aside: one of my Dresden copies has a pull quote from Glen Cook along the lines of "Fantastic idea, I wish I'd thought of it"