As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So. How about that new faction? Anybody seen anything new from Scum? Aside from 2 big ship lists.

DO3O00C.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Kavil with Blaster Turret & Aggromech.
    It's ridonc.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    So. How about that new faction? Anybody seen anything new from Scum? Aside from 2 big ship lists.

I'd hate to see stats on the Yhuuzan Vong ships.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

They aren't cannon so most likely you never will.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

To be fair, half the ships in the game aren't canon anymore either. Defender? Phantom? E-wing? Hwk-290? Ig-2000? Starviper? Decimator? Pretty sure they're all non-canon now.

If this game gets rewritten to strictly follow canon, there's going to be a lot of pissed off players.

Vong ships could be fun. Maybe use gravity wells to change your opponents movement (if you're close enough). Possibly gravity mines?. Special systems to negate projectile attacks or negate the first attack each round?
    It'd be a pain in the ass to balance them and still maintain flavor, but if it could be done well, it could be fun.

Sokpuppet wrote: »
    It's ridonc.

This is in literally every single one of my scum lists. a 4 dice TURRET that you still get to use a traget lock with is THAT good.
    Here is the current list I am planning on running:
    http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/166941/yzzm3m3

Short summary:
    Kavil + Blaster Turret + R4 Agromech + Veteran Instincts (31)
    Serissu + Elusiveness + Stealth Device (25)
    Cartel Spacer + “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor + “Mangler” Cannon (20)
    Binayre Pirate (12)
    Binayre Pirate (12)

DO3O00C.png
    Also Palob Godalhi is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

His ability is, but it's base 20 points for the worst dial in the game with 4H1S. Give him enough upgrades to be decent and its getting pretty close to 1/3 of your list. That just makes me nervous.

DO3O00C.png
    edited April 2015
    For real though. He's nuts.
    It's like your opponent gets no actions.
    Toss a Blaster Turret on him and maybe one other card and he ruins lives.

There's a local dude running a double HWK double Y-wing list and doing quite well.

Sokpuppet on
    Dace or Mux?

DO3O00C.png
    see317 wrote: »

To be fair, half the ships in the game aren't canon anymore either. Defender? Phantom? E-wing? Hwk-290? Ig-2000? Starviper? Decimator? Pretty sure they're all non-canon now.

If this game gets rewritten to strictly follow canon, there's going to be a lot of pissed off players.

Vong ships could be fun. Maybe use gravity wells to change your opponents movement (if you're close enough). Possibly gravity mines?. Special systems to negate projectile attacks or negate the first attack each round?
    It'd be a pain in the ass to balance them and still maintain flavor, but if it could be done well, it could be fun.

While those ships aren't cannon because they didn't show up in the films, they are within the reasonable "They could be there" non-cannon for this game.

The Vongs came from another Galaxy in bioships while being Jedi proof. If anything good has come from this burning of the EU, it's the fact that the Vongs don't exist.

• UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

They aren't cannon liked by most people so most likely you never will.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't want to see any other factions because it's beyond my imagination what they would use, but it would be interesting to have ground forces...but they made Imperial Assault so that won't work, and they made Armada so you aren't going to get any bigger. It would be interesting to see a Huge ship topped out at 100 points against other lists. It'd probably suffer hard from imbalance or getting toasted in round two.

Edit: If they released a deck of upgrade cards from all of the expansions or new cards, I'd definitely buy that.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    It's ridonc.

My playtesting of Kavil has shown that the R4 + Blaster turret combo is great, but you're screwed if you're playing someone capable of blocking your easily predictable Y-Wing dial and denying you the focus token you need to be able to power the turret. I've had a lot of success with:

Kavil
    PTL
    Unhinged Astromech
    Engine Upgrade
    Blaster Turret

Now you can zoom all over the map with green 3's, easily and unpredictably clear stress, and boost to arc dodge/get enemy ships out of your primary arc to get your additional attack die.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So should the Ghost, Phantom, and Rebel TIE Fighter be sold as one package or individually? I mean if FF gets around to making them...

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Ken O wrote: »
    So should the Ghost, Phantom, and Rebel TIE Fighter be sold as one package or individually? I mean if FF gets around to making them...

The Ghost and Phantom should be sold together. The salvaged TIE should be sold by itself.
    If they get made.

It's ridonc.

My playtesting of Kavil has shown that the R4 + Blaster turret combo is great, but you're screwed if you're playing someone capable of blocking your easily predictable Y-Wing dial and denying you the focus token you need to be able to power the turret. I've had a lot of success with:

Kavil
    PTL
    Unhinged Astromech
    Engine Upgrade
    Blaster Turret

Now you can zoom all over the map with green 3's, easily and unpredictably clear stress, and boost to arc dodge/get enemy ships out of your primary arc to get your additional attack die.

Yup, that is really close to the world champ's suggestion: Kavil with an Autoblaster Turret , Engine Upgrade, Push the Limit, and Unhinged Astromech.

It's pretty crazy ship, that DOES NOT act like you think it should. Only problem is PS.

DO3O00C.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, I got this on a whim and it's mostly sticking around because it's a game my father really enjoyed (he's not usually into board games).

If I wanted to expand from the core set into an interesting 100 point dog fight kinda thing what expansions would I go about getting? Preferably not just buying another core set as that seems kinda dull.

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    A second core really is the best way to go, as it'll give you guys enough dice and maneuver templates where it won't be inconvenient anymore. From there, you can really season to taste. You can buy ALMOST anything and be able to field a decent 100 point squad with ______ + 2 X-Wings vs _________ + 4 TIEs.

If you can financially swing it, a second core plus the Falcon and the Slave I would give you both some options.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Albino Bunny

One of the things you can do is to read back through this thread and see some of the squads that people were running in the League; they're all 100-point squads with some really good variety.

If I were to pick a basic "lots of options" collection, in addition to the Core Set, it'd be:
    • Rebel
      • X-Wing
      • Y-Wing x2
      • A-Wing
      • B-Wing
      • Rebel Aces
      • YT-1300
    • Imperial
      • TIE Fighter x2
      • TIE Interceptor
      • TIE Advanced
      • TIE Bomber x2
      • Imperial Aces
      • Lambda-class Shuttle

With those purchases, you have a huge variety of lists you could run, including some larger ships, without getting into many of the more esoteric ships (HWK-190, E-Wings, etc.).

Hmm, might pick up a second core and a Y-wing if we keep playing then.

What's a neat Imperial ship to stand out from the crowd compared to standard TIE fighters?

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I agree with a second core as it is probably the most economical way to boost your ability to get to 100 points.

I actually waited about a month or so to get my second core set, since I picked up a smattering of small ships here and there. I definitely agree with MSP about picking up the second core, but if you want to get better variety, you'll have to spend a little more.

The Falcon is easily one of the most iconic ships, and points range from 27-46.
    Slave 1 is also easily recognizable. Points range from 33-39.

These two come with a bunch of upgrades.

My other recommendations are the Aces packs. They each come with 2 ships with custom paint schemes and a bunch of upgrades too.
    The Rebel one contains 1 A-Wing and 1 B-Wing, while the Imperial comes with 2 TIE-Interceptors.

Hmm, might pick up a second core and a Y-wing if we keep playing then.

A second core set is great for the extra movement templates and dice, and because it's a cheap way to add more Xs and TIEs. The X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions have different cards with them, that you don't get in the Core set, though, so it's useful to pick up at least one of each of them.
    What's a neat Imperial ship to stand out from the crowd compared to standard TIE fighters?

Any of the big ships - the Shuttle, the Firespray, or the new one, the Decimator - will stand out a lot.

For things that are fighter-sized, the Defender or the Phantom are quite a bit different from standard TIEs. Interceptors are pretty fun to fly, and Bombers have a lot of options between torpedoes, missiles, and bombs.

Imperial Aces! The Interceptors are fun to fly and with the core set TIEs, you are a deadly challenge to most list, from my experience.

Yeah I looked at that. It looks neat but in general I think buying this stuff is gonna have to wait.

Plus FFG already extracts money from me on demand through netrunner.

A second core really is the best way to go, as it'll give you guys enough dice and maneuver templates where it won't be inconvenient anymore. From there, you can really season to taste. You can buy ALMOST anything and be able to field a decent 100 point squad with ______ + 2 X-Wings vs _________ + 4 TIEs.

If you can financially swing it, a second core plus the Falcon and the Slave I would give you both some options.

I'd suggest an X-wing and a TIE fighter expansion pack in addition to the second core set to open up some additional options to go with the Core ships. Not necessarily an immediate buy since it sounds like you want new ships that stand out, but they should be on the list for the new pilot cards and upgrades.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Sort of related to X-Wing, but does anyone know if any good high-res images of the Raider exist (artwork, not the model)? The only thing I have been able to find is the box art (or blown up versions of the box art which is a bit blurry).

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Sort of related to X-Wing, but does anyone know if any good high-res images of the Raider exist (artwork, not the model)? The only thing I have been able to find is the box art (or blown up versions of the box art which is a bit blurry).

It's unlikely you'll find any until they release a preview article, as it was designed specifically for the game by FFG and LucasFilm.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited June 2015
    StarWars: X-Wang
    Season 2: The Wang Strikes Back

Last time on Season 1: Episode DIX

What is this?
    This is an online X-Wing miniatures league for PA forum members.

Rules
    1-50) Don't be a dick.
    51) Breaking rules 1-50 is a Bad Idea(tm)
    52) Any issues or rules disputes come through me. I'll do my best to investigate and work out the issue with involved players. (If I'm part of the dispute, someone else will have to do it)

Format
    • TENTATIVE PLAN*
    • Games will be played in Vassal (if you can somehow play in meatspace, more power to you).
    • Games will be 100 points.
    • If you sign up you will be expected to play 1 game per week. Work with your opponent to figure out a time that you both can play. Exception: holiday weeks will be extended to 2-3 weeks
    • Please setup Vassal prior to your first game to get familiar with it (see Setup below).
    • At the end of the week, post the results to the thread so we can keep track of standings and the campaign at large.
    • Feel free to post exciting moments/screenshots in the thread!

Games will be played using FFG's dogfight tournament rules (here) with the following exceptions:
    1. Games will not be timed (Exception: you and your opponent both agree on a timed game; if time expires, the winner is the player who has destroyed more points than his opponent then receives a Match win)
    2. Because games will not be timed, scoring will be as follows:
      • Match win: 3 points
      • Draw: 1 point
      • Match loss: 0 points
    3. You don't have to stick to the same squad/faction each week (or submit your squads to me; I will be playing as well)
      • You will have to tell your opponent your squad before you begin (before obstacles are placed)
    4. Ships and cards are not permitted until they are officially released (Scum are legal!)
    5. You must legitimately own physical versions of any ships or cards you use, as per Fantasy Flight's rules concerning the ongoing use of Vassal to play their games

!!!! IMPORTANT: READ THIS !!!!
    Major changes from last season (Game rules/FAQ)
    • Scum & Villainy Ships and Upgrades are legal!
    • Tournament rules state that each player comes to the table with 3 unique obstacle tokens (Asteroids and/or Debris clouds)
      • Both sets of 3 are added to a "pool" and those are the 6 obstacles placed in the game
      • Range rules for obstacle placement remain the same
    • TIE Phantoms no longer decloak immediately before revealing their maneuver dial.
      • They decloak at the beginning of the Activation Phase (after all other "beginning of Activation Phase" abilities)
    I highly encourage you to read the FAQ for other changes.

Setup
    Setting up Vassal and the module - Follow the steps here: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/
    Keep in mind that no cards have text, so you will need your own card text available to you (see 5 above).

Resources
    !Enlist now! (@ me in the post please)

Commanders:
    1. crimsoncoyote
    2. Ingram
    3. Grunt's Ghosts
    4. Sokpuppet
    5. Elvenshae
    6. Comradebot
    7. [Expletive deleted]

8. ...

Standings
    Rank	Participant		Played	Remain	Match W-L-T	Score	TB	Pts Diff
    1	Elvenshae		4	1	4 - 0 - 0	12.0	0	12
    2	crimsoncoyote		5	0	3 - 2 - 0	9.0	0	3
    3	Grunts Ghosts		4	1	2 - 2 - 0	6.0	0	0
    4	Comradebot		2	3	1 - 1 - 0	3.0	0	0
    5	[Expletive deleted]	4	1	1 - 3 - 0	3.0	0	-6
    6	Sokpuppet		3	2	0 - 3 - 0	0.0	0	-9

Schedule

Round 2: 20 Apr - 26 Apr

Elvenshae (W) v. crimsoncoyote
    Comradebot v. Ingram
    Grunt's Ghosts (W) v. [Expletive deleted]
    Sokpuppet - BYE

Round 3: 27 Apr - 3 May

crimsoncoyote (W) v. Sokpuppet
    Elvenshae v. Comradebot
    Ingram v. [Expletive deleted]
    Grunt's Ghosts - BYE

Round 4: 4 May - 10 May

Comradebot v. crimsoncoyote (W)
    Grunt's Ghosts v. Sokpuppet
    [Expletive deleted] v. Elvenshae (W)
    Ingram - BYE

Round 5: 11 May - 17 May

crimsoncoyote v. Grunt's Ghosts (W)
    Comradebot v. [Expletive deleted]
    Sokpuppet and Elvenshae - BYE

Round 6: 18 May - 24 May

[Expletive deleted] v. crimsoncoyote (W)
    Elvenshae (W) v. Sokpuppet
    Comradebot and Grunt's Ghosts - BYE

Round 7: 25 May - 31 May

Grunt's Ghosts v. Elvenshae (W)
    Comradebot v. Sokpuppet
    [Expletive deleted] and crimsoncoyote - BYE

Proposed Calendar:
    Round 1 - Apr 13-19

Any Questions? @ or PM me!
    *Rules/format/calendar subject to change

Summoning last season's players:
    @Grunt's Ghosts @Stationary @TehSloth @Ingram @Sokpuppet @Elvenshae @webguy20

crimsoncoyote on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    You forgot my X-Wing video to get the season hyped properly!

http://kotaku.com/idea-resolve-star-wars-battles-with-game-rules-1630811342

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Regarding the owning physical miniatures things would I be allowed to field multiple X-wings even with just a single starter set?

Because I'd be up for taking part if not but don't think I can get a 100 point force with just one starter set.

• IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    So after this faq change and listening to Nova Squadron I actually want to fly my phantom. So expect me to crash into more things than normal. Looking forward to more good games!
    !Enlist @crimsoncoyote

jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Regarding the owning physical miniatures things would I be allowed to field multiple X-wings even with just a single starter set?

Because I'd be up for taking part if not but don't think I can get a 100 point force with just one starter set.
    It's mostly an honor system thing. All of the cards/tokens are blank as per FFG's policies regarding online play.
    So, technically, yes, but I'm not sure if you'd want to field only x-wings anyway.

Grunt's Ghosts was in a similar place when we started up the last season, but he grabbed a few more pieces for flexibility before he joined.

There may be people who wouldn't mind playing lower-point games to help practice and get used to vassal

Kinda surprised FFG requests stuff be blank (Netrunner's OCTGN module has the cards on day of release, just with art removed).

I think I'll investigate what I could do with only core set units tonight/tommorow and see if something interesting leaps out.

I started late last season because I only had core. But I was able to do make up games and got most of what I wanted in. This season, I have core, Imperial Aces, TIE Bomber, extra TIE Fighter, and Extra TIE Interceptor because I shop cheap off Amazon.

Speaking of the season: The Suicide Squadron Returns to the Stars!!!

Now to see if I can win one of these.

@crimsoncoyote !Enlist

Yep! Sign me up! @crimsoncoyote

• IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    What's everybodys opinion on modded vassal cards so that the ones I own have text? Cause I did that.
    I figure that it just saves me from having them on my desk. I saw on a forum while researching vassal setup that it was a done thing when someone complained about the blank cards. But I guess it may not be normal.

jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    I had that uk squad builder website that I was jumping back and forth from to see my cards because I hate typing out stuff. But if you want to, go ahead. It's not like we are doing this for money or a grand prize...

I had that uk squad builder website that I was jumping back and forth from to see my cards because I hate typing out stuff. But if you want to, go ahead. It's not like we are doing this for money or a grand prize...
    Here's the link! I'll put it in the links section of my post

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

I like doing it because it's one of the easiest ways to build my squad and send it to my opponent.
    I usually end up building my opponent's list in the builder if they haven't done so already, this way I have something to reference.