As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] - Docking request denied.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I worded that poorly, I didn't mean spam them with it or anything like that, I just meant each person who cares should make their voice heard somewhere to give them an idea of how many people care.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I did it almost immediately, the damn updater they packaged the game with is a nightmare. I've spent an entire month unable to play because the update kept failing.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Man seriously fuck these guys if they don't give out Steam keys. I'm not buying it again.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Man seriously fuck these guys if they don't give out Steam keys. I'm not buying it again.

Yeah, but they never promised to give us Steam keys. While it would be nice if they did, I don't see why they should have to. I mean, we can still play the game and not miss out on anything without Steam.

JtgVX0H.png
    Giving out Steam keys is a pretty standard user practise. No one would have bought this game without Steam if they hadn't said "yeah it'll never be on Steam."

Oh I agree totally. I'm just being nitpicky; there's a lot of people getting super upset about it on the Steam forums and it's irritated me.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I like to have all my games on Steam, to the point that I rarely buy off Steam.

As Tube points out, the only reason I bought this off Steam was because it would never be on Steam.

Super lame to go back on your word, and not offer compensation. Or at the very least a heart felt apology.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Wait so what does not providing a Steam key mean

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    It's clear from Frontier's earlier communications that they don't get what Steam is about, or why their users care about whether or not it's on Steam. They've apparently gotten nagged enough to go ahead with the Steam release, but they still don't get why they're doing it. Thus, it's not surprising that they don't get why they're committing yet another faux pas by not offering Steam keys to existing users.

Hopefully they'll get nagged enough again to get with the program.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Nerd rage on the Frontier forums is bubbling over.

A big difference for me is steam home streaming. It means I could play this on full detail on my laptop.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Eeeeee!

They released the soundtrack on Google Play! (and iTunes and direct download)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I made it out out to Kepler-10 and did like I wanted, swinging out wide every so many jump, I'm running back to Tsu to turn in exploration reports for the Alliance colonization goal. Still getting new systems to scan. I have seen some beautiful systems on this run.

Also gonna have a lot of stuff with my name next to it.

Ugh by the time I get my Asp everything will have been explored. I cashed in my Cobra for a cargo ship. I've got 100 tons of cargo capacity now. I've also discovered that if I buy up a bunch of rares, then save and exit and log in again, it restocks them somewhat. I can make around 5-600k an hour like this, which is a bit more than that gold tip you gave me, thanks though it got me some nice upgrades!

What are the reward for the exploration event?

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    Ugh by the time I get my Asp everything will have been explored.

There are 400 billion systems. Don't worry about that.

I know that, but it's frustrating the only way to make money is doing things I'm not good at and don't terribly enjoy for many many hours so I can finally start having fun.

The cobra is a totally capable explorer. Buy it back.

Tube wrote: »
    What are the reward for the exploration event?
    Current Contributors: 3829
    Current Global Progress: 679,616 Reports Submitted
    Current Reward Tier: Tier 7
    Current Global Reward: Asp Discount (15%, 10 Days)

Current Participation Rewards:
    Top 5%: 750,000 Cr + global awards
    Top 15%: 400,000 Cr + global awards
    Top 40%: 200,000 Cr + global awards
    Top 70%: 100,000 Cr + global awards
    Top 100%: 50,000 Cr + global awards

It ends on Friday, I believe.

Yeah it's not a huge mega-bank payout like Lugh was. For me, since I've already god-tier outfitted my Asp, I'm in it just for the Alliance getting a new colony.

I forget the system name, this was on my way back from Kepler-10 (btw the super-earth planet in the Kepler-10 system has an atmosphere of sulfur dioxide) found lots of multi-star systems, even one five-system, but I liked this one because it was two K sequence stars in a really tight orbit with a giant brown dwarf orbiting between them.

MuH9wal.jpg

Today got hectic really suddenly, popped to a nav beacon did some scanning and ended up walking away with around 110k in bounties, more wanted ships kept jumping in and joining in, it was approaching conflict zone levels of chaos at one ponit. and a cargo hold full of stuff.

Spent the next 20-30 minutes darting from station to station trying to sell the cargo hold, got interdicted twice by wanted ships that I then destroyed. Finally found a black market and couldn't sell the cargo. Weird, let's look it up, oh apparently you can't sell them anywhere if they're stolen.

Lesson learned: Don't take limpets.

Saved up a bunch of money and briefly tried a Cobra, I really didn't like it for Combat at all, the guns felt way too far apart and hard to bring onto a target all at once, so I swapped to a Viper instead and spent a long time fiddling with equipment trying to get my mass low enough for my thrusters and shields to actually work properly.

Once I got out there in it everything was pretty great. Dual burst lasers and dual medium multicannons just tore smaller ships apart in a way the smaller multicannons just didn't seem capable of when I had tried them before, not sure how that'll play out against larger ships but I'm moderately hopeful that I'll be able to make it work, although I may need to fiddle with the equipment again especially the power plant/distribution to keep those burst lasers firing, which may mean issues with weight again, which sucks because I already completely removed the cargo bay and have a few empty slots lying around that ship.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Saved up a bunch of money and briefly tried a Cobra, I really didn't like it for Combat at all, the guns felt way too far apart and hard to bring onto a target all at once, so I swapped to a Viper instead and spent a long time fiddling with equipment trying to get my mass low enough for my thrusters and shields to actually work properly.

Once I got out there in it everything was pretty great. Dual burst lasers and dual medium multicannons just tore smaller ships apart in a way the smaller multicannons just didn't seem capable of when I had tried them before, not sure how that'll play out against larger ships but I'm moderately hopeful that I'll be able to make it work, although I may need to fiddle with the equipment again especially the power plant/distribution to keep those burst lasers firing, which may mean issues with weight again, which sucks because I already completely removed the cargo bay and have a few empty slots lying around that ship.

Yeah, the cobra can be pretty lowsy as a pure combat vessel until you get a few upgrades in it. Fixed weapons in particular suffer from the large distance between the mounts.

Did some more combat with the viper, turned in 150k worth of combat voucher things, 20k of Empire bounties that my K-Scanner picked up on other bounties from the past few days, and fell back out of love with the multicannons. They pretty swiftly tore apart a sidewinder or an eagle, but that's about it, anything I saw in the combat zone past those two just shrugged off a hell of a lot of rounds before I got anywhere, and it was mostly Cobras with a few Asps and Vipers that I saw there.

I guess I'll have to live with it for now, but I am looking forward to saving up the 600k or so that I need to pick up medium size gimballed cannons and try them out, from previous experience I really need the gimbal boost to actually land hits with the cannons.

The current community goal is basically hired thug for a Senator, which I'm happy to go along with for now because I need the money, although I'm not sure if the contribution goals are just announced later or what exactly, I couldn't see them in game either but it seemed to be highlighting the top 70% bracket after I turned things in, so I think that's where I am. When I went to the combat area in open play there were loads of friendly commanders all waiting for the occasional hostile to pop in then just all descending on it, and it seemed like a bunch of people weren't getting rewards, I know I killed/helped kill two that way with no reward before dropping out and swapping to Solo Play, I don't know if it was a lag issue or working as intended in an annoying way or what, but given the lack of hostile targets it just made sense to swap anyway.

Here's the goal that's up for anyone interested.
    WAGING WAR

Description:
    Acting under orders of Senator Denton Patreus, in association with Silver Natural PLC, the Conservatives of BV Phoenicis are in the process of launcinh an assoult on Saavedra Dock in order to reclaim assets currently illegally held by residents of Kui Hsien.

As Senator Patreus has authorised the use of full military force to recoup losses incurred on debts owed to the Senator by the Friends of Kui Hsien, the Conservatives of BV Phoenicis are offering a range of generous payments to all mercenaries willing to fight for his cause. This includes the opportunity for pilots to earn a significant set of bonuses for hitting their targets.

System: BV Phoenicis
    Station: Aoki Dock
    Objective: Submit combat bonds to the Conservatives of BV Phoenicis at Aoki Dock
    How: Kill Friends of Kui Hsien in conflict zones in BV Phoenicis and Kui Hsien
    Ends: 27 Apr 3301 19:00

Current Contributors: 866
    Current Global Progress: 243,000,000 Credits Earned
    Current Reward Tier: Tier 0
    Current Global Reward: None

Current Participation Rewards:
    Single Top Commander: None
    Top 5%: None
    Top 15%: None
    Top 40%: None
    Top 70%: None
    Top 100%: None

Make sure you're using your thermals against the shields and kinetics against the hull.

Cog wrote: »
    Make sure you're using your thermals against the shields and kinetics against the hull.

Dual small burst lasers for shields, dual medium mulitcannons for hulls is the current setup.

I did read somewhere that the NPCs in conflict zones have better ships than other NPCs tend to have, so maybe the multicannons will work fine for general bounty hunting, I'll have to test that another time and see how it goes if I can find a wanted Cobra or something in general space, I have some time while I save up.

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    I've also run into one or two (not many) ships which have been bugged and just twirled around in space and didn't die no matter how many rounds I put into them.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Military NPCs definitely have way better ships than your average joes.

Gundi on
    Cobras also have a very strong hull for their size.

edited April 2015
    OK yeah, found a few bounties and a Cobra went down fairly easily with the Multicannons, so they're still pretty good, I just want bigger hits for conflict zones I think.

Then again I just came out of one with 3 or 4 kills and lots of ammo and almost nothing on my ship damaged other than the canopy. Everything else was 80%+ I'm pretty sure, but the canopy just got completely destroyed by something, so I had to leave in a hurry. Felt a bit crappy, gotta get a sweet robot body asap.

Fyndir on
    Got my money together and rolled out with a pair of medium cannons back to the conflict zone for the community goal, ate up a couple of larger ships (I think they were anacondas or pythons, I forget now) and while manoeuvring around a third one we ended up in some sort of jousting type movements repeatedly, then I fucked up and took some solid hits from their guns then crashed into them when they moved in an unexpected way / I failed to avoid them. That finished off my ship entirely, and now I have barely enough money to rebuy if I die again.

I think I'll wait for some people I know to be around for a wing another day before I dive back in given that, having support makes quite a bit difference.

Just gonna copy and paste my post from the G&T Elite thread:
    Darmak wrote: »
    Ooooh, check your emails folks, they're talking a bit about the new update Powerplay today.
    What Is Powerplay?

Powerplay is a new way to play Elite: Dangerous.

In Powerplay, you can participate in an ongoing battle for interstellar conquest and control that enhances every aspect of the Elite: Dangerous experience.

When Powerplay launches, you'll be able to ally yourself with any one of a number of galactic Powers, earning valuable perks, reputation bonuses and credits for your allegiance.

As a trusted ally of your chosen Power, you will be able to guide their strategy, take on special objectives to advance your shared cause, and dominate human space. Your choices and actions will have a direct and visible impact on the balance of galactic power.

And of course, Powerplay is a FREE content update for all Elite: Dangerous players and will be part of Elite: Dangerous for Mac and Xbox One at launch.

More details about it are in the email.

JtgVX0H.png
    I accidentally leaned on the silent running button in combat, which was less than ideal really.

Quite a lot funnier than accidentally hitting flight assist, I have to say.

Fyndir wrote: »
    I accidentally leaned on the silent running button in combat, which was less than ideal really.

Quite a lot funnier than accidentally hitting flight assist, I have to say.

It's not quite as bad as it seems. Depending on your heat at the time, it can cause you to disappear from their sensors and they'll lose the triangular targeting thingy around you and any gimbals assistance.. So yeah, your shields drop, but the only way they can see you is naked eye, and they get no targeting assistance on you.

I am also starting to feel really streaky at this game, the past couple of times I wandered into the conflict zone I left with 0 damage to any systems or hull, a pile of credits to turn in, and no ammo, compared to a couple of days ago when anytime I went near it solo I was coming out with 1 kill and barely escaping with my life if I was lucky.

Late last night someone on the official forum said they were at 1.2million credits turned in and in the top 40%, I just passed 1 million after my last session so assuming I don't screw everything up in magnificent fashion I should be able to get past that quoted number over the weekend. Whether that'll still put me into top 40 or not I have no clue, but it's nice to have some hope when before I had just assumed it would be out of my reach.

Ok I was a few hundred thousand into the 40% bracket when I went to bed Friday night, Saturday I was out all day and hopped on to maybe do a little late evening.

Boom the entire thing is over and I got pushed back to 70%. Still got 3 million for it, but a little frustrating. I guess there really are a lot of weekend players who turn up and blitz CGs.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    The weekend is always going to be huge

Pretty sure I just lost any chance of getting into the top 70% on the bounty hunting CG given that it's over pretty soon and I just lost an hour and a half of progress because, as far as I can tell, a friendly NPC ship rammed into me while I was coming out of a tricky bit of combat and I went kaboom.

Kind of getting mad at video games currently.