As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
14723401897_6796d1c615_o.png

What is it?
A third-person action-RPG by FromSoftware. It's also the best game on PS4 right now (YMMV, but you're clearly wrong if you disagree.)

What is it on?
Exclusive to the PS4. It is not a timed/limited exclusive. Most likely, this is Sony making up for the fact that they dropped the ball with Demon's Souls.

When does it come out?
It's out! Go forth and hunt!

Is this connected to the Souls series?
May as well call it Gothic Horror Souls. It's faster-paced, but the gameplay is practically the same aside from some mechanical differences.

If you want to try your hand at MP with other PA'ers, use WangHunt as your password. No promises it will work, but you can always try...

• MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    Is Darkbeast Paarl (sp?) even required, and what benefit do I get if not. He seems pretty out of the way for a required boss.

steam_sig.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Darkbeast ain't necessary.
    His rewards, if I am correct, is a hunter badge for Bolt-Style weapons and bolt paper. Lets you buy that stuff from the Hunter's Dream.

He also opens up a route into Old Yarnem.
    NPC spoilers
    You can use the route to befriend Hunter Djura (gattling gun guy). I personally don't know the order of events... but if you sneak into Old Yarn through that door and get to him you can talk to him and learn a gesture.

He does still need to be alive though.

• SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    Just killed logarius. Used holy blade and danced around him. Then I read that he can be parried and back stabbed. Now I feel dumb for not doing that. :?

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    due to my lack of a PS4, i watched a stream of this the other night. seems pretty awesome. anyone want to fill me in on general lore and the like?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    His rewards, if I am correct, is a hunter badge for Bolt-Style weapons and bolt paper. Lets you buy that stuff from the Hunter's Dream.

NPC spoilers
    You can use the route to befriend Hunter Djura (gattling gun guy). I personally don't know the order of events... but if you sneak into Old Yarn through that door and get to him you can talk to him and learn a gesture.

Crap
    it says the route to the hypogean gaol is unavailable. I think it's due to the fact I killed rom and now the moon is red and such. I'd like to go back and kill him. Is it too late now?

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    due to my lack of a PS4, i watched a stream of this the other night. seems pretty awesome. anyone want to fill me in on general lore and the like?

The lore is a spoiler. Like Dark Souls, the player has to piece to together from item descriptions.

What the manual will tell you, is that you are a dying person seeking the fabled panacea that the city of Yahrnam is famous for. However, when you arrive is Yahrnam, you wake up from the operation to find the town swarming with monsters.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Sigh.

Logarius, please, can my bullets not whiz past you into the ether when I try to parry?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Mifio wrote: »

NPC spoilers

Crap
    it says the route to the hypogean gaol is unavailable. I think it's due to the fact I killed rom and now the moon is red and such. I'd like to go back and kill him. Is it too late now?

His route is still open.
    The Unseen Village destroyed that lamp after Rom's demise. However, when you beat Rom it teleported you to their... main gate. You can unlock more lamps in the village and get access to the Darkbeast's passage yet.

Okay, there we go, 3 tries for Logarius. Used two firepapers and just blitzed him because his pattern is just stupid sometimes.
    Try 1 was mostly feeling him out, got killed during a flurry in phase 2.
    Try 2 ran out of vials when he hit the last 20%. I was trying to be too cute waiting for parries rather than R1 punishing in both phases. 3 or 4 times in a row post 50% he'd put the sword down, I'd destroy it (and he'd get a free hit in on me in the process), then he'd put the sword down again.
    Try 3 I just R1'd him to death, successfully got the backstab on phase transition this time too. (Both previous times he was dicking around at the back of the arena the entire fight and I literally couldn't backstab because he was against a wall.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Just beat this a second time with a str character. Hit all the optional bosses I missed and found that damn blood rock.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Yeah. Logarius is deceptive because you'd think the key would be keeping your distance, but just getting in and slugging out with him seems the most effective strategy. Just got him on my fourth or fifth try.

Question about covenants:
    I got a kickass rune for swearing fealty to that Evil Queen Lady. Will Alfred be hostile if I go track him down again?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Yeah. Logarius is deceptive because you'd think the key would be keeping your distance, but just getting in and slugging out with him seems the most effective strategy. Just got him on my fourth or fifth try.

Question about covenants:
    I got a kickass rune for swearing fealty to that Evil Queen Lady. Will Alfred be hostile if I go track him down again?
    No. You can still continue his quest.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Vicar Amelie and the Witches of Hedwick both down and now I'm not quite sure where to go. The message in the dream says to ascend the chapel but I've gone as high as I can and hit a locked door. I could either hit Forbidden Forest, see what's past those two Hunter assholes to the right of Amelie, or explore where those dicks with bags dumped me.

Hmm, having options is a new experience.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The Forbidden Forest is my recommendation. Just be careful, some of the enemies there are hella nasty.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited April 2015
    Joined the Vileblood Covenant.

I need a Blood Dreg!

Headed to Nightmare Frontier, rang my Sinister Bell.

Try 1: Spawned straight into a pair of gankers. They were pretty light on VIT so I could maul them in one combo but they kept switching off pressure and I couldn't close the deal on any one of them and eventually died.
    Try 2: Got mauled by someone 2Handing the Hunter Axe of all things. Probably higher level than me, just staggered on every swing, couldn't do anything.
    Try 3: Very long drawn out battle against someone with Ludwig's. Both of us ran out of bullets, I ran out of vials before he did. : (
    Try 4: Someone with a Tonritus and a Kirkhammer who actually hadn't been just waiting for PVP like all the others and so was actually fighting the two NPC hunters. Murdered the poor bastard in short order!
    ...realized I never equipped the Vileblood Covenant Rune so I didn't get a Blood Dreg. FFFFFFFFF---
    Try 5: Someone also 2Handing a Hunter Axe. Just kept aggressive on him, caught him with a parry and Riposte and left no health left from 1/3ish, then pistoled him twice for the finish. (Checking players met, might have actually been the same guy as Try 2, I was just using Tonritus instead of Kirkhammer this time)

Yaaaaaaay no more invasions ever I'm done, thanks Bloodborne >.>

The Tonritus is surprisingly good in PVP because no has Bolt resistance and the R1 L1 poke into flurry is very good.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    The Tonitrus is really good for PVE too. Really only drawback is a somewhat short range, and limited move set, but it does fantastic damage to most things I've come across.

Logarius' Wheel is weeeeeeeeeeeeird and oh my god it is so easy to kill yourself with this thing

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    ...well make that TWO giant pigs I've sodomized to death...

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've been seeing a lot of "no, just whale on him harder" about bosses. Ah, Taurus.

PLA on
    Are the Cainhurst gargoyles really the best place to farm Chunks? This drop rate isn't spectacular.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    You can farm them or the
    blue eyed werewolves in upper cathedral.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    You can farm them or the
    blue eyed werewolves in upper cathedral.

also make sure to have Eye runes equipped

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So what should I know about chalice dungeons before I dive into them? Which ones do I do for good gems? When do I add something to the ingredients for them?

What level should I be for the Lower ones?

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    So what should I know about chalice dungeons before I dive into them? Which ones do I do for good gems? When do I add something to the ingredients for them?

What level should I be for the Lower ones?

They're just smaller little dungeons. Depth 1 is about level 25, depth 2 about 40, depth 3 about 60, depth 4 about 80, depth 5 about level 100.

By doing the first one you get more chalices to do lower level ones. Each chalice type gives you specific gems, like the pthumerian gives you radials, etc. Theres lots of info in the fextralife bloodborne wiki.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Chalice+Dungeon

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Just ordered one of those Gold Wireless Headsets, pretty much just for this game (and not bugging roommates when playing till 3 in the morning). I've had a few people tell me the surround sound with these is so good that the atmospheric sounds turn it practically into a horror game.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I've been amusing myself by invading people and then showing them secrets. They're so thankfully scared.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So when people co-op are they just making sure they don't have any oaths equipped, or is everyone using Radiance for co-op?

Hunter is definitely the best oath, but apparently you can randomly be set as hostile toward other Hunters

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So when people co-op are they just making sure they don't have any oaths equipped, or is everyone using Radiance for co-op?

Hunter is definitely the best oath, but apparently you can randomly be set as hostile toward other Hunters

I'm going to guess Hunter of Hunters are hostile towards people with high Beasthood or frequent invaders. (Not random.)

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Witch down
    Only took 2 tries, but REALLY cool boss design. I spent most of my first attempt fighting the adds until I figured out what was going on, i.e. how quick the adds respawn and how low the aggro radius on them were, and went pure metal gear witch-hunter on my 2nd attempt. The 2nd witch surprised me, but it also explained why I kept doing huge damage without it registering on the first witche's health bar, because when I finished off witch 1, witch 2 was at 5% health and it just took me a few seconds to track her down. This was my favorite boss since Big Poppa Gascan.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I love this game so much, I cannot remember the last time I was captivated so thoroughly. This single work puts everything else on the PS4 library to shame. Nothing even comes close, GOTY easily.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I'm going to guess Hunter of Hunters are hostile towards people with high Beasthood or frequent invaders. (Not random.)

This could also absolutely be it

When you get set as hostile, it says that the other player is blood addled

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    But to contribute something of merit I'm currently in Old Yharnam and I've heard that it's an optional area but I'm not sure where else I can go, what am I missing?

It's only optional by technicality, honestly

That is the next place you're supposed to go

It's only optional by technicality, honestly

That is the next place you're supposed to go

Neat
    I went up to fight the hunter on the turret and got me teeth kicked in, I assume I should come back to him later?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ugh geez, Darkbeast Pearl NG+ is kicking my ass.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Man
    fuck the blood starved beast. I keep getting it down to a sliver of health and it keeps one shoting me before I can finish it off. Having to replenish my supplies is getting to be really annoying.

That is all.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Man
    fuck the blood starved beast

That is all.

Want to know a neat trick?
    All you have to do is walk around it counter-clockwise and you'll never get hit.

• Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    I just spoiled all of the endings and a bunch of other story stuff for myself on TV Tropes. Why did I do that? I do that with almost every game I play, including the Souls games, and I'm always mad at myself for ruining the ability to piece the story together myself.
    Bloodborne's story isn't a very happy one, eh?

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    post-rom spoilers
    made some progress in yahargul, mostly by running past everything so i could find some lamps

there's not much point fighting anything if they're just going to keep coming back, unless you can be sure you'll be able to murder the bell maiden

fought the main (?) boss, but had no vials. i think i could take him with a couple of heals. i think i knocked him down?

i guess i'll have to kill those three goddamn hunters to get back to darkbeast paarl via the tunnel (didn't kill him before Rom)

is there actually a bell maiden in nightmare frontier? i want her to die so badly.

Evil Multifarious on
    With the three Str weapons with good scaling, if I want to cover all bases while walking around, it seems the best things to do is to stat the Kirkhammer for Fire and then rely on the small sub damage on the Tonritus and Wheel to take care of Bolt and Arcane. Neither seem to switch fully over to doing just that type of damage with a gem like the Kirkhammer does, for better or worse.

XNnw6Gk.jpg