As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I just can't get the Maakrep to cooperate with me. This is the only position I can match up both arms in. Even accounting for her leaning a bit back on the base, the gun should be held way lower on all pics I find online. The front definitely shouldn't be at eye level.

kmxjfl5pfzjn.jpg

wh9ndef10cah.jpg

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind you've put her on a raised base. Take that away and it would probably be closer to the image.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've had a few models like that. Like this guy.

624655_sm-.JPG

Is meant to look like this guy, at the back.
    Sekban-Special-Naval-Unit-2.jpg

Sometimes it's just hard lining arms up the way they do in the studio.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Does anyone know of a conversion site like this http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/vallejo that includes the Vallejo Panzer Aces colours? I've been looking at one of Angel's tutorials and the colours he used, but at least one is a Panzer Aces colour and I'd rather get model/game air if I could.

EDIT: Took me way too damn long, but I think I've figured out some close equivalents. It really shouldn't be that hard to find a close colour going from Model Colour to Model Air.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Vallejo themselves have conversion charts but what's wrong with just using model colour?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Model colour can be a bit of an arsehole to airbrush.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Vallejo themselves have conversion charts but what's wrong with just using model colour?

I'm going to airbrush them and I'd rather have all my new paints airbrush ready out of the bottle so to speak. If I already had the paint that would be one thing, but having to buy them means I'd rather keep things consistent so I don't accidentally drop unthinned model colour in my airbrush.

While they do have conversion charts, they only work if it's an exact match. Not to mention that in at least one case there was no listed match colour to air, but there was a colour -> RLM -> Air match that ended up being a completely different colour all together.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Haven't tried that many VMC paints in the airbrush, but they went on just fine thinned with a bit of water for me.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I use a lot of VMC through the airbrush, including one of the Panzer Aces colors.

Add Vallejo airbrush thinner and it becomes Model Air.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Hey folks!

I'm as green as it gets when it comes to miniature painting, but when I recently bought a copy of Imperial Assault, I figured, eh, lets give it a go.

If you guys don't mind, I'm just gonna periodically include images of miniatures from the game that I've painted.

I'm new to the hobby, so they're not going to be FANTASTIC, but I'll be posting ones that I feel are respectable enough to actually be used in the game.

For reference, they start off looking like this: Miniatures.png

First up, the Engineers. They look... eh.

vn99ks6qx2vr.jpg

I kept making mistakes in painting them, and in correcting one mistake i created another. I kinda got to the point where they looked acceptable and just thought 'You know what, it'll do'. Not masterpieces, but better looking on the board than the unpainted alternative. I tried to cover up serious mistakes with dirt and blaster marks, but I'm not sure the effect is all that good.

Next up, Probe Droids

kf7wtoladod9.jpg

I think they came out looking okay, though perhaps slightly more weathered than I had originally intended. Still decent enough that I don't feel they really need a do-over.

4zbot1h5ijc4.jpg

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    By the time you get through the whole box I think you'll be very surprised at how much you progress. They look like tricky models to paint. How do they scale compared to other ranges?

• Options
    They're pretty close to true 28mm scale.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Imperial Assault is why I started to mess with painting. Check out this YouTube tutorial playlist for some great hints if you havn't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUsfAtyEM0&list=PL6xOeNhrVj9to2nKZjk5H8OAQbG9izBrH

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    Finally been messing with my dark eldar, decided i need 10 grotesques so got my rat ogres, need a second talos for more heads and parts but they are comng along, also i hate that i want to do this but i want 5 talos to do the Corpse thief Claw formation.

CUH7x9S.jpg

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I, too, am messing around with some Dark Eldar I just picked up today. The Kabalite Warrior models are so good. They don't even have mold lines...

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    yeah same here. i have some rat ogres ready to convert.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Anyone got any paint rack recommendations? I use both GW and Vallejo and could use a clean desk

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    And speaking of paint racks. Summer is coming and its starting to get warmer in my hobby room. Do I need to keep my paints and primer sprays somewhere cool perhaps?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Anyone got any paint rack recommendations? I use both GW and Vallejo and could use a clean desk

I use a combination of these. However, they're Australian, to massive postage over the pond, and I also got them when they were having a stocktake clearance at like 50% off.

• Options
    Aaand my first Dark Eldar put together! I'm struggling on color scheme ideas though. I was thinking something like Deathwing Terminators with the bone white armor and dark green on the helms. But them I'm unsure of what to do for accent colors... Maybe oranges or purples?

qxr8p2bl6c8s.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Bone white Dark Eldar can look really, really good. I would say a violet color for an accent color. Like base with GW Screamer Pink and build up to a lighter pink.

And please don't do what everyone seems to do and paint the flayed skin a healthy flesh tone. Flesh isn't a healthy pink when it isn't attached anymore.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Aaand my first Dark Eldar put together! I'm struggling on color scheme ideas though. I was thinking something like Deathwing Terminators with the bone white armor and dark green on the helms. But them I'm unsure of what to do for accent colors... Maybe oranges or purples?

purple you say

• Options
    Bone white Dark Eldar can look really, really good. I would say a violet color for an accent color. Like base with GW Screamer Pink and build up to a lighter pink.

And please don't do what everyone seems to do and paint the flayed skin a healthy flesh tone. Flesh isn't a healthy pink when it isn't attached anymore.

Agreed! I wasn't even going to dream of doing that as I hate it so much. I'm also not going to paint all flesh scraps the same damn flesh tone.
    Dayspring wrote: »
    purple you say

I know you people love purple... And I love purple too. I thought I'd throw out orange as an option because I use purple on every. I will probably go with purple. I will most definitely go with purple.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

Yeah, aint' it the truth? Just ask Old West robber and murderer Big Nose George Parrott.

WYRAWbignose_9888.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm going with an ivory white and orange/purple scheme for my DE.

I'm regretting my choice.

• Options
    i was teaching a student today and he was involved in the fashion industry and i asked "what is your least favourite colour combination" and he said "black and pink" and I said THOSE ARE THE MOST BLESSED COLOUR OF FULGRIM'S PERFECT LEGION GIVE YOUR SOUL TO SHE WHO THIRSTS and then i ascended to spawndom

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I love that you consider that an ascension.

• Options
    andrewlkolodziejandrewlkolodziej Wilmington, OhioRegistered User new member
    Sorry, but I am new to these forums and was wondering if anyone had ever discussed using paper or card-stock minis and terrain on here before and if there was a different thread for for that?

Check out my gaming blog at http://thedailyrpg.com
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Not that I recall, no. We're all plastic/resin/metal addicts in here. BUT, given your distinctly Polish surname, I'm willing to participate in such a discussion.
    Are you looking for print-and-cut cardboard silhouettes or 3d card-stock models for individual assembly? I do have some resources on the latter.

• Options
    bqfDoAy.jpg

wWNJyeE.jpg

xRN09A3.jpg

This looks really difficult. :(

Oh come on!

HJyOfpM.jpg

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    @J, are you supposed to drill for those or are you supposed to believe that superglue can hold them on.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ah, real models ...
    You've just reminded me I have a tank model kit somewhere back at my parent's place I got when I was growing up. It had a mine-flail on the front which came with real chains you were supposed to suspend. I'm not sure when I'll be good enough at hobbies to actually put that one together.
    Otherwise, I know a bunch of Gundam kits use springs for hoses and such. Shit gets real when you move into boxed kits rather than miniatures.

• Options
    There appears to be small holes in the hull for them to fit into.

And yeah, this is bananas compared to anything I've assembled before.

• Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Starting finishing up prepping this little guy for airbrushing with my world breaker.. I got a giggle because it makes him look like he is grabbing his big ole dragon dong at this angle.

Secondary bonus nerd points to anyone who can ID all the other board/miniature gaming stuff in the background that accidentally made it into this picture behind my paint.
    F1F862C1-146A-45B7-A76D-5AEDC31169B5_zps2eluzpaa.jpg

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    alqadim wrote: »
    Starting finishing up prepping this little guy for airbrushing with my world breaker.. I got a giggle because it makes him look like he is grabbing his big ole dragon dong at this angle.

Secondary bonus nerd points to anyone who can ID all the other board/miniature gaming stuff in the background that accidentally made it into this picture behind my paint.
    F1F862C1-146A-45B7-A76D-5AEDC31169B5_zps2eluzpaa.jpg

IT'S PAINT!

I also see Trains, Suburbia, Imperial Assault, and many other things that are far too obscured for me to identify.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    There appears to be small holes in the hull for them to fit into.

And yeah, this is bananas compared to anything I've assembled before.

I remembered more:
    The step in the instructions where you're shown an open flame / match and are supposed to heat the ammo belts to bend them into place to fit in the machine guns.
    Real models are fucked, yo.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've got a T34/85 tank sitting in my closet for the last decade, because when I got it for christmas I opened it up, saw that the tracks were all individual links, and then closed it up again.
    according to the instruction book, you have to align them with a piece of armature wire, then cutt little pins out of more wire to link them together so theyre fully articulated. 0_o

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Lg26r8Z.jpg

Gonna keep posting partially painted minis and never complete any of them. It's that sort of month.

• Options
    that green is nice

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Is that a Hasslefree mini?

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.