As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The Tonritus does WAY more damage after hitting l1.

Look in the stat screen with it normal, then again right after hitting l1. For me it adds like 200+ damage.

Man
    fuck the blood starved beast. I keep getting it down to a sliver of health and it keeps one shoting me before I can finish it off. Having to replenish my supplies is getting to be really annoying.

That is all.

A couple tips
    There is a message on the ground outside telling you to ring for help. If you do an NPC will join you. This helps a lot, just to divide aggro.

Fire paper works really well if you have any.

Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's only optional by technicality, honestly

That is the next place you're supposed to go

Neat
    I went up to fight the hunter on the turret and got me teeth kicked in, I assume I should come back to him later?

He's just a hard fight in general. If you want to cheese him you can
    Just start shooting immediately and knock him back off the edge.

Alternatively...
    You don't actually have to fight him. You can just keep going.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The Tonritus does WAY more damage after hitting l1.

Look in the stat screen with it normal, then again right after hitting l1. For me it adds like 200+ damage.

Oh yeah, no doubt. That thing hits like a truck and swings fast. I just don't like relying on it if I don't have to because the durability drains so fast.

Right now I'm maining Wheel with Tonritus sub for fast swings. Kirkhammer unequipped at the moment but still in inventory.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    E, DotC slapped me silly. I had to stopped for the night because she's killed me in such frustrating ways.
    I use L2 on the head to do damage at first. I try to bait out the head slam, but then that charge catch me so many times. If I back off too far then I can't come back in soon enough and I hit air. Sometimes I do well enough to get it almost dead but then it does some laser shit or charge tentacle swing and kill me. I think the closest I got it down was maybe 3 hits away and it instant killed me somehow with laser.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm going crazy. I was watching someone on twitch fight Ebriatas, and it looked like everything was sped up. Her attacks seemed to have less of a delay in the video than when I fought her.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Woo! On the final chalice level I need for the trophy! The fights to get here were ROUGH. Super excited now though. May put it off for a bit, the last boss took a lot out of me. Its getting closer and closer though, I can almost feel the Platinum Trophy.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You all convinced me to buy the Gold Headset. It breaks my heart becuase I have a pair of SteelSeries Siberia v2s sitting right next to my PC, but these will come in handy when I have a room mate in the summer and I'm trying to whoop Cthulhu's ass.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Eileen after Father G:
    So, she died on that fight with the hunter. I kept wailing on him and he just kept fighting Eileen, and then he got to about 20% and she took her last blow. So that's that for her side quest? It's just over and I literally need to restart if I care to do it? It's not too far in, but blah... Annoying structure.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Kryhs wrote: »
    Eileen after Father G:
    So, she died on that fight with the hunter. I kept wailing on him and he just kept fighting Eileen, and then he got to about 20% and she took her last blow. So that's that for her side quest? It's just over and I literally need to restart if I care to do it? It's not too far in, but blah... Annoying structure.
    yeah, that's it. you didn't miss that much, maybe a gesture or two and a decent-but-not-great rune

her badge is the good stuff, and you get that no matter how she dies

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Except the "decent-but-not-great" thing is the best "thing" of all three available.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited April 2015
    Arthil wrote: »
    Except the "decent-but-not-great" thing is the best "thing" of all three available.
    that just means the other two are worse

losing it isn't gonna cripple a playthrough, and personally, the completionist in me would be bugged more by missing the gestures

Elendil on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Was catching up on PA threads from Friday and didn't notice new thread... oops. We should get a mod to close that other one :confused:

I skipped the unread 1.7k posts of last thread to not read spoilers, but I just killed Amelia after about 10 tries. There's something really therapeutic about taking a break from getting stuck, coming back to the fold a day or two later, and destroying your obstacle on your first try back. Afterwards I went and cleared all the extra side paths before heading into that small wood area. Onward to Hemwick!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Rerolled about 25 hours in after I fell out of love with the Stake Driver. After looking at a list of weapons I decided that Strength wasn't the right build for me.

Amazing concept for a weapon. Really satisfying when you hit an enemy with a R2 Charge but I can't help but feel it's moveset is bugged. I find that all too often I would miss after a dodge or trade blows due to it's deceptively short range. I tried to get used to it but it just never fully jived. Maybe I wasn't getting the timing right but I was using entirely too many potions all the time. It just didn't feel right.

Now I'm just about caught back up with a Skill/Blood build and I'm having a blast. The Rifle Spear is my jam right now.

I hate spoilers for the most part but I'll definitely be looking at list of weapons when the next game comes out. I could have potentially avoided a reroll if I had done some cursory research on weapons.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am really tempted to make a max Bloodtinge guy with Evelyn, Chikage, and Reiterpallasch.

And Vash/Alucard style glasses.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    I am really tempted to make a max Bloodtinge guy with Evelyn, Chikage, and Reiterpallasch.

Way ahead of ya! 8-)

abj116gd62m1.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Vicar Amelie and the Witches of Hedwick both down and now I'm not quite sure where to go. The message in the dream says to ascend the chapel but I've gone as high as I can and hit a locked door. I could either hit Forbidden Forest, see what's past those two Hunter assholes to the right of Amelie, or explore where those dicks with bags dumped me.

Hmm, having options is a new experience.

There are clues around the cathedral ward that point you to the fact that through the Forbidden Woods into Byrgenwerth is the path forward. You also have to have gotten the cutscene post Vicar to open the door to Forbidden woods. Hemwick Lane and the Witch boss are actually optional, though good since you gotta go there to be able to unlock caryll runes in the workshop.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Keep in mind with the Reiter that it scales off dex for it's sword damage, and scales off Tinge for the gun damage. It's a great Hybrid Dex/Tinge weapon.

Oh, one really, REALLY important thing about the Reiter.

IT'S

FUCKING

BUFFABLE.

With fire/bolt paper and I believe the arcane buff too.

And the buffs effect bullet damage! I guess that's to make up for not being able to Ash the gun.

edited April 2015
    So I'm going to have to say that Miyazaki was either blowing a little hot air or the devs at From aren't very good at their own game now that I've almost beaten NG+. Pre release he was saying how the guys at From were having a hard time beating NG+ it was so hard. It doesn't seem hard at all to me. Granted, I only had trouble on a couple bosses in NG, and one of them I won't even be fighting this time(Ebrietas), so she might slow me down on NG+, but even then I'm not sure because I figured out her fight now.

From what I can tell, nothing even changes. No new enemies or changed bosses or anything. I've decided to just do NG+ and ++ to get the other 2 ending trophies on my main character, because if I do it on a new character I'll feel like I need to run around picking up everything whereas on this guy I don't need to pick up duplicates of stuff and what not.

At first I thought man NG+ is going to be a chore because Cleric Beast seemed to have a mega ton of health. But I realized the reason for that is just that when I ended NG+ my Ludwig build was at 40 VIT, 30 END, 30 STR, 30 SKL. Well apparently your damage stats don't soft cap until 50 because I was getting huge damage gains on STR all the way to 50, and now I'm taking SKL to 50 too and suddenly the NG+ bosses are dying just as easily as they did on NG.

It probably took me like 4 or 5 hours total to get from the beginning of NG+ to where I am now, which is right before the MWN boss fight. It's so funny how long it takes you to explore areas like Yara'ghul or Nightmare of Mensis your first time through, but then when you don't need all the items or you know where to run they take like 5 minutes of running to get to the shortcuts and bosses.

I got Eileen's quest this time since I didn't let her die, and I'd argue that not only is her rune the best because the other options just aren't that good, hers is actually really useful. I haven't tested how much it gives you, but any Chloranthy Ring is welcome for me, because I burn my whole stamina bar on 2h Ludwig swings and not having to wait as long for it to come back to get back in the action is great.

Joshmvii on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Vicar Amelie and the Witches of Hedwick both down and now I'm not quite sure where to go. The message in the dream says to ascend the chapel but I've gone as high as I can and hit a locked door. I could either hit Forbidden Forest, see what's past those two Hunter assholes to the right of Amelie, or explore where those dicks with bags dumped me.

There are clues around the cathedral ward that point you to the fact that through the Forbidden Woods into Byrgenwerth is the path forward. You also have to have gotten the cutscene post Vicar to open the door to Forbidden woods. Hemwick Lane and the Witch boss are actually optional, though good since you gotta go there to be able to unlock caryll runes in the workshop.

Where can I find those two bosses? I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall on Vicar Amelia. I don't think my character is high enough level for her yet. When I hit her, her health barely moves. I'm level 24.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Where can I find those two bosses? I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall on Vicar Amelia. I don't think my character is high enough level for her yet. When I hit her, her health barely moves. I'm level 24.

Amelia:
    Use fire or bolt paper, that's what I did. Then just try to stay close range behind her so she doesn't try to heal herself.

Hemwick Location:
    When approaching the grand cathedral, go the left path instead of into the building. Go through the cave, and clear that forest (dogs and gunmen). Hemwick is on the other side of the forest.

Amelia:
    Use fire or bolt paper, that's what I did. Then just try to stay close range behind her so she doesn't try to heal herself.

Hemwick Location:
    When approaching the grand cathedral, go the left path instead of into the building. Go through the cave, and clear that forest (dogs and gunmen). Hemwick is on the other side of the forest.
    Also, one more location you can do before Amelia:
    Lose on purpose to one of the tall fuckers with a bag and get taken to Hypogean Gaol. There's a boss in that area gating friendly access to a certain NPC you already encountered as well as the best farming spot for Twin Bloodstone Shards

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

Amelia:

Hemwick Location:
    Lose on purpose to one of the tall fuckers with a bag and get taken to Hypogean Gaol. There's a boss in that area gating friendly access to a certain NPC you already encountered as well as the best farming spot for Twin Bloodstone Shards
    I guess I haven't encountered a tall fucker with a bag. I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Are there any bosses or anything down in the Old Yharnam part of the zone? I've been avoiding it because the gatling gun guy is a dick.

If I go kill him, will he stay dead, or does he respawn when the player dies or resets the zones?

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Keep in mind with the Reiter that it scales off dex for it's sword damage, and scales off Tinge for the gun damage. It's a great Hybrid Dex/Tinge weapon.

Oh, one really, REALLY important thing about the Reiter.

IT'S

FUCKING

BUFFABLE.

With fire/bolt paper and I believe the arcane buff too.

And the buffs effect bullet damage! I guess that's to make up for not being able to Ash the gun.

Hmmm. I might need to upgrade and sub this weapon in on my current Skill character. Only 10 Bloodtinge, but 15 Arcane for the buff.

Or I could go 15 Arcane and 25 Skill on the Bloodtinge character. :\

vagrant_winds on

Amelia:

Hemwick Location:
    I guess I haven't encountered a tall fucker with a bag. I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Are there any bosses or anything down in the Old Yharnam part of the zone? I've been avoiding it because the gatling gun guy is a dick.

If I go kill him, will he stay dead, or does he respawn when the player dies or resets the zones?

He stays dead and there is a boss down past him... unless you've taken an alternate path (?) to reach it.

steam_sig.png
    nightmare mensis boss
    oh, her attacks have interesting patterns, this is kind of neat. challenging, but neat

screen turns purple
    boss goes partially invisible
    spawns two doubles

god damn it

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    nightmare mensis boss
    oh, her attacks have interesting patterns, this is kind of neat. challenging, but neat

screen turns purple
    spawns two doubles

god damn it
    Just run around the arena in a circle until the clone despawns

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Argh I get so locked into using one weapon in these games. The Rifle Spear has been my crutch. Took it to +9. Blade of Mercy at +6 felt so weak to the RS at +6 with 30 Skill. I may try moving to Reitter now. It's also at +6.

Question about Unseen Village:
    Is this Boss the trigger for NG+? He kicked my ass this morning and it "feels" end-gamish.

Also how do you get to Upper Cathedral Ward? I'm not sure if I've missed an area. I've cleared:
    Forbidden Wood
    Byrgenworth
    Amelia
    Paarn
    Cainhurst

Going Hybrid X/X is weird in this game. There are a few, focused cases where this is the best thing ever oh my god yes but it's very, very focused, while, ironically, the "ALL STR or ALL DEX" builds have a bit more flexibility.

Like, if you're going to go Dex/Arcane, Blades of Mercy(And I think the burial blade?) are your choices. However both come with built in arcane damage, so both of them aren't buffable. But, this does allow you do use some of the utility spells like the Hunter's Bone or Beast Roar.

Same for Strength/Arcane and the Wheel(Isn't there another arcane Str weapon?).

And same for Dex/Tinge and the Reiter/Evelyn combo.

Contrast that with pure Tinge, for instance, and you get the Chikage and every gun.

Or Strength, and you get the god-level Hunter's Axe/Kirkhammer/Hunter's Saw/Tonny/Cannon combo.

Or pure Dex and you get things like the Rifle Spear, the Saw Spear and the pimp cane and can still use the Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy if you're feelin saucy.

Or, if you go pure Arcane and get nearly EVERY single weapon as long as you meet the stat requirements and some good elemental flexibility.

It's strange. Good, but strange!

Amelia:

Hemwick Location:

Wait...
    Okay, that makes more sense.

Yes, clear Old Yharnam first. Ideally leave the gatling guy alive for the moment. There's an area with an NPC Hunter and some loot past him (Charred Set, Rifle Spear) that'll be a pain in the ass to clear out with him still alive but it's worth it (skip that enemy and the loot for now if you're really having trouble, it's fine). Kill the boss at the bottom. Technically leaving the gatling gun guy up sort of blocks using one of the intermediate shortcuts in the zone but it's not *that* far between that one and the next one that you can probably deal.

This will spawn in bag fuckers as well as open up access to the Workshop, which I mentioned in a previous post and you remarked that you hadn't been to. You can use the Workshop to also access the rest of Cathedral Ward, get the item to buy Ludwig's and Fire Paper, and find a secret area. There are three bag fuckers now in the Cathedral Ward, the closest which replaces the large crow spawn you could find if you went straight from the Cathedral Ward lamp and hooked hard right.

As for why you leave the gatling guy alive:
    There's a zone that opens up once you get killed by a bag fucker. If you kill the boss there, you exit back into Old Yharnam. With that boss dead, if you spawn in from that lamp or the Old Yharnam's boss's lamp and work your way back up (not hard, it's a straight shot from that boss's lamp), the gatling guy will be non-hostile and you can talk to him.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    IRIC, Blades of Mercy still does more damage with 50 Skill than 25 Skill/25 Arcane.

Gonna spoiler it:
    Hemwick Charnel Lane and the Witch boss is if you go to the left right before the last set of steps to go up to Vicar Amelia's cathedral. My first playthrough I did that area prior to doing Vicar Amelia and found her pretty easy, so maybe think about doing that if you want to level up some more. I'd also suggest doing Old Yharnam and the BSB there before Vicar. Hell, if you do BSB first and want some souls and also to level up your weapon a bit more, get captured by a bag man post BSB, go to Unseen Village and farm the bag men there for Twin Blood Stone Shards to get your weapon to +6. There are also a lot of Twin Shards in Hemwick, which would help you level up your weapon for Vicar.

After you've done Vicar, the path to Forbidden Woods -> Byrgenwerth leaves from the circular courtyard with the big church giants. One of them will be in front of a gate on the side and that takes you to the door to Forbidden Woods, which you can't use until you've defeated Vicar Amelia.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    This game has consumed me, and I'm so awful at it. I'm 20 hours in and I only just opened a shortcut to the Gatling gun guy. I literally shouted for joy when I beat Father Gascoigne. Finding the Spear was like finding an Oasis in the desert.

The main way I would improve this game, and this is from a sales perspective, is to not make the opening section so brutal. As someone new to the Souls series, getting from the start of the game to the Cleric Beast and beating him (her?) has easily been the most difficult and frustrating part of the game so far. If I hadn't had people in my house watching and cheering me on I would have given up on the game before I ever beat that boss. I imagine many newbies are the same. It gets much easier once you pass that point and I'm chopping down motherfuckers left right and centre.

At the beginning part there is a wall where you simply don't understand what to do, both in terms of mechanics and progression. I'd have preferred a smoother introduction to the mechanics and then a really super fucking hard section to show what you've learned, instead of a brick wall at the beginning that will make many new players quit.

I would probably also make the inventory screen less like something from the early 90's. Most new players won't understand scaling (I certainly didn't) and half the stats don't seem to mean anything.

Again though... I love this game and I'm obsessed with it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Argh I get so locked into using one weapon in these games. The Rifle Spear has been my crutch. Took it to +9. Blade of Mercy at +6 felt so weak to the RS at +6 with 30 Skill. I may try moving to Reitter now. It's also at +6.

Is this Boss the trigger for NG+? He kicked my ass this morning and it "feels" end-gamish.

No

you'll know when you hit the last boss

LxX6eco.jpg
    Also how do you get to Upper Cathedral Ward? I'm not sure if I've missed an area. I've cleared:
    Forbidden Wood
    Byrgenworth
    Amelia
    Paarn
    Cainhurst

There is a key in a locked cage in Unseen Village

LxX6eco.jpg
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    nightmare mensis boss

screen turns purple
    spawns two doubles

god damn it
    Just run around the arena in a circle until the clone despawns
    yeah, once i knew i could time it out, it wasn't so bad. it's easy to fall into a rhythm of getting repeatedly staggered and caught during a heal in the purple phase, but if you can avoid getting hit in the first place, you're in the clear. one of the easier bosses i've come across lately. though the last guy wasn't so bad, either

Forbidden Wood
    Byrgenworth
    Amelia
    Paarn
    Cainhurst

Answers in Spoilers:
    No the boss of Unseen Village is not the last boss. You still have another entire area with 2 bosses, THEN you can access the final boss(es). The end game happens when you go to the Hunter's Dream and something obvious has changed that you cannot miss, and you don't get automatically pushed into the last fights so don't worry about being shoved to NG+ without warning, other than when you are clearly going to fight the last boss.

As for Upper Cathedral Ward, the key to get in there is in Unseen Village. It's super duper easy to miss and I only found it because you see it inside a cage earlier on and I just explored like hell to figure out how to get in there. You know the platform that has a bunch of asshole witch type enemies, and if you run past them and down the stairs you will have an Amygdala shooting the ground with lasers? On that platform(before you go down the stairs), over to the right part of the railing is broken and you can drop down. From there, you explore around a bit and you'll be able to get the upper cathedral ward key. I would recommend it for sure, because the area is super spooky but fairly short, and has one amusing but interesting from a lore perspective boss and another hard but fun boss.

In case you're wondering if you missed any of them, the optional areas in the game are:

Old Yharnam(Boss)

Healing Church Workshop(just the badge for the Ludwig sword, the abandoned workshop and the items there, and the path to opening the 10k echoes door without paying the 10k if you want to do that.

Hemwick Charnel Lane(Boss)

Hypogean Gaol, though you can go here later as part of the story.(Boss)

Nightmare Frontier(Boss)

Iosefka's Clinic

Cainhurst Castle(Boss)

Upper Cathedral Ward(Bossx2)

• SchlagholzerSchlagholzer Registered User regular
    I completely missed the Upper Cathedral Ward...bummer.

I loved this game, but having the option to manually start NG+ would have been pretty great.

That said, beating
    Gehrman & Moon Presence
    on my first go at them was pretty boss-a-saurus. I think I was over-leveled, but that's okay.

PSN ID : Schlagholzer
    IRIC, Blades of Mercy still does more damage with 50 Skill than 25 Skill/25 Arcane.

Blades of Mercy scaling is S/B SKL/ARC, and also the physical part of their damage is double the arcane part, so they're definitely more of a Skill weapon than an Arcane one. IMO the best bet with them would be to go 50 SKL and then level your arcane after that, and if you really want to level the ARC earlier, do it only as much as you need to use the hunter's tools you're interested in.

IMO Blades of Mercy are good for a SKL build that dips into Arcane, but if you're trying to do a full on Arcane build with base STR/SKL, the 100% best option is to have two Ludwig's, one of them gemmed with bolt and +dmg to kin, and one of them gemmed with fire and +dmg to beasts, and switch accordingly.

I don't mind being overleveled in this game, because it really really rewards smart leveling.