As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2015
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    My issue with fighting the Master honestly was having some random attacks slip through paralysis and knockdown. I'd have the mez up and be working on the next debuff and then everybody is just dead. After having that happen at two dots left I just cheesed it.

I got through the game with my character a cipher with that paralyze/stuck AOE spell. Very often I tried to refresh paralysis on things when the tooltip said 1-2 sec left. The debuff got extended on the tooltip but the enemy was ignoring it. I had to let it expire first before I could paralyze again. Or is the master below even worse?

I found the same thing early on, so I'd wait until the debuff expired (or was very close) before casting again. With the Master it was clearly down/paralyzed because Eder wasn't losing half his health in chunks, and then boom erry body is dead. I've seen other posts expressing the same thing, so either: it has an attack on a set timer that you can't get around whatsoever, it started the attack and it can't be interrupted, or the model was improperly locked into mez one and the timers were incorrect.

I have seen that last one, though! If you knock something prone and then hit it with another mez it'll scoot around in its butt for the rest of the fight. I had one of the dryads with silly names zooming around after I knocked it prone and dominated it. EDIT - It happens to Lurkers a lot, too.

A duck! on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I ended up beating the Master by grazing a petrify with Aloth. It was a pretty hollow victory.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I ended up beating the Master by grazing a petrify with Aloth. It was a pretty hollow victory.

I saw a post where a guy did it with a solo Cipher on hard mode with a petrify trap, a blunderbuss and the confuse power for the other enemies. I thought about just reloading until Aloth actually hit with it, but after like 5 tries I moved on.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It's really too bad because I've enjoyed nearly every other fight. The only other fight that was weird was the final bounty because all those Vithrack were tossing mindblast-type spells that apparently don't have a spell effect. Kind of weird just watching your party fall over for no reason.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    apparently this is a game I need to be playing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Most(all) of the common large bugs got wiped out, especially with a new game, with that last patch. Some other minor ones cropped up with the patch, well they can be large if you're into achievements since console fixing stops those.

Cabezone on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    hippofant wrote: »
    Just finished. Am... sorta pretty seriously still confused.
    I'm not totally understanding how the cosmology fits in with the main scheme here.

So my understanding is, the Engwithans used those giant machines of theirs to sacrifice themselves to make these "gods". (Anybody else find it weird that there are 11 of them?) And then went about trying to spread their faith, with the full intent of dying out as a civilization after. Thaos, in particular, gets imbued with magical BS powers to live forever, so he can ensure the plan continues to work in preventing great evil (by committing his own great evils but whatevs). The gods agree to a pact of minimal interference in mortal affairs.

At some point after that, Woedica gets too big for her britches, and the other gods kill (?) her off. Was Woedica original the Zeus of them all? Where/what is she now? In any event, Thaos, for whatever reason, aligns himself with her - their relationship is unclear - uses the machines to steal a lot of souls, and plans to send those souls to re-empower Woedica for some unknown reason. Eothas possibly figures this shit out, comes down to Redceras and tries to invade Dyrwood to stop it (?), and then Magram, for some reason, kills Eothas for it (?????).

And then you come along, the gods tell you to stop Woedica, except Skane is actually working for Woedica. They're all like, Woedica's going to take over everything if you don't stop her, but we won't violate our pact to stop her, even though she's totally going to violate the pact if nobody stops her. But they're also complicit in the lie that's been perpetrated about their existence, and they send you down into the pit, where they presumably know (???) you'll run into Iothava who will tell you the truth.

Does that seem right? Cuz if so, then questions:
    1. What the hell does Woedica actually have to do with anything? Is Thaos trying to preserve the Engwithan secret or trying to restore Woedica or both? And if both, what do the two have to with each other?
    2. Why the hell did Magram kill Eothas, if he's trying to stop Woedica, who she also wants to stop? Just to protect the Dyrwood?
    3. Or is it just because Eothas broke the pact? Which is still senseless, because they're all like, "We gotta obey the pact! Even if it means it will result in someone else breaking the pact and ruling over us!"
    4. Do these other gods not want to keep the natures of their existence secret?
    5. Do all the gods have these machines set up for them, or just Woedica? (Thaos says that Summer in Sun is a special shrine for Woedica?)
    6. Why now? Wodica's been AWOL for centuries. People have been pushing with animancy research for a long time. Is there some reason why this whole plot is being put into action now but not sooner? Thaos could've resurrected Woedica a long long time ago!

I feel like I'm vaguely following each of the two plotlines independently well enough, but their sudden conjoinment at the end is just really strange to me.

My understanding:
    We don't know many details about what exactly happened to Woedica. It seems like she aspired to be the "Zeus" of the pantheon but the other gods united against her. I also didn't follow exactly when this happened. There was a temple to Woedica in Defiance Bay still up and running as recently as the revolution, which was about 150 years ago in game time. So her fall may be more recent than that?

What the hell does Woedica actually have to do with anything? Is Thaos trying to preserve the Engwithan secret or trying to restore Woedica or both? And if both, what do the two have to with each other?
    Both, I think. Thaos is a priest of Woedica, so he wants to bring her back, and he also wants to protect the secret. The two goals are both logical considering who he is, there's no particular thing other than that connecting them.
    Why the hell did Magram kill Eothas, if he's trying to stop Woedica, who she also wants to stop? Just to protect the Dyrwood?
    Eothas (may have, if Waidwen was really him) taken human form and meddled directly in kith affairs, which is against the agreement. He overstepped, like Durance keeps saying.
    Or is it just because Eothas broke the pact? Which is still senseless, because they're all like, "We gotta obey the pact! Even if it means it will result in someone else breaking the pact and ruling over us!"
    But that didn't happen... they kept to the pact, working through human agents (who built the godhammer) and not interfering directly. Their plan worked, basically. And I'm not sure that Eothas/Waidwen was a threat to rule over them or anything, unless I missed something. He might've ruled the places he was conquering, but not the other gods.
    Do these other gods not want to keep the natures of their existence secret?
    I believe they all do, with the possible exception of Eothas, whose motivations are still unclear and may be sequel/expansion bait. I think they want Woedica to stay "dead" enough to take the risk of a few people learning their secret. Also I'm not sure if they knew of our soul's connection to Iorvara (sp?), which is what allowed you to talk to her down there.
    Do all the gods have these machines set up for them, or just Woedica? (Thaos says that Summer in Sun is a special shrine for Woedica?)
    Not known, but it's likely.
    Why now? Wodica's been AWOL for centuries. People have been pushing with animancy research for a long time. Is there some reason why this whole plot is being put into action now but not sooner? Thaos could've resurrected Woedica a long long time ago!
    I'm not sure he could've... it takes time to put together an entire secret society with agents and cells and secret bases and so forth, and enough people loyal enough to sacrifice themselves to fuel the biawac machines. Thaos is a patient guy.

Yougottawanna on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with how they build these plot-provided NPC's. A Paladin with a Might of 12 ? Really ? Because 13 would have been just too high ? I wonder, again, just well the devs understood the game they created.

And since the artwork is a black woman, we'll give her a Jamaican accent in the voice acting, because all dark-pigmented women come from Jamaica, right ?

Fairchild on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    There is no Jamaica on this planet.

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with how they build these plot-provided NPC's. A Paladin with a Might of 12 ? Really ? Because 13 would have been just too high ? I wonder, again, just well the devs understood the game they created.

And since the artwork is a black woman, we'll give her a Jamaican accent in the voice acting, because all dark-pigmented women come from Jamaica, right ?

Because they don't min/max the companions--they're all flawed. Except maybe Eder. He's a peach. They give you the option to build anything you want for your party, too. I don't see the issue.

And not all black people come from Jamaica, but some do. None of the accents make sense, because not Earth.
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    There is no Jamaica on this planet.

There's no England, either. But there are plenty of those accents, too. Middle Earth was filled with 'em.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Ones from the island nation of Vailia might.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I thought she had some kind of Iberian accent. At least that's how I fit the republics in.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I don't see what's so bad about a paladin with a low Might score. I made a custom paladin Shieldbearer with Might 10 and she is as good at tanking as Eder. I gave her the DR aura and Liberating whatsitcalled for additional support.

I really don't care about her damage. I want her to hold the line and support the other melee/mid-range classes (Eder, Durance, Grieving Mother). She does that beautifully.

I understand that Bleak Walkers are pretty great damage dealers, but that's kind of a specific build, no?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Met Sagani. I rather like her. Though her explanation about Boreal Dwarves being a thing is kind of amusing being that I'm, you know, also a Boreal Dwarf. I like to imagine my character spent most of that doing a "...uh, hello?" face.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Met Sagani. I rather like her. Though her explanation about Boreal Dwarves being a thing is kind of amusing being that I'm, you know, also a Boreal Dwarf. I like to imagine my character spent most of that doing a "...uh, hello?" face.

Is your boreal dwarf also from the tundra? He/she could be from anywhere, esp. from the Living Lands for the +1 might.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    what do you guys eat?

i've been having my tank and barbarian drink an ale before going into dungeons. but i'm certain there are some really beneficial food items i should be crafting/buying.

steam_sig.png
  • SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    I was feeling a little downbeat about this game after reading so much about the various bugs. I think I was reading too much into it because I don't think I can pay close enough attention to their ruleset to notice combat related bugs that aren't super duper obvious. Anyway, I finally got started and not much has happened quite yet but I'm excited to properly start this game again. I'll be taking a personal day to play for a long while, and let it get it's hooks in.

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I didn't know about the bugs when I gotten it yesterday and the first thing that came to my mind was 'OMG this game feels so good compared to the old CRPG of this type!'

I"m super hype to play the rest of the game.

• SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    Yeah that's kind of what I wanted to say. It felt good to be playing a game like this, and knowing I have the whole thing ahead of me yet.

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

Is your boreal dwarf also from the tundra? He/she could be from anywhere, esp. from the Living Lands for the +1 might.

She's not from the tundra, no. That's why the explanation about the villages made sense. But the whole talking about Boreal Dwarves in third person is sort of "seriously, did you the notice the skin and how I'm like 140 cm tall?"

Maybe Sagani is a little bit prejudiced and thinks those living outside of the tribes don't count as real Boreal Dwarves. Either way she's neat.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So i started playing this over the weekend. I picked apparently rather poorly however since i went with a wizard. i did alright in the tutorial section, but once i got on my own, i use my spells, which barely can kill a wolf, then finally made it to the village where i meet my first party member....of course, hes another wizard. we spent a short time getting 1 shot by that stupid bear before i stopped playing. I think i need to start with someone who can meele worth a damn.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Just finished. Am... sorta pretty seriously still confused.
    I'm not totally understanding how the cosmology fits in with the main scheme here.

So my understanding is, the Engwithans used those giant machines of theirs to sacrifice themselves to make these "gods". (Anybody else find it weird that there are 11 of them?) And then went about trying to spread their faith, with the full intent of dying out as a civilization after. Thaos, in particular, gets imbued with magical BS powers to live forever, so he can ensure the plan continues to work in preventing great evil (by committing his own great evils but whatevs). The gods agree to a pact of minimal interference in mortal affairs.

At some point after that, Woedica gets too big for her britches, and the other gods kill (?) her off. Was Woedica original the Zeus of them all? Where/what is she now? In any event, Thaos, for whatever reason, aligns himself with her - their relationship is unclear - uses the machines to steal a lot of souls, and plans to send those souls to re-empower Woedica for some unknown reason. Eothas possibly figures this shit out, comes down to Redceras and tries to invade Dyrwood to stop it (?), and then Magram, for some reason, kills Eothas for it (?????).

And then you come along, the gods tell you to stop Woedica, except Skane is actually working for Woedica. They're all like, Woedica's going to take over everything if you don't stop her, but we won't violate our pact to stop her, even though she's totally going to violate the pact if nobody stops her. But they're also complicit in the lie that's been perpetrated about their existence, and they send you down into the pit, where they presumably know (???) you'll run into Iothava who will tell you the truth.

Does that seem right? Cuz if so, then questions:
    1. What the hell does Woedica actually have to do with anything? Is Thaos trying to preserve the Engwithan secret or trying to restore Woedica or both? And if both, what do the two have to with each other?
    2. Why the hell did Magram kill Eothas, if he's trying to stop Woedica, who she also wants to stop? Just to protect the Dyrwood?
    3. Or is it just because Eothas broke the pact? Which is still senseless, because they're all like, "We gotta obey the pact! Even if it means it will result in someone else breaking the pact and ruling over us!"
    4. Do these other gods not want to keep the natures of their existence secret?
    5. Do all the gods have these machines set up for them, or just Woedica? (Thaos says that Summer in Sun is a special shrine for Woedica?)
    6. Why now? Wodica's been AWOL for centuries. People have been pushing with animancy research for a long time. Is there some reason why this whole plot is being put into action now but not sooner? Thaos could've resurrected Woedica a long long time ago!

I feel like I'm vaguely following each of the two plotlines independently well enough, but their sudden conjoinment at the end is just really strange to me.

My understanding:
    We don't know many details about what exactly happened to Woedica. It seems like she aspired to be the "Zeus" of the pantheon but the other gods united against her. I also didn't follow exactly when this happened. There was a temple to Woedica in Defiance Bay still up and running as recently as the revolution, which was about 150 years ago in game time. So her fall may be more recent than that?

What the hell does Woedica actually have to do with anything? Is Thaos trying to preserve the Engwithan secret or trying to restore Woedica or both? And if both, what do the two have to with each other?
    Both, I think. Thaos is a priest of Woedica, so he wants to bring her back, and he also wants to protect the secret. The two goals are both logical considering who he is, there's no particular thing other than that connecting them.
    Why the hell did Magram kill Eothas, if he's trying to stop Woedica, who she also wants to stop? Just to protect the Dyrwood?
    Eothas (may have, if Waidwen was really him) taken human form and meddled directly in kith affairs, which is against the agreement. He overstepped, like Durance keeps saying.
    Or is it just because Eothas broke the pact? Which is still senseless, because they're all like, "We gotta obey the pact! Even if it means it will result in someone else breaking the pact and ruling over us!"
    But that didn't happen... they kept to the pact, working through human agents (who built the godhammer) and not interfering directly. Their plan worked, basically. And I'm not sure that Eothas/Waidwen was a threat to rule over them or anything, unless I missed something. He might've ruled the places he was conquering, but not the other gods.
    Do these other gods not want to keep the natures of their existence secret?
    I believe they all do, with the possible exception of Eothas, whose motivations are still unclear and may be sequel/expansion bait. I think they want Woedica to stay "dead" enough to take the risk of a few people learning their secret. Also I'm not sure if they knew of our soul's connection to Iorvara (sp?), which is what allowed you to talk to her down there.
    Do all the gods have these machines set up for them, or just Woedica? (Thaos says that Summer in Sun is a special shrine for Woedica?)
    Not known, but it's likely.
    Why now? Wodica's been AWOL for centuries. People have been pushing with animancy research for a long time. Is there some reason why this whole plot is being put into action now but not sooner? Thaos could've resurrected Woedica a long long time ago!
    I'm not sure he could've... it takes time to put together an entire secret society with agents and cells and secret bases and so forth, and enough people loyal enough to sacrifice themselves to fuel the biawac machines. Thaos is a patient guy.

But Thaos isn't really...
    ... a priest of Woedica. He knows where Woedica came from. He knows she's not really a god. I guess maybe he's trying to restore her, because that's his job, to keep the pantheon going, though you'd think he'd be more concerned with restoring Eothas, ... There were some hints that Thaos believes that Woedica would turn the world completely static, enforce rule and order on everything. Also hints that Woedica's whispering to Thaos over the years has warped his preferences. It just seems really strange to have finished the game and still be rather confused about the main antagonist's objectives - although maybe this is the point?

Also, re. if Waidwen is really Eothas, it seems likely, since you can't commune with Eothas in Twin Elms.

Re. the Master, down potions of eldritch aim, buff yourself up, and then just keep casting the debuffs, starting with weaker but longer-lasting effects. I think AoE over time debuffs are even better, because they'll keep trying to hit. And then once you land a debuff, start stacking them on like a madman, because a lot of them will lower defenses to allow other things to hit. IIRC, at some point I landed a Blind, and then a Sicken, and then a Stun, and then Paralyze, and then it was just GG from there.

The major issue being time and how to survive while you're stacking this shit on. Took me a few tries to get the RNG's favour.

hippofant on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I don't see what's so bad about a paladin with a low Might score. I made a custom paladin Shieldbearer with Might 10 and she is as good at tanking as Eder. I gave her the DR aura and Liberating whatsitcalled for additional support.

I really don't care about her damage. I want her to hold the line and support the other melee/mid-range classes (Eder, Durance, Grieving Mother). She does that beautifully.

I understand that Bleak Walkers are pretty great damage dealers, but that's kind of a specific build, no?

Agreed. Pallegina is actually built pretty optimally for a tank. And if we're being honest, if you're not rolling a tank as a paladin then you're not being optimal in the first place.

I'm playing a Bleak Walker on this playthrough for roleplaying reasons. It's fun! But it doesn't touch the damage my rogue could do last playthrough on single target, even thought this bleak walker has max might, a high dex and talents all built for damage. Faith and Conviction is a completely defensive buff, for example, and Flames of Devotion is only per encounter and only hits one enemy. I can Sworn Enemy someone, debuff them a little and then hit them hard with Flames of Devotion. And it's nice burst, but the sustained isn't great.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Is there a way to forcibly disengage from combat?

There seems to be a glitch in the Northweald where (probably not spoilers but i'll spoiler it just in case)
    After encountering a group of Stelgaer in the northern area of the map, you will remain in combat even after defeating them. I can't loot the corpses, or even leave the area.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    anyone know if there is an eta on patch 1.04? its suppose to fix the bug that is stopping me from playing but having trouble waiting and might just ignore it but i know ill get 12 hours into it and then quit because the bug is that annoying to me.

just hope its within the next few weeks at least...

Tairu wrote: »
    Is there a way to forcibly disengage from combat?

There seems to be a glitch in the Northweald where (probably not spoilers but i'll spoiler it just in case)
    After encountering a group of Stelgaer in the northern area of the map, you will remain in combat even after defeating them. I can't loot the corpses, or even leave the area.

There are a couple segments in the game where I had this problem. What you need to do is keep going east and kill more Staelgar. For whatever reason the game seems to "activate" them as part of the current encounter, despite them not being close enough for the AI to have awareness of you.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Giving allies any given stat spread doesn't reflect on the understanding of the devs. Of course they know their own game. They set them up that way anyway.

I wonder if they tried to match the stats with the characters' personalities somewhat. For example, Aloth seems highly intelligent but not a very "mighty" person. Durance is an old man who wouldn't be very dextrous, but you can tell by his personality that this is a guy with high resolve.

It's something I've thought about a few times whenever it comes up in a game. Very few games (if any?) min-max the party members they give you. I think it could be from a desire to give you a set of characters who can be molded any way you like - if you want Eder to tank he can tank, if you want him to deal damage you can try that too. However, in the case of Pillars and some other games they also pick level up bonuses for you that end up shaping the character a certain way anyway. I think Durance has Bear's Fortitude or something weird and not that useful.

And it could also come from a desire to make the characters flawed and the world feel lived-in, like, "these are real people with real stats that a normal person might have! Nobody would have 18 might and 18 int and 3 dex!" But at the same time I feel like that's not necessarily the best way to approach things. In practice, a lot of people are just going to be distraught that they "have to" use these suboptimal characters for story purposes, and in subsequent playthroughs will only pick up the best statted companions or make their own.

Heck, I've seen that in Baldur's Gate guides. "This character has one of the better stories and characterizations but is statted poorly, don't use them unless you really love the character."

Just makes me question what would really be the harm in devs min-maxing their party members a bit...not even necessarily optimized, just something reasonable. Maybe no stat lower than 7, but a few 18s where appropriate, that sort of thing. Wouldn't it be great if you could have that story cake, and feel good about eating it too?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I wonder whether a tanky rogue is feasible. Go all in on defense. Wear heavy armor. Rely on Riposte, Adept Evasion and Deep Wounds to deal damage.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    But Thaos isn't really...
    ... a priest of Woedica. He knows where Woedica came from. He knows she's not really a god. I guess maybe he's trying to restore her, because that's his job, to keep the pantheon going, though you'd think he'd be more concerned with restoring Eothas, ... There were some hints that Thaos believes that Woedica would turn the world completely static, enforce rule and order on everything. Also hints that Woedica's whispering to Thaos over the years has warped his preferences. It just seems really strange to have finished the game and still be rather confused about the main antagonist's objectives - although maybe this is the point?

Also, re. if Waidwen is really Eothas, it seems likely, since you can't commune with Eothas in Twin Elms.
    BIG HUGE SPOILING SPOILERS
    Well, it depends on your definition of 'priest'. As far as I know, you never succeed in getting Thaos to deny their divinity - and you'll notice, when Your-Previous-Life questioned him about whether or not the Gods were false, his dodge was very revealing - he says something like "Their actions and powers are that of Gods, aren't they?". His belief seems very much that the Gods are "real enough" - their origin is irrelevant if they act and behave as Gods.

TLK's motives are unclear but my assumptions were Thaos was 1. generally a servant of Woedica, who the Engwithans placed as Queen among the gods and was later dethroned by the other Gods and 2. Opposed to Animancy, for fear of animancers discovering the same things the Engwithans did.
    His actions in the Dyrwood fulfill both those purposes - re-empowering Woedica and trying to get animancy outlawed.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Giving allies any given stat spread doesn't reflect on the understanding of the devs. Of course they know their own game. They set them up that way anyway.

I wonder if they tried to match the stats with the characters' personalities somewhat. For example, Aloth seems highly intelligent but not a very "mighty" person. Durance is an old man who wouldn't be very dextrous, but you can tell by his personality that this is a guy with high resolve.

It's something I've thought about a few times whenever it comes up in a game. Very few games (if any?) min-max the party members they give you. I think it could be from a desire to give you a set of characters who can be molded any way you like - if you want Eder to tank he can tank, if you want him to deal damage you can try that too. However, in the case of Pillars and some other games they also pick level up bonuses for you that end up shaping the character a certain way anyway. I think Durance has Bear's Fortitude or something weird and not that useful.

And it could also come from a desire to make the characters flawed and the world feel lived-in, like, "these are real people with real stats that a normal person might have! Nobody would have 18 might and 18 int and 3 dex!" But at the same time I feel like that's not necessarily the best way to approach things. In practice, a lot of people are just going to be distraught that they "have to" use these suboptimal characters for story purposes, and in subsequent playthroughs will only pick up the best statted companions or make their own.

Heck, I've seen that in Baldur's Gate guides. "This character has one of the better stories and characterizations but is statted poorly, don't use them unless you really love the character."

Just makes me question what would really be the harm in devs min-maxing their party members a bit...not even necessarily optimized, just something reasonable. Maybe no stat lower than 7, but a few 18s where appropriate, that sort of thing. Wouldn't it be great if you could have that story cake, and feel good about eating it too?

While not optimal, in BG2 your party members had pretty good stats. But 2nd edition had fewer stats any given class got benefits from so characters were more focused. With only 3 stats that had much effect, every warrior type had good strength, dexterity, and constitution and could boost the first even higher with girdles of giant strength.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited April 2015
    No doubt one of the main reasons the companions have relatively middling stats with no significant min-maxing is that it makes them more flexible.

People also tend to min-max their character stats in ways that are more suited towards a higher level of mastery with the game rules, i.e. treating CON as a dump stat is something that might be rougher for less skilled players.

They could optimize Eder to be a better tank, and surely they know how they would do it, but that isn't going to do any favors to the guy who already made their MC to be a tank, or prefers Pallegina to tank. Eder can be reasonably tuned to be a damage dealer too, and any of the companions can reasonably fulfill whatever role you might expect from their class archetype, even if they are not always optimal.

Scosglen on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So i started playing this over the weekend. I picked apparently rather poorly however since i went with a wizard. i did alright in the tutorial section, but once i got on my own, i use my spells, which barely can kill a wolf, then finally made it to the village where i meet my first party member....of course, hes another wizard. we spent a short time getting 1 shot by that stupid bear before i stopped playing. I think i need to start with someone who can meele worth a damn.

There is a fighter NPC close to the tree in the first village, you can recruit him after you do the stuff at the tree after sleeping.

it'd be a nice QoL change even if it doesn't really make sense to be able to respec your companions, especially if you are like me and did all the sidequests and faffed around before getting all of your companions so some of them arrived at level 10/11

So, in Act III I think I might have blown my chance to get an achievement and it bothers me
    I didn't bury that book that Wael wanted me to bury in Act II so now he's giving me the cold shoulder. Is there a way to re-appease him?

Also, I know there's no romance in this game, but I can just about imagine my Dwarf going "grumble grumble well of course the one time I find a pretty dwarf lady among all these humans she's already married with three kids grumble" under breath after talking to Sagani about her life. Mostly because the mental image is amusing.

So, in Act III I think I might have blown my chance to get an achievement and it bothers me
    I didn't bury that book that Wael wanted me to bury in Act II so now he's giving me the cold shoulder. Is there a way to re-appease him?
    If you are referring to the "appease all the Gods achievement", the four Gods you can commune with at Twin Elms are the four Gods you can appease.

edited April 2015
    P10 wrote: »
    If you are referring to the "appease all the Gods achievement", the four Gods you can commune with at Twin Elms are the four Gods you can appease.
    So, only Hylea, Gawain, Berath and Fro-Zone?

Tairu on
    P10 wrote: »
    So, only Hylea, Gawain, Berath and Fro-Zone?
    Yarp