As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sooo, is there no way to play the new warfare mode in the demo? I'm not much in to deathmatch. And vehicle CTF seemed kinda pointless as you can't holdt he flag in a vehicle... and it's MIGHTY tough to kill a vehicle on foot.

Not sure I like this one yet. UT2k4 was much better imo.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Been running on max settings at 1680 by 1050 on my system...

Specs:
    1.8ghz core 2 duo
    X1950pro 256mb
    2gb ram
    XP

noobert on
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Damn you guys with decent video cards! I'm stuck here with an X1400, and no possibility of an upgrade :(

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh man, its delicious, 1920x1200, 8800GTS 320, Quad6600, 2gigs of ram, and a BenQ FP241VW set to "game mode" makes this game looks AMAZING.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Wait so is this as good at it gets graphics wise? Or did they skimp on the more high end stuff for purposes of file size?....or what?

Yeah, the textures are only half as good as they get.

capable heart on
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just so everyone is aware we two threads on the UT3 demo.

About the graphics. Gamespot has put up a handy comparison between the various graphical levels. It turns out the level 4 visuals are more than acceptable for me. So I can downgrade from level 5 and get an fps boost. Awesome.

xraydog on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pretty fun, I was kinda hoping that vehicle that drops the time trap or whatever would be in it, but this is cool too :V

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Demo doesn't install for me

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Same here. The demo just sits there, doing nothing, while my computer grinds and growls away for up to half an hour. I eventually just terminate the installer via the Task Manager and wonder what's going on.

EDIT: So I let it sit there for an hour. I then came into the room with Chinese takeout in my hands and the installer immediately jumped into action, dutifully pumping out files. Interesting.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    why do we have 2 threads for this demo?

Paradox Control on
    \
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, the demo constantly fucking crashes on me. Anyone have any ideas why?

Also, even when I exit the demo correctly it doesn't save my video settings so I need to manually change it from 640x480 every time I start it. Anyone else run into this?

Daedalus on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, the demo constantly fucking crashes on me. Anyone have any ideas why?

Also, even when I exit the demo correctly it doesn't save my video settings so I need to manually change it from 640x480 every time I start it. Anyone else run into this?
    I don't have those issues, but you gotta remember it's not just a demo, its a demo beta.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited October 2007
    So the demo just fucked itself so badly that I got no video output whatsoever and needed to restart my computer.

Maybe my graphics card drivers are out of date or something?

Daedalus on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is online unavalable to anyone else?

Hopefully they're fixing it.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, this thing is crash-tastic. Crash-eriffic. Crash-derful. Crash-okay, I'll stop now.

I think when this thing gets released I'm going to borrow it from somebody before I buy it, just to make sure they fixed some of this shit.

Daedalus on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's fun, but it feels like the same game I've been playing since 1999 (at least in DM). I'll probably upgrade to it at some point, since it is solid, but I'll keep with 2K4 until this gets cheaper.

Dagrabbit on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm thinking I will almost definitely buy this near release, depending on when it's coming out. I've loved the UT series since the original, and I'm excited about the warfare mode and all that, plus the multicore support should be awesome when I upgrade my desktop.
    I'm really surprised how nice it looks, even with fairly low settings and how smooth it plays.
    My only real question so far is that the flak cannon seems inconsistent with it's damage. I've shot someone from less than 30 feet away several times with the primary fire and it's not done very much damage at all, while at other times it ends up as an instant kill. Another thing I don't like is that there seems to be a delay on weapon switching, before the animation starts which would seem to discourage that in the middle of a fight, but that could just be an issue on my end.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    Yeah it's very smooth. It runs and looks way better than the Crysis beta that's for sure. I don't mind the war of the worlds thing so much. It definitely adds some flavor to an otherwise standard deathmatch map. Anything to pump fresh gameplay into deathmatch is a good thing IMO.

The recent GfW interview they were saying how basically the build that journalists get to play runs a hell of a lot faster than the public beta does.

That's good to hear. It seems like it will be a cool game, but it won't sell if it only runs on the tippy top end hardware.

Drool on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Though it was doing it at 800x600, the game ran really well.

Though it did pause every once in awhile. Not sure why.

The main fire on the Flak Cannon is designed to be used at close range. You can be lucky and score a head-shot from a distance with one of the pieces of shrapnel.

Magus` on
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure whats up with the network this game uses to find servers, but most of them show huge lag or don't seem to be there at all. It's possible there just aren't enough servers out now, but Epic should have put some official ones up. It's fun beating up on bots, but it gets old after awhile.

Drool on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm so used to it, but man did I prefer the physics and motion from 2K4. Jumping feels so... short, now.

You're not the only one. I actually think the weapons feel weaker now as well.

Big Classy on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The game runs at a decent framerate (30+), but it stutters constantly, basically making it unplayable. Is anyone else having the same problem? I have a 3500+ and an x1950GT.

FreddyD on
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm so used to it, but man did I prefer the physics and motion from 2K4. Jumping feels so... short, now.

You're not the only one. I actually think the weapons feel weaker now as well.

Weaker? Are you serious? You can kill pretty much anyone in a couple hits with most weapons. I remember being able to take a bit more damage in 2k4. They even said they made them more powerful and made jumping less floaty to give game a more up close and personal feel.

Drool on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I should have spent more time playing 2K4 then.

Big Classy on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I won't be buying this, I think. It really is UT2k4 with better graphics, a new but not particularly revolutionary gun and hoverboards, which are pretty damn cool. And while weapon models are fucktastically awesome (charge up the Biogun if you want to see what I mean), player models look pretty silly to me.

Pound for pound, I think TF2 is the better multiplayer FPS, despite how cool the vehicles of UT3 are.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do the player models feel really really small to anyone else?

Theres no beef to them, they all look like really fast moving little midgets to me. And from a distance everyone just looks like a block of red/blue shaped like a dude.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I won't be buying this, I think. It really is UT2k4 with better graphics, a new but not particularly revolutionary gun and hoverboards, which are pretty damn cool. And while weapon models are fucktastically awesome (charge up the Biogun if you want to see what I mean), player models look pretty silly to me.

Pound for pound, I think TF2 is the better multiplayer FPS, despite how cool the vehicles of UT3 are.

The demo only has one player model in it. It's definitely not the one I'll be using in the full game. And what's wrong with an updated UT with better graphics and more maps and modes? There are over 40 maps shipping with the full game, and a lot more game modes than what's in the demo.

For example, Onslaught makes a return, only in a new form and called Warfare. From Wikipedia:

Unreal Warfare (formerly known as Conquest): New to the UT series, maps will be potentially as big as three Onslaught maps, and will have objectives similar to Assault maps. A limited form of resource management will exist in the form of tarydium mines or fields that must be captured; the more a team captures, the faster it can build vehicles and turrets, and the more bunkers it has the more tarydium it will need. Bunkers will possibly serve a similar purpose to power nodes in Onslaught. This type of game play mode was also in the game Command & Conquer: Renegade. A significant amount of details regarding Unreal Warfare have changed since "Conquest" was first announced, so it is possible that this form of resource management no longer exists.

That mode sounds fucking awesome. A next-gen version of Renegade? Yes, please.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

If you are ever thinking about getting up on Unreal 2k4, make sure you check out the Ballsitic Weapons mod. Personally, I think Epic should have hired that team to redesign all of their weapons for the sequel, but maybe they will port their mod over.

The problem with Unreal 2k4 is that the (already small) community is split across dozens of gametypes. I think promoting Warfare as the main game in UT3 is going to alleviate some of the problems with finding decent competition.

FreddyD on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I don't know about that, especially considering that there were only two gametypes in the demo (and very traditional ones, at that). Warfare mode is whether or not UT3 earns its price tag, as far as I'm concerned.

Although I'll agree that TF2 really raised the bar in FPS multiplayer. God that game is so good.

Zxerol on
    edited October 2007
    TF2 and UT3 are completely different animals as far as I'm concerned. TF2 is more team focused and with the different classes you aren't on equal footing in every encounter. UT3 is more about individual skill while working with your team, crazy weapons and standard run and gun gameplay.

The Deathmatch gameplay is very solid in UT3, and I loved Onslaught so much I know I'll be buying this just for Warfare mode alone.

Don't forget that they are actually putting in a single player campaign with an actual story and everything. It's a standard get revenge story, but it should be fun to play through. It's also going to be co-op which can only make it even more fun.

Drool on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fodder wrote: »
    I'm thinking I will almost definitely buy this near release, depending on when it's coming out. I've loved the UT series since the original, and I'm excited about the warfare mode and all that, plus the multicore support should be awesome when I upgrade my desktop.
    I'm really surprised how nice it looks, even with fairly low settings and how smooth it plays.
    My only real question so far is that the flak cannon seems inconsistent with it's damage. I've shot someone from less than 30 feet away several times with the primary fire and it's not done very much damage at all, while at other times it ends up as an instant kill. Another thing I don't like is that there seems to be a delay on weapon switching, before the animation starts which would seem to discourage that in the middle of a fight, but that could just be an issue on my end.

Do the enemies have consistent health and armor? I have killed 3 people once before with the flak cannon and thought it was almost overpowering but then noticed that my own life was at 16, so yeah, it probably isn't.

Lucky Cynic on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok I'm going to put up a server it will be called Penny-Arcade with the usual password I'm going to start with it just on suspence

also check the most recent posts in the vent thread for the new server info were in there playing

bloodyroarxx on
    edited October 2007
    wang is the PW, right? And where will this server show up, I was just going to come in here and suggest one of us open one up...

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    Okay, for some reason vent is not connecting for me, I keep getting some error about the hostname/ip. I just put in "illmatic5.nrgservers.net" just like the thread up top there mentions. Is that the right one?

Lucky Cynic on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh dear god I got into the tank shot at a wall and my computer turned off...stupid GPU died on me...thank god the new one I ordered is coming express mail...to bad it's saturday.
    But as far as I can tell those 20 seconds that it took me to get to the tank were fun. I like that they kept those weapon racks. And I did see the scorpion? i think its called with the side blades. Is the primary weapon still the green net stuff?

Dixon on
    edited October 2007
    Okay, I am in vent, but no matter what combination of locked, unlocked, full, whatever the server is, it just doesn't show up on the damn list.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

If you are ever thinking about getting up on Unreal 2k4, make sure you check out the Ballsitic Weapons mod. Personally, I think Epic should have hired that team to redesign all of their weapons for the sequel, but maybe they will port their mod over.

Oh my yes. That mod is fun as hell. Horribly imbalanced though

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want to play this, but for some odd reason everything on the screen is rendered blocky. Pixelated. Not large pixelation, but enough that everything is out of focus and hard to distinguish things at a difference. No it's not the motion blur or postprocessing, I turned them off to be double sure. I also have the 163.75 drivers which are .04 better than the 163.01's for my card.

Has anyone found out the cause or a fix, since no one on the Demo forum has an answer yet?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Got this to run with everything maxed... and it looks beautiful. It also plays really well. I miss good UT games like this, and eagerly look forward to purchasing this when it is released.

urahonky on
  • ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had to change a setting in the options menu, I think it was something along the lines of the percent of your screen to render with, default was set to 50%, upping it to 100% actually let the 1680x1050 res work ingame and it looked awesome. Need a better videocard though for this game.

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg