As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better Call Saul

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wonder
    With all this focus on Mike. You think maybe gus will show up eventually?

I think that's probably the next big surprise guest appearance, yes.

sig.gif
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Watching ep 7
    He says he's getting a lot of new business with the elderly, and now suddenly he's getting a massive office.

Aw man, Jimmy.

Jimmy you did something bad, didn't you.

Uh yeah, you saw that happen.

sig.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Oh my God

The Parking Garage scene with Mike.

I am fucking dying.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh my God

I am fucking dying.

Unless the finale on Monday is insane, I think this ep is gonna be the high point of the season.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    The episode that focused on Mike is the high point of the season and possibly the show.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    Oh my God

I am fucking dying.

Unless the finale on Monday is insane, I think this ep is gonna be the high point of the season.

Nah, episode 7 is.

I mean, low point.

But in a good way.

sig.gif
    I think we're about to see Jimmy come up with the Saul branding and renting that stripmall lot.

Or at least they're gonna tease that and leave us hanging for a whole year.

sig.gif
    I think it fits the show better to just tease us at the end of the season and save all the actual stuff we expect for later.

And yeah, that Mike scene was the best scene in the series so far, bar none. I probably should have said "best episode" instead of "high point" for Episode 9, which I still maintain, because it executes a story beat we were all expecting but still manages to stun us with the execution. Also because it features top-tier comedy and drama within the same episode without feeling tonally split.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I think we're about to see Jimmy come up with the Saul branding and renting that stripmall lot.

Or at least they're gonna tease that and leave us hanging for a whole year.

He can't do too much important work before he changes his name

Since he's already in ABQ, "Jimmy McGill" can't be too notable a lawyer because then everyone will know who "Saul Goodman" actually is and see right through the ruse

6F32U1X.png
    edited April 2015
    I'm guessing the finale will see him blow Jimmy's chance at hitting it big and bottom out.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its hard for me to imagine them getting all the way to the genesis of Saul Goodman in one episode

i think the beginning of the end for Jimmy starts next week, but I don't think we get anything close to the conclusion

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    How are already this far into the season? How is almost over already?

I need more, Gilligan.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    edited April 2015
    Just finished 9.
    Jesus Christ.

Chuck, how could you.

Your bro's really been busting his ass, here. And you just yanked the rug out from under him like that.

I'm not gonna claim he wasn't right about some things. Jimmy obviously has been up to some shit, but he really was starting to grow.

Starting to reconsider his ethics.

Giving up that bribe really meant something.

And now this happens.

God damn, that was a good scene.

Goatmon on

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I was really excited when I heard michael mckean was going to be on this show as sauls brother, and though the type of character he's been playing is completely different to the type of character I thought he would play, he's been excellent.

Just finished 9.
    Jesus Christ.

Chuck, how could you.

Your bro's really been busting his ass, here. And you just yanked the rug out from under him like that.

I'm not gonna claim he wasn't right about some things. Jimmy obviously has been up to some shit, but he really was starting to grow.

Starting to reconsider his ethics.

Giving up that bribe really meant something.

And now this happens.

God damn, that was a good scene.
    Chuck's worldview cannot contain a Jimmy who's playing straight.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

It seems pretty clear that
    This is why he becomes the Saul we know and love.

Poor guy.

Honestly, I spent the whole season expecting something awful to happen to Chuck.

It just seemed so blatant.

And then THAT happens.

Jesus fuck.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    On the Better Call Saul Insider podcast they stated that (episode 9 spoilers)
    they'd plotted out the entire season before Michael McKean got the part of Chuck, and when they realized how damn prideful McKean played the part, they rewrote the season so that Chuck would turn out to be the villain.

• EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    I am worried that Jimmy is going to die at the end of this season T_T

• EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    finale
    ya jimmy's dead

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Yep!
    I kinda wish he'd taken that job, because I'd love to see the arc where Chuck has to deal with Jimmy being a big name, legit Firm Partner guy, and maybe Jimmy'll turn back and take it, but I think we just witnessed the birth of Saul Goodman, and I'm just as excited for that.

I will not read spoilers

I will not read spoilers

Chuck killed Jimmy and birthed Saul. The only thing pushing Jimmy to go legit was trying to earn his brother's respect. Knowing that no matter what he does, Chuck will always believe him to be a con man, means he has no reason not to, and tons of reasons to just embrace it. Chuck, you didn't want Slippin' Jimmy with a machine gun, well maybe you shouldn't have handed him the ammo.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited April 2015
    Yep!
    I kinda wish he'd taken that job, because I'd love to see the arc where Chuck has to deal with Jimmy being a big name, legit Firm Partner guy, and maybe Jimmy'll turn back and take it, but I think we just witnessed the birth of Saul Goodman, and I'm just as excited for that.

Yeah, see
    Because this show is a prequel, we already know he ends up where he does.

It's a foregone conclusion.

As much as I wish he'd made the right choice, I knew he wasn't going to do it.

Goatmon on

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    So I started watching Breaking Bad as it first aired, and I remember it being billed as this 'dark comedy', darkly funny, ha ha, which is why I started watching it and then it turned out... well, how it turned out

Every time we watch an episode of Saul (also billed as a dark comedy) and something tragic happens I look at my husband and say "remember when breaking bad was a comedy?"
    when he found his friend in the alley and he said "this has been the best week of my life" I held my husband's hand and said, very quietly, remember when breaking bad - and he said OH MY GOD HONEY NO

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Yep!

Yeah, see

Well yeah, but there'd be time for him to fall from grace and wind up in his current position afterward. I'm still looking forward to the inevitable courtroom showdown where Saul has to go up against an HHM-backed Chuck.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I am a terrible person
    I expected the death of Marco from the first cough

but when he said "this was the best week of my life"

I heard Olaf saying and quite possibly the last

Yeah I saw that coming, part-way into the episode.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    That's the thing about this show, you know the rhythms and hooks. You know what's going to happen, maybe not in granular detail, but you can see it coming.

And they still manage to deliver on the goods. They manage to make something predictable still have impact. That's the sign on a great creative staff, and it makes me want more.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Yep!

Yeah, see

Well yeah, but there'd be time for him to fall from grace and wind up in his current position afterward. I'm still looking forward to the inevitable courtroom showdown where Saul has to go up against an HHM-backed Chuck.

I am but I'm not

actually I'm really not

oh god

Maybe he'll even win!

PFFFFF

I'm guessing he will, actually, on some scummy loophole or technicality. Which will just infuriate Chuck.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Jimmy beats chuck in court with methods that are maybe not above the board

Chuck finds a way to have jimmy disbarred

Jimmy assumes the identity of Saul and gets something over on chuck that will prevent him from saying anything when he retakes the bar under his new identity

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    that kind of assumes that Chuck continues to have an arc in season 2?

I don't know if that's a for-certain

I don't see the two interacting much. This has been kind of a prologue. Everything in S1 represents his old life. This won't be like Breaking Bad where he is constantly trying to balance two lives.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    They did a lot of table setting with these characters if they're just going to toss 'em all after this season

Speed Racer on
    I could see all the pieces of Jimmy's old life continuing to play out as a side-story, with him on the periphery, or I could see them dropping away altogether, and having remnants only occasionally intersecting with his new life.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Going by the rough rubric set by Breaking Bad, I don't see major characters immediately taking a back seat or falling away between seasons, unless something extremely deliberate and plot-driven happens specifically to that character.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Peter Gould straight-up says in a postmortem that Jimmy and Chuck aren't done with each other

They're playing a long game with their characters

They originally expected Jimmy to be Saul by the end of this season and then realized it would not be nearly that simple of a switch

This is a big part of why Michael Mando was sidelined, he didn't fit in the version of the story they ended up telling but almost certainly will be a big part of season 2

6F32U1X.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Noooo Jimmy whyyy
    I've gotten so engrossed in this show that when there were about two minutes left, I'd decided to pretend Breaking Bad never happened. Even though I know how it ends, in my headcanon, Jimmy would join the new law firm, marry Kim, become partner some day and lead a happy and fulfilling life as a successful lawyer. A life he could stuff in Chuck's face.

I mean, come on, it's hard not to root for Jimmy. He is was such a good guy! He refused to hate his brother. He didn't think the world owes him any thing. He didn't try to get revenge. He took a break to vent (granted, that venting involved ripping people off), but he was about to return, put his head down and get back to work. He's a con man but he's the anti-Walter White!

Which is what makes the ending so interesting. I was afraid something was going to happen to Jimmy, but he's the one who ends up picking that life. Which is such a Breaking-Bad-character thing to do. Everything those characters went through on that show was of their own making. They all chose that life, including Skyler and Jesse. They got obvious chances to walk away and they chose not to take it. So Jimmy choosing to not be the guy who does the right thing, not as a middle finger to his brother, not as an emotional reaction, but after some calm introspection, is just so very appropriate as a character in that world.

Other things:

Jimmy has an ex-wife! We didn't know that yet, did we?

That montage of them hustling people was surreal enough that it could have been a Mr. Show bit.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Chuck will be dead soon. With the era the show takes place in, smart phones and ubiquitous WiFi are just around the corner. Chuck gunna get cooked like a pizza pop in a deep fryer.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth