As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better Call Saul

12346»

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    well he might have a heart attack from the stress of it all but - he doesn't have a real illness, you know

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    well he might have a heart attack from the stress of it all but - he doesn't have a real illness, you know

He has a real illness. It's just a mental illness instead of a physical one.

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Yes, point, but you know what I mean.

tynic on
  • Options

You know what I mean.

Sorry, I do.

Anyone else bothered by the number of people who have held it against Chuck that Jimmy has been helping him for the past year because of his illness?
    I mean, that's what strong or healthy families do when someone gets sick, whether it's physical or mental. It's really bothered me. What Chuck has been doing to Jimmy is awful, but it'd be just as awful even if Chuck had never gotten sick. Real families (whether through blood or through friendship) stick together and help each other through that shit.

No I don't.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

You know what I mean.

Sorry, I do.

Anyone else bothered by the number of people who have held it against Chuck that Jimmy has been helping him for the past year because of his illness?
    I mean, that's what strong or healthy families do when someone gets sick, whether it's physical or mental. It's really bothered me. What Chuck has been doing to Jimmy is awful, but it'd be just as awful even if Chuck had never gotten sick. Real families (whether through blood or through friendship) stick together and help each other through that shit.

Yeah, I'll hold it against Chuck that he's being way too exacting to the poor guy who's taken over for Jimmy, considering just how much effort they're going through for him already, but Jimmy was totally helping Chuck because he cares about him, not because Chuck was making him. Heck, even though Chuck hurt him, badly, he still cares for him as a brother, as evidenced by how insistent Jimmy was that someone still do all that stuff for him, even if he can't stomach doing it himself. Family ties are weird like that, how you can hold two almost polar opposite feelings towards a person at the same time.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    One ring to scam them all?

• Options
    Also, to clarify from my previous post, I don't mean to imply that Jimmy no longer helping Chuck personally is a knock against him or anything like that. Actually, the fact that he made sure Chuck would be taken care of after finding out how big of an asshole his brother had been is one of those "god damn is Jimmy the best person ever" type things.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What are the chances that Jimmy's ex-wife is Kim?

They seem very close and they've alluded to some sort of romantic history

You don't call just a buddy for phone sex

At least I sure don't

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I'm baffled by whatever that Kevin Costner con was.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wait no it makes sense if they were just smashed drunk.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH09RUA7b3Q
    2:03

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Pretty sure that one was 'sleep with me, I'm Kevin Costner.'

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    What are the chances that Jimmy's ex-wife is Kim?

They seem very close and they've alluded to some sort of romantic history

You don't call just a buddy for phone sex

At least I sure don't
    it doesn't seem like he met Kim until after coming to work in the mail room

Otherwise that would mean that Jimmy's wife left him, he shit in a guy's car, got out of jail and moved to Albuquerque, to get a job where... His ex wife was working?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I have

Very little sympathy for chuck's condition
    Like jimmy points out, the severity of his condition seems to be entirely tied to how much he disapproves of jimmy at any given moment, far more than how much electricity he perceives

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I have

Like jimmy points out, the severity of his condition seems to be entirely tied to how much he disapproves of jimmy at any given moment, far more than how much electricity he perceives

I just can't hold that against Chuck. I have a very hard time holding a mental illness against someone. With what the trigger for him is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some form of severe anxiety disorder.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Like in ep 9
    Jimmy talks about how calling Howard must have felt like holding a blowtorch up to his ear, and was amazed that he'd undergo that pain just to keep him down

But we saw him make that call

And yeah ok he was wearing the space blanket over his head

But he was fucking fine

• Options
    With all the shots of Chuck's gas stove peppered through the season, and the whole grounding yourself thing, I kept expecting a spark to go off and blow up his house. Because that's the kind of thing a Breaking Bad season might end on.

And now I'm thinking maybe they put that stuff in as a red herring.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also, still puzzled by Michael Mando being in the main cast. This has NOT been the Nacho show.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I have

I just can't hold that against Chuck. I have a very hard time holding a mental illness against someone. With what the trigger for him is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some form of severe anxiety disorder.

My dad has brain damage and requires constant care

And he is not above sometimes using his condition to excuse bullshit behavior

He was so mad that Obama got reelected in 2012 that he didn't talk for a month straight and was completely happy to let us think that his brain damage had progressed and destroyed his ability to speak

My dad has very real medical problems and needs taken care of but that doesn't excuse that sort of behavior

Just like whatever psychosomatic reaction to electricity that chuck has doesn't excuse the way he uses it to shame and manipulate jimmy
    And frankly at this point I have a feeling that his condition arose "coincidentally" right around the time jimmy officially opened up his legal practice

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    With all the shots of Chuck's gas stove peppered through the season, and the whole grounding yourself thing, I kept expecting a spark to go off and blow up his house. Because that's the kind of thing a Breaking Bad season might end on.

And now I'm thinking maybe they put that stuff in as a red herring.
    I think it worked as misdirection, but also to add legitimacy to the suggestion of having Chuck committed. Really helped emphasize the danger his behavior poses to himself and his neighborhood.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Noooo Jimmy whyyy
    I've gotten so engrossed in this show that when there were about two minutes left, I'd decided to pretend Breaking Bad never happened. Even though I know how it ends, in my headcanon, Jimmy would join the new law firm, marry Kim, become partner some day and lead a happy and fulfilling life as a successful lawyer. A life he could stuff in Chuck's face.

I mean, come on, it's hard not to root for Jimmy. He is was such a good guy! He refused to hate his brother. He didn't think the world owes him any thing. He didn't try to get revenge. He took a break to vent (granted, that venting involved ripping people off), but he was about to return, put his head down and get back to work. He's a con man but he's the anti-Walter White!

Which is what makes the ending so interesting. I was afraid something was going to happen to Jimmy, but he's the one who ends up picking that life. Which is such a Breaking-Bad-character thing to do. Everything those characters went through on that show was of their own making. They all chose that life, including Skyler and Jesse. They got obvious chances to walk away and they chose not to take it. So Jimmy choosing to not be the guy who does the right thing, not as a middle finger to his brother, not as an emotional reaction, but after some calm introspection, is just so very appropriate as a character in that world.

Other things:

Jimmy has an ex-wife! We didn't know that yet, did we?

That montage of them hustling people was surreal enough that it could have been a Mr. Show bit.
    Just for fun, if Jimmy didn't turn back, went to that interview and became a good-guy lawyer:

He never meets Gus Fring
    He doesn't meet Walter White
    He doesn't introduce Walter to Gus or Mike
    In all probability, Walter doesn't kill Mike

On the other hand, Jesse probably ends up dead before too long, and maybe Walter does, too.

Hank probably gets to live, though.

Also maybe those planes don't crash into each other.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I have

My dad has brain damage and requires care

He was so mad that Obama got reelected in 2012 that he didn't talk for a month straight and was completely happy to let us think that his brain damage had progressed and destroyed his ability to speak

My dad has very real medical problems and needs taken care of but that doesn't excuse that sort of behavior

Just like whatever psychosomatic reaction to electricity that chuck has doesn't excuse the way he uses it to shame and manipulate jimmy

And frankly at this point I have a feeling that his condition arose "coincidentally" right around the time jimmy officially opened up his legal practice
    There has been nothing on the show that makes me think Chuck's symptoms are being faked or exaggerated by Chuck on a conscious level.

Like, it's pretty much stated by Jimmy that the symptoms worsen whenever Jimmy isn't doing well or is up to trouble, but as far as we've seen with Chuck, he absolutely experiences those symptoms.

There hasn't been a time where Chuck acts like he's having issues and it's shown that he's not.

He's an absolute dickbag, and his condition seems to be caused by that. But his condition isn't that, or at least shown to be that.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH09RUA7b3Q
    2:03

Oh my god that's amazing this show is genius.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I have

My dad has brain damage and requires care

There has been nothing on the show that makes me think Chuck's symptoms are being faked or exaggerated by Chuck on a conscious level.

Like, it's pretty much stated by Jimmy that the symptoms worsen whenever Jimmy isn't doing well or is up to trouble, but as far as we've seen with Chuck, he absolutely experiences those symptoms.

There hasn't been a time where Chuck acts like he's having issues and it's shown that he's not.

He's an absolute dickbag, and his condition seems to be caused by that. But his condition isn't that, or at least shown to be that.
    To wit: The lengths he went to to get that paper happened when no one was around. There was no reason for him to agonize like that if he didn't genuinely believe in his symptoms. Also that genuine shock when he realized he had walked outside of his own volition when getting the paperwork out of Jimmy's car. The problem is certainly psychosomatic, but it's not a conscious choice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I love that cheesy con montage (contage), complete with scrolling neon signs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It's not a conscious choice, but it does seem like it's largely if not entirely a manifestation of his contempt for his brother, which is why I said i don't have much sympathy for him

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Also, still puzzled by Michael Mando being in the main cast. This has NOT been the Nacho show.

It's definitely going to become that

Nacho's first name is Ignacio

You want another callback?
    In the very first episode of Breaking Bad Saul appears in, Walt and Jesse take him out to the desert in masks to intimidate him

They take off his blindfold and show him a dug grave and point a gun in his face

Saul's immediate response?

"It wasn't me, it was Ignacio! He's the one!"

He then starts speaking Spanish and asking if they're Cartel

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    eh the world isn't really drawn into "totally responsible for making conscious choices to be a fuckwit" and "completely ruled by mental illness and therefore totally unculpable"

refusing to analyze why you suddenly have a brain problem that requires constant care and sacrifice from your family member coincidentally right as they might become successful isn't necessarily a conscious choice to be a fucker, but it dances on the line

• Options
    I like that they're easing jimmy into the cartel stuff

He's not like walt, he's not actively trying to do business with some of the most dangerous people in the state

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    you mean walt episode 1: I'm doing this for my family vs. walt episode 6: blowin shit up

• Options
    It's not a conscious choice, but it does seem like it's largely if not entirely a manifestation of his contempt for his brother, which is why I said i don't have much sympathy for him

Hey man, we all have hang-ups. Regardless of inciting source, it seems unfair to hold someone's unconscious mental issues against them. Judge people on the actions they choose to make, not the ones outside their control. It would be a lot more fair to judge him for refusing to see a shrink about it, considering no medical doctor was able to verify anything. That's a conscious decision.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited April 2015
    If you hate your brother, who idolizes you and would do anything for you, so much that you literally become ill over the idea that he might become successful in the same field as you

Then yeah no I feel pretty okay passing judgment

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So many Breaking Bad callbacks in the finale.
    Even little tangential ones, like focusing on the dented trashcan, or him singing in the car at the end. Not to mention the bigger ones, like Belize, or KC.

I like it.

Maximum on
  • Options
    If you hate your brother, who idolizes you and would do anything for you, so much that you literally become ill over the idea that he might become successful in the same field as you

Okay when you put it that way, I can totally see your point.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Apparently he was intended to have a bigger role, but they realised some way into making the season that Jimmy needed a longer burn before the transmogrification to Saul, so his story got put on the backburner for now.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Buttholes Song: Reprise should be the end of every season

mkc.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    On the Better Call Saul Insider podcast they stated that (episode 9 spoilers)
    they'd plotted out the entire season before Michael McKean got the part of Chuck, and when they realized how damn prideful McKean played the part, they rewrote the season so that Chuck would turn out to be the villain.

Television is moving train! Something How I Met Your Mother never learned

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular

I don't think he became mentally ill as a direct result of saul being successful, certainly exacerbates the problem which is cos he's a prideful dick but these things usually aren't that clear cut.

• Options
    Another bit of continuity/callbacks that I love
    I checked and yes, Saul is almost always wearing Marco's pinky ring

6F32U1X.png