As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2015 in PAX West
*Note: and yes, we mean any sort of question, especially if it's not covered by the FAQ. Please do NOT make a new thread to ask your question, just post it here. It will be answered. If there's another thread that is topical to your question already, that might be a good place to ask it as well, but this is a catch-all for the many many questions that don't need their own multi-page thread for a topic.

This thread is a place for people to ask questions, and for the PAX experienced to provide answers (and some general PAX wisdom). Please keep focused on the Q&A nature of this thread.

paxlogo_final_light.jpg

When: August 28th-31st, 2015

Where: Washington State Convention Centre

What:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) is an annual gamer festival held in Washington. PAX was created by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic, because they wanted to attend a show that gave equal attention to video gamers, computer gamers, and tabletop gamers. No such show existed, so PAX was born.

Created in 2004, PAX has doubled in size each successive year until it started taking over the City of Seattle. Last year, PAX Prime had venue space not only in the WSCC, but in the Paramount Theatre and in most of the ballrooms in the Sheraton Hotel across the street. Who know’s what part of Seattle PAX will take over next!!

All of the information found in this FAQ plus many more interesting tidbits and guides can be found on our PAX Community Wiki

Links:
Penny Arcade
PAX Prime Website

What this forum is: This forum is for the discussion of PAX Prime and for interacting with the PAX Prime community. Many folks use it for finding people to carpool or caravan with, finding people to split the cost of a hotel room, and general questions and information about PAX as well as community events and gatherings.

Click here for the Official PAX Prime FAQ

Without further ado, here's the community-based FAQ

Table of Contents

zerzhul on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2015
    General Stuff (top)

HOW DO I FIND ANYTHING IN THIS FAQ?!? give me the tl;dr!
    Use the Table of Contents! Use search! If you still can't find the answer to your question, ask it in the thread!

When will <this thing I need to know about> be announced?
    Soon! Don't expect any definite announcements any sooner than 3-4 weeks before PAX. Don't expect a final schedule and show map until about two weeks before PAX. If you're curious if your favourite game developer, journalist, internet personality is going to be there, shoot them an e-mail and ask, because if it hasn't been announced, we don't know either.

How do I register for PAX?
    Registration will be open on the PAX Prime website. Follow http://twitter.com/official_pax for the announcement of when registration goes up!

What types of passes will be available?
    We're not sure yet! It's looking like only single day passes will be available for the individual days, but there might still be a 4-day badge.

Do the PAX passes have my name on them?
    No.

It's after August 1st, if somehow I managed to order my ticket this late and it wasn't sold out, where do I pick it up?
    Will call will be located at the Ticket Booth windows outside of the WSCC.

I’m from outside of the US and I did not choose the FedEx shipping option, where do I pick up my pass?
    Will call! This is located at the Ticket Booth windows outside of the WSCC.

Can I apply to be an Enforcer and help out at PAX?
    If more enforcers are needed, an announcement will be made with a link to the application on the PAX Prime site.

What are the hours of PAX?
    EVENT HOURS
    Friday, Aug 28th - 10am - 12am
    Saturday, Aug 29th - 10am - 12am
    Sunday, Aug 30th - 10am - 12am
    Monday, Aug 31st - 10am - 6pm
    EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, Aug 28th - 10am - 6pm
    Saturday, Aug 29th - 10am - 6pm
    Sunday, Aug 30th - 10am - 6pm
    Monday, Aug 31st -10am - 6pm

What does BYOC stand for?
    Bring Your Own Computer. This is a large LAN party within PAX! You can purchase a BYOC badge in addition to your admission badges in order to bring your gaming computer and get playing!
    Hint! Follow http://twitter.com/official_pax for updates on the BYOC room AND for updates when BYOC passes go on sale!

I bought a BYOC pass but now I don't want it! Where can I sell it??
    You have two choices. BYOC passes are being mailed out along with regular passes. You can either give it to a friend or you can ask for a refund, email [email protected]

What is the EXPO floor like?
    The exhibition hall is full of all sorts of exhibitors and vendors. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there are tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies.
    1299871269-paxeast015500p.jpg

The ticket says the Exhibit Hall closes at 6pm but the Event stays open until 12AM. Does this mean there will be actual things happening and things to look at until 12AM or does it just mean people are allowed to co-mingle in the building until they close the doors at 12AM?
    Once you hit the later hours, the Expo Hall will be shut down. However, you'll still have the Concerts, Panels, Console/PC Freeplay, Handheld Lounge, Tabletop Lounge, etc. In previous years, there have also been movie/webisode screenings fairly late as well. Basically, it's "Make your own fun with people" time!

How do we transfer tickets? I bought a registration and BYOC pass, but recently found out I won't be going, and have a friend who wants to buy my tickets from me, but neither of us have any idea how to get the ticket to be transferred.
    BYOC ticket registration is done differently than the 4-day pass, look to the eventual BYOC thread for your answer. For general admission passes you just have to mail it to the person when they are shipped out. If you would like to transfer the ticket it's a little more involved. If you have or are buying tickets that must be picked up at will call, email [email protected]

I have moved since buying my PAX passes. How do I change my address information to ensure that my passes get mailed to my current address and not my previous address?
    First, you should submit a change of address through the USPS. This will ensure all mail sent to your previous address is sent to your current address. Once you've done that, log in to My Tickets at Showclix. If you didn't already have an account, one was created for you using the email address you used during registration. Use the forgot password link to get your password and then log in. Once you've logged in you will be able to edit your address as long as it's before the address cut-off deadline. The deadline is usually around a month prior to PAX. Email [email protected] for the exact address cut-off date.

I didn’t receive my PAX Badges in the Mail!! What do I do?
    If you live outside of the US, or you purchased your pass after the cut off date for badges to be mailed, you will need to pick up your badge at Will Call using your paper ticket with the Bar Code on it AND a valid piece of photo ID. If your badge really is lost in the mail, email [email protected]

I have my badge; do I need the paper ticket with the bar-code on it?
    Nope! You’re good to go.

I really don't want to lose my badge! Any tips?
    YES! use this style loop with the provided lanyards for extra security if the clip seems weak or ineffectual
    529pazebgxpq.jpg

Will there be WiFi accessible at PAX?
    Maybe? WSCC may have free wifi available; however it’s been spotty at best in years past. We don’t recommended relying on WSCC wifi being available.

Are there iphone/android apps for pax?
    Yes! The official Guidebook app will be linked via http://prime.paxsite.com once the schedule is released.

Are there going to be a ton of people this year?
    There's going to be a ton of people.

Will just one day will be enough PAX?
    No matter who you ask on this forum, we're all going to say no. If you don't want to believe us, that's fine, but when you get to PAX for that one day and realize you could have had four days of that, you're going to regret not buying the whole weekend.

I'm disabled/ have a mobility impairment/ use a wheelchair, how easy will it be to get around PAX?
    No problem, apply for a medical pass, and you get special accommodation getting into panels and the like. You can apply for a pass for yourself and a +1 so you can have someone help you. To register, email [email protected]

I'm lost, alone and terribly scared! What Do?
    Help is never far! Cast your gaze upon the crowd and look for awesome people wearing these sweet blue shirts (They say ENFORCER on the back). They can direct you to where to go and provide any help you need.
    Average-Enforcers-sans-kilt-by-Alice-Karsevar.jpg

I have an amazing idea for a panel!! Who should I contact?!?
    If you just have an idea email [email protected] with your pitch! If you actually want to run your own panel head over to prime.panels.paxsite.com with your proposal. If accepted you and your participants will receive a complimentary Speaker Pass for PAX Prime 2014. Good luck!

Just how BIG is PAX?
    Excellent question! this may be of interest to you. (Credit goes to @”dyaballikl”)

I was expecting to get my badge in the mail and all I received is this bobcat? Wut??
    bobcat.jpg

Bobcat is working as intended.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    LINES (top)

How early should I get in line each day?
    Getting in line is something that should be decided by YOU, so many of us can't tell you exactly when you should show up.
    However, I would recommend getting in line fairly shortly after the doors open. If not, then feel free to show up whenever you wake up.
    If you are the more social geek, I would highly recommend getting in line as soon as you can.
    The people are what make PAX, and there is no better way to meet/converse/trade pokemans with these people than being in line. Remember, you are all there showing your love for games in some way, shape or form, so feel free to strike up a conversation with the person next to you!
    However, if you end up befriending these people, I would highly suggest getting their contact info, as I have lost many potential friends this way, watching the people I just spent 3 hours with in line fade off into the crowd of gamers.

NOTE: doors to the building don't open until 8am!

My Gods! The Lines! The Crowded Crowded Lines! What do I do about the Lines?
    Whichever venue PAX is in, on whatever coast in whosoever dimension, Crowding is almost omnipresent. Recent PAXes have sold out weeks in advance, and the various convention centers have been unable to contain their awesomeness in a roomy manner. There are lines for almost everything, including lines in order to get into lines (I'm talking to you, Merch line PAX East). There is little you can do to avoid them.

Neither is there a hard and fast rule for when you need to get in line for a panel or event, as it depends on demand for the individual panel, as well as what day of the Con it's on, what's going on at the same time, and whether Wil Wheaton is involved in any way. For most Panels an hour beforehand is quite sufficient, and you might be able to get away with 30 minutes, if you're lucky. The Make A Strip Panel, any Wil Wheaton Panel, and Scott Kurtz are likely to require a little more time. If you want to get into the keynote on Friday, you'll need to arrive at the convention center when it opens at 8:00am, and go straight to the Main Theatre line up.

Advice for surviving the lines
    • Relax - Lines happen. Getting angry, impatient or upset will not make them go away. Before you line up, decide whether spending this time is worth it, and then simply go with it. Take the time to plan the rest of your day, read the forums or, better yet, refer to the bottom entry in this list.
    • Follow http://twitter.com.PAX_Lines !! This feed updates constantly about how full lines are around the convention.
    • Plan Ahead and Prioritise - Unfortunately there is no chance that any one person can experience everything PAX has to offer, and any five people would have their work cut out for them. When you're looking at which panels or events to go to, choose a few select things you absolutely can't miss and spend the time in line to make sure you get in. When looking at the timetable try to mentally add queue times to the beginning of each session, to get a more realistic idea of what you can and can't see.
    • Queue Responsibly - Don't impede walkways. If an enforcer asks you to move, he's not taking away your place in line, just trying to consolidate it into something more manageable and less in the way.
    • Get comfortable - If sitting on a hard surface or standing for extended periods of time causes you discomfort, you might want to consider bringing a cushion or potentially applying for a medical badge. Unfortunately, chairs or beanbags can't be provided because they would hamper evacuation in the event of fire.
    • I need to pee - That's not a problem. Just ask your friendly line neighbour to hold your place, and go. Try not to leave it until the doors open, and DO NOT open your DS or check your Facebook whilst enthroned. If you want to be super prepared, check to see where the nearest restroom is before you get in line, and visit it before you settle down to wait. Also, don't dehydrate yourself just in order to hold your place in line.
    • Enjoy the lines - Seriously. There are few places in the world where the next random person standing next to you is likely to be friendly, and instantly grok your rim-shot Monty Python reference, Trade you that last Pokemon, or finally explain THAC0 to your satisfaction. Take your Magic deck, DS, Zombie Dice, Travel Catan and a bottle of water, and hang out with some interesting people for a while.

There are of course some people who find it impossible to wait in line for any reason. If you have a medical condition which precludes lines, talk to the enforcers, who may well be able to accommodate you. If you are simply temperamentally unsuited to waiting, or don't want to take the time to do so, there are ways to enjoy yourself at PAX without waiting around. Many freeplay areas, especially Tabletop, can easily be navigated without having to wait at all, or with a simple sign-up sheet. Large portions of the expo halls also, and the Concerts have generally been accessible 20 minutes or so after the line has gone in. Play tests for the major developers are essentially impossible to get into You may need to sit or stand nearer to the back of the hall, but if you hate lines you probably aren't all that fond of mosh pits either. Not all the sessions fill up to capacity, especially later in the con. As long as you avoid the big ticket sessions, and are prepared for disappointment, you may simply be able to ask the enforcers on the door if there is any space inside.

Are the theatres cleared in-between panels / concerts?
    YES! Except for a few back to back panels in the main theatre (ie, the Keynotes goes right into the first PA Q&A) all theatres are cleared out between panels.

Is it true that PAX Prime is SO BIG now that some lines are OUTSIDE??!?
    Yes! It has definitely happened in the past! Please PLAN ACCORDINGLY. Bring sun protection and rain protection. It may be summer, but this is Seattle. You never know what you're going to get.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Concerts (top)

aywth5-525x350.jpg

I heard the concerts were loud. Is this true?
    Yes, and maybe. It's all relative, but the concerts can get pretty loud. It's a big space, with a lot of people, and everyone wants to be able to hear, right?

Can you turn the volume down? It's hurting my ears!
    No, unfortunately, the volume cannot be turned down; the knobs on all the amps were taken off by sneaky Rock Gremlins. If you think that volume might be an issue, we suggest this time-tested concert junkie trick: bring a set of earplugs to help muffle the sound. Convenient personal sound dampening, available in several fun colors! Make sure you get "musician's earplugs" or "high-fidelity earplugs". These are earplugs with channels in them that attenuate all frequencies equally. Basically, they just make everything you hear quieter, without changing how it sounds. These can be found on Amazon for about $10.

Also I believe enforcers now carry earplugs to give to attendees during concerts if needed. Don't RELY on this, but it's probably a good backup.

How do the concerts work?
    Much like everything else at PAX, concerts are first come, first served. However, please don't attempt to line up for them more than a reasonable time prior to the start of the concerts. Ask an enforcer in the area where the concerts will be taking place and they can tell you when you will be allowed to start lining up.

What happened to concert wristbands?
    Wristbands have been done away with in favour of the new first come first serve system.

How Late do the concerts go?
    Concerts are scheduled to end around 2330-midnight though sometimes they can run a tad late.

Where will the concerts be?!?
    At PAX Prime 2014 the Main Theatre was located in the Benaroya Theatre, and at Prime 2013 the Paramount Theatre. It will likely be one of those two venues.

What is the schedule for bands performing?
    To be determined. This will be updated as soon as this information becomes available.

When should I show up to see performance X?
    The Main Theatre has a very high capacity during concerts, as well as a higher turnover than during panels. More often than not, you can simply walk right in. However, to be safer, for any given band, you should attempt to show up around a half an hour to an hour before they are scheduled to start (earlier if you want to be toward the front).

What happens if the theatre fills up?
    Enforcers do take count of attendance, and new admission will be temporarily denied if the theatre is full. However, concerts tend to have high turnover, and new people will be allowed in on a roughly 25-out, 25-in schedule.

Are there medical badge accommodations for concerts?
    Absolutely! Just like with any other panel, if you show up before the line is capped, anyone with a medical badge will be allowed in early to find a seat.

What is the policy on moshing?
    Please don’t do it. PAX concerts are intended to be a fun, enjoyable experience for everyone. Moshing is not fun for everyone, and puts people at risk. If any violent or aggressive behavior is witnessed in the crowd, you will be asked to stop by an Enforcer. Repeated action will result in a minimum of removal from the concerts. We simply ask that you control yourself and allow EVERYONE around you to have a good time!

Is food allowed in the concerts?
    This is venue determined I believe. I would guess that the general policy is no, but ask an enforcer at the concerts to find out for sure!

What if I see something potentially hazardous or have other questions/concerns?
    This is the same at concerts as with anywhere else in PAX: talk to an Enforcer! Enforcers are friendly, and they are there to help and to do their best to make sure you have a great PAX experience.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Merch Booth (top)

The PA merch booth has ITEM X that I really really really want. When should I get it?
    As soon as you can. Typically this means Friday morning on your way to the queue line. If what you want is guaranteed to be in limited supply (like the exclusive pins, merch hats, or uncommonly sized tee shirts) get it first.

What will be for sale at the official merch booth?
    The PA booth generally stocks a healthy supply of the books , the most popular tee shirts from the website in sizes S-4XL for men and S-2XL for babydoll, some other items limited items such as merch hats and select hoodies (hats are one size, hoodies are unisex sizes S-3XL), and of course the coveted, limited PAX-specific goodies such as tee shirts and/or scarves.

This info could be out of date, however. Email [email protected] for up to date information on the next pax if you can't wait till we get there to find out.

Will there be a PAX exclusive item?
    Maybe. Follow Official_PAX on twitter and they may give sneak peeks!

The merch line is longer than longcat! When will it die down?
    There may be a lull on Sunday/Monday afternoons, when much of the stock is depleted. Don't worry! The line moves quick and it's a good way to meet other people with pokewalkers/magic cards/beach balls/THAT THING YOU LIKE.

Why is ITEM X sold out?! I really wanted it!
    A lot of other people wanted it too. Brian the Awesome Merch Master Guy does his best to estimate demand, but he is a genuine meat human. If you really want ITEM X, buy it early and don't wait until the end of the show. If it is not PAX-specific, you can probably find it on the PA Merch website.

I waited in line for a half hour and NOW you're telling me you don't have ITEM X? Sad Boosh.
    This happens sometimes. It could be it sold out while you were waiting in line. It might have been the guy in front of you. It might have been 10 minutes after opening on Friday (in which case there will hopefully be a sign posted). Don't fret. There is plenty of other stuff for you to get. Think ahead and have a Plan B of How To Spend Your Money.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Tournaments (top)

When do I sign up for tournaments?
    Tournament registration is Friday or Day of. Look out for each departments Tournament thread for specific information when it gets close to PAX. If there's no thread for the tournament type you are interested in, head to that department asap when you get to pax to get the information! Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.
    Hint! Follow http://twitter.com/PAX_tourney for more tournament information!

Will x tournament or event be happening at PAX?
    Possibly, announcements will be made about 3-4 weeks prior to PAX. Keep an eye on the forums for details! each department that does tournaments will usually make its own post about said tournaments and their rules.

What is the Omegathon?
    The Omegathon is a grueling test of "skill" in which 20 randomly selected pre-registered attendees will battle for an amazing prize, in past years, this prize has been an all expenses paid trip to the Tokyo Games Show in JAPAN. They mostly make them play crazy games like Mario Kart, Bananagrams, and Operation for their amusement. If you are not selected to be an Omeganaut, it's still a lot of fun watching and enjoying their torment!

How do I become an Omeganaut?
    As of the last couple paxes, those who are eligible to opt-in for the Omegathon get an email with opt-in instructions. Then you just have to hope you are one of the lucky people to get a call from Penny Arcade saying you are in. Please NOTE: if you do not get a phone call from a Penny Arcade employee asking you to be an Omeganaut, then you are not an Omeganaut. There are only 20 for PAX Prime!

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Should I Bring my Children to PAX? (top)

PAX is open to all ages, and many parents choose to bring their children and infants, but before you haul little Timmy and Amanda down to the showfloor, a few things to consider:

- PAX is LOUD. Little ears tend to be sensitive, so take this into consideration if your child doesn't like noisy environments.

- PAX is CROWDED. People don't tend to look down; be prepared to keep the little ones from being stepped on if they're on the shorter side. This is true of any crowd situation, not just PAX. You will need to be aware of all people at all times. Also, per the preregistration site (Interactive Ticketing), "Strollers are not permitted on the show floor at any time". Perhaps try a front pack?

- PAX breeds GERMS. Again, true of all crowded/convention situations. PAX Prime '09 saw a fairly large outbreak of H1N1 and other flu strains; keep this in mind before exposing any little ones that might be in concern categories for illness.

- PAX is full of SWEARING. The typical demographic of PAX, while fairly diverse, does contain a large number of younger people with a tendency swear. Profusely. About everything. If language is a concern for you, be aware that epithets are a time-honoured PAX tradition, and will be overheard everywhere.

- PAX is FREE for kids 6 and Under. Conversely, PAX is FULL PRICE for kids 7 and older. So, budget accordingly.

Now, taking everything into consideration, it's up to you! A little planning ahead and your kids can have just as much fun at PAX as everyone else! Just be aware what hurdles there may be, and prepare appropriately!

I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?
    It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings, even if your parents/guardians are present. Be aware that some exhibitors may ask you for your ID.
    It should also be noted that there is no way for a minor's guardian to allow the minor to play/view M-Rated content without the guardian physically present for the content; there is no "permission form" or similar thing available. Also, some exhibitors might still not allow minors to view their M-Rated content with the guardian present.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Travel (top)

I'm flying to PAX, how soon should I book my flight?
    6-8 weeks before your date of travel seem to be the "sweet spot" of prices. However, keep an eye on prices with sites like http://www.kayak.com/ and you can figure out the best price for your flight from there.

Is it safe to put your DESKTOP PC into an airplane? Can you check it with your airline carrier and see it in once piece at it's destination? Can you ship it to your hotel safely and timely? What other alternatives are there?
    The safest way is driving it and bringing it with you. The next safest is taking it and having it professionally packed, lots of Styrofoam and bubble wrap and shipping it one of the quicker (2-3 day) options as opposed to the 6 day or so ground transport. The absolute worst way is on an airplane. First, it's going to cost you since just about everyone is charging for bags now, second, chances are TSA is going to open whatever you have it carefully packaged in and third, baggage handlers hate you.

What should I bring with me to PAX?
    CatBoy wrote:
    I better get this in just so everyone is kinda prepared and in the know of what to bring to PAX or any con that may come their way. (I'm sorry for the huge post, but a lot of people don't know what to bring.)

The Top Twenty Items Forgotten by Convention Attendees Checklist
    1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.

* A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.

2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)

3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)

4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)

5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel

6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)

7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)

8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)

9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)

10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)

11. Swimsuit (You never know.)

12. Jacket or warm sweater

13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)

14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)

15. Tylenol/Aspirin/etc

16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys

17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)

18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.

19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)

20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Hotels (top)

What Hotels are available for booking?
    At this time, Unknown! Once hotel registration is live, this will be updated with a link to that information!

How do I get the PAX discount on my hotel room?
    All information on hotels offering a PAX discount will be available at PAX Hotel Site
    All pricing given is per night

How much do the hotels cost?
    Until the hotel website goes live, we don't know. However in the past hotel prices have ranged from $180-$210 per night. If you are driving to Seattle, be aware that hotels will charge you for parking. This ranges from $30-$50 a night.

What days can you book for at the discounted rate?
    Depends on the hotel! Some have from Tuesday Check-in - the following Wednesday Check-Out (note: There are more rooms available for Fri-Mon than other days)

Do they charge my credit card when I reserve my room?
    It depends on the hotel; most only use your credit card to hold the room. When you check in, they put a hold on the card you present them at that time for the amount of your stay and when you check out they charge that, plus any billable charges (phone calls, pay per view, room service) to your card at that time. Some hotels have started requiring a deposit equal to one night's stay. If this is the case, it should be clearly noted on the hotel's website.

How far away are the hotels from the convention center?
    This information can be found when booking through the OnPeak pax hotel site!

How many people can stay in one hotel room?
    Most hotels allow four, however be aware when you reserve a room with four people per room, they tack on an additional charge. You choose the expected occupancy of the room when you book.

When/where should I book my hotel
    As soon as at PAX hotel site opens registration. Sooner the Better! Watch the forums & http://twitter.com/official_pax for when this happens.

What time is check in at these hotels?
    Most hotels have check in at around 3-4pm. If you're going to be arriving in town later in the evening or at night, be sure to let the hotel know when you make your reservation. If you are arriving early, most hotels will hold your luggage if you want to see the city before check-in time

I want to find people to share my hotel room, or find people to room with! what should I do?
    Once Hotel Registration goes live, a “Room Share” Thread will be posted.

Is there any way for me to confirm that the Hotel got my booking and it’s correct?
    Yes! About 2 weeks before PAX, the hotel booking service On Peak will transfer its bookings to the Hotels. Once that’s done you can call the hotel directly and confirm your reservation. This is highly recommended as sometimes OnPeak makes mistakes and it’s better to correct these a couple weeks before PAX vs the day you try to check in.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Downtown Seattle (top)

Oh God, I can't leave! I might miss something important! But, what is this land you call... this land?!
    Everybody coming to Seattle may not necessarily be a resident. Don't be afraid to take time away from the convention with your newfound friends, check out a restaurant or two, poke down to whatever sites of local interest there are - look into joining one of the community gatherings, it may take you into the city to find things you wouldn't know about otherwise.

What's the weather like in Seattle during PAX?
    The weather's been great for every single PAX. (subject to interpretation)
    In late August, expect temperatures of mid-to-high 50's (only late at night of course) to the mid 70's.
    or, 10C to 28C for the rest of the world. :P

Is there any free parking downtown?
    No, parking costs money downtown.

How much does it cost to park?
    Parking is $25+ per day. If you're flying in, take the light rail from the airport, don't bother renting a car. You won't need it unless you want to leave downtown. If you want to avoid valet parking (and limited access to your vehicle), the WSCC parking lot is right across the street from the Sheraton.

Where can I get something to eat in downtown Seattle?
    Practically everywhere, there are two malls and Pike Place Market all within walking distance of the Convention Center and Hotels. Keep your eyes to the forum too, as there are typically a restaurant guide thread and a Seattle area info thread.

I hear there's a Gameworks near the WSCC, what's a Gameworks?
    Gameworks is a 2-story arcade with full restaurant and bar on the upper floor. Arcade games from all eras, including a section to win tickets and redeem them for cheezy prizes. The food is pretty good, but the service can suck sometimes. The bar is a bar. It has booze. It's also in a more separate section of the upper floor that's roped off for 21+, but still has a kickass view of the whole facility.

Where do the parties happen?
    Industry companies often sponsor parties at local venues throughout the city! There is usually a community-curated list of parties in a party thread as we get closer to the event.

Is there an age limit on the parties?
    21+ unless there's no alcohol involved

How hard is it to get around downtown Seattle? Will I need a car?
    Most of anything you will need is located within walking distance of the PAX hotels and convention center. You will only need a car if you plan on traveling outside of downtown (so probably not at all)

If I want to leave downtown, how do I find my way around on the Transit System?
    One Bus Away is a fancy multi platform tool that can help you choose the best way to get from where you are to where you want to go. Check it out!

What are some good places to drink beer with lots of people in Seattle that are near the Convention Center?
    Sort of like parties, there's usually a community curated thread specifically for this information as we get closer to the event.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    Social (top)

I'm above the average age of 26 by a decade or more. Will I be the oldest person there?
    No, plenty of the post-20s gaming crowd come out to enjoy PAX as well. You are not alone. PAX is geeks reveling in geekery. Age isn't much of a concern.

PAX was awesome! I want to see everything next year! Should I apply to be an Enforcer?
    Even if an open call for Enforcers for Prime does happen, Enforcing means that you are likely to see less, not more, of PAX. When considering becoming an Enforcer it's very important to remember that you go from attending PAX for fun to attending PAX for work, and that has certain implications. Rule #2 of Enforcing is: PAX Is Not For Us - it's for Attendees. (Rule #1, of course, is 'Don't be a Dick'.) If you want to see the maximum number of things at PAX, you should consider returning as an Attendee instead of applying to be an Enforcer.

Should I bring a Nintendo 3DS (or other handheld gaming device) to PAX?
    YES! PAX is a HAVEN for multiplayer handheld gaming, and has near infinite potential for things like Nintendo's Streetpass.

Is anybody going to be doing anything before PAX opens/after PAX closes or ends?
    Yes, there will be tons of stuff going on, keep an eye on threads in this forum to find awesome stuff to do with other PAX-goers.

A bunch of people are getting together at an area bar, but I'm under 21. Will I still be able to go and hang out if I'm not drinking?
    No, bars in Seattle are pretty strict. If you're not 21+, it's a safe bet they won't let you in.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    PAX Costume Policies (top)

First off, there's a great community thread for this already http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/192878/pax-prime-2015-cosplay

All Costume Weapons MUST adhere to the official policy described on the pax prime website
    http://prime.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies
    AaronC wrote: »
    The method of checking will be a booth (location TBA) which will be staffed by from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified even if it's an allowed costume weapon.

Attendees whose weapons are allowed will have one or two methods to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. Any Enforcer can check to see if the costume weapons have been checked.

If an attendee's weapon is ok they will either get a zip tie (color TBA) placed on the weapon and/or a sticker on the back of their badge with a short description of the item and the name of the Enforcer who checked it.

@AaronC is a great resource if you have any questions on the costume weapons policy, and he regularly monitors the cosplay thread I linked above. Ask him questions in there or via PM!

What kind of restrictions on clothing are there?
    Cosplaying attendees may be asked to alter or modify their costume if it is considered overtly sexual. As to what is considered overtly sexual, that's a good question to ask PAX Staff such as AaronC.

What about booth babe policies?
    These apply only to staff used by exhibitors to promote their products at PAX. The official policy can be found here: prime.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#booth-babe-policies

zerzhul on
    edited April 2015
    (top)
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BUYING PASSES FROM SECONDARY SOURCES

I just bought a pass on craigslist / ebay, how do I know if it's legit?
    This really won't apply until after PAX PRIME passes go on sale and subsequently sell out, but I wanted to put this out there anyways. If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there is no buy/sell/trade of pax passes on this forum.

AT PAX you can have badges verified by badge-checking enforcers outside the show. There is no way to verify a second-hand badge prior to being at PAX.

2l6cl2.jpg

zerzhul on
    And thus concludes the initial posting of the PAX Prime 2015 FAQ.

Please read it and let me know of any mistakes or suggestions for improvements.

The rest of this thread is for PAX Prime 2015 Q&A!

• pikapilepikapile Registered User new member
    Question, why did they decide to not put PAX in labor day?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There's another convention that booked the WSCC on the Tuesday after Labor Day. PAX needs at least 2 days to teardown, so there's no way they could have had the show Labor Day weekend.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    The American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) is the organization that booked the center this year, but looking at their future meeting schedule shows they will not be back in Seattle for a while:
    http://www.assh.org/annualmeeting/Registration/Future-Annual-Meetings

The American Fisheries Society (AFS) was the organization that caused the same thing to happen in 2011, and looks like they won't be back in Seattle for at least a few years:
    http://fisheries.org/meetings

So hopefully Prime will have Labor Day open for a while, unless another organization steps in. I wonder how long in advance you are able to book the convention center.

IhtGIyi.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    PAX 2007 (the first year in the WSCC) was also not Labor Day weekend.

Generally, convention centers can be booked 4-5 years in advance for large events. I believe there is a similar situation for East due to a long-running event that wants the same weekend as PAX. To my knowledge, PA has not made any statements regarding how far in advance they have the WSCC booked (unlike the announcement for PAX South that confirmed the event through at least 2017, I think).

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Getting To/From the Airport

As mentioned in the FAQ, don't bother renting a car if you are staying downtown. The cheapest option, by far, is Seattle's Link Light Rail. The fare is $3 and it takes about 45 minutes to get downtown. Provided you don't arrive during rush hour, it can be faster to take a hotel shuttle or cab. The price for the former varies by hotel, and the latter will run you between $40-$50. I believe Uber and Lyft can pick up from the airport (please verify this yourself if you want to use these options). Again, if you arrive during rush hour, the light rail will probably be your best bet.

ASimPerson on
  • adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    Not that 25 cents is a big deal but the link light rail is $3 from the airport to downtown now (one way). Well, it's a big deal to me cause I ride it all the time boo :bigfrown:

• hkm120195hkm120195 Registered User new member
    My friend and I are planning on cosplaying Portal 2. Would a Portal Gun be allowed in Pax?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You should be fine. Make sure to review the weapons check policy though.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • The9thLionThe9thLion Registered User new member
    I am the designated ticket buyer of my group and I'm also purchasing for my cousin. I want to buy 5 Saturday-only tickets (3 for my group, 2 for my cousin's) but hear you can only get 4 of any one kind. Is this true? And if I'm quick and make 2 orders will that get around the limit? Like could I maybe ship to two addresses but make both purchases with the same credit card?

• WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    yeah, you can only buy 4 of any one type of pass.

You can try and go back through to get more, but you'll have to wait through the queue again and they could possibly sell out within that time. Saturdays are usually the first to go

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The9thLion wrote: »
    I am the designated ticket buyer of my group and I'm also purchasing for my cousin. I want to buy 5 Saturday-only tickets (3 for my group, 2 for my cousin's) but hear you can only get 4 of any one kind. Is this true? And if I'm quick and make 2 orders will that get around the limit? Like could I maybe ship to two addresses but make both purchases with the same credit card?
    Trying to circumvent the 4-badge limit is against the rules. If they figure it out, your orders will be canceled. Also, having all the ticket buying responsibility for a group rest on one person should be avoided if at all possible. Just because a lot of luck is involved. The more people in your group trying, the better a chance you have.

• WedjatWedjat SeattleRegistered User regular
    You might try buying 4 Saturdays and 1 of something else to try to trade it later.

But yeah, the 4 limit is a firm one and they will cancel your order if they found you tried to circumvent it.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

I would highly recommend that you don't have just "one" ticket buyer.

Last year, for example, it only worked out because my brother and I both tried. We needed 6 full sets so we had to anyway, but if we had only needed 4 we might have not been able to get them. I was F5ing and got 4 full sets. My brother waited for the text and got the 2 sets without Saturdays. So with two of us trying to get tickets we almost didn't get enough (and didn't for two people who couldn't go on Saturday). So... just a word of caution, you may want two people at least trying if you really want to go.

Pavio on
    v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • FujiFuji Registered User new member
    Hey all. So this will be my first year that my friends and I will be attempting for PAX Prime. We're a group of about 8-10 people, so I have a question regarding Ticket purchases.

Of all the group, my girlfriend and I are the most on ready for the ticket purchases. We have an apartment together and also have our own computers. We are looking to buy max amount of tickets each so we can have majority of group already covered with just both our ticket buys. SO here is my question, I have been told that the Ticket purchasing can be a tad weird if our Debit/Credit Card rings up as the same address? OR that having same internet thingy at same home can be weird as well. Heard that weirdness can possibly result in tickets being cancelled.

Is this bit of info true? Appreciate any help.

Fuji wrote: »
    Hey all. So this will be my first year that my friends and I will be attempting for PAX Prime. We're a group of about 8-10 people, so I have a question regarding Ticket purchases.

Of all the group, my girlfriend and I are the most on ready for the ticket purchases. We have an apartment together and also have our own computers. We are looking to buy max amount of tickets each so we can have majority of group already covered with just both our ticket buys. SO here is my question, I have been told that the Ticket purchasing can be a tad weird if our Debit/Credit Card rings up as the same address? OR that having same internet thingy at same home can be weird as well. Heard that weirdness can possibly result in tickets being cancelled.

Is this bit of info true? Appreciate any help.

It is possible that your transactions could be flagged as trying to bypass the ticket limit using different credit cards and different names all at the same address. Assuming that your use is legitimate, I would proactively email [email protected] explaining what you plan to do and seek their guidance.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So now that panel submissions are open, I have a question about them. Is this to submit a panel you plan on hosting, or just a panel you'd like to see? I'd love to see a Super Best Friends Panel (they've done them at other cons, and were at PAX Prime last year but just as expo hall people and guests) but I wouldn't want to submit a panel for them with the expectation I would be the one to run it.

I *believe* that it's to submit a panel that you would be hosting.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Correct.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • DeToX86DeToX86 Registered User regular
    Did anyone else have problems buying a set of 4 tickets? I just kept getting error messages trying to buy a full set of 4 so I tried 3 and eventually 2 before it finally worked. Needing 7 sets for our group it was a big blow to only get 2 sets. Was this change intentional or some kind of glitch?

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    DeToX86 wrote: »
    Did anyone else have problems buying a set of 4 tickets? I just kept getting error messages trying to buy a full set of 4 so I tried 3 and eventually 2 before it finally worked. Needing 7 sets for our group it was a big blow to only get 2 sets. Was this change intentional or some kind of glitch?

I know there is a limit on # of badges, but I think it's higher than four?

Edit: My friend is saying that you can have 4 tickets per person per day but is restricting him to only 2 tickets per day. Perhaps this is where your problem lies.

Keroan on
  • DeToX86DeToX86 Registered User regular
    Ya, it sounds like a known issue. I was also in the queue on my phone so I was able to grab another full set of 2 so it worked out and I was able to get all 4 sets.

• pewx3pewx3 Eugene, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Just wondering if media registration will be going live any time soon. Asked via Twitter but never heard back.

pewx3 on
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »

Correct.

That's a bummer. Is there a point of contact for things we want to see from professionals in the future (like a certain company or group) that we aren't actually involved with? Or do companies just have to come to you and ask to be a part of the show?

Regarding tickets, myself, my boyfriend, and my friend were all only able to get 2 sets of 4, even though the message on the queue page said you could get 4 per day per person. We also luckily all got what we needed, but we usually have friends who can't get in the queue for whatever reason and last year helped them out, but this year they'll be out of luck.

By the way, I noticed the "Changes" thing on the PAX site, I approve and appreciate!

pewx3 wrote: »
    Just wondering if media registration will be going live any time soon. Asked via Twitter but never heard back.
    [email protected]

• pewx3pewx3 Eugene, ORRegistered User regular
    pewx3 wrote: »
    [email protected]

Thank you!

No problem! Hopefully they get back to you in a timely fashion, otherwise just watch twitter and the registration tab at prime.paxsite.com

This discussion has been closed.