As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Why yes it is. I splurge on them now and again. I quite like the resin copies they sell. :)

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I really like that they make a lot of sensibly-armored women soldier-types

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Alright, after entirely too many hours and a billion distractions, I finally finished my BattleTech ComStar Level 2.

b5fb5114-3697-4fd0-96d9-76947974343e.jpg

The white with black-lined panels, while laborious to get done, looks really nice. It could be better in places, but I'm happy with it on the whole.

And as a bonus, since I was almost done with them as well, I also finished up my Free Rasalhague Republic (Space Vikings) Lance.

ed25da91-a82f-4269-ad0b-5f18e4713c16.jpg

It's kind of hard to make it out in the shitty cellphone pic, but they're based with snow for the arctic climates they guard.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    So silly question... when you guys paint and use pill bottles, do you guys tape them to the cap, does the bottle make it easier to hold or what?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I use generic bluetack and plastic shot glasses. And yeah, it's to make it easier to hold, you can just hold the glass/bottle/cork in your palm to hold it nice and steady.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    @Nips It might be worth painting the edges of the snow hexes in a contrasting color.

You have some mighty fine mechs there.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Helpful pic!

I'm just holding onto the glass, with one finger supporting the model. I never have to touch the model with my fingertips, where is where most of the skin oil is. When painting I have both elbows on the table for steady support and rest the right hand on the left one and only move my fingers when painting.

7ub97ejhqb88.jpg

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Yeah, having your mini holding hand and painting hand locked together really helps to keep things steady.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    As Echo says, poster-tac is the way to go. It gives you a much larger area to hold and keeps your fingers off your work. It's also easier to do things like flip it around and still be able to hold it comfortably.

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks guys! Now to, uh, "acquire" some dram bottles from work... It's cool I work in a pharmacy. And before you ask, yes, the bottles will be empty.

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If you use pill bottle like I do, make sure to put some coins on something in the bottle to help give it some stability, otherwise, you're model will fall over at the slightest breath.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    In other news, I ordered some Malifaux stuff just because the models are cool I swear I'm not starting another game really really

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I like showing off my painted models to people unfamiliar with the hobby. They act like I'm Rembrandt. :)

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    How do you paint something SO SMALL. I could NEVER do that.

Yes you could...you just don't like listening to podcasts enough.

• Options
    My Anarchy Models stencils arrived today and suddenly I feel that everything needs a hex pattern.

rxuayke1s298.jpg

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I'm about to prime in white for the first time. How fucked am I?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I primed white for the first time recently and it was pretty easy. The only downside is that it can be harder to tell where bare metal is still showing, but honestly you're way better off with a slightly incomplete coat than an overdone coat.

Also colors seem to go over white waaaaay easier than black.

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    White isn't bad but when I use it I like to jam a super dark layer of the main color I'll be using right up in the armpits and other hard to reach areas before I put the rest of the base coat colors on.

• Options
    It's International Tabletop Day tomorrow, so Customeeple will have a 15% sale on stuff. Might be of interest to the Euros in the thread.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've been trying to think of ways to put my own touch on my Coven DE vehicles without going too over the top.

I also wanted to armour up the front of my Ravager a little since it is Av11. This is what I have come up with so far.

GiJbhX0.png?2

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Can we get a better shot of the guys hanging/impaled on the front?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They look like the zombies that pull the VC corpse cart. Is that right?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Taking a good picture is impossible! Anyway my first 4 Dark Angel Space Marines from the starter box are now all done. Time to do the others.

1428749724fgk.jpg

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Rule no. 1 of good pictures: photograph against a uniform background, even a piece of paper will do. The only things on the photo are supposed to be your minis and the background. If the background consists of two things (like floor+wall) that's already sub-optimal.
    If you're taking photos with an actual camera (not a cellphone) I can provide additional tips (this is what I was able to squeeze out of an old Canon a530, an old compact camera: http://goblinart.pl/mps/photos/lvl2/022-ultras.jpg)

• Options
    Currently using my iPhone byt i have an old cannon somewhere. Your picture is awesome.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Please do not actually shoot your minis with a cannon razz.gif
    I encourage you to dig it out and give it a try. Photographing your minis is pretty fun by itself, you learn a new, useful skill and end up with nice documentation of your work.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Lets try again. This time with a purple color blanket as bakground and taken outside to get easy lightning. Hardly perfect but its a start.

1428756648xxw.jpg

Lind on
  • Options
    That's, like, a million times better than your previous pic. Nice looking DA!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Can we get a better shot of the guys hanging/impaled on the front?
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    They look like the zombies that pull the VC corpse cart. Is that right?

Yup, it's just the front part of the corpse cart cut up a bit and put in place of the front ram.

6s8v9bR.png?1r41HvMX.png?1

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @Lind : Noice! I can see the paint is applied a bit thick but if these are your first minis, I must say the cleanliness is astounding.
    My two main suggestion for the best improvement would be - thin down your paints a bit more and try a bit of edge highlighting. If you work on these two elements, you've got a great TT+ ready. A whole army painted this way is going to look fantastic.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Yeah thining the paint is tricky. I got it down decently on the base colors but layer paints refuse to behave.

• Options
    If you're planning on building a DA army, investing in a can of dark green spray is an excellent idea. But learning how to thin your paint properly is a must anyway.

Are you just using water? I don't consider dedicated thinners as necessary as many top painters will. But when thinning down for the first layer of a given colour, use 1 part dish soap and 20 parts water for an even coverage.

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Yup, it's just the front part of the corpse cart cut up a bit and put in place of the front ram.

I dunno about sword arm guy. He looks a bit too animated, like an actual zombie instead of a grisly trophy. That might be what you're going for though.
    Also I think they are both very fantasy-ish. Some wires or bionic bits or guardsmen stuff would probably look good.

In general though I really like it so far!

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    If you're planning on building a DA army, investing in a can of dark green spray is an excellent idea. But learning how to thin your paint properly is a must anyway.

Are you just using water? I don't consider dedicated thinners as necessary as many top painters will. But when thinning down for the first layer of a given colour, use 1 part dish soap and 20 parts water for an even coverage.

It really depends on what paint he's trying to thin. You should know if your paint is water based, alcohol based, or whatever... A little water is usually fine anyway but definitely use thinner with metallic paints or they'll separate.

In other news, here's some slightly unfinished Nobz:
    ji097fln5mku.jpg

• Options
    Im using citadel colors and normal water to thin them.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    In that case, yeah, prepare a mix of 1:20 dishsoap:water and use this mix for the first layer of a given colour. This will be your basic thinner.

I'd say roughly 2:1 to 1:1 of paint:thinner is a good start, though the new citadel colors may behave a bit different than what I remember, so experiment. If your paint is pooling in crevices, that means it's a bit too thin - try to keep just a bit above that threshold.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I dunno about sword arm guy. He looks a bit too animated, like an actual zombie instead of a grisly trophy. That might be what you're going for though.
    Also I think they are both very fantasy-ish. Some wires or bionic bits or guardsmen stuff would probably look good.

In general though I really like it so far!

I had some similar concerns when I was first putting it together, but I figured I could dismiss the 'animated' look to the fact that they put these guys on here while they are still alive and they slowly decay and die.

Hopefully they won't stand out too much as fantasy parts when the army is all together, this will be the only vehicle done up like this. My raiders will have the normal ram bits.

I will see about going back and adding some wires/tubes though. That is a good idea.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If you just clip that raised sword arm off they'd probably look fine to be honest, corpse on the right (raider's left) is suitable limp looking, corpse on the left looks like it still wants to pick a fight.

It's a neat conversion though, looks good.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to take a look to see if there are any other limp arms I can use, if not I may just cut it off at the elbow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Edit:

So I spent a little more time on this. I draped the sword arm over the spike he is sitting on which definitely makes him look more lifeless. It will be tricky to add cabling since it's all glued together, but I managed to add two small tubes to help fill it out a little.

CgSFbiR.png?2

I also detailed the decking a little, adding a little brazier where the sail should go and few resin body parts on the floor.
    Ta8xPSL.png?2

Once I add a front gunner this should be it for the Ravager. Now onto the Raiders for my Grotesquerie!

oNbpiml.png?2

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.