As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beggining ink painting

The FootThe Foot Registered User new member
edited April 2015 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone, I have recently begun painting using acrylic inks and I was just looking for critiques, advice, or any other information you guys can give me.
8yv4brqwh31p.jpg
m7exjkfe579u.jpg
51ld1rvyt3ln.jpg

The Foot on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey there, Welcome.

You'll need to be more specific about what your goals are. Are these literally your first paintings? What sort of art are you interested in doing? How old are you, are you in school?

It looks like these are the very first steps you are taking towards becoming an artist, if that's true, congratulations! Everyone starts somewhere. If you are trying to get serious about drawing, you are going to want to start with the very basics of learning how to draw and paint from observations. Its tough work, but if you start with your fundamentals you can go far pretty quickly. If you are committed, we can definitely give you some direction on how to start and where to go.

• Options
    The FootThe Foot Registered User new member
    Yeah, some background would be nice. I'm 29 and I'm going to start a program centered around animation (CS based programs) in the fall. My painting is more of a hobby that I do for myself and if I sell things that's fine too. I have been working on my drawing as well, graphite and digital. I'm still figuring out the digital side. I've been taking art classes centered around drawing and I wanted to hit painting as well.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you are posting in the AC, people are going to give you serious advice and recommend exercises that are going to be in line with life drawing, still life painting, and other such practices. Is that the sort of critique you are looking for? I'm asking because the work posted above is pretty rudimentary and would be difficult to critique individually, any advice you stand to get would be pushing you to do fairly academic work to start building your foundation and technical skills. This is generally not the work people consider as fun, but its needed so you can start actually translating visual concepts to paper.

If you are looking to start a program for animation I assume you are ready to lock down and get some direction, but I cant really tell from the "I'm doing this for myself." I would take a look around the AC to get some ideas of the kinds of advice and critiques we usually dole out, and see if the forum is right for you.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    As you doing any pre-setup on these landscapes (pencils, massing, vanishing points, etc) or just going right in?