As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone else have trouble connecting to Multiplayer servers? Mine just sits on "Connecting..." for ages.

Playing vs bots is fun though, but they can only do so much.

Seguer on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Scorpion Boost + Ejection is the best thing since sliced bread. Can't wait till I can get a buddy to fly over the exploding target and grab me while I fly in the air on my hoverboard.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Scorpion Boost + Ejection is the best thing since sliced bread. Can't wait till I can get a buddy to fly over the exploding target and grab me while I fly in the air on my hoverboard.

I haven't tried the grapple a vehicle while on hoverboard thing. Can you grapple a raptor? And you'll fly with it hanging on to the grapple? A la Kit Cloudkicker?

xraydog on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    xraydog wrote: »

I haven't tried the grapple a vehicle while on hoverboard thing. Can you grapple a raptor? And you'll fly with it hanging on to the grapple? A la Kit Cloudkicker?
    Awesome childhood reference!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    xraydog wrote: »

Yes you can!

bloodyroarxx on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seguer wrote: »
    Does anyone else have trouble connecting to Multiplayer servers? Mine just sits on "Connecting..." for ages.

Playing vs bots is fun though, but they can only do so much.

That's because people's servers suck. BloodyRoarxx has his set up and it was at zero to minimal lag with all of us hopping around. So damn awesome! I have been waiting for this game for ages, and here it is, and I have to start as a n00bz0rs. Oh well. Something tells me with playing with your guys till the launch, we all ought to be pretty seasoned for combat. ^^

Lucky Cynic on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think this game is overheating my CPU or my GPU or both. Although according to my Nvidia panel my 8800GTS was around 65C, but accroding to Speedfan my cores were at like 80C. How reliable is Speedfan? It does seem that after playing for awhile the graphics can get some weird things going on with the shaders, but I can't tell if it's just the fact that it's in beta or if my machine is overheating.

Maybe I'll try dusting it out and turning up the fans. The GPU did feel wicked hot after we got done playing on Bloodyroar's machine, and it kind of crashed when I shut it down, but when I restarted the Nvidia panel said it was at 62C. I don't know I hope this game doesn't cook my computer.

Drool on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok my problem is gone, it's that stupid slider mentioned above. Now the only issue I have is it won't save my vid settings.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    I think this game is overheating my CPU or my GPU or both. Although according to my Nvidia panel my 8800GTS was around 65C, but accroding to Speedfan my cores were at like 80C. How reliable is Speedfan? It does seem that after playing for awhile the graphics can get some weird things going on with the shaders, but I can't tell if it's just the fact that it's in beta or if my machine is overheating.

Maybe I'll try dusting it out and turning up the fans. The GPU did feel wicked hot after we got done playing on Bloodyroar's machine, and it kind of crashed when I shut it down, but when I restarted the Nvidia panel said it was at 62C. I don't know I hope this game doesn't cook my computer.

I'd say try and turn down some options. Either in game or from the nvidia panel try and cut up some AA or maybe lower the resolution? Just play with it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want to play this, but for some odd reason everything on the screen is rendered blocky. Pixelated. Not large pixelation, but enough that everything is out of focus and hard to distinguish things at a difference. No it's not the motion blur or postprocessing, I turned them off to be double sure. I also have the 163.75 drivers which are .04 better than the 163.01's for my card.

Has anyone found out the cause or a fix, since no one on the Demo forum has an answer yet?

It's most likely the "screen size" option in UT3 that does it. See if it's at less than 100%. I'm guessing the point of this option is to allow people with TFT screens to run the game at lower than native resolution without making the image look blurry.

The Nvidia nTune monitor says my GPU is at 84 degrees C under load. Seems like a lot, but googling around a bit it seems it's normal for these cards with stock cooling and it can deal with it. Obviously it shouldn't be crashing though.

Firebrand on
    edited October 2007
    bloodyroarxx's server is now up. To join, send that very name a friend request and then go under your friends list and do follow.

Lucky Cynic on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Know what's fun? Taking a scorpion, popping the blades out, turboing it into the blue base killing 3 guys and then having it hit a tank and blowing it up, all from the safety of the ejector seat.

BlueDestiny on
    edited October 2007
    Haha...

Man, what a awesome round of gaming guys. This was some of the best shooting shit I've ever had.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    Know what's fun? Taking a scorpion, popping the blades out, turboing it into the blue base killing 3 guys and then having it hit a tank and blowing it up, all from the safety of the ejector seat.

Ejector seat? How the fuck do you eject? Do all the vehicles have this?

Drool on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    I won't be buying this, I think. It really is UT2k4 with better graphics, a new but not particularly revolutionary gun and hoverboards, which are pretty damn cool. And while weapon models are fucktastically awesome (charge up the Biogun if you want to see what I mean), player models look pretty silly to me.

Pound for pound, I think TF2 is the better multiplayer FPS, despite how cool the vehicles of UT3 are.
    If you are ever thinking about getting up on Unreal 2k4, make sure you check out the Ballsitic Weapons mod. Personally, I think Epic should have hired that team to redesign all of their weapons for the sequel, but maybe they will port their mod over.

Oh my yes. That mod is fun as hell. Horribly imbalanced though
    Well, all the weapons are ridiculously overpowered, but I can't think of one weapon that makes the other weapons useless in comparison.

UT3, on the other hand, heavily favors the flak for close range, the rocket launcher for mid range, and the sniper rifle for long range. The mini gun and the biogun feel weak, and the link gun and shock rifle are usually replaced by one of the first three I mentioned when the opportunity arises. The enforcer and the hammer are last ditch weapons at best.

FreddyD on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Ejector seat? How the fuck do you eject? Do all the vehicles have this?
    Hit E while boosting! You go shooting way up in the sky while your Scorpion missiles towards the other team.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I won't be buying this, I think. It really is UT2k4 with better graphics, a new but not particularly revolutionary gun and hoverboards, which are pretty damn cool. And while weapon models are fucktastically awesome (charge up the Biogun if you want to see what I mean), player models look pretty silly to me.

Pound for pound, I think TF2 is the better multiplayer FPS, despite how cool the vehicles of UT3 are.
    If you are ever thinking about getting up on Unreal 2k4, make sure you check out the Ballsitic Weapons mod. Personally, I think Epic should have hired that team to redesign all of their weapons for the sequel, but maybe they will port their mod over.

Well, all the weapons are ridiculously overpowered, but I can't think of one weapon that makes the other weapons useless in comparison.

UT3, on the other hand, heavily favors the flak for close range, the rocket launcher for mid range, and the sniper rifle for long range. The mini gun and the biogun feel weak, and the link gun and shock rifle are usually replaced by one of the first three I mentioned when the opportunity arises. The enforcer and the hammer are last ditch weapons at best.

The bio gun has been bad in all games, but on this one it actually does some damage... 5-6 goos and they are dead.

urahonky on
    edited October 2007
    Wow... So very long ago. I think this dude has been BSing about a lot of stuff though...

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/746/746632/vids_3.html

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    I've always loved the Bio Gun, and the minigun is fine. It's secondary fire can do some serious damage if your a good shot. I'm actually surprised at how much strategy is involved in Vehicle CTF. You really have to know what's going on and when to use your hoverboard and when to get off of it.

Also a competent Manta driver + a hoverboarder is almost always a guaranteed cap, unless the other team is on the ball.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    For the Minigun, I tend to just spray down areas as best I can but use the secondary for tank and slower moving targets to really tear at them. It doesn't do immense damage and I think the ammo runs out a bit quick, but it is a great weapon and I think it is well balanced.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No, there are quite plenty, especially in 2.0. The Rail Gun makes the sniper completely obsolete, the .50 caliber pistol destroys all other pistols, the M290 dominates the other shotguns, the Skrith pistol is useless, the light machine gun >> the .50 cal machine gun, etc. Plus, dual-wielding lets you auto-target your left-hand gun, presumably so you can shoot two different things at once. Of course, you can use this to simply auto-aim half your shots against one person. It's pretty bad.

EDIT: Okay we're getting off-topic. This thread is for the UT3 demo, not a fun yet imbalanced UT2k4 mod.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only mode which had servers I could actually connect to was DM, and maybe it's because I've not played any single player DM games since jedi knight, but I didn't find it very fun. Sure the graphics are nice, and actually run suppringly well. But the gameplay just seemed too random. I basically only had time to run the weapon you spawn next to and either exchange shots at long range (even with the chaingun), or end up at close range and getting slaughered in seconds. Maybe the other gametypes are better, and maybe all my playtime as medics and engineers completely ruined my twitch skills.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's definitely a twitch heavy game that favors map knowledge. I think it's widely agreed that it's best to establish a circuit on a map that will take you past all the important weapons and armor and powerups on a map, and to follow that.

For example, on the one with the dark stalker I do sort of a figure 8 that gets me the rocket launcher, the shield belt, the chestplate, the sniper rifle, the invisibility, the minigun and whichever smaller piece of armor is near the shock rifle. Once you're on the route and you start getting huge disparities in terms of health and weaponry over everyone it's not too difficult to maintain a solid lead.

I haven't gotten a very good route on shangri-la yet since I haven't played it as much. I have a pretty basic thing I do when I spawn in the vehicle ctf map, but it's pretty obvious. The vehicle ctf mode is fun, but it can be extremely difficult to return the flag when people are respawning instantly. I understand why they did it, it keeps the action levels up and everything more exciting, but it's still sort of irritating after playing so much tf2.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I fucking hate G4.

Urian on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, that sounds pretty much like how DM is. It's that brand of old-school and in-your-face twitch-fest that's become passé over the years. I enjoy that sort of thing, but I find that my reflexes are not what they used to be and I don't have the time to re-develop them.

I like some of the little touches though. Bringing back the Enforcers from 99 is neat, and the Tarydium Stinger way back from the original Unreal made me smile (even though it's functionally just a reskinned minigun with a different alt-fire). I just noticed the lack of adrenaline in favor of more traditional pickups, too. I should really hop in to a live VCTF game, though. Grappling on the back of a Manta while on a hoverboard carrying the flag sounds fun.

Zxerol on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So yeah I connected to a DM server, but attempting to connect to any Vehicle-CTF still results in permanent "Connecting..."

Seguer on
  • ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Buying this, no question. Getting an Unreal SDK for $50, $60 is a steal at 4x the price.

ihd on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait, what's the new gun?

Urian on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game runs far better than it has any right to considering how amazing it looks.

-SPI- on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't get it to run, just crashes after I boot it, any ideas?

LewieP on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    The only mode which had servers I could actually connect to was DM, and maybe it's because I've not played any single player DM games since jedi knight, but I didn't find it very fun. Sure the graphics are nice, and actually run suppringly well. But the gameplay just seemed too random. I basically only had time to run the weapon you spawn next to and either exchange shots at long range (even with the chaingun), or end up at close range and getting slaughered in seconds. Maybe the other gametypes are better, and maybe all my playtime as medics and engineers completely ruined my twitch skills.

Most of the servers I found online were set to 24 players. I think the maps the game comes with are designed for 6-10 players, so that's why it feels a little too random at the moment.

Rook on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah deathmatch is a lot better with 6-10 players, you can get away with a few more in a team deathmatch game, but these maps are pretty small.

The problem with getting into games is that most of them are hosted on some dudes crappy machine and he doesn't have any bandwidth. So they are laggy and often you can't even get into them. It's kind of sad Epic or Gamespy didn't put a few dedicated servers up. I'm sure the community will provide a few eventually, but it's going to turn some people off from the game.

I did get into a live VCTF server, it was fun until it started to lag out. Just about everyone on it was a noob so I scored a shutout for my team with 5 caps in a row. 3 of which were assisted by the only other non noob in the game driving a manta.

Drool on
  • nopoastingnopoasting __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Welp, it looks like Gears of War and plays like Halo.
    GG Epic, you've ruined your own series.

Oh, and I'm sure that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's a cross-release on a console.

nopoasting on
    edited October 2007
    nopoasting wrote: »
    Welp, it looks like Gears of War and plays like Halo.
    GG Epic, you've ruined your own series.

Oh, and I'm sure that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's a cross-release on a console.

Plays like Halo?

bwuh?

I must have missed the recharging shields and two-weapon limit.

BlueDestiny on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Plays like Halo? Buh?

edit: haha get beat'd

Zxerol on
    edited October 2007
    I.E. it's slow and clunky and everything has been dumbed down with the idea of a gamepad in mind.

Oh, and the headshot hitbox is XBOX HUGE, as in you can aim at the wall and still get a headshot. Torso shots are nearly impossible.

nopoasting on
    edited October 2007
    I.E. it's slow and clunky and everything has been dumbed down with the idea of a gamepad in mind.

Ever played UT99?

Yeah. It plays like that.

BlueDestiny on
    edited October 2007
    You're a fucking idiot. It plays nothing like Halo. It's much faster paced. Epic designed it for the PC first, it feels exactly like a UT game should feel. Fast crazy and fun.

edit: Also I'm tired of people dogging it because it, "looks like Gears of War." Gear is a beautiful game, it's definitely a grittier version of the UT universe, but there's a war on so I suppose it's warranted. The art style is different, but the game still looks amazing, and they kept the UT feel.

Drool on
    edited October 2007

Ever played UT99?

Yeah. It plays like that.

You obviously haven't.

nopoasting on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Oh, and the headshot hitbox is XBOX HUGE, as in you can aim at the wall and still get a headshot. Torso shots are nearly impossible.

Say it ain't so! Where else can I turn for twitch FPS gaming?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png