As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Captain American Revolution

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    An interesting image, a concept costume Ross did for Spider-Man's first movie.
    rossmovie.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That is a very curious choice of placement for the iconic colors. I did not realize he tried using it on someone before.

I wonder what his fasination with it is.

PantheraOnca on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think he's a bit obsessed with making superhero designs translate to real life, and black's basically the only color that someone can wear in skintight spandex and not look like a (total) fruitcake.

Munch on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I will be so mad if this is Steve Rogers

I mean I'm 99% certain this is Bucky or something

But there is still one percent unaccounted for

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I think he's a bit obsessed with making superhero designs translate to real life, and black's basically the only color that someone can wear in skintight spandex and not look like a (total) fruitcake.

I think the recent generation of superhero movies have done a really good job of making good real-life material costumes, and there's no spandex to be seen there.

Nevermind stuff like Batman not being able to move his neck, or the Spider-Man mask also being a helmet.

Scooter on
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    KVW wrote: »

250pxcitizensteelio8.jpg

Shiny suit is shiny.

Haha look at his wee boner!

Killjoy on
    edited October 2007
    yeah, i was going to let that slide, but since you brought it up, there's an awful lot of man-junk going on with his pieces.

i dunno about some of these guys, but i would want a cup on under any suit just in case.

PantheraOnca on
    edited October 2007
    In that one it looks like everything is armored except the crotch.

Scooter on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    In that one it looks like everything is armored except the crotch.

Considering the image, if it was armored, he would be screaming in pain right now.

Incenjucar on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You know, considering how much cleavage there is in female costumes, it's really not a big deal to see some realistic bulge on Alex Ross's guys.

Lux on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not only is that guy in spandex pants but he's clearly going commando as well. Maybe that would be an advantage when bringing in bad guys who are homophobic.

"Come along with me to the station quietly or else I grapple you in public with only a thin layer of spandex between you and my "little friend." If you choose to fight everyone will assume your super power is gayness since you clearly wanna rub up against my member."

It's the end of comic book fights as we know it.

Caveman Paws on
    edited October 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    You know, considering how much cleavage there is in female costumes, it's really not a big deal to see some realistic bulge on Alex Ross's guys.

while i can understand your reasoning, there are a few points of contrast.

is bulge as interesting to females as cleavage is to males?
    how often is camel toe depicted?
    men are frequently drawn without shirts, women much much less frequently so.

PantheraOnca on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    as a serious cyclist, the "bulge" is realistic, at least...
    I mean okay, I hate the guy's designs, they certainly are freaking boring.

But, if you wear undies under your spandex, the rubbing/friction (not just of riding, but even normal usage--mind you, I NEVER wear my riding clothes if I'm doing anything but riding...) will rip your inner thighs up. Any serious (re: competitive) cyclist will confirm that... you never ever do anything but go commando.

but, hey, we usually hand-wash our clothes after every ride, so it's not like they're dirty or anything.

streever on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007

while i can understand your reasoning, there are a few points of contrast.

is bulge as interesting to females as cleavage is to males?
    how often is camel toe depicted?
    men are frequently drawn without shirts, women much much less frequently so.

1) yes. and some guys like guys, too!
    2) depends on the artist, but it doesn't make sense to have a flat crotch drawn.
    3) yeah, women just have a piece of cloth covering their nipples so they can get past the censors

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PantheraOnca, you know very well that there is a huge difference between the naked torso of a man and the naked torso of a woman.

Lux on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PantheraOnca, you know very well that there is a huge difference between the naked torso of a man and the naked torso of a woman.

A "huge" difference? Only if they're D or above.

DarkPrimus on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    clearly PantheraOnca has never seen one of Keith's "Captain Marvel's bulge" threads

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There's not been on in a while.

hint hint

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited October 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

hint hint

What have i done!??!?!

with regards to the difference between male and female torsos: women (and gay men keith, gosh!) like men with big (or at least well defined) pectorals, men like women with big breasts.

PantheraOnca on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007

hint hint

What have i done!??!?!

with regards to the difference between male and female torsos: women (and gay men keith, gosh!) like men with big (or at least well defined) pectorals, men like women with big breasts.

generalizations on both accounts

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »

hint hint

What have i done!??!?!

generalizations on both accounts

yes.

PantheraOnca on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cap just doesn't look right holding a gun.
    capsgunska1.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, it's not like this is without precedent.

CAPA031_int-5.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
    edited October 2007
    There was actually an article on this in today's Washington Post. They really emphasized the gun, and all I could think was, great, here comes a "stop violence in comic books" campaign.

Scooter on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's pretty dumb. I mean, he was in WW2. You're saying he went the whole war without firing a gun? He's got all this military training and shit. Personally, I think the gun is a cool little addition.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I do find Cap, outside of an actual war, using a gun rather distasteful.

But then this isn't Steve Rogers so I'll see how it plays out.

Accualt on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd say the gun would be fine, except it makes close to zero tactical sense. He doesn't need a gun when he's fighting a supervillain that is bullet-proof. He already has his vibranium shield that does its kinetic energy absorption magic (in addition to being a fucking chunk of metal with a nice edge) and knocks people the fuck out. That covers assault and defense. The gun covers nothing, unless that's not the real shield, in which case it would make sense if he's fighting street level crime or something.

Mai-Kero on
    edited October 2007
    Hey! Get this real world logic out of my comics thread!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm almost positive that it's a special gun.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    A gun that shoots swords, perhaps?

wwtMask on
    edited October 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

It shoots friend requests. The new Captain America is all about non-violent conflict resolution and, above all, social networking.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    So uh

based on Captain America: The Chosen
    How do we know that the new Captain isn't just James Newman?

Mai-Kero on
    edited October 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So uh

Apparently that's out of continuity.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

It shoots friend requests. The new Captain America is all about non-violent conflict resolution and, above all, social networking.

Secondary fire is clips from Youtube, and the melee attack actually beats you over the head with his emo livejournal poetry.

wwtMask on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    sounds like the gun al gore made.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So uh

Apparently that's out of continuity.

Oh.

Because that would have been a pretty obvious way to set it up.

Mai-Kero on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I just saw the synopsis for Chosen #6 and thought, ok it's not Buck. I also noticed Kevin Rose (or someone who looks almost exactly like him) is on the cover.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Is it still possible it's US Agent?

Because I would hate them forever if it was.

Scooter on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guys, it's Ben Reilly. Thanks to marketing nutjobs not wanting to screw up Spider-Man's Brand Recognition with SM3 and everything, all plans to bring Ben back (via Mephisto and Ghost Rider) were put on hold... until Brubaker decided to step in and adpot the character and the Mephisto plotline. The actual Cap book will focus on how a new 'super-soldier' is recieved by friends and foes alike, while the Mephisto storyline will be moved into Mighty Avengers.

Sounds like a terrible hodepodge of ideas, but... it's Brubaker... and we trust Brubaker, right?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I could see it from the viewpoint of Peter cracking on yet another one of Ben's silly looking costumes all the time, but that's about it.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png