As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The registration servers are still down. It seems like some things never change. I remember this happening with the original PSO, too.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    To the people playing right now, I was browsing on psupedia.org, and I found out that there are missions with level 10+ monsters on Parum. No idea how to get there though...

Well...well...shit. Thanks, I'll see if there's a way :)

EDIT: If you fly to Niedfskjfskjfwhatever first, you can fly to Parum from there.

piL on
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ok, I LOVED PSO 1+2 on Gamecube and would absolutely love to get this. I was just about to buy it today, but I had to find something out first...

is this game mutliplayer offline? my buddies and I played ALOT of PSO offline together (in the style of a co-op diablo type of way). That's what made it so fun for us. I wanna do that again. Is that possible in this one? Like, get 2+ people in the Extra Mode?

DarkSymphony on
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    No, there is no offline multiplayer, which is a shame since most people who owned it for the GameCube played it that way.

SilentCoconut on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Registration page is back up.

JAEF on
  • MavricMavric Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JAEF wrote:

stop lying to me.

Mavric on
    つまらない~。。。
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    piL and I are rocking it in a mission on Nuediaz. Mission name is Black Heart if anyone who has the PS2/PC version wants to jump in.

Black_Heart on
    edited October 2006
    Mavric wrote:
    JAEF wrote:

stop lying to me.
    It's on and off for me. I got as far as billing address.

Edit: Bah, guess it's down again. At least I figured out I already had a sega account.

JAEF on
  • StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    piL and I are rocking it in a mission on Nuediaz. Mission name is Black Heart if anyone who has the PS2/PC version wants to jump in.

what universe?

StriderEdge on
    edited October 2006

what universe?

JAEF on
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm having fun being poor. If you see me in a lobby, I'll trade you partner cards.

Ichnob on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Voth wrote:
    The registration servers are still down. It seems like some things never change. I remember this happening with the original PSO, too.

Been trying on and off for hours. I only ever got as far as registrating an account with Sega Billing but I still can't touch subscription at all. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow or something.

I bought a Logictech Dual pad for this. If you don't know what it is, just imagine the best rip off ever made for a PS2 controler. My main complaint is that the D-pad (which you use to move around) is very loose and makes controling the game almost difficult. I'm seriously thinking about returning it tomorrow. Other than that, it works fine with the rest. I just wish I could be using my analog sticks a bit more instead.

The single player portion is strictly for the RPG anime enthusiast and then some. I say this in the most polite way because I would fear anyone who would actually like it, even remotely. It's donkey shit really. Horrible voice acting and the cenario made me look around for a dull knife. I instantly told myself I made a grave mistake in buying this game, then I remembered I was only here for the online stuff... which I can't play.

Graphics and general design look nice, but it screams to be played on a console. I've already downloaded a patch for it so I wonder how the non-hdd PS2 handle this.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited October 2006
    Since I have a PS2 controller I'll probably just buy the Controller :arrow: USB converter. Do they sell those at Gamestop or Circuit City perhaps? Or will I have to find one online.

JAEF on
    edited October 2006
    Aww... I got DCed and now the auth servers are down. That means I'll probably sleep tonight :(

StriderEdge on
    edited October 2006
    Looks like the server just went down. Right at the boss too. A pity. Anyway, I guess I'll pick it up some more tomarrow. We should acquire some sort of list of the people playing. Hopefully the OP agrees?

piL on
    edited October 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    Since I have a PS2 controller I'll probably just buy the Controller :arrow: USB converter. Do they sell those at Gamestop or Circuit City perhaps? Or will I have to find one online.

They are pretty easy to find online. I bought one years ago for FFXI.

I can't seem the find the link where I bought it, but its not hard to find them online. I know Radio Shack sold them, if that franchise even still exists.

and dammit, I think the servers went down. piL and I were fighting the dragon, got our asses stomped so we went back to town to get more party members and then the game disconnected and I can't get back in, lol.

Hopefully Sega will get their shit together so you guys can get online.

Black_Heart on
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:
    Looks like the server just went down. Right at the boss too. A pity. Anyway, I guess I'll pick it up some more tomarrow. We should acquire some sort of list of the people playing. Hopefully the OP agrees?

Yeah, I'll compile a list and post it.

Black_Heart on
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:

Thanks much. I guess now this is a [game on], huh? :)

I'm going to be happy when we can have about six or so people that we can hop in vent with and we know what we're doing. One major difference is that how well you do affects your award, so if noone dies and you kill everything, you get more money and more mission points than if you get 30 deaths, and so its important to pace yourself, do missions you know you can do (But the best mission you know you can do), and try to survive. Monomates are expensive. Since everyone can cast, I suggest that, when you get resta and can afford a wand, you get a heal wand to switch over to. I don't know if that will heal enough for a non caster, however. I will say that if you find yourself low in a group I'm in, try to get near me and not get hit, and I'll probably heal you :)

piL on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have the PS2 version so you guys can count me in. I plan to be a Newman when I can finally get online so I'll be sure to help with the healing. SEGA needs to get their asses in gear though and get that billing page up and working for longer than 2 minutes.

Gilder on
  • Sub StandardSub Standard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lets have some in game shots.

Sub Standard on
    Panda1.jpg
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:
    piL wrote:

Thanks much. I guess now this is a [game on], huh? :)

I'm going to be happy when we can have about six or so people that we can hop in vent with and we know what we're doing. One major difference is that how well you do affects your award, so if noone dies and you kill everything, you get more money and more mission points than if you get 30 deaths, and so its important to pace yourself, do missions you know you can do (But the best mission you know you can do), and try to survive. Monomates are expensive. Since everyone can cast, I suggest that, when you get resta and can afford a wand, you get a heal wand to switch over to. I don't know if that will heal enough for a non caster, however. I will say that if you find yourself low in a group I'm in, try to get near me and not get hit, and I'll probably heal you :)

As a cast using spells probably won't work that well... but i'll give the healing stick a try. I enjoy my fire shotgun and ice pistols. I ran the Lvl 20 Guardian Colony mission solo (as a lvl 9) by running behing enemies and setting them on fire. Oh and also... I hate the sandworms.

StriderEdge on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited October 2006
    I bought a new graphics card the other day and it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. Once it does, I will probably buy PSU for PC and switch to that. While the PS2 version runs very smoothly and has very small load times, it suffers lag/slow-down when there are a lot of characters and monsters on-screen. Especially in high particle areas like Nuediaz with all the trees around.

I'll be monitoring this thread while I play, so if any of you guys get in the game and need our partner cards, just post here and I will try to meet up with you.

Black_Heart on
    edited October 2006
    As a cast using spells probably won't work that well... but i'll give the healing stick a try. I enjoy my fire shotgun and ice pistols. I ran the Lvl 20 Guardian Colony mission solo (as a lvl 9) by running behing enemies and setting them on fire. Oh and also... I hate the sandworms.

Whats your character's name Strider?

Black_Heart on
    edited October 2006

Whats your character's name Strider?

Ciel.

StriderEdge on
    edited October 2006
    Well I'm dicking around in single player since the reg site isn't up long enough to get anything done. So far the UI looks a shitload better than Blue Burst, along with the graphics (even on low settings.)

Game looks really enjoyable and I should be able to play online with you guys tomorrow after work. Hopefully after I pick up a converter for my PS2 controller. This game was really meant for it.

JAEF on
    edited October 2006
    Lets have some in game shots.

I meant to take more pics, but then I forgot. Sorry :(

Here's what I did take, however. It might interest you a bit, and I'll take some more tomarrow.

Psu%202006-10-25%2017-27-31-06.jpg
    Psu%202006-10-25%2021-58-03-90.jpg

piL on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I really have to say, that online had better be a metric fuckton better than offline mode...Especially if the registration site is down and has been a good part of the day

omega71 on
    edited October 2006
    omega71 wrote:
    I really have to say, that online had better be a metric fuckton better than offline mode...Especially if the registration site is down and has been a good part of the day
    Offline mode is some kind of retarded Final Fantasy moviefest for the first 20 minutes. I don't think they actually expected anyone to play it.

JAEF on
    edited October 2006
    omega71 wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty un-impressed with the offline story mode. I love anime, but christ.. I mean.. I'll still play it, because I love corny japanese RPGs.

I would have to say the online is a lot better. Its pretty fluid and immersive compared to the PSO's. You start off in your room, then can go into the city and have access to all the shops, dressing rooms, etc, go into a mission, then into a "rest area" and from there do an even more difficult advanced mission which usually has a boss at the end.

The gameplay can get pretty intense with a lot of people running around and smashing enemies. I really enjoy it, but then again I'm a big fan of the PSO style of gameplay where you hack and slash anything that pops up in your face.

Black_Heart on
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ok well, with the knowledge of there being NO MULTIPLAYER OFFLINE......I really wanna know

would it be worth it if I were to play the game offline only? I have the ability to hook up but I just simply won't pay $10 a month for it. I did that with EQ for 4 years and no more.

edit: I'm more or less asking if it would be ANY fun at all to play extra mode single player and/or play the actual RPG part?

DarkSymphony on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    omega71 wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty un-impressed with the offline story mode. I love anime, but christ.. I mean.. I'll still play it, because I love corny japanese RPGs.

I would have to say the online is a lot better. Its pretty fluid and immersive compared to the PSO's. You start off in your room, then can go into the city and have access to all the shops, dressing rooms, etc, go into a mission, then into a "rest area" and from there do an even more difficult advanced mission which usually has a boss at the end.

The gameplay can get pretty intense with a lot of people running around and smashing enemies. I really enjoy it, but then again I'm a big fan of the PSO style of gameplay where you hack and slash anything that pops up in your face.

Agreed, that is why I played PSO in the first place for almost 3 years..on all three systems...I loved the hack and slash, and little storyline, and the setting was incredible...

omega71 on
    edited October 2006
    omega71 wrote:
    Agreed, that is why I played PSO in the first place for almost 3 years..on all three systems...I loved the hack and slash, and little storyline, and the setting was incredible...

Yeah, I would have to say the graphics, setting, world, environments, bosses, music, mechanics, are all a step-up from PSO.

The music is a lot more "techno" and less orchestral and "classic" than PSO's. I like the soundtrack a lot more.

The good part is, I already really enjoy it and most of the features aren't even unlocked yet. Like I don't think SUV Weapons, Nanoblasts, or Vehicles have been unlocked for the online servers yet. Then there is the last planet, Moatob, the japanese just got access to that planet a few weeks ago I think.

Black_Heart on
    edited October 2006
    ok well, with the knowledge of there being NO MULTIPLAYER OFFLINE......I really wanna know

would it be worth it if I were to play the game offline only? I have the ability to hook up but I just simply won't pay $10 a month for it. I did that with EQ for 4 years and no more.

edit: I'm more or less asking if it would be ANY fun at all to play extra mode single player and/or play the actual RPG part?

I would assume no. Unless you liked playing PSO without any other people. Then yes.

piL on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The billing site is almost up

I can get as far as the address, and then it begins to time out

Same

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited October 2006
    Also:

Dear SEGA,

If you're going to half-ass the single player, don't even bother; noone cares.

Lovingly yours,
    piL

piL on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Memories of sitting in my friend's room with two Dreamcasts and two TVs set up, playing Phantasy Star Online together, is starting to make me want PSU, but I'm not playing this without my fiance. One copy cannot be used for two online accounts, correct? Also, I've heard that you have to actually purchase a month of online time before you get to use any of your free trial time? Is that true?

The Sneak! on
    edited October 2006
    The Sneak! wrote:
    Memories of sitting in my friend's room with two Dreamcasts and two TVs set up, playing Phantasy Star Online together, is starting to make me want PSU, but I'm not playing this without my fiance. One copy cannot be used for two online accounts, correct? Also, I've heard that you have to actually purchase a month of online time before you get to use any of your free trial time? Is that true?

i believe you can use the same disc, since there is no serial key

omega71 on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    korodullin wrote:
    The Sneak! wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    A friend of mine in the UK just got the US version imported in.

She can't play online due to SEGA not accepting credit cards outside North America for the NA version.

She's not very happy at all, and neither are her friends who also imported. :(

There has to be a way around it. If I was able to play the Final Fantasy XI import, then dammit, they should be able to play their US versions of PSU.
    Doesn't look like it. What's odd is that Europe will be playing on all of the same servers as North America is, but they're not accepting any European (or at least UK) credit cards. The only way I could possibly see her and her friends getting around it is if they somehow got ahold of American credit cards.

Supposedly they're selling game cards for it, though I've never seen them. Also, if you feel like going that extra mile for em, they could always paypal you the cash and have you pick up one of those Visa gift cards. They work like normal credit cards. I think there are online services that do the same thing and are rechargeable online. Not sure where though.

Aoi on