As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade] Xenoblade 2 coming to the Nintendo Switch in late 2017

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited June 2017 in Games and Technology
Hunt indigens with fellow PAers! Add your info here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10F2Ebg3eWbKGD7L89g3vKQczRbiu9n5bGMqPaiN5jVo/viewform

and find the full list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_aCBLXqXRCtfpcy7KJ7rENfsq-w8tSA8BRuPl1UBx-g/edit#gid=1978093283&vpid=A2

kNgFCvq.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles X is an upcoming JRPG for the Wii U and a sequel to the popular Xenoblade Chronicles. The game will be released in Japan on April 29th. The rest of the world will get to play it sometime in 2015. Expect further infos on a western release at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

The game takes place in the near future. Two alien races suddenly appear in our solar system and battle it out near the Earth's orbit, with our planet suffering considerable damage from the battle. Humanity can't stand up to both races in direct combat, so the only option is to abandon the planet and search for a new home somewhere in the galaxy. Humanity leaves Earth behind in giant colonization ships, but the two alien races don't give up so easily. One of the ships, the White Whale, makes it through the blockade mostly unscathed, but after a two year-long journey through space, one of the alien races catches up to them and damages the ship, causing it to crash land on an thankfully hospitable planet called Mira. The fact that the ship wasn't completely destroyed is largely thanks to giant mechs called Skells, which humanity developed in order to combat the technically superior aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

The White Wale housed a giant dome holding the city of Neq Los Angeles, where the evacuees have been living for over 2 years now. NLA made it through the crash landing on Mira mostly intact, however several cryo statis pods containing citizens of NLA were scattered all over Mira - and one of them contains you, the player character. This time around, you get to completely customize the main character. Gender, looks, voice, outfit, stats and abilities - everything is up to you. As part of the military organization BLADE, it will be your job to find other scattered survivors, survey this strange new planet, combat the hostile fauna that is threatening NLA and eventually deal with the alien menace that caused humanity to abandon Earth in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2PTVi7fl8

However, you won't have to take on these tasks alone as several party members will help you on your way.

Elma
oLs7CIl.png?1

Class: Commando

A high-ranking officer of BLADE and experienced Skell pilot, Elma is the one who finds your cryo pod and wakes you up.

Lin
Q2uA1aa.png?1

Class: Shield Trooper

Despite being only thirteen years old, she's considered a genius and is a skilled engineer. She's involved with the development and maintenance of Skells.

Doug
7J5Iq0r.png?1

Class: Blast Fencer

Elma's former subordinate on Earth, Doug is also an expert Skell pilot and veteran soldier.

Tatsu
TEKSmvB.png?1

Tatsu, a carefree is somewhat condescending Nopon, encounters the party on their new home planet. He can't actually fight, but supports them nonetheless.

Irina
jbtvdKu.png?1

Class: Assault

Somewhat of a tomboy, Irina, like Doug, is also a former subordinate of Elma.

Gwin
RKBPVLg.png?1

Class:

Another former subordinate of Elma, Gwin joins BLADE to be with Irina, who he's attracted to. He has a strong sense of justice.

Lao
lTpi6sH.png?1

Class:

A team leader of BLADE, Lao comes across as cold at first glance, but is actually very passionate and keen.

L
rKpBoam.png?1

Class:
Skell:

A native of Mira, he is an inventor who trades with the Nopon. Curious but friendly, he is a valuable ally to newly arrived humans.

Van Damme
5ueyTsx.png?1

The commanding officer of BLADE and former chief engineer of the White Whale.

A good way to get to know the game's various systems is Nintendo's five-part Survival Guide series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUK1b_ysTnI&index=1&list=PL2JiZAV5BmDVQrkyFO7-6--bB3on3ZCoN

The following Google doc contains tons of info about the game - arts, quests, characters, skills. Beware of spoilers though:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/edit#gid=0

Also, here's a good summary of the game's multiplayer features:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/3u77rz/xenoblade_x_multiplayer_information_thread/

If you're still not sold, just watch this:

https://gfycat.com/ScaryFickleBarb

If you liked X, why not check out its predecessor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOEkaKrvvhY

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is a port of the Wii JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles and is exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS. Unfortunately, the New 3DS version doesn't have the Japanese voice track, but it gained amiibo support, a collection mode, 3D support and a second screen to clean up the UI. Other than that, the game is more or less the same, so I'm gonna go ahead and copy parts of the previous OP:
General Advice:

0. Talk to everyone. Yes, this is literally the first piece of advice every RPG guide writer has ever written. In this game you'll need to do this to connect people in your town to each other. Named characters go on an affinity chart for every hub city and they have friends and relationships and families and all that. By connecting them all together and doing their menial busywork you'll get quest rewards and a deep feeling of satisfaction...which will lead to even greater rewards. People have a certain shift during the day that they will be out. This is noted on the chart automatically. They also show up as very small blue dots in the mini map. Named characters that do not show up in the minimap are SPECIAL, see if you can figure out how.

1. Red monsters=too high level for you to hit. You should run. Yes, there are youtube videos out there where so and so beats some giant high level beasty via poking or with naked witchcraft. Save that for later.

2. Mechon need to be toppled first if you don't have the Monado. This can be a pain in the early going. My advice? Switch your character to Reyn! He has topple! Now just wait for your other party members to break them first. (Break is pink with two squiggles.)

3. If you quest too much you'll overlevel. The game doesn't penalize you for this, in fact it can only make the game easier. If you find yourself in that situation, just run away from monsters for a bit or cool it on the questing.

4. While I made a big deal about gem crafting you really shouldn't be anal about it until you can get level 4 gems out the deal. You'll probably be a lot saner if you just use what you find/only focus on important gems like strength and ether.

5. Quick Step gems make you move faster. This game is huge, so you might want to make sure your main character has these gems on them.

6. As a followup to three; you need to be about 75 to have a good fight against the final boss. Doing all the quests in the game before then will easily get you into the high 90's. Consider making a seperate save at the final boss (You'll know when this is, the game is very blunt about the final point of no return.) if you don't want the final boss dead in about seven seconds.

7. Some collectables are rarer than others. Just ask here if you want advice on where to get them.

8. You should now that hitting up on your attack bar will give you the option to do a chain attack if your bar is full (the game will explain all this) but what you might not know is that if you hit up again you'll get two new useful commands. If you are not in battle you can throw a rock at the targeted enemy and he'll come towards you. If you are in battle you can put away your weapons and make a dash for it.

Useful Resources:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&gid=11

The bible on this game. Very handy. Has some location and character spoilers.

The Xenoblade Wiki is also an excellent resource.

raxjqSK.png

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And with Xenoblade 3DS out, the clock proves right once again!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I had no idea overleveling was a potential problem in this game and now I'm level 20 and the mobs are level 14-16. Guess I'll skip some fights for awhile.

I hate having to worry about that in a single player game. Wish I could just increase the difficulty level and explore and quest to my heart's content.

Oh well.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Higher level makes enemies easier to avoid.

• Options
    I don't mind the combat so I'm not worried about avoiding enemies.

So apparently this game is (kind of) part of the same franchise as Xenogears and Xenosaga? If I'd known that when it first came out on the Wii I'd have bought one then just to play the game. Xenogears is easily my favorite JRPG and even a tangential association with that game is enough to make me excited.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    But. But you said you'd skip fights.

• Options
    Just so the difficulty is reasonable again.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Reasonable difficulty makes enemies harder to avoid.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Taranis wrote: »
    I had no idea overleveling was a potential problem in this game and now I'm level 20 and the mobs are level 14-16. Guess I'll skip some fights for awhile.

I hate having to worry about that in a single player game. Wish I could just increase the difficulty level and explore and quest to my heart's content.

Oh well.

That's funny because I absolutely love that about the game, and I despise any game with level scaling in it. Ever since Everquest faded off MMO's have been going in the wrong direction with level scaling and instances. players want their actions to have meaning and effect the shared environment. Fucking WoW ruined MMO's for decades and thats why I hate Blizzard instead of just not liking their game. But that's another story.

My point is single player rpgs ape MMORPG's and thats why Xenoblade is so refreshing, it doesnt follow this incredibly stupid trend.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So apparently this game is (kind of) part of the same franchise as Xenogears and Xenosaga? If I'd known that when it first came out on the Wii I'd have bought one then just to play the game. Xenogears is easily my favorite JRPG and even a tangential association with that game is enough to make me excited.

The themes are definitely along the same vein, but don't expect much more than that. You can sort of create a timeline between everything if you squint (and someone did in the previous thread), but Chronicles is very different in execution from the others. It's still a great game, though. One of my favorites all time. Largely better paced than both Gears and the Saga games, too.

I'm really excited for X because, stylistically, at least, it really seems to bridge the gap between Chronicles and the other Xeno games.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Hmm, Xenoblade for New 3ds means it is not playable on a regular 3ds xl?

• Options
    edited April 2015

Oh well.

That's funny because I absolutely love that about the game, and I despise any game with level scaling in it. Ever since Everquest faded off MMO's have been going in the wrong direction with level scaling and instances. players want their actions to have meaning and effect the shared environment. Fucking WoW ruined MMO's for decades and thats why I hate Blizzard instead of just not liking their game. But that's another story.

My point is single player rpgs ape MMORPG's and thats why Xenoblade is so refreshing, it doesnt follow this incredibly stupid trend.

I just want a consistent difficulty and I don't care how that's acheived. Level scaling is one way, and it definitely has its own issues, but it's better than nothing. I outleveled the shit out of Dragon Age Inquisition, but at least I could increase the difficulty to keep the game somewhat challenging.

A lack of level scaling might mean that you can grind a little bit and overcome a poorly balanced boss, but it means that you can't explore and quest without worrying that you've removed all challenge.

My need to explore has also thrown the difficulty off when I stealthed through every city I came across and picked every lock while playing Skyrim the first time. Soon My combat skills were under leveled and I had a hell of a time fighting anyone. Obviously no solution is perfect.

I'm still really enjoying this game and I'm already looking forward to its sequel.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Hmm, Xenoblade for New 3ds means it is not playable on a regular 3ds xl?

That's right.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The OP is rather lacking in that it doesn't have have the Vistas with Pretty Music trailer in it.

So let's fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpNXhzscjQ

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Hate to say it, but I'm not really feeling this 3DS port :P It just seems like a SUPER lazy port - the interface and everything is just so badly retrofit onto the 3DS. And I'm finding it difficult to see stuff - like, enemies and characters blending into the environment too much. And speech bubbles covering like 90% of the screen. All problems I never had with the Wii version :( The whole thing just seems super clunky.

I dunno. At this point I almost want to just put the Wii disk back in and start that over :P But I'm not gonna give up just yet. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I just started this on the 3DS and I have no idea what I'm doing. Mostly just clearing a path of carnage through bunnies and bugs while sprinting around for shiny collectables.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-talks-a-bit-more-about-squads-unions/
    Xenoblade Chronicles X director Koh Kojima has once again taken to the game’s Japanese Twitter account to share additional information. Kojima shared a few more details regarding Squads and Unions.

Here’s the latest:

Two more bits of information relating to the ‘Doll/Network’ video presentation. You can join Squads once you’ve reached a certain point in the game. You can choose from Solo Play and Multi-Play. You can also join Squads that your friends are in.

While online, the Player can change the Union they belong to by paying a set fee (using in-game currency). You can be calculating and switch to a Union with good results or you can help raise the rank of the Union you’re already in.

The Union you belong to affects the contents of the Union Salary, which you receive once per day, (which can include repair tickets [possible that they mean ‘coupons’] for Dolls that have exceed their insurance limit) so it’s a good idea to try various ones out.

Xenoblade Chronicles X launches in Japan on April 29. It should be out later this year in North America and Europe.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I wish they'd give some indication of how prominent the story will be in this. It's always been a pretty major component of the various Xeno games, so it feels weird to me that we've seen so little of it, and it doesn't seem to get talked about. I can't help fearing that the story in this will take a significant backseat to all this other stuff (which looks great, mind you).

I guess we'll know in a couple weeks.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Well, so far we've seen a lot of cutscene footage with no context. I assume that in the case of this game vs the other Xeno games that the story is told in a bit more freeform way. But I also can't help but think that they are just trying to keep from spoiling anything. Every video only talks about game systems (with a slight story teaser) so we don't have everything spoiled before release.

Which is all well and good except it's not coming out in the US at the same time as Japan so the internet will be littered with spoilers.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    There is one thing that bugs the hell out of me in the interface, and that's having to have to click on each quest in the journal in order to open it up in the top screen, and needing to wait like 1-2s for it to fade-in/load. It's a tiny thing, but it's surprisingly disruptive when I want to quickly peruse the quests and see which ones might be pertinent to the area I'm in (e.g. the Monster Quests: I have to manually open each one in order to see if the Bunnit in front of me is the one the quests want me to kill).

Other than that, it's still Xenoblade, and it's still an RPG I've failed to beat more than once in the past due to IRL coming up. I'm hoping that getting to play it during commuting time will help fix that.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    So they announced that you can download some packs to install to cut down on load times. 10 gigs of them. So unless the full digital version is like 20 gigs, the physical version seems almost pointless.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    wat

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So they announced that you can download some packs to install to cut down on load times. 10 gigs of them. So unless the full digital version is like 20 gigs, the physical version seems almost pointless.

The full digital version IS twenty gigs.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well there you go then!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Jeez, X is going to make the WiiU say uncle.

• Options
    It's even bigger than that. I don't think we know the exact size, but the developers have said that they were considering putting the game on two discs because one Wii U disc can hold 25 gigs, which in the end was barely enough.

• Options

• Options
    If that's the case, can you buy Nintendo fun bucks from Gamestop and/or Amazon? I got a shit load of store/gift card credit from both places I'm planning to blow on a Wii U and XBX.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    double post

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Huh, I'm impressed. I didn't know Amazon was actually straight up selling the cards now.

In the not too recent past only resellers were, and it was often at like $40 for the $35 cards (sometimes plus shipping) which totally defeated the purpose. There's been a couple occasions I would have preferred to turn amazon gift card cash into nintendo monies but wasn't going to pay that 'tax'.

Good to know for the future though.

EDIT: for nintendo cards specifically.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    In the not too recent past only resellers were, and it was often at like $40 for the $35 cards (sometimes plus shipping)
    Who would pay shipping on a sequence of 16 letters and numbers?

• Options
    In the not too recent past only resellers were, and it was often at like $40 for the $35 cards (sometimes plus shipping)
    Who would pay shipping on a sequence of 16 letters and numbers?

They are physical cards. They have to get to you somehow.

And I just noticed one of the reviews for the cards say you can't use amazon gift credit to buy them so...:rotate:

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I know, but the actual value comes from the code on the card that you enter into the eShop. The seller could just send the code through e-mail or something. Some online stores actually do this, they don't actually send you the card, they give you the card's code on your receipt.

• Options
    I know, but the actual value comes from the code on the card that you enter into the eShop. The seller could just send the code through e-mail or something. Some online stores actually do this, they don't actually send you the card, they give you the card's code on your receipt.

Sure, Amazon does this too for other companies; you can buy digital cards for PSN or XBL. I imagine they just still aren't on peachy keen terms with Nintendo and that's not an option. Actually I don't think you can buy digital cards for Nintendo at all?

And now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure if you can buy money cards for Sony or MS with amazon gift credit either, I don't think I've ever tried. I do know you can at best buy; I frequently turn my best buy gift cards into steam cash.

But, I'd only want to do this via a company that is otherwise licensed to do so; so they're producing the codes digitally. I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone who was just scratching the codes off and sending you the number. Too much potential for fucking people over.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

But then they can't charge you 5 bucks to send a letter via USPS.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I've received nintendo card codes as scanned physical cards.
    it's kinda funny.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stupid awesome franchise, making be purchase and download Gears for the Vita....

• Options
  • Options
    I imagine this got linked at some point in the past in the Xenoblade thread but it's worth posting again (and again and again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dW8Gk8VvE

• Options
    It's sad that X's music likely won't get even close to that quality. And what happened to Mitsuda? He has three of the best OSTs under his belt, a couple more solid ones (Xenosaga ep. 1, Moonlit Shadow), and seems to have just disappeared, doing the odd song here and there. Is he doing Japan-only stuff?