As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Discounts?

Runningblind0913Runningblind0913 Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in PAX Archive
Well I've already begun planning for next years PaX, trying to inform everyone I know internet or otherwise so I can get a large group together. And while I'm looking for hotels to jam all of these people into, I really don't know how much the hotels discount for PaX. Last year was my first year and I live close by, but a few have already expressed wanting to stay in hotels. So can any other PaXers tell me what the discount from hotels typically is?

Runningblind0913 on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Hotels and their discounts will be announced around February or March most likely. This year the two main hotels, the Sheraton and the Crowne Plaza, went for $175 a night and $150 a night, respectively.

Somebody feel free to correct me if my figures are off, but I'm pretty sure that's the skinny of it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cheapest official hotel this year was the Days Inn @ $105 a night, where I stayed. It was a bit of a walk, but it was an experimental idea they tried to see if people would make a little bit of a walk to get a better deal on the hotel. It was maybe ten minutes to get there, so I really didn't mind walking back and forth.

The hotel situation might be undergoing a revolutionary change next year, which Mike Fehlauer (the dude in the know) has mentioned briefly in this thread, which is also a good place to get an idea of how things went in all the hotels.

b0wser on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Having the hotel next door was really quite nice actually. Cab fare from the train station was inexpensive too. It was a 10$ flat fee because that went outside that guys area. While the cab from seatac is like 30$!

We should book some hotel shuttles next year.

Viscountalpha on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    Hotels and their discounts will be announced around February or March most likely. This year the two main hotels, the Sheraton and the Crowne Plaza, went for $175 a night and $150 a night, respectively.

Somebody feel free to correct me if my figures are off, but I'm pretty sure that's the skinny of it.

There was also $25 a night for valet parking, which I didn't anticipate.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, fortunately for us, they somehow forgot to charge us for one of the two cars at the Crowne Plaza. I wasn't too thrilled at the valet parking situation, as I like to keep things in the car and run down to get them as necessary. With the valet, I would have to run down and get the key from him, and sometimes he wasn't available when I needed the key.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AndymatronAndymatron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, fortunately for us, they somehow forgot to charge us for one of the two cars at the Crowne Plaza. I wasn't too thrilled at the valet parking situation, as I like to keep things in the car and run down to get them as necessary. With the valet, I would have to run down and get the key from him, and sometimes he wasn't available when I needed the key.

Yea the Crowns Valet was less than great. The whole them telling us they lost our car.....yea not happy.

Andymatron on
    Error 404: Pants not found O_o
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    i thought the stated plan for next year was to take ALL of the sheraton

futility on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    futility wrote: »
    i thought the stated plan for next year was to take ALL of the sheraton

As cool as that would be. I don't see that happening. They had two thing of their own going on. One be the 100th Anniversary of UPS and the other, a Toxicology Expo.

Highfire on
    edited October 2007
    I thought the UPS thing was actually taking up some of the parts of the convention center that PAX wasn't.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2007
    yeah, and they were also remodeling... but if upon through arrangements with the pax staff, the entire hotel were booked for the large convention, it would work.

though my god was the food in the hotel overpriced.

futility on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, but there was a QFC a half mile away (open 24 hours) and Pike's Place Market not too far away.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2007
    I don't know what a qfc is. I did well eating at the mall down the street, the starbucks round the corner, and the subway in the cc.

I don't know why I walked a mile to go eat bucca with SE++. It was fun and I don't mind walking, but it was a ways a way.

Also, the closest store that sells hard liquor is deceivingly far away.

futility on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, but there was a QFC a half mile away (open 24 hours) and Pike's Place Market not too far away.

Don't forget the Walgreens three blocks away.

Highfire on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    futility wrote: »
    Also, the closest store that sells hard liquor is deceivingly far away.
    and it closes early.

b0wser on
    edited October 2007
    the convenience store under the convention center had some inexpensive beer and wine.

futility on
    edited October 2007
    But beer and wine isn't liquor. Not that it mattered for us, we bought most of our liquor in North Dakota on the cheap with an awesome selection.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bah, not all of us have the luxury of driving through North Dakota. Say what you will about how liquor is handled in WA, but at least we're not Utah.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I wish I had known this in retrospect. Ahh well, next year.

Viscountalpha on
    edited October 2007
    I'll keep this in mind when I rewrite the guide to PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.