As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited December 2023 in Games and Technology

What is GTA5?
Grand Theft Auto 5 is the latest installment of the well known open world world series.

So what can I do in this game?
What can't you do? Bike, drive, fly, run, shoot, swim. Check it out:

Can I play with my friends?
Absolutely. The announced multiplayer portion is Grand Theft Auto Online - join our Rockstar Social Club, We Are Nice Guys, and play with us! The Rockstar Social Club is platform independent, so it doesn't matter if you're playing on Xbox or PlayStation - join up!

So what's the campaign like this time around?
Join Michael, Franklin, and Trevor as they plan and execute six large heists in Los Santos. These three lovable scamps are iconic representations of past GTA protagonists - the reluctant criminal, the gang leader, and the psychopath. All three of them participate in missions together, enabling you to switch between them for different perspectives on the action. That's a first for this series.

What's this about not installing the Play disc for 360?
Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc - Install mandatory 8GB "install disc" only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-360-play-disc

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

Zilla360 wrote: »
For anyone confused about subs/scuba diving (this should really go in the OP as the question keeps on coming up):

Yellow water vehicles only, to put it simply.

And yes, you heard it right - WE ARE FINALLY GETTING A PC PORT! Also on next gen consoles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBrG2YjqQA

Rockstar Social Club/We Are Nice Guys stuff:
jdarksun wrote: »
Not a member of WANG? Want to be? Here's how!
1) Fill out this form!
2) Request an invite to our Crew here!
3) If you really want to get in ASAP, send me (@jdarksun) a PM!
4) Questions? Comments? Concerns? Contact @chasm (lJesseCusterl), @Allforce, @Dusda (dusda.kisou), @jdarksun, or @Local H Jay (LocalHJay).
Current Roster (may not reflect recent changes)

Gang Attack Locations!
RAJ0MW3.jpg

Car Charts!
Pretty, but not sortable
Sortable, but not pretty
This one is pretty and pre-sorted!

* - not banned in all off Australia, just a couple stores (Target and Kmart).

Grand Theft Auto Online – Heists!

PC Specifications
Minimum specifications:
OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB
DVD Drive

Recommended specifications:
OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB
DVD Drive

jdarksun on

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "Connection to download server lost. Reconnecting..." is the new "GTA5 PC release in June, maybe."

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Damn you all!

Hope you're all still playing in 2 years when I can actually join you all.

Good luck out there.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    anyone here got the game OUTSIDE of Steam?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Annoyingly, you have to scan for songs before the folder shows up, FYI. Here is the default location:

C:\Users\URNAMEHERE\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V\User Music\

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Its been unpacking for what seems like forever.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yup, I'm still in the middle of the 350mb launch day patch.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Social Club servers feeling the strain. This is going to be a fun night.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Yep. Already got teh crew created and people invited. Logo made.....now im just kicking around staring at the progress bar.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed. Social club errored out trying to log me in and then just locked my account. I tried the same password i used on my ps4 copy of the game and it went fine. Done with this garbage, think I'll wait till they fix that shit.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yup, I'm still in the middle of the 350mb launch day patch.

Good news, WE DON'T NEED TO UNPACK!!!!
    After the patch you're good to go

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Oof. My non-steam version keeps crashing before being able to download the day 1 patch and when I use that exe floating around, it still crashes when trying to launch (or yells at me for trying to launch gta5.exe directly). :\

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    mojo, i'm in the same lobby as you. we should team up!

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Making a character now for Online. Wish there were more hairstyles.

Can you change physical appearance at all after creation, or is it just hair that you can change?

Suriko on
  • Options
    Man, dat intro in first person. This is amazing so far.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Port is really good so far. Like, probably contender for best port of the year type talk. Might have taken a while Rockstar but at least you did actually seem to be putting some muscle into it and not pulling a GTA IV.

• Options
    Playing Online a bit. This stuttering a little due to being over recommended memory usage, but looks damn fine.

• Options
    I maxed everything except high detail shadows (on the advanced tab) and stayed just below the memory usage cap for my card. The intro had kinda iffy framerates (the flashback), but since then, things have been pretty darn smooth. Currently just walking around as Franklin seeing the neighborhood.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So far, the only hiccup I've encountered with GTAO was while running a job to take out a construction site gang boss: one of the bodyguards fell through the world and, in true falling through the world fashion, was able to still shoot up at me...through the wall of an Ammu-Nation. Thankfully, since killing everybody wasn't on my agenda, I was able to take his car and drive off.

Basically, everything seems to be going mostly smoothly. Oh, and I got the game from GMG (which uses R* Warehouse codes)...so consider me non-Steam.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Man, this game. The environmental effects in 1st person are just amazing. All of the little details and animations. As the sun was setting and things were stirring in the breeze, I could almost feel it. This game is going to be ridiculous if they add OR or Vive support.

I'm downloading the iFruit app to my phone now.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    anyone try heists on pc? seems to freeze on the first heist when you bring that car to lester

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Just tooled around in open mode online myself, bumped into @mojojoeo and drove into some stuff with him in tow. Sorry I could hear what you were saying dude, didn't stumble across the VOIP settings until just now. Everything seems really slick so far, very impressed! Sadly IRL must go on, so off to bed for me.

Campy on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Oh my god this Steam decryption thing is taking forever. Today has been less than great and I just want to roll around Los Santos :(

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Oh fuck me. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the PS4/Xbone launch. Your cars don't carry over? God damn, and here I thought I was getting bonus cash, not compensation for a full garage lost.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Currently unable to play any GTA:Online, game instantly vomits up a "unable to initiate communication" with the servers error.

Tried opening ports. No dice. Might be just the game servers shitting themselves, I guess.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Saving for Online appears to be a bit spotty right now, for obvious reasons. It's working, but only occasionally. Just forewarning.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    its all good

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Just play the offline story mode until it all works properly, you lick SOBs :)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Servers are behaving moor

Join on for a friends only lobby

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Dis grafics
    Dis looks
    And here I had me a next gen gaming machine for almost 3 years.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Well I sure got boned by it filling up my SSD and bogging my machine down to the point where I couldn't do anything for awhile to fix it... GG Rockstar. Not the best way to welcome me to your game.

Deleted everything and I'm going to just start downloading from scratch. Maybe I'll get to play tonight?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wow...so turns out this is a thing. I am REALLY glad my Windows username isn't anything remotely like my PA forum or Steam handles.

Short version: GTA5 really doesn't like it when your Windows username uses anything other than alphanumeric characters.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    ...now I'm really glad that my Windows 8 install wasn't able to get online at the time so my username isn't my Live account.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    2015-04-13_23-29-58.jpg

*weep*

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Finally got into the game.

*Twenty minutes later*

Man I need an upgrade.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Is anyone else experiencing a low memory issue? I'll be playing and either the game will crash or my system will lock and the few times I've seen Windows' message it references the need to free up memory so its ending GTA...

EDIT: I have 8GBs of system memory and 4GBs of VRAM...

emp123 on
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Finally got into the game.

*Twenty minutes later*

Man I need an upgrade.

Give it until you play as Franklin. I got kinda spotty FPS during the opening segment. It's been buttery smooth since then.

Man, this game. My mind was just blown when I bought some sunglasses and then went into first person to not only see the game shaded slightly purple by them, but them actually working to reduce the glare from the sun.

• Options
    Going by 4chan and here, I think I'm the only one without a single issue so far. There's some slight graphical flickering with body wounds during cutscenes, but that's about it.

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    Going by 4chan and here, I think I'm the only one without a single issue so far. There's some slight graphical flickering with body wounds during cutscenes, but that's about it.

I haven't had a single issue that I can recall.

Well, the iFruit phone app doesn't seem to be updated for Steam yet, but that doesn't count.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    2015-04-13_23-29-58.jpg

*weep*

I'm at 5gb. But I haven't been downloading, since the cable isn't working at home, and I don't want to suck up too much bandwith. But hopefully overnight, I can get it done :/

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118