As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV10 [Voting]: Publisher of the Decade

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited April 2015 in Graphic Violence
Vote for your favorite publisher! THIS IS THE BATTLEDOME.

DJ Eebs on

GV10 [Voting]: Publisher of the Decade 68 votes

Marvel
63%
A duck!BionicPenguinHadjiQuestDisco11Kevin Cristff7007Devlin_Dragonus-SPI-iguanacusKyouguDJ EebsTomantaUnbrokenEvaLanglyTransporterVisskarManetherenWolfZonugalHeatwaveOdin 43 votes
DC
0%
33%
BursarTyrantCowNeoTomaTexiKenjkylefultonvegeta_666StraightziBogartNogsDelduwathLost CanuckI needed anime to post.LalaboxMartini_PhilosopherPhillishereGustavMerlin the TunaUltimateInfernoDizzy DGvzbgul 23 votes
Archie
0%
Boom! Studios
0%
Dark Horse
1%
Balefuego 1 vote
Dynamite
0%
IDW
1%
Garlic Bread 1 vote
Oni Press
0%
Other (Please leave a comment in the thread)
0%

• Options
    Marvel
    Here's the final category for this whole GV10 experience! We'll have some fun stuff at the close of this on Wednesday, including a place for everyone to discuss their favorite moments and other things they didn't feel got their due in the categories we've done so far.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Marvel
    This is really Marvel vs. Image and it is a pretty brutal fight

Marvel spent 2005-2015 in a creative renaissance, bouncing back from bankruptcy and riding the success of their Ultimate Line to become the juggernaut that dominated the decade both creatively and sales wise. They brought in indie talent and let them play with the biggest toys, they weren't afraid to try risky, unexpected plots and series, they reinvented old obscure characters to great success and brought their stalwarts to higher heights than ever. And that doesn't even touch on the global phenomenon that is Marvel Studios and the MCU.

On the flipside, Image has probably changed the face of comics, as a business, going forward. They aren't just creators side projects while they work at Marvel/DC or a bunch of attempts at making their own trite superhero universe, they are the most innovative, progressive publisher in comics today and they are placing almost all of the power, and success, in the creator's hands. Image books are regular best-sellers and getting movie deals left and right and unlike at Marvel or DC the creators own their work and directly benefit from its success, which is a beautiful thing. Cap that off with Walking Dead being one of, if not the, biggest comics things ever and they've had a hell of a decade.

Obviously both of them have had missteps and bad stories as well but overall both publishers have had a truly incredible decade and personally I am fine with either one taking it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Marvel
    where is Valiant?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Marvel
    Yeah I looked at my lists of votes for best comics, best characters, and best events/new IP, and they were all marvel votes. So, I guess make mine Marvel.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Marvel
    I think Image is doing a ton of completely awesome stuff, but Marvel has given me more personal enjoyment and satisfaction over the past decade.
    Kind of a hard call between the two, though. Image is doing so many wonderful things! (And I still need to read Saga)

• Options
    Marvel
    I can't really say I'm surprised by how this is shaking out so far

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Marvel
    If there was a category for "Most surprising publisher" it would be Archie no doubt. Just amazing what they put out and I never thought I would be looking forward to an Archie comic.

Though Best Publisher? That's Marvel and by a huge margin.

Something that I have forgotten till recently was how every of their events, disregarding their varrying quality, seemed to organically build off each other for a good number of years. Starting at Civil War you could go back and read the events and they would make narrative sense. That's huge.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Marvel stepped up their game a lot in the past few years, but it seems in response to how well Image was being run and how free it lets things be.

What puts Image over the top of the other publishers for me is that Image has basically fed Marvel (and DC) the talent that has made their books so much better in recent years. You cut off that pipeline, we'd still be in that Civil War/Secret Invasion era of decent ideas badly executed.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Marvel stepped up their game a lot in the past few years, but it seems in response to how well Image was being run and how free it lets things be.

What puts Image over the top of the other publishers for me is that Image has basically fed Marvel (and DC) the talent that has made their books so much better in recent years. You cut off that pipeline, we'd still be in that Civil War/Secret Invasion era of decent ideas badly executed.

DC used to have a lock on the talent pipeline through Vertigo. A lot of the positive directions at Marvel and Image have benefited from the nearly decade of bad decision-making at DC, with possibly the greatest being the corporate-mandated decision to lock down TV/Movie rights for creator-owned books at Vertigo.

That single decision meant that the constant stream of writers and artists who work at Vertigo while doing side work for DC's superhero books has dried up. Now, the big-name creators largely flip between creator-owned work at Image and work-for-hire with Marvel.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    This is really Marvel vs. Image and it is a pretty brutal fight
    This is exactly what I thought as I clicked the thread. Marvel has done some pretty incredible things: re-inventing characters, re-inventing themselves, not being afraid of making big changes and sticking to them, and so on. Image has always had some great series, but has stepped up their game in the past couple of years; it seems like nine out of ten new series they put out are juicy enough that I want to read them.

I'm sure Marvel is going to win. I'm just voting for Image to give them a bigger voice, and because TexiKen is right totally right about them being a greenhouse of talent.

Also, Image did something so ballsy that my hat is still off to them: DRM-free digital issues of all their series - and in CBZ/CBR formats, too! I would buy a lot more Marvel series digitally if they just gave me the files.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    At the end of the day I love what both Marvel and Image are doing, but I like more Image comics than Marvel comics. Their $10 intro trades are a fantastic idea and have drawn me into many great series.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    And worth mentioning, but not vote worthy, DC did do one thing right (and one thing very, very wrong with the reboot), which was they pushed release date digital onto the industry, which was a long time coming. And they held the line on pricing without being snarky passive aggressive about it.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Marvel
    I am a DC fanboy, I'll straight up admit. But as far back as GL: Rebirth, there has been problems with the people in charge. It got worse with 52/One Year Later (the main 52 book was absolutely fantastic despite all the stuff surrounding it), then fell off a cliff with the Nu52. Plus, their live-action stuff mostly sucks (Arrow, Flash, and iZombie being the only bright spots) and I'm not familiar with Dark Horse or Image enough as companies to vote for them.

Based on what I've read here and other places, Marvel's been knocking it out of the park, and I've enjoyed all of their recent live-action stuff. So I'm voting for them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    As much as I like Marvel's output right now, I've voted for Image because Image just brings a certain excitement to comics I've missed for a long time. I don't read previews, so when I see new #1's of Marvel and DC I can usually have some idea what the title will be like (they can move a little to the left or the right of that idea, but generally I'm pretty spot on). Image though, I love how I can see a title in the posts here that list the comics of that week and have no idea what it's going to be about.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Marvel's been doing good work recently

But honestly, most of the comics I'm actually reading are Image

I got into comics through Vertigo, and as much as I enjoy a lot of cape books, they're not the reason I'm into comics

I actually considered voting for DC, with the caveat that I'm voting for Vertigo, because my favorite books come from that imprint

But Image is doing the best work in that field right now, and I'm really enamored with their policy of ten dollar first trades, which has gotten me to buy some things I might not have otherwise (some of which I continued, and some of which I did not)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Marvel have been the best of the big two but 80% of my top picks for best comics of the decade are from Image. They've had a ludicrously good run, over a huge range of genres and with immensely varied talents.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm not voting in this since I primarily read comics for superhero stories. Like, the only non-superhero books I get are Hellboy universe stuff from Darkhorse, Saga and Rat Queens from Image, and Transformers from IDW. Everything else is Marvel by a wide margin (I've probably bought nearly 200 Marvel trades since late 2012 and I'm picking up at least a dozen series in physical or digital), but I can't say it's for any specific reason of quality; it's just they put out more of what I'm interested in comics for.

I'm basically too uninformed on the other publishers to make a judgment here.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Marvel
    There are so many great Image books (my three favourite ongoings are all Image), but I'm a sucker for superheroes, so Marvel gets my vote.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Marvel
    Image has definitely been putting out quality product, but Marvel went from being sort of there, sort of not, to being a goddamn multimedia powerhouse in addition to putting out better and better comics seemingly every month.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Marvel
    I am more or less a dyed-in-the-wool DC person who grew up running home for The Batman/Superman Adventures, but DC basically built their coffin with the boondoggle that was the New 52, and between the goddamn hit parade that's the MCU and the Marvel NOW "don't call it a reboot" that is also a goddamn hit parade, Marvel is nailing it shut. I've only just started reading comics monthly with Batgirl and Gotham Academy (which hit at just the right time/number of back issues for me to jump onboard), but even those just seem like they could be Marvel titles with the serial numbers filed off. Long story short: I think this is the Age of Apocalypse Ultron Marvel and everyone else is just living in it.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Marvel did good, but Image is defining.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Marvel
    I'm a Marvel, not a DC.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Marvel
    Keith voting for IDW was a really good joke

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Marvel
    You sit there at 0% and think about why DC, and don't come out of your corner til you do!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Marvel
    I couldn't vote for IDW because I've only read a few of their books, whereas Marvel's given me so many good books I barely have room for more. Plus it gave me Ultimate Spider-man, which gives the publisher a huge advantage.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Quantum KnightQuantum Knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Marvel
    I went with Marvel. With everything they've done in the last 10 years or so to push comics and comic book movies more into mainstream media, how can one not vote for them as the publisher of the decade?

Quantum Knight on
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I couldn't vote for IDW because I've only read a few of their books, whereas Marvel's given me so many good books I barely have room for more. Plus it gave me Ultimate Spider-man, which gives the publisher a huge advantage.

Every single publisher on that list has produced several great books in the last decade, even Archie and DC. DC's definitely going through an identity crisis, but even then I could list 10 worthwhile titles from them being published today (especially if you throw in Vertigo and DC Digital).

It's a great time to be in comics.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Marvel

Every single publisher on that list has produced several great books in the last decade, even Archie and DC. DC's definitely going through an identity crisis, but even then I could list 10 worthwhile titles from them being published today (especially if you throw in Vertigo and DC Digital).

I know that, but my vote is based on the amount of good books I've personally read. I love the current Transformers books by IDW, but they're only handful compared to the greater number of books by Marvel that I've equally loved for the past 10 years.

It's the same reason I can't in good nature vote for Image, because I've only read one volume of Rat Queens and sex Criminals and one issue of Saga and Bitch Planet so far. That's not to say I don't think their books look interesting. It's just I can't afford to buy every interesting comic made, and so I've made the choice to buy what I thought were the most appealing to my tastes, and that just so happened to be a bunch of Marvel books.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    DC's definitely going through an identity crisis
    :tell_me_more:

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Marvel

Yeah, DC has put out some good books in the last 10 years, but it almost seems like they were good despite what was going on with the company itself.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    IDW

they published Locke & Key and Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations

plus some other books that I'm sure are good

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Keith wrote: »

they published Locke & Key and Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations

plus some other books that I'm sure are good

Their licensed books are all worth reading, and Transformers: More than Meets the Eye, Teenage Mutant Ninja and G.I.Joe: Cobra are outright great. It's a solid pick.

IDW's Artist Editions are also the classiest books in print. I really want the Mignola one.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    Marvel
    Marvel, hard choice between them and Image though.

Honourable mention to Fantagraphics for giving me Prison Pit and Weathercraft

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    i know we're talking ten years; but, i didn't get back in to the game until Locke & Key and Iron Fist/Hawkeye brought me back from the 90's. over the past few years Image has just been killing it. if i picked up ten random Image books and ten random Marvel books right now, i would guess i'd like more of the Image books. if i did it over the past ten years, i don't know as i've missed a lot of it. but i gotta go with Image since i got back in to comics.

shout out to IDW for those sexy hard-cover Locke & Key trades that brought me back to comics (draining my bank account).

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    For me, a few years ago it was 100% Image, half a decade before that, it was DC (I think? It definitely wasn't Marvel). But now? Marvel's doing real good. But, I'm still sticking with Image because its a 10 year thing, if it was just the last 2 or even 5 years Marvel would definitely have it.
    Image did so much stuff. Now I'm wondering what happened. They still put out good comics but they just don't quite seem to have that same magic, or they lost it to Marvel or something.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Marvel
    I'd argue Image is the best they've ever been.

Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, the Wicked + the Divine, Manhattan Projects, etc.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Marvel
    The influence back and forth between Marvel and Image has been so strong that I think you could make a case for both of them together.

But I'd argue that reabsorbing that Marvel talent into Image is what has put them over the top and drawn continued attention. Dudes like Kirkman and Vaughn never really broke through at Marvel, and have gained a profile off of their indie work instead, but I think it's been new work by Brubaker, Fraction, Hickman, and others that has put Image over the top, and that wouldn't have happened without Marvel. It's one thing for beloved indie creators to keep working at Image, but it's another thing for top-level big 2 creators to head back, because their success sort of lifts all boats and radiates down to new releases by more obscure creative teams. Doubly so given that Marvel has been shopping from those smaller teams.