As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Apparently when unpacking, GTAV needs infinity gigs of space. Deleted the pre-load and redownloading, good thing I have good internet, I guess.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Bought and downloading. I am weak.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Anyone hear anything about whether the game is playable on an i3?

The specs indicate that the engine really, really favors having four physical cores, so I'm wonder how a dual core CPU with hyperthreading would run it.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    Apparently when unpacking, GTAV needs infinity gigs of space. Deleted the pre-load and redownloading, good thing I have good internet, I guess.

Yeah it used over 100 during unpacking.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I transferred my online character to the PC version, and it put me through the character creator to make some changes. I settled on a cool new face, loaded the game, and... wait, that's not my face. Why am I wearing makeup? What's wrong with my chin? The fuck just happened? The only thing that seemed to stick was my choice of hair.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Finally got into the game.

*Twenty minutes later*

Man I need an upgrade.

Give it until you play as Franklin. I got kinda spotty FPS during the opening segment. It's been buttery smooth since then.

Man, this game. My mind was just blown when I bought some sunglasses and then went into first person to not only see the game shaded slightly purple by them, but them actually working to reduce the glare from the sun.

The framerate started to get weaker once I got to (it's) Franklin (coming to your house). In the intro I hovered around 40-60 FPS, but in the chase with the cops in Franklin's first mission, it got down to 24 for a bit. My 6870 is getting kind of obsolete but I was able to play at 50-60 FPS on Shadow of Mordor on low pretty consistently with the game still looking very pretty, but GTA is a much more taxing series on hardware. My main problem is that the textures don't look very good at "normal", but in order to maintain a decent framerate and be able to actually read the signs in Ammunations and other indoor places I would have to drop the resolution which I'm not used to doing.

The game still runs decently and looks good still besides some of the texture hiccups I get. Fantastic improvement over GTA4.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    So, did Rockstar ever make the Ranger SUV storable again? That was probably one of the best times I had on the 360 version, getting the crew together and trying to hold off the cop swam long enough for everyone to get one.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Few bugs here and there, had some issues with pop-in but nothing drastic and I'd have to say that the people who did the port did a good job on it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I imported my PS3 character and everything was looking good until I went to my garage and discovered all my cars are gone. Then when I found a decent one and tried to put a tracking device on it, I kept getting an error. Hopefully, those two issues are connected and I'll have my cars back tomorrow.

On the plus side, this game runs like a dream. I have a 970 and almost everything is maxed. I had to lower extended view distance and shadows to about half in advanced graphics options.

EDIT: Apparently, the lack of cars is because I haven't played GTAO since Dec 2013 and there's no fix (except maybe by submitting a support request). Fantastic.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Welp, fuck you, Rockstar. Bought your game, got it preloaded, booted up the stupid launcher, downloaded a patch, try to start the game, launcher says I'm signed in... and now the launcher is saying I can't play the fucking game because the game can't connect to the internet. Then how the fuck did I download a patch? Fairy dust?

I wasn't really hyped to play the game right now, but damn, I paid for them to fuck up so badly that their own launcher can't even connect properly to the internet, with a problem that was old ten years ago. Rework my router and shit? What kind of total amateur hour is this? I don't even fucking want to use the internet to play, I just want to load up singleplayer. Truly, I am the asshole for being a paying customer.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Getting pretty awesome performance. 60fps-ish at everything maxed besides high textures, high shadows, high shaders and 2xmsaa/TXAA + FXAA, 1440p. 980gtx, 16gb ram 2600k. Great port.

Bubby on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    Oh fuck me. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the PS4/Xbone launch. Your cars don't carry over? God damn, and here I thought I was getting bonus cash, not compensation for a full garage lost.

I'm not sure what's going on, but this had me worried when I read it. Pop into my garage and found my tiny collection of purple cars sitting pretty. I was actually relieved when I saw that.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I imported my PS3 character and everything was looking good until I went to my garage and discovered all my cars are gone. Then when I found a decent one and tried to put a tracking device on it, I kept getting an error. Hopefully, those two issues are connected and I'll have my cars back tomorrow.

On the plus side, this game runs like a dream. I have a 970 and almost everything is maxed. I had to lower extended view distance and shadows to about half in advanced graphics options.

EDIT: Apparently, the lack of cars is because I haven't played GTAO since Dec 2013 and there's no fix (except maybe by submitting a support request). Fantastic.

Yup, just found out. Have to log into the old version first (edit: prior to migration, just to clarify). I just submitted a support request, hopefully they'll get to it eventually. I expect to spend the next couple of weeks not adding cars to my garage, because I might lose them if they recover the others.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Is anyone able to buy a tracker for any new vehicles? I just get an error message about Rockstar servers being unavailable or something. I'm wondering if that's a widespread thing or if it's related to the character transfer bug.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So it turns out I ran into an odd bug: my stats didn't transfer over correctly when I went from XBone to PC. On XBone, I had 0 stamina (why run when you can drive or, better yet, fly), 4 shooting, 3.5 flying, 3 driving, 4 stealth. After the PC transfer, stamina, shooting, flying, stealth and breath capacity are maxed out in exchange for driving getting zeroed out. I can live with that swap, to be honest, but it's just a really weird bug to come across.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Got up early just to put some GTA time in before work.

I've signed up for WANG, if anyone wants to add me on R* the handle is Mattstopher

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    this is a pretty great port. i have a gtx 580, core i7 and 8gb of ram and everything is on high with a couple things on normal and it runs perfectly. I kind of expected it to be good since Max Payne 3 was a real good port too.

edit: the unpacking though, jesus. it took like literally 2 hours. thankfully I thought ahead enough to start the unpack before we left for dinner. could have downloaded it faster. think I might be done preloading, there's just no point with how big games are and how fast my connection is.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I tried playing this morning before work, but I failed. 45 minutes of "unpacking" wasn't enough to get even two thirds done. Aargh. What's the point of pre-load? It's quicker to just download the whole crappy 65gb.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    9 hours until I can actually get home to play this, does anyone know if it allows you to switch between gamepad and mouse/keyboard on a whim?
    Because I'd like to be using KBAM for shooting, but probably gamepad for just about everything else.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Going by 4chan and here, I think I'm the only one without a single issue so far. There's some slight graphical flickering with body wounds during cutscenes, but that's about it.

I haven't had a single issue that I can recall.

Well, the iFruit phone app doesn't seem to be updated for Steam yet, but that doesn't count.

Other than the terrible decryption, that appears to have been coded up by a drunk clown, the only problem I've had is that the human body requires sleep.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    9 hours until I can actually get home to play this, does anyone know if it allows you to switch between gamepad and mouse/keyboard on a whim?
    Because I'd like to be using KBAM for shooting, but probably gamepad for just about everything else.

I've been doing just this. Although I have been getting some weird ghost buttons presses when using controller (I think?). I am however using a jerry rigged PS3 controller.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Game runs pretty smoothly. The first-person modeling/animations are also awesome. Even stuff like breaking into cars and then messing around with the ignition for hotwiring has animations. My only pseudo-complaints are lack of ironsights and the rear/side view mirrors don't actually have reflections (you can press C to look back, but it's a bit awkward at first). But those are super nitpicky.

I have an i5 3570K (at 3.4 GHz), 8 GB of RAM, Radeon 7970. Runs smoothly (haven't had super huge action explosions or anything yet though). Loads a bit faster than the 360 version I recall (don't have it on an SSD or anything). Menus are still garbage.

My GTA:Online import seems to have worked fine. Both character seem intact the same as I remember them (stats seem right-ish, anyway). Both looked mostly correct in the character editor (I'd also argue they look a bit better in-game than in the line-up/creator thing). I got the $850,000 from pre-ordering (+$500,000 which appears to be singleplayer). When I logged in and found somewhere to check accounts, they both had well over $1,000,000, which is likely due to the free money they gave out for poor GTA:O launch performance.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Game runs pretty smoothly. The first-person modeling/animations are also awesome. Even stuff like breaking into cars and then messing around with the ignition for hotwiring has animations. My only pseudo-complaints are lack of ironsights and the rear/side view mirrors don't actually have reflections (you can press C to look back, but it's a bit awkward at first). But those are super nitpicky.

I have an i5 3570K (at 3.4 GHz), 8 GB of RAM, Radeon 7970. Runs smoothly (haven't had super huge action explosions or anything yet though). Loads a bit faster than the 360 version I recall (don't have it on an SSD or anything). Menus are still garbage.

My GTA:Online import seems to have worked fine. Both character seem intact the same as I remember them (stats seem right-ish, anyway). Both looked mostly correct in the character editor (I'd also argue they look a bit better in-game than in the line-up/creator thing). I got the $850,000 from pre-ordering (+$500,000 which appears to be singleplayer). When I logged in and found somewhere to check accounts, they both had well over $1,000,000, which is likely due to the free money they gave out for poor GTA:O launch performance.

I'm not sure about iron sights, but when I was using my scoped assault rifle I had to zoom in (mouse wheel up) before I looked down the optics. Might be the same with irons?

I much prefer playing in first person for maximum realism/immersion/awesome. But at least at for me it seems to be a disadvantage in MP.

Campy on
  • Options
    E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    Oh fuck me. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the PS4/Xbone launch. Your cars don't carry over? God damn, and here I thought I was getting bonus cash, not compensation for a full garage lost.

Everything should have carried over; garages, cars, clothes, guns, money, level etc etc.

If I were you I'd raise a ticket to Rockstar Support:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They might request evidence, say a screenshot of your previous garage, although if you can't provide this then in my experience they've been pretty understanding.

If worst comes to worse then I'm sure somebody here could provide you with a few pictures of their garage. You could claim it as your own maybe?

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

Game has ironsights. I clicked on right stick with my 360 controller and it toggled from reticule to ironsights when I pressed the aim button

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    First person is better than I thought it would be but still generally really janked and gimmicky.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    First person is better than I thought it would be but still generally really janked and gimmicky.

What have you noticed as janked? The only thing I've had issue with is the sometimes jarring cuts between first person and third person in cut scenes. They could have handled a few of those more smoothly.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm CorriganX on social club, feel free to friend me. I've got all the heists unlocked, etc. If you guys wanna run some scheisty stuff, let me know.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

Game has ironsights. I clicked on right stick with my 360 controller and it toggled from reticule to ironsights when I pressed the aim button

KBAM is right click then roll mouse wheel. proper irons....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    How many crews can we be in at one time? I'm in a small one with a couple friends, but I'd like to join the PA one too.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    How many crews can we be in at one time? I'm in a small one with a couple friends, but I'd like to join the PA one too.

Like 5

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Cruising through Los Santos at night on a big motorbike, with Girls on Film playing over the radio. Simple pleasures.

Then a guy fires an RPG, it safely flies between my bike and my body as I leap off, only for me to die with my torso wrapped around a street pole.

Smells like... GTA.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I played a few jobs with a buddy last night, but before that, I joined GTAO and it dropped me in some random location by the ocean. There happened to be a jet ski there. I drove it out until I couldn't see land and the game didn't seem to be stopping me anytime soon. Wonder how far you can go out...
    The ocean waves and other visuals really sold the atmosphere. So much so that when I hopped off my jet ski I was VERY uncomfortable in the water and expecting at any second to have my legs bitten off.
    I don't know if there are sharks, but as detailed as GTA5 seems to be, I would be shocked if there weren't.

Can't wait to get home and put in some more time. Curse you, real life responsibilities (but thank you for allowing me to afford my hobbies!).

vamen on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you are fretting over decryption space just delete the game, and re-download. Its out so there is no decryption anymore.

In-game voip PTT is on N. its no shabby. You can set it to crew and friends only in your MP quick menu (M)

I left defaults minus turning off AA. 60 solid at all times. Turned up advanced view distance and it tanks in fast scenes but still only to 40 or so. Bumped it back off as the pc regular draw distance is full on bonkers.

The word on the street is that turn shadows down 1 level from highest, and AA to x2 is a better look that the ultra shadows- and the overhead cost is = so the net result is a nicer look with the same fps.

I'll play with it later.

looking forwards to heists but apparently have to grind some dough to get the right house to start them....

heists = online level 12 and you have to own a high end apt. 200,00k once there you do a 2 man heist and then all the 4 mans open up.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    I plan on playing late tonight, with the goal of getting some Heists knocked out.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I played a few jobs with a buddy last night, but before that, I joined GTAO and it dropped me in some random location by the ocean. There happened to be a jet ski there. I drove it out until I couldn't see land and the game didn't seem to be stopping me anytime soon. Wonder how far you can go out...
    The ocean waves and other visuals really sold the atmosphere. So much so that when I hopped off my jet ski I was VERY uncomfortable in the water and expecting at any second to have my legs bitten off.
    I don't know if there are sharks, but as detailed as GTA5 seems to be, I would be shocked if there weren't.

Can't wait to get home and put in some more time. Curse you, real life responsibilities (but thank you for allowing me to afford my hobbies!).

I think if you go far enough, your jetski/boat will stop running and slowly sink.
    And out that far, there are sharks, so good luck swimming the ten or so miles back to land...

I don't know how they stop you if you're in the sub. I'd guess you either get forced out or it ex/implodes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So, did Rockstar ever make the Ranger SUV storable again? That was probably one of the best times I had on the 360 version, getting the crew together and trying to hold off the cop swam long enough for everyone to get one.

No, but the civilian model has the addable rails that you hang on to now. You can fit 4 on the rails and 4 inside, and it's heavy and can move pretty fast as long as you aren't chasing a supercar on a straightaway.

I got to use PTT in game yesterday, and it was surprisingly not bad.

The game/nvidia settings tell it to override how much vram I have by 25%, and I think that is causing my issues. enabling SLI just doubled the amount it said it would take up, which I thought was strange. Performance seemed worse, which isn't unheard of. I don't know how to get VRAM below 2gb/card without dropping below 1080p. Going to go lower and see if it fixes the hitching I am getting.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Sharks! I KNEW it! My legs were itching for a reason.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I had just enough space for the decode. And my computer runs the game smoothly on normal. With an i5 and gtx 660 I haven't noticed anything slowing down or chugging at any point. Also keyboard and mouse for aiming is soooo nice. I haven't really played a console gta since the ps2 era, and I hated the aiming in San andreas.

I tried out gta4, but the driving felt so shit and I didn't care for the game much, but it feels a lot better in this one.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    where the heck dos the game stick movies and screenshots?

the editor menu option shows my storage drive's available space but ill be damned if i can find the folder.