As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Reading some stuff on Hunt the Truth...
    Are they changing the canon again?
    Guy talking about John walking into a high school boxing league at age 11/12 and just laying out the #1 guy with two punches.

I thought Oni/Halsey took them at age 7? Or so? I remember that the body mods had to be done near/around puberty so the body can adjust to the changes better. 12 seems way too old.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    He did kill an ODST in training that way, yeah. That would be post-augment.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Someone tell me why he shoots a Spartan in the teaser please.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    IDK if this is what @Nocren read/listened to, but there's this tumblr blog thing that's building backstory for Halo 5.

Hunt the Truth

Spoilers pertaining to that below:

One of the interviewees states that "He did not look like a kindergartner, he was that big" in his early life.

The boxing guy states that there was a John that was seen around (canon) post abduction at the age of 12... doing the boxing thing. (edit: It could be that he simply looked like a 12 year old/was in 6th grade though.)

But at the end of the video there's a paper record saying a John died at the proper age. John was always said to be different though, so perhaps the clone was too... and worst case there may be two Master Chiefs, because Oni or Forerunner/Other (I hope not).

:|

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Yeah. Finally saw the ending bit.

Also interesting that they canonized the "starry night" Halo 3 ad with the second interviewee.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Poked around the wiki and they have the reference (from the Fall of Reach), pre-modification:
    Page 59: wrote:
    "...Fourteen years old and he had the body of an eighteen-year-old Olympic athlete, and a mind the equal of any Naval Academy honors graduate."

So it might not be a conflict?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    But wasn't he at the training facility at that point?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, he was at that point. Not enough information to go off though.

We know his growth and intelligence were abnormally advanced.

I mean, Ellie says he was "a big kindergartner" but we don't know for sure if he was enrolled in kindergarten. Her assumption could have been based off his age, as it's likely she'd been told that by his parents or w/e? It doesn't seem that they went to school together.

In school, he may have been enrolled at a higher grade level, which would mesh with the teacher's account? IDK...

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I always enjoyed the (current canon I guess? The one from the book.) origin for the Spartans.

Mainly because what the UNSC did was so inexcusably awful that if there is any justice in their world they'd all be tried and executed for crimes against humanity (although IIRC most everyone involved is dead anyway).

If it wasn't for the fact that they accidentally made the perfect warriors to fight a surprise alien invasion (instead of their original goal of creating super soldiers to put down Human separatists) things may have played out differently.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    That's kinda where they were going with Halsey in Halo 4 and Spartan Ops.

Also, 343i has been pretty good at trying to incorporate all the various material and keeping canon mostly straight, which is why the stuff released now kinda jarred me a bit.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    IDK, Even within canon Master-Chief has always been a little off though compared to the other Spartans. He been said to bigger, smarter, different, etc... they're just building off that.

The other kids still have the abducted into super person war crimes backstory. They seem to be going into Halsey inadvertently abducting someone already on the road to being a super person, possibly via non-human crimes against humanity.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    As I recall all the kids were effectively Übermensch before the abduction and if left alone they would have grown in to the absolute best a human could be.

Master Chief, IIRC (from the books), was basically right on the cut-off line for abduction recruitment and a coin flip sealed his fate.

While I don't think Ilovebess is considered canon at all, I certainly wouldn't mind it becoming so. A bunch of natural born Spartan 1.5s running around would be a nice parallel to the other Spartans.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I personally think the stories like that are more interesting, honestly.

• Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    There's only one Master Chief. The journalist is trying to discover the truth that we fans already know.

You see, normal citizens of that universe have no idea about what really happened in the Spartan II program including the fact that ONI kidnapped children, replaced them with shitty clones and made them into super soldiers. It was unethical, so ONI had to keep as much of it a secret as possible. So this is where we're getting into cover ups.

By now, EVERYONE knows who the Master Chief is, we know he's the savior of humanity. The public knows this, and we know this because we played as him doing the deeds that made him famous. So ONI decides to capitalize on this Spartan by painting a portrait and false caricature to the public in order to inspire and also get things rolling for the Spartan IV program. John's flash clone died at the age of 6 and there are city records that state this, but the gym coach the journalist interviewed says he knew John until he was about 12-ish. If you read the letter that the reporter received from the ONI Communications Director, he says that "we have the interviews lined up for you". The interviewees who say they saw John at an age older than 6...were ONI "plants" being used to have the reporter tell the narrative they wanted for John becoming a Spartan.

Basically the story says he was inspired by his insurrectionist capture and volunteered to be a Spartan. This is a good way to paint the soldier as a beacon of hope and symbol of heroism and avoiding further tarnishing ONI's already bad reputation. The mystery isn't about what WE know or don't know about the Master Chief's past, it's about his future in this universe and the role ONI is currently playing.

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    IDK, Even within canon Master-Chief has always been a little off though compared to the other Spartans. He been said to bigger, smarter, different, etc... they're just building off that.

It's been a while since I read Reach and Onyx, but I'm pretty sure Chief, although pretty much the best overall and an unnaturally lucky son-of-a-bitch, wasn't anywhere near the best at everything. Fred could keep up with him pretty well, Linda(or Kelly) was faster, while Kelly (or Linda) was much better sniper, that kind of thing. He was a good leader and an all-rounder which put him at the top, but the main difference between him and the other spartans was being in the right place at the right time.

Also, I saw the ads for the new Halo playing during Flash. Man. Those were bad. It's especially notable considering how good the trailers were for ODST.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I thought those new live action trailers for Halo 5 were pretty neat. I liked Locke's sarcastic speech to Chief.

• Options
    Thanks Raziel, that helps.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

Yeah, didn't read everything there.

I did say worst case there's two chiefs. :P

• Options

Gotta make Co-op canon somehow :biggrin:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Master Chief's less talented brother: Master Chef

(Or at least that's the story I've always told my co-op buddies)

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular

Master Chief's less talented brother: Master Chef

(Or at least that's the story I've always told my co-op buddies)

steven-seagal-casey-ryback-under-seige.jpg

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I played some MCC today and had fun, but some of the games were horribly laggy. Particularly Halo 3.

Also, there's 41 maps in BTB, and all anyone votes for is Coagulation, Zanzibar, Headlong and Valhalla. My kingdom for Waterworks...
    They should honestly just let us toggle which game we wanna play, the way playlists are done makes me long for the days of Bungie.

• Options
    I kind of miss Halo 3, where either you played the selected map/gametype, or you vetoed and had to play whatever mystery map/gametype was selected afterward. As it is, voting tends to skew towards slayer all the time in mixed gametype playlists, even when the votes are evenly split.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    So in Halo 2, was plasma pistol + SMG always broken as fuck?

Because that shit wrecks.

• Options
    So in Halo 2, plasma pistol + anything is broken as fuck

Fixed that.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    My memory of the coin flip incident with Halsey is John is already a head taller than all his classmates; she flips the coin and he's able to follow it in the air and see what side it will come down on. I think that's from the booklet that shipped with the Reach CE/LE.

Does the MCC thing pull forward any of my Halo Waypoint data, or do I start all over again?

• Options
    Start from zero but everything is unlocked

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So in Halo 2, plasma pistol + anything is broken as fuck

Fixed that.

Can you bxr in MCC?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    I bought an XBONE and Master Chief Collection.

Friend request "JerichoTwoFour" and let's try to play this broken kind of fixed working? nightmare.

PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • Options
    Added for co-op shootmans.

• Options
    I should probably readd you...

I played a bit of 3 and forgot how slow the series was to start (no sprint), but damn is it silky smooth and pretty in high res.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I played a bit of 3 and forgot how slow the series was to start (no sprint), but damn is it silky smooth and pretty in high res.

You probably should!

Also, Halo 3 is the hardest of the games for me to look at. The animations look all weird at 60fps. H2A is great, so far; I wish there was a universal control scheme that had crouch on left stick, melee on B, and reload on X (and I don't mean with crazy shit like Bumper Jumper going on). I think the only way my hands will work with my brain is to play every game on its default controls, or get really used to Halo 3 bumper reloading again. :(

EDIT: Why the fuck does Halo 2's default have melee on RB? D:

jerichotwofour on
  • Options

You probably should!

Also, Halo 3 is the hardest of the games for me to look at. The animations look all weird at 60fps. H2A is great, so far; I wish there was a universal control scheme that had crouch on left stick, melee on B, and reload on X (and I don't mean with crazy shit like Bumper Jumper going on). I think the only way my hands will work with my brain is to play every game on its default controls, or get really used to Halo 3 bumper reloading again. :(

EDIT: Why the fuck does Halo 2's default have melee on RB? D:

So it fits inline with the Reach and 4 control schemes (and one of the ones from 5 as well).
    Given how much I used it there, it's kinda become the default for me.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So it fits inline with the Reach and 4 control schemes (and one of the ones from 5 as well).
    Given how much I used it there, it's kinda become the default for me.

I understand that much, but it's listed as "default." That implies, to me at least, "as it was played on the original Xbox." Either way, I've decided to use the Universal Reclaimer scheme. I've mostly been getting stomped, but Halo is like riding a bike. I just need to keep climbing back on.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I assume we can't talk about the whole Halo Online thing here?

• Options
    Since there was no universal boxer control scheme (boo), I ended up going for universal zoom & shoot, since those are the controls that pretty much every other shooter uses these days.
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I assume we can't talk about the whole Halo Online thing here?
    I don't see why not.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Bumper Jumper is love, Bumper Jumper is life.

• Options
    Halo: Spartan Strike is now out on Windows devices, Steam, and iDevices.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Xbox release since the original Spartan Assault was decent fun. And the top-down view gives me Halo Wars vibes.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Halo: Spartan Strike is now out on Windows devices, Steam, and iDevices.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Xbox release since the original Spartan Assault was decent fun. And the top-down view gives me Halo Wars vibes.

I'm only interested if they took out the complete bullshit "pay actual money for the power weapons" Freemium garbage this time.