As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

insta[chat]

19596979899101»

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Are ring conventions different there or is that picture flipped horizontally?

right hand is the wedding ring hand here, if that answers your question

It does. Interesting.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Anyway, bit of a launch post-mortem for those interested, some stuff I didn't think to share earlier, what this means going forward, upcoming launches (with a particular focus on upcoming cool launches, of course!):

So that was a very pretty launch on what looked like a beautiful Florida afternoon. The Falcon 9 v1.1 launch vehicle performed nominally, delivering it's Dragon spacecraft into orbit en route to a rendezvous with the International Space Station.

A lot happens in the first few minutes of a launch, so I thought I'd provide a little timeline of a nominal launch (like this one!):

T 0s : Liftoff!
    T + 70s: Maximum atmospheric pressure as the rocket powers through the atmosphere
    T + 78s: We are supersonic! Get rekt, sound waves!
    T + 2m45s: Main Engine Cutoff, Stage Separation, Second Stage Engine Ignition, spacecraft now travelling at about 1.8km/s all happen around this time
    T + 3m: Do a flip! (The 1st stage reorients itself, turning almost 180 degrees and pointing back the way it came - sorta)
    T + 4m45s: 1st stage begins the first of 3 burns, known as the "boostback" burn as it reduces it's horizontal velocity to near 0.
    T + 5m: Stage 2 + Spacecraft are 165km up, 205km downrange, and travelling at 2.5km/s!
    T + 5m20s: Boostback burn complete!
    T + 6m50s: 1st stage begins the second of 3 burns, the "reentry" burn, where it slows its descent speed through the atmosphere so it doesn't get too hot - it has no "heat shield" to speak of, beyond what the engines and their thrust plate are already designed to resist.
    T + 7m20s: Reentry burn completed, second stage and Dragon spacecraft still doing their thang, going in to space, no big deal.
    T + 8m: 1st stage begins burn 3 of 3, the "landing burn" otherwise known as the "suicide" burn, where it tries to time it perfectly so that it reaches the barge right as its velocity is reduced to 0m/s. This is the part that apparently didn't go perfectly today. We lose telemetry data with the stage soon after this burn begins, which is why visual confirmation is necessary for the rest of its flight (times are therefore inexact for the first stage after this point.)
    T + 9m30s: Expected landing time for stage 1. Second Stage Engine Cut Off!
    T + 10m10s: Second stage separation, Dragon spacecraft deployed, Primary mission success!

From this point on, things start moving a lot slower. If you want a description of the general flightplan for the Dragon spacecraft, I am of course more than happy to provide one, but I won't have things like exact times or anything available :)

Anyway, no super-cool robo-barge landing today, but that's okay. It's an ambitious effort, and they're still learning and experimenting, and this is part of the process, as much as it does suck to see. Rocket re-usability is a huge goal of all of the Commercial Spaceflight enterprises, though, so it will be very cool seeing them all try their hand at their version of reusable technology.

Update from Mr Musk:

So it looks like it's still coming in too hot sideways, still. Very cool early pictures, though!

that uh, doesn't count as a good landing.

The aircraft landed just fine but had "excess forward velocity" and plowed through the terminal

Eh. Most airplanes don't have to have a (0,0,0) velocity vector to not explode, though.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    that time I lost my license I took the turn just fine but I had excess sideways velocity and plowed into a garden with mom's bmw

but it was a good turn

ftOqU21.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Rural France is more like rural.... Let's say Virginia.

It looks good the weather is nice in the summer but the political climate isn't so great and a lot of the smart young people moved to the big city long ago.

French food is pretty good though.

Eh, in some ways. It's still got a much better political climate than rural US.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Plus college town, so lots of kids.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I just want to play house in my awesome condo in GTA V
    O_O
    gimmmmmeeeee

Bless your heart.
    Eddy wrote: »
    it frightens me that that guy's sunglasses completely occlude his eyebrows even with all that forehead real estate left over

i wonder if he even has eyebrows

you can see them through the sunglasses

ftOqU21.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Oh man, so I am traveling soon... TO GERMANY AND FINLAND

OH FUCK YES PRAISE THE LORD GONNA EAT SASSAGES

After your Chinese adventures I recommend the Schweinshaxe

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Sticking the landing does seem like an important thing when failing causes things to go boom.

Thomamelas on
    Oh man, so I am traveling soon... TO GERMANY AND FINLAND

OH FUCK YES PRAISE THE LORD GONNA EAT SASSAGES

When and where?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Sticking the landing does seem like an important when failing causes things to go boom.

Now I have the mental image of a gymnast on the uneven bars wearing a suicide vest.

Thomamelas wrote: »
    Sticking the landing does seem like an important when failing causes things to go boom.

yeah but it's also like, everything but a picture perfect landing makes it go boom

so there's going to be a lot of *booom* "wow that went great so much better than last time"

ftOqU21.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Oh god. I want GTA 5 RIGHT THIS MINUTE

What happened to the story DLC? I want more adventures with Trevor.

trevor is my spirit animal

919UOwT.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    finland eh

scandinavia's china

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    we have reached page 101, you know what that means

sailormoon.jpg

Vanguard on
    finland eh

scandinavia's china

you're gonna have to explain that one

ftOqU21.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Rural France is more like rural.... Let's say Virginia.

It looks good the weather is nice in the summer but the political climate isn't so great and a lot of the smart young people moved to the big city long ago.

French food is pretty good though.

the weather is terrible here in the summer who told you that

food is good though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

dropping wubs in his meth addled mind
    wait is trevor the meth head or the other guy

Bless your heart.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i'm also curious as to what level of recycling they'll be able to get out of the first stage even if they recover it. the space shuttle was reusable in only the loosest sense of the word. it basically had to be stripped down and rebuilt. no two flights used the same engines (the engines were removed, refurbished, and retested, about 60 or so in the fleet I think). they weren't even planning on removing them originally but yep, that's what they had to do.

SpaceX is very curious about this too, but they already know from practice that stuff from water landings isn't very reusable, so this is their next best effort!

Reusability is definitely a very uncertain business, but it's something to strive towards if only because it could make things so much cheaper.

Those dang engines are expensive (which, as an aside, is why stage 2 recovery is less of a priority - it's much smaller and only has one engine anyway!)

RWELGa7l.jpg
    runner up category kids

ftOqU21.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    o2h5tbmkau25.gif

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    finland eh

scandinavia's china

say what

steam_sig.png
    sailor moon looks a whole like like a slightly-cleaner-shaven donkey kong

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i can inline this gif
    XrZeD2q.gif

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    M0qf9Gsl.jpg
    runner up category portraits

ftOqU21.png
    what's up with all these eyebrowless pictures

eyebrows are the best part of the human body

edited April 2015
    8hAismLl.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8hAismL.jpg (<- not awful tiny version)
    also this one, from Nidarosdomen

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    58cf7f69edb86b6b442b39f3c377784b.jpg

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

dropping wubs in his meth addled mind
    wait is trevor the meth head or the other guy

that's trevor

919UOwT.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what's up with all these eyebrowless pictures

eyebrows are the best part of the human body

some people say the most erotic part of the human body is the boobs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread.

rRwz9.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 3.4

@Gooey will create the new thread
    @Thomamelas is backup

This discussion has been closed.