As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fixing My Bathroom

Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's the skinny. I live in a pretty crappy basement apartment in Brooklyn. At least, the place was pretty crappy until I moved in and made it significantly less crappy. It's still pretty rude though, especially the bathroom.

The former tenants painted the bathtub. I have no idea why. I assume it's because they were too lazy to actually clean it, but that's neither nor there. I've spent the better part of the day stripping the paint off and exposing it's nice white underside. Except for the fact that most of the floor of the tub isn't white (the walls, however, are). There's a nice big spot where rust has eaten through the bottom, and lot of much smaller spots with surface rust.

I've hit the smaller spots with CLR and a bristle brush, to little effect. I'm gonna see if steel wool will help. My main concerns are the big spots. Anybody know if there's any kind of filling agent I can use to patch the hole up? Or will I have to suffer with covering it with a bathmat and hoping nobody notices.

Wyvern998 on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rent or own?

...new tub? Reglazing can change the color, but I don't think it will do much for physical damage.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's a common practice by crappier landlords/tenets (we had it too, so nothing personal).

You could get some epoxy (?) paint and just paint the thing yourself. Better than using flat paint or something. Whatever the hardware store recomends.

Other option is to talk to a gearhead buddy and see what they use for rust repairs. If they can suggest something cheap from Murray's or Pepboys, might be worth a shot.

Otherwise tlak to the landlord/owner and see if they can do anything. If you're renting, it's their responsibility to provide a tetanus-free shower.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They make insert shells that just act as an entirely new liner for the tub/shower. Not sure of the cost, but ask around about it. They make a new lining that fits your tub and basically just drop it in to the old one.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pojaco wrote: »
    They make insert shells that just act as an entirely new liner for the tub/shower. Not sure of the cost, but ask around about it. They make a new lining that fits your tub and basically just drop it in to the old one.

These are actually really expensive. We were quoted $3500 to have it done to our tub, and that was with very minimal options (they offer stuff like shelves, ceiling, textures, etc.). If you are renting, get on your landlord to replace the tub. Reglazing might be an option, but this should be something your landlord takes care of either way.

Newton on