As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seven Soldiers!

• hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Guys, I walked by the comic shop today and peed a little bit. This is the most stoked I've been for a single issue of a comic in quite some time.

yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay

hurry up wednesday

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    OH MAN TOMORROW!?

DouglasDanger on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I would be more stoked if I could make sense of half of the stuff.

But then, I'm waiting for the trade. Then, I shall spend a glorious afternoon reading the whole saga.

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2006
    I want an Absolute Seven Soldiers and I want it yesterday.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    I want an Absolute Seven Soldiers and The Invisibles and I want it yesterday.

august on
    edited October 2006
    Oh gosh. Absolute Invisibles. Oh gosh.

oh gosh

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Oh gosh. Absolute Invisibles. Oh gosh.

oh gosh

Making Steve Yeowell's art bigger would only make it look so much worse. Normally I'd be all for making an Absolute Grant Morrison book, but the start of the Invisibles is so blandly drawn that I almost didn't read it.

For me, the Absolute vanity volumes are probaby 80% for the art and 20% for the story.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited October 2006
    I didn't really have a problem with he art. Plus, there's some good stuff in there.

august on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    I didn't really have a problem with he art. Plus, there's some good stuff in there.

Yeah, but have you read Skrull Kill Krew, his Doom Patrol issues, and Sebastian O? It gets old really, really fast.

Tragically, his best work was Zenith... which is the oldest out of all of those books, and not reprinted anymore.

Absolute Seven Soldiers, though? That would be quite awesome. Two volumes of it, probably. I'd love to see oversized Ryan Sook art.

Ed: It's Yeowell Fatigue.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, I've never read his other stuff. I liked the tripy shit when Tom showed up.

august on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Seven Soldiers #1

Wow

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Dammit; they f'd up the shipping distribution for south region.

I'm not geting 7S #1 till next week. AAAAH!

Squashua on
  • HerodotusHerodotus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Is it worth picking this up if I missed all the miniseries and the likes?

Is there an awful lot of backstory to catch up on?

Herodotus on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Herodotus wrote:

The last issue came out today. You can't just read the last issue, especially if it's Grant Morrison. You will be struck blind with confusion.

Heck, from what I hear, ppls that picked it up and followed every iota of the storyline were struck blind anyway.

Squashua on
    edited October 2006
    Man I went to the store here in Etown. The wierd little guy was all nope, just for "customers". He only orders what he is 100% sure to sell, I guess. If you do not have a box subscription/pull list, you are apparently not a customer. Dammit. To hell with that place. I guess I will check the place in Bloomsburg tomorrow on my lunch break.

DouglasDanger on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Herodotus wrote:

Yes. Whether you track down the floppies or the trades, you should wait to read everything in one sitting. Seven Soldiers #1 is practically bursting with detail and pulls a lot of the threads from the miniseries together. It's well worth it, mind you.

Terrorbyte on
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Herodotus wrote:

Yes. Whether you track down the floppies or the trades, you should wait to read everything in one sitting. Seven Soldiers #1 is practically bursting with detail and pulls a lot of the threads from the miniseries together. It's well worth it, mind you.

Bursting with details? More like a clusterfuck of everything (good). I haven't read any Seven Soldiers since the last Frankenstein came out, and I read them as released, once. I've forgot a lot of shit. I've found my new sunday project.

Bad Karma on
    edited October 2006
    Those newsarama preview pages were so awesome. If I cannot find this book tomorrow, I will have to take drastic measures.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:949a343297]Klarion wins. HOT SHEEDA HOEBAGS[/spoiler:949a343297]

Also, holy crap now I have to go back and reread everything.

august on
    edited October 2006
    I really hope we get a Frankenstein series.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2006
    Oh gosh

I'm going to have to reread it a few times, but he did it.

Somehow he did it. He finished it, and it's nearly perfect.

My favorite comic of the whole year, for damn damn damn sure. So many awesome moments.

[spoiler:0b0e25818d]
    "That's okay baby. I'll get to them when we're done kissing."

"Pinnacle of Natural Selection, my ass."

Prophecy moves in for the kill.[/spoiler:0b0e25818d]

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    Are people really picking this up without reading the minseries first? What the hell, people?

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2006
    Are people really picking this up without reading the minseries first? What the hell, people?

Let them buy it. They'll buy the rest after getting lost.

Bad Karma on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm waiting for the trade. :(

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2006
    Everything about this is so perfect. I cannot stop talking about this comic, but nobody is home so I'm telling Cupcake how perfectly everything comes together in the end.

Cupcake is my cat.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Everything about this is so perfect. I cannot stop talking about this comic, but nobody is home so I'm telling Cupcake how perfectly everything comes together in the end.

Cupcake is my cat.

It's ok. Klarion talks to his cat.

Bad Karma on
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

Let them buy it. They'll buy the rest after getting lost.

I guess so. I just wonder about the mentality of such a person. Hopefully this sells well enough to warrant some of the soldiers getting series in the future. I know there was talk of Frankenstein one and maybe a Zatanna one ages ago...

More sales is always a good thing!

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2006
    I want to read "Manhattan Guadian and the Newsboy Legion" and "Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E."

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    I saw that Keith.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So

[spoiler:d6c1eddb90]I wonder how this will effect that upcoming Robin arc with Klarion,[/spoiler:d6c1eddb90]

Furu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    I saw that Keith.

:oops:

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2006
    Furu wrote:
    So

[spoiler:a91903ef2a]I wonder how this will effect that upcoming Robin arc with Klarion,[/spoiler:a91903ef2a]

[spoiler:a91903ef2a]Now that he's an insane sex god with his own private time-travelling army? Yeah, I dunno.[/spoiler:a91903ef2a]

august on
    edited October 2006
    So the whole comic is just scene after scene where I put down the comic and pump my fist and dance around, but one scene that really got me was: [spoiler:4ad64ce128]New York is overrun with Sheeda, the Guardian is leading the charge on horseback, and the withered super-baby newspaper magnate is driving the bus. The tide is turning, a soldier has made the ultimate sacrifice, and Brains, former Newsboy of Nowhere Street exclaims:

"What did I tell you?

We'll beat you somehow."[/spoiler:4ad64ce128]

Hells Yes.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:6ca7b42db8]So uh guys

Is Zor doomed to live out the life of Solomon Grundy for the rest of eternity? Or what's up with that?

Also, I thought Zor = The Terribel Time Tailor, but apparently not. I guess TTTT is more of a equal oppertunity force of doom. Or something.[/spoiler:6ca7b42db8]

august on
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    [spoiler:d6f472623a]So uh guys

Is Zor doomed to live out the life of Solomon Grundy for the rest of eternity? Or what's up with that?

Also, I thought Zor = The Terribel Time Tailor, but apparently not. I guess TTTT is more of a equal oppertunity force of doom. Or something.[/spoiler:d6f472623a]
    [spoiler:d6f472623a]Zatanna defeated Zor, who was the terrible time tailor, at the end of issue four by calling on the seven unknown men, of whom he used to be a member. He was the 'eighth of seven.' I think that was one of the other seven unknown men trapping Zor/TTT inside Solomon Grundy for all enternity after the end of Zatanna #4.

Or really, I think it's all seven of the unknown men, since Williams changed their lighting/color in each panel, which I think could serve to indicate that they're all there.[/spoiler:d6f472623a]

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    there's so many rad little visual tricks in this

like the sewing machine on the first page being one of the hobo trains

or the dc tie tack the mystery man is wearing

this and promethea pretty much cememt jh williams as one of the best artists who has worked in comics

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:

Cupcake is my cat.

You're so high on Morrison, and I know 100% exactly what you mean because I just put it down.

This is basically the polar opposite, the alternate universe twin of the Filth. Seven Soldiers of Victory #1 will go down in history as pure comic book magic. I wonder if JH Williams is the only artist to work with both Moore and Morrison? I know it seems unlikely but I can't think of any other crossover off the top of my head.

I don't know how he does it - or rather, how he does it that well.

[spoiler:ba44d3037a]I COME WITH GOD-SIGHT NOW may be the coolest thing a person can say.

I almost cried when "Did you think I would ever let you fall, young knight?"[/spoiler:ba44d3037a]

I want this one issue in multimedia form, 22.1 Dolby Digital IMAX Surround Image style. I don't think I can talk about it right now without exploding.

The Cow on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The last issue cemented Seven Soldiers as my favorite thing Morrison has written.
    Halfway through the issue I was left thinking "How the fuck are they going to beat the Sheeda, there's so much left to do!" but when it all came together everything fell into place exactly as it should.
    I'd really like to get a Zatanna series out of this.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think ASS might still turn out better than 7S - that wouldn't be the case had JH Williams done the entire series, mind. I'm going to give myself some time and emotional distance before I pass judgment but otherwise yeah, at the moment, I'm feeling Seven Soldiers is the best executed of all Morrison's comic book projects.

If any one character gets an ongoing I'd like to see it be Frankenstein, with maybe the occasional cameo appearance by Shilo Norman.

The Cow on
    edited October 2006
    It's probably my favorite thing Morrison's done as well. It sort of perfectly encapsulates everything that's great about his work into one series.

[spoiler:52c9c88085]The only thing that I don't quite get is the stuff with Mr. Miracle. Why does he do what he does in this issue, other than to make for a utterly fantastic last page?

Looking at it now, and maybe I'm reading too much into it (if that's possible with a Morrison book), I'm trying to piece together the metacommentary running through the whole thing.

Are the Sheeda are 'us'? Comic fans, readers and writers, using Jack Kirby's legacy to 'rape' comic's past to feed us now in the present. Comics are getting so dark and insular, personified maybe as the Sheeda Queen, who's own demise is put in motion by Spyder. The comics of now are going to destroy themselves, maybe? I mean obviously not all comics are rapefests, but one could definitely argue that they're getting progressively darker. Heck, over in Wildcats, Morrison is talking about what truly 'adult' superheroes would really be like.

And then, Mr. Miracle is reborn in a psychadelic color burst, bringing color back into the universe. On another comics board I frequent, somebody called that last page a "mission statement." Out of the ashes of the past comics are changing? Color and happiness and fun are coming back, as evidenced by what Morrison is trying to do in Batman, bring some fun back into Bruce Wayne's life. Maybe that's why Mr. Miracle is there, Space-jesus here to save DC from itself?

Yet it's ironic that if that's what Morrison is trying to kick-start with Seven Soldiers, he does it in the same way as the 'villains', taking these elements from the past and making something new. The seven unknown men, even Zor, are all of them bald, crazy chaos magician Grant Morrison. Not only does he start it all, but he finishes it too?

I dunno, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that's what I got out of the issue when I read it again today.[/spoiler:52c9c88085]

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif