As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Repopulation] Sci-fi Sandbox with No Levels and No Classes

HubkaHubka Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in MMO Extravaganza
I made this thread last year when I started playing The Repopulation. I'm editing the OP now since there were not many replies.

Let me start by saying the developers for this game are incredible. They respond pretty quickly to posts (not every single post of course) both on the steam forums and the official ones. That's not all though, in game there will be an active GM on nearly every hour. They are friendly, helpful GM's too.

Let me know if you want information added or have questions!

Main Website: https://www.therepopulation.com/
Buy it on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/322300/
World Map: http://i.imgur.com/AQOIisi.jpg
Crafting Database: http://aena.at/craftmap/
Wiki: http://therepopulation.wikia.com/wiki/The_Repopulation_Wiki

The news announcement here is about the game's future and it's transition to the Unreal Engine.
https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/275-the-future-of-the-repopulation

Intro: When I first started playing I quit within 6 hours due to some bugs, the crafting system being overwhelming, and dying a significant number of times trying to do things outside or travel past the starting city. Then, the next day I came back and gave it another look. The crafting system was explained to me by another player, I got used to some of the bugs and a couple work arounds, and combat wise learned to run from battle when I had 2-3 mobs on me.
I'm not saying this will be your experience, but that's how things worked out for me.

Some basic stuff:
  • Quality grades for produced goods go from F0 to A9, there is no E (it doesn't Exist)
  • Vehicles are bought from the AH and made by other players. Do not buy them from NPC's unless you want to spend lots of credits.
    Get them in the mail. Get it in your bag. Double click it to create it. Press \ to access your garage.
    To make an alias to spawn in your new ride on your hotbar, go to an empty hotbar slot and right click. Name the alias slot, type in the command /spawn vehicle 1, and choose an icon.
  • To send a tell to someone type /tell name, words (the comma is very important)

Now! On to features!

Nations and Cities
  1. A nation can be formed by any player that has 10,000 credits and using the "/nation create" command. You can choose to be allied with one of the two starting nations OWON (One World One Nation) or FPR (Free People's Republic) or you can go Rogue and be open to attack by every side.
  2. Your new nation will need a Control Center. It has to be built by other players and purchase the blueprint, or, made by yourself with hopefully resources drawn from your nation friends.
  3. Cities have levels they can progress through, NPCs that you can create for certain purposes (like item turn ins, missions, shops)
    Happiness levels too! If your NPCs of your city aren't getting their needs met your city won't reach a higher level.
  4. Underground levels are a thing for each city created. Think of them as a huge basement where you can basically build an entirely new city below the one above ground.
  5. Mayors are assigned to each city by the Nation creator. They deal with NPC citizen happiness.
  6. Five levels of "Let's be nice or kills these dudes" to select from Ally to Nemesis.
  7. 99 custom Ranks for your nation each with their own name and setting.

Missions
  • Branching outcomes = Example = Say you're tasked with finding a new pet for a lonely soldier out on patrol. You might be asked to go to the local animal shelter to pick one out or have the option of (if you have taming skill) going out into the wild and tame one. \
  • Generated outcomes = Level a skill and you will be given missions tailored to that skill. There's 75 skills, plus crafting, so you will become an individual no matter what you choose. You level tailoring, you'll get missions to make tailoring goods.

Skills
  • First of all, no levels. There is no max level. No one's racing to 50 to get to endgame content. (There are dungeons to an extent.) You are your skills, which there are 75 of with 14 tiers in each.
  • You don't need to even touch combat. Want to craft and only craft? Stay in town and place work orders through the digital (accessible anywhere) Auction House and have others collect mats you need for prices you set. Mail is also digital and will come straight to your character via your PDA.
  • Want to gather a variety of mining, tree, and fish nodes? Maybe fight some beasties in the wilds? Then pick from Melee: Blades, Axes, or Clubs. Shield... or not and Ranged Weaponry that goes from Automatic(long range AoE), Rifle (burst damage), Aerosol (DoT flame throwers), Shockgun (ZAPOW), and Pistol(s) (balanced damage)
  • You want better abilities from your skill line? You won't earn them by leveling up, no sir. You gotta do missions for them (any mission type) after reaching a number cap in that skill's progression.
  • You'll also get SI or skill imprints from basically everything you do. This allows you to put skill points into abilities at a Skill Imprinting Machine. Like, if you want to learn Animal Handling, but there's no trainer for it in the starting city you're in (there's one in the tutorial area) stick a point of SI into that thing and you'll start to get base skills from it as rewards from missions.

Fittings
This stuff is pretty important. See, your armor and weapons? They're more or less cosmetic shells with base stats. Fittings go into slots in those shells that give them a wide, customizable, variation of stats and bonuses that make you, you. In other words, if you want to not die against the alien menace out there or other players... you'll need armor fittings to resist damage, melee or firearm ones to increase weapon damage, and others for boosting things like endurance recovery. Think of it like materia/sockets, a bit in comparison.

Pets
People who play MMO's like pets right? How about 3 types? Tamed, Genetically Engineered, and Robotic.

Tamed - Find a baby, tame it, it's yours for 4 charges. Feed it, heal it when it loses a charge, watch it grow up over time. It loses all it's charges it's dead for good. Tamed pets can take real life days (even a week!) to finally raise to Mature levels, so you'll probably get attached to them. You may or may not get them to Alpha status, it's kind of random. Make sure to feed them every hour and keep your veterinary skill leveled by making pet food. (If you don't have proper veterinary skill equal to the pet's level you won't be able to heal them.)

Name them by selecting them and /pet name all lower case with one space. (naming works for all pet types)

Genetically Engineered - This uses the Genetic Engineering crafting skill and lots of mats like DNA and tissue samples you'll get from killing monsters out in the field. You basically create stacks of single use monsters that can damage/heal/and tank primarily. At higher GE skill ranks you can begin to create hybrids that do stuff like tank and DPS at the same time.

Robot - This uses the Robotics crafting skill. They take a lot of parts to make and you'll start off by making crappy models, but if you keep at it you can build truly superior machines that can tank bosses and heal you so well you'll almost never fall in battle.

All pets have different thresholds which you can have up to 3 out at once. Number of robots and GE pets are determined by your skill in that crafting type and tamed ones are equal to your taming skill level. Potentially you can have one of each type at your command.

Hubka on

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity- is Steam the only way to get into this now?

• Options
    Out of curiosity- is Steam the only way to get into this now?

There's still a stand alone client, but Steam is preferred in terms of ease of use. I don't know much about the stand alone client myself because I got it from Steam when I first started.

• Options
    I personally detest Steam so I avoid it completely. Does this mean I won't be able to play when it launches?

Also, is this going to be B2P or subscription-based?

• Options
    I don't think they would phase out the stand alone client completely, because players started with that when it wasn't on steam.
    The below is a link to the stand alone client download page. I couldn't get it to work for me, but eh, there it is.
    https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8710

It's F2P with one time buy membership packages and cash shop. They stated that subscription models wouldn't be practical, but we'll see if they reconsider based on fan demand.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Got this a few weeks ago myself. On the subjects of skill ups, you get skill up for everything. Shoot something, you get a skill up for your weapon, and occasionally a skill up for combat in general, and then skill ups for damage resistance for whatever you just shot returns fire with. You get skill ups for harvesting corpses, a different skill up for harvesting plants, or a different skill up for harvesting trees, etc. And then more skill ups for processing whatever you just harvested. Whatever you do in the game, you will get better at doing.

Combat can be tricky, as very little out there in the wild likes you, and it all wants to kill you, so if you aren't careful you will get swarmed and slaughtered. Soloing is tough, but possible if you are careful. Grouping is definately encouraged, you'll even get missions that will flat out tell you 'you do this mission alone yousa gonna die'

Crafting is super complex. In almost every other MMO you can craft by yourself. Here it is almost impossible. I decided I would craft myself a gun. But I needed to learn some robotics to make a part the gun required. But I couldn't make that robotics part until I learned some hacking to make the electrical part the robotics part required. But I couldn't make that hacking part until I learned metalworking to make the metal part the electric part required.... it's turtles all the way down. You really do need to decided exactly which stage of crafting you want to specialize in and do that step, buying what you need for other steps from other people and selling off what you made to people who require what you produced. There is no Iron Bar + Leather Hide = sword. So it has the potential to create a robust interconnected player driven economy.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    That crafting thing intrigues me.

So is it only possible to play now, if invited to the beta?

• Options
    That crafting thing intrigues me.

So is it only possible to play now, if invited to the beta?

It's in alpha 4 and you have to buy your way in via Steam for $20 as far as I know.

• Options
    Hm, guess I'll pass, then. :) Thanks for the info!

• Options
    Hm, guess I'll pass, then. :) Thanks for the info!

No problem. I hope you find a good MMO!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    alright. I've been following the repopulation for a long time, and I see it has a flash sale for $13 atm. Can someone verify crafting for me, how similar is it to SWG? My favorite part of SWG was that your base materials had stats, and they affected the weapon you made. Is that something in the game, or is it just super in depth recipes to make the final product?

I might pick this up because $13.

edit: I totally picked this up for $13.

from what i've seen (i haven't looked at it in about a year or more) the crafting system has changed a bit, and there are modules now that grant stat bonuses, i like this, and I assume every item that is crafted to go into the final item changes stats, so I am super excited now to try it out!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    whats the difference between silver and gold, and anyone have an idea on how odorous the micro transactions will be?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Silver Package - Name Reservation, 1 Repop Token, Silver membership, and Early Access
    Gold Package - Name Reservation, 1 Repop Token, Silver and Gold membership, 1 day Head Start, and Early Access

At some point before release the Memberships will be enabled in game and offer the following: Additional Character Slots, Inventory Slots, Bank Slots, Shared Bank Slots, Mission Slots, and Auction Slots. The exact quantity of these slots are still being determined based on usage and feedback.

Not entirely sure but from the little bit I played last night the crafting system is super cool, although the game has thrown a ridiculous amount of quests at me considering its a sandbox. I am going to try and figure some more stuff out tonight. It would be cool to get a few more people playing so we could form a group of sorts, sandbox mmos aren't a ton of fun unless you play with other people!

edit: anyone starting out this is a pretty well written guide to give you some idea on whats happening. I dove in head first and got confused pretty quickly, after reading this I have a better sense of what to do https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3526

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    I downloaded this just last night, tried it out for a few minutes. Since this is early access, I'm assuming whatever progress we make here won't make it to the actual launch?

• Options
    OP updated for this year. I haven't been on for some time, but I'm coming back to the game and the forums now.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I downloaded this just last night, tried it out for a few minutes. Since this is early access, I'm assuming whatever progress we make here won't make it to the actual launch?

It's confirmed there will be at least one wipe before launch like other MMO's do after beta tests end.

Hubka on
  • Options
    Here's the news announcement: https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/275-the-future-of-the-repopulation
    Also sticking it in the OP.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    Alright, I am seriously suspicious of your motivations here, so I'd take a break from posting about this game if I were you.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    the game has been shut down "temporarily" and they shifted resources to making some spinoff game with the same assets.

Sounds like the company is floundering.

This discussion has been closed.