As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy] is focused on Fighting Games and Freemium funfests

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Do we know if the new Dissidia will come to a console?

I played waaaaaaay too much of the first two.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Am I remembering correctly that the Steam version of VII is being ported to PS4? Why am I having a hard time finding info online and why can't I preorder on Amazon?

Also, on the topic of VII, have we determined if Aeris is a good replacement for WHM in Record Keeper?

Am I better off using my XP eggs on Aeris or Paladin Cecil (assuming I get him).

The Dark Knight boss has destroyed my party 3 times.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Do we know if the new Dissidia will come to a console?

I played waaaaaaay too much of the first two.

Arcade-exclusive for a year, with periodic roster updates, and then a PS4 port with the full roster.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Can you really go "lol mobile game" when the last 10 pages have been nothing but praise for a mobile game? :)

Yes.

Record Keeper is an exception, not a rule.

Have none of you played Chaos Rings? :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Dungeon is VII. Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth only until I unlocked Aerith.

Been running it for the orbs obviously. Event lasts a really long time. Pretty sure you can get all the goodies.

Or I'm bad at math.

• ff7007ff7007 Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    PSA for anyone running the new event in FFRK: the boss is susceptible to stop, and Aerith's limit break (which will almost be certainly charged by then) applied stop. Can make it easier for you if you're on the cusp of getting through the dungeon, particularly on hard.

PSN: Rauhy FFRK: 9YYP Steam: Rauhy Battle.net: Rauhy#1977
    Does Slow work on him?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yay! Got Paladin Cecil.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Grats @Lucascraft .

Question...how useful are the following abilities? Watera, Shiva, Ramuh, Drain Sword, Curaga, Haste and Quickness? I really don't know where to spend all these orbs I'm farming.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Take into account the cost of honing them as well.

• BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Shiva is useful for a couple of the elite dungeon bosses (Baigan, Mom Bomb).

Curaga is a must-craft.

So summons beside Shiva not worth it? How about Gravity?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    gravity for wind temple boss

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Can you really go "lol mobile game" when the last 10 pages have been nothing but praise for a mobile game? :)

Yes.

I enjoyed what little I played of Chaos Rings. I really should get back into it and finish it... or should I skip straight to the sequels?

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »

Yes.

I enjoyed what little I played of Chaos Rings. I really should get back into it and finish it... or should I skip straight to the sequels?

I bought one of the games, but I don't think it was the first one. Either way, it just kinda felt like a slow PS2-era JRPG without much personality or compelling gameplay. Granted, I didn't play it very long, but it definitely failed to grab me at all.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Gravity doesn't feel necessary. You can brute force your way past the Wind Shrine boss (just be mindful of the 7k counter attacks). All summons are good for a couple of fights, but as you've noticed, summon orbs don't really drop from anything but events, so upgrading them is a nuisance.

Shiva is fine for Elite Mombomb.
    Ramuh is fine for Elite Figaro Castle/Imperial Camp
    Ifrit is fine for Elite Vargas.

You can probably brute force all these encounters with *ara spells, but the summon makes it easy to hit them all once with a singular big blast.

As for Curaga, up until now, only one person was capable of casting it. Aerith being the second. I don't know how "mandatory" it is, but it certainly can't hurt. Cura on Cecil/Rydia seems to be sufficient enough for most Elites.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

Yes.

No.

Didn't they make a compilation port of the (two?) Chaos Rings games for Vita and then not localize it at all, though? Because that might've helped.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    I wonder why Record Keeper uses the most recent versions of IV and V for screenshots, but uses the first version of VI.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Yes.

No.

Didn't they make a compilation port of the (two?) Chaos Rings games for Vita and then not localize it at all, though? Because that might've helped.

Yeah, there's a Vita release of the entire series (I, Omega, II, and III) but no word on when/if it's coming to the states/non Asian regions.

Even though it's by Square I think this is OT though?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I wonder why Record Keeper uses the most recent versions of IV and V for screenshots, but uses the first version of VI.

Maybe because the sprite work from FFRK is essentially FF6's?

Slowly scrolling through the Aerith exchange. Why, why does it go back to the top after each exchange? I wonder if this would be easier on a computer Android emulator. @KiTA ?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So I barely got tifa from the shinra event at lvl 12ish but now that i've upgraded some gear I feel like I can get dark cecil before the end of the day (just started so i'll run out of time I know).

my general strategy has just been level all my 2 stars using 1 star gear. seems to be doing ok for me so far

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Takel wrote: »
    She can toss out attack magic as well as packing Boost. Or be the Cure carrier and have Boost to buff up your attackers without needing to drag along Tidus/Wakka/the Bard.
    That and she has more HP and def than the stock White Mage so yeah...

She's by far and away the best healer we'll have for a long time. It's a bit odd she has other abilities but I suppose it makes sense given FF7 and all that.
    Grats @Lucascraft .

Question...how useful are the following abilities? Watera, Shiva, Ramuh, Drain Sword, Curaga, Haste and Quickness? I really don't know where to spend all these orbs I'm farming.

Drain Sword does 170% normal damage, heals Cloud, and can be used on anything including Undead.

There isn't a single Spellblade ability that isn't absolutely amazing.

KiTA on
    Thanks for the replies! I'm currently upgrading Double Cut for my attackers. I'll probably just keep honing Cura (although Rank 4 costs are sick!) while working on getting Power and Armor Breaks then. Seems like Fira and Thundara are good enough spells for now.

Does anyone want to create the next Final Fantasy thread? Otherwise I will do it, though it will probably just be updates to Info about type 0 and XV and maybe a section on new Dissidia Info and FFRK info.

is there some sort of getting up and running guide to FFRK? or anyone have any basic getting started tips, focus on these things, etc?

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    So I barely got tifa from the shinra event at lvl 12ish but now that i've upgraded some gear I feel like I can get dark cecil before the end of the day (just started so i'll run out of time I know).

my general strategy has just been level all my 2 stars using 1 star gear. seems to be doing ok for me so far

You should definitely be able to make it. Just make sure you have Rydia and Kain with you and you should get through the stage.

• ff7007ff7007 Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    So summons beside Shiva not worth it? How about Gravity?
    Gravity can break the 9999 damage limit, so it can be valuable for bosses that are affected by it. I think that the 2nd boss in FFVI is one such example, knocked a solid 10k off him with it.

PSN: Rauhy FFRK: 9YYP Steam: Rauhy Battle.net: Rauhy#1977
    is there some sort of getting up and running guide to FFRK? or anyone have any basic getting started tips, focus on these things, etc?

Go through the Classic Dungeons in order of ascending difficulty first, because this is the best way to increase your total stamina. Generally speaking, you should be able to handle Daily Dungeons and other events with comparable stamina costs to the Classic dungeons you're clearing easily (i.e. if you can clear stages that cost 3 stamina, you can handle Easy Event Dungeons).

Record and Relic Synergy give huge bonuses to equipment and characters that match the world you're in. With this in mind, keep a look out for weapons and armor from FF IV, V, VI, and VII as you move through the Classic Dungeons (there is no FF X equipment). You'll be able to upgrade and combine 1 star items from these worlds fairly easily to 3 star items, and they give a HUGE bonus. Knives, Swords, and Armor are best for your melee characters, Rods for offensive casters, Staves for defensive casters, and Robes for caster armor.

Save up 50 Mithral for the 11 for 10 Relic draws. As you build sets of equipment for each world, you might have to increase your item inventory, but for the most part, only put Mithral towards the bulk Rare Relic draw. All the other uses for it are set up to take your money.

Early on you can power through most content with 5 decent melee characters, but eventually you're going to want a healer and/or caster. Casters suffer from two problems. In general they are a pain in the butt to keep alive, even in the back row, and they have a limited number of times they can attack effectively (though their spells tend to be much stronger when they do attack). Tyro makes a good healer because he can wear heavy armor and use Staves to increase his MND (how much he heals for).

There's a lot of good resources on the internet. The official strategy site for FFRK is actually pretty good, and there's fan made spreadsheets with most item locations.

One final trick. Most bosses drop better items than normal enemies, but they are low % drops. Instead of having to run the entire dungeon again, pause your game when you start a boss fight, turn off you're internet access, then finish the fight. If the boss doesn't drop the item, force close the app, turn your internet back on, then re-enter the game. The game will ask if you want to start where you left off. Answer no, and you can replay the boss's stage for another try at the item (you need to spend stamina again, but it beats running the whole dungeon over).

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Which is better, the synergy from a character wearing gear that matches the world, or the synergy from a character wearing gear that matches his/her own personal number?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Any ideas on whether Comet is worth the materials to create?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Which is better, the synergy from a character wearing gear that matches the world, or the synergy from a character wearing gear that matches his/her own personal number?

In order to get a bonus the gear has to match the world. For a character to get a bonus his number has to match the world. There is no bonus just for matching a character and the gear he's wearing.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

In order to get a bonus the gear has to match the world. For a character to get a bonus his number has to match the world. There is no bonus just for matching a character and the gear he's wearing.

Huh, I could've sworn one of the help tips said that (for example) VII gear on Cloud is good regardless of what world you're in. Must've misinterpreted it. Good to know, thanks. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Thanks for the tips. I'm waiting on stamina regen to do the boss level for dark Cecil and that's probably as far as I'll get this event. Then I'll go back to clearing the worlds. Well, have to get aerith too.

I'll have to pay better attention to what I upgrade though. I used a kunai as upgrade fodder before seeing everyone here loving on them.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Kunai are pretty lousy outside of FFIV worlds.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Managed to nab Dark Cecil an hour before the event ends I think. That last fight was way tougher than anything before it. Took out WHM and Tyro in the first round then it was a battle of attrition between bag dude and Kain/Cloud since Rydia couldn't do shit to him.

• HounHoun Registered User regular

Yes.

You will never get me to seriously consider my phone a gaming device. It can kinda work for certain game types that don't need much in the way of precision input, but I'm not going to waste battery on my most vital link to the outside world when I have mobile gaming devices right here.

Also, there's the fact that microtransactions, no matter how tastefully implemented, piss me off and fuck anyone preying on people with that shit. It's fucking immoral.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKTtAGZwquc

Fffffffuck the Midgar level changes to Meteorfall during the progression of battle.

God fucking dammit that looks so good.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Yes.

You will never get me to seriously consider my phone a gaming device. It can kinda work for certain game types that don't need much in the way of precision input, but I'm not going to waste battery on my most vital link to the outside world when I have mobile gaming devices right here.

Also, there's the fact that microtransactions, no matter how tastefully implemented, piss me off and fuck anyone preying on people with that shit. It's fucking immoral.

You must not play any videogames anymore then. DLC is a micro transaction. I can't think of a single game that doesn't have some kind of dlc. Must suck not getting to play videogames anymore. Though there are some good classics.

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Huh, did a couple Relic pulls and got a 5* Genji Shield (IV). That'll come in handy I think.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's pretty disingenuous to compare freemium game microtransactions(what he's criticizing) directly to the DLC of games that use it to add meaningful or optional content to their games. Also, not every game has DLC but I'm you know that too.

This discussion has been closed.