As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    The more I look at it and compare it to the other models the more i think my main problem is a slight miscast on the gun holding arm. I've got a few ideas to fix the issue.

Shit not fitting together properly is 50% of the reason my copy of Operation Icestorm sits on a shelf until someone takes it or I throw it out.

I've only put together the Nomads but most of it was ok. One guy I had to clip and bend his arm then tidy up with green stuff to actually get the arm to hold the gun correctly.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I still haven't started on the chaplain yet. Now I'm changing the bases on my Battle for Macragge marines and getting out the space marine casualties.

EDIT: Bought my ffirst drop pod, too. Is it better to paint that before assembling?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    @valhalla130 regarding drop pods, there's a really great assembly guide out there. I think it was on From the Warp, but I'm at work so I can't check.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    my internet is crapping out, but I would highly advise building in 3 parts:

1. Base + all doors
    2. vertical pieces (supports? the big ones) + center engine
    3. center computer+harnesses.

3 can also be left out entirely, many people do.

My advice is to airbrush the heck out of it, because I hand painted 3 drop pods and I wanted to kill myself (line highlighted, what a bad idea). There is a ton of surface area to cover. My advice is to use liberal amounts of weathering techniques to get detail with minimal effort. Washes, powders, chipping medium, go nuts.

Also, be prepared for step 2 to be a major pain, there is an overly huge gap between where the support struts attach, and the engine pieces they slot between. You could always gap fill with some greenstuff to make it more sturdy, though once you do final assembly to the base (after painting) the stability is fine.

Also, geth is super fast on the "awesome" button, though i think he meant to awesome the "kill myself" line.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    After three tries I've got something I'm starting to like on this test model. But I'm looking for some advice. I feel that the gray is just too gray or the green is just too green. Or something. Maybe if I did a darker gray?

Base Colors:
    r43chxk0jvih.jpg

Wash:
    wzsp03hrs4cr.jpg
    l1js7z1tulzf.jpg

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The grey looks like unpainted plastic. I would mix in a small amount of black with some boltgun and give them a very dark metal look. The eyes really get drawn to the grey, because it's so flat compared to all the other shineyness.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    @alqadim how's your Khaijira going? I've got the base green with highlights done on mine, but the scales...there's like a square foot of bone scales and spurs to paint. Just putting two layers of base coating down is taking forever.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Now that I finally finished the arms on the scouts (after a suitable recovery period,) last night and tonight I rebased my old Battle for Macragge space marines on 32mm bases. Tonight I also drilled out the barrels on my 5 scouts, and my ten man squad. So, I haven't done what I intended to do, which was paint my chaplain this week, but once I get these two squads primed and basecoated, they'll match the other two squads. Or the marines will. I decided to leave the scouts on 25mm bases. And then I can start painting in earnest.

I think tomorrow I might glue some brass etch Fist symbols onto some kneepads and backpacks just to make these guys fit in more. They look static compared to the newer Marine models. I wonder if I should mix them in with the other squads so they don't stand out so much, or just have one squad of static-looking marines?

001_zpsvynqusnt.jpg

I'll paint the chaplain next week. Oh, and in the background there, you can see the two marine casualties I did up on some leftover resin bases. I plan to paint them as Fists and use them as objective markers. Just one more to desprue and glue together.

EDIT: I didn't notice it before, but I have to find a banner to put on that sergeant so he'll match the others.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    Seam lines on the Skitarii troops are a bit of a ball ache. :evil:

A thousand times this. These are the first non-Ork models I've bought in 10 years and they are such a pain in the rear.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I believe you have till Sunday before the extreme mocking begins val.

Got my wee forgeworld order in. I look forward to scrubbing the bjesus out of these parts. They really don't fuck around with the release agent eh.

J on
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Managed to pin my nomad in the end. Involved buying a 0.3mm drill and hand making some pins by shaving some staples then careful tweezer work.

Result is:
    20150417_181333.jpg

Still getting used to 28mm non heroic

Prime on
    So I had planned to paint my chaplain by this Sunday. My hobby ADD has sort of prevented me from getting started and I cannot still still long enough to actually get that done in this time frame, but I have come up with a list of things I want to get done.

I'm going to:

1. Add a banner to that Macragge sergeant so he matches everything else.
    2. Add some Fist brass etch to that squad and possibly the scout squad.

That should get done tonight/ tomorrow afternoon depending.

3. Assemble the last space marine casualty.
    4. Paint the chaplain.
    5. Assemble the remaining bikes (unless i have to buy more) with special weapons.
    6. Assemble the devastators.
    7. Prime and base coat the scouts and Macragge marines, the devastators and bikes.
    8 Then start painting all the marine models.

At some point after that, I'll start on vehicles.

Granted, all this won't be done by Sunday, but this is the direction I'm leaning in now as to how I will progress.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    so forgeworld death korps of krieg have a lot of thin breakable bits that will snap off when you clean them

Its a catch22 right. I might have to use something stronger to clean this shite off.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Not strictly painting and more modeling, but does anyone know of any "tall ship" miniatures? Looking for something that is more realistic and everything I have found is quite heavily fantasy (Uncharted Seas etc)

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Sails of Glory is the only thing that comes to mind for me, but I'm not exactly well versed on the topic ...

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    GHQ does Napoleon ship stuff, in an decent scale. Scalecreep does amazing work for all naval stuff, their Nap minis are 1/1200 or 1/2400.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    @alqadim how's your Khaijira going? I've got the base green with highlights done on mine, but the scales...there's like a square foot of bone scales and spurs to paint. Just putting two layers of base coating down is taking forever.

I've not mad a ton of project, between working out, school, work and fatherly duties, I haven had almost no time, that being said I did recently re-arrange my work space to make it more convenient for me to airbrush/paint/study/work all relatively easily.

New workstation and boardgame/miniature wall (the rest of the games are on the other wall of shelves out in my board/wargame room
    9EF62B92-36B6-4497-BA87-C7CB0237C6E4_zpsfibjvnwo.jpg
    3009272A-22C9-4BED-8D1D-F6B9D689678B_zpsb0sb0pnz.jpg

That being said, I did get another coat on him, and I am mixing up the lighter coat I want to blend in on the armor plates so there is a chance that I might get some more work done on him this weekend. I just finished getting the dragon from dragons dont share prepped and put some base purple on my jaberwockey
    2B9DAEC4-6E36-4B3F-B15C-1C322CC958D1_zpsusi50ciz.jpg

Quarter to 11. I decide now is the right time, but I need something to let parts sit in water. Model sprues aren't small ... What will work, what will work ...
    Ah. Yes. I think that might just do it ...
    CkjDNxi.jpg

Number of roasts cooked: 1
    Number of models cleaned: 1
    This pan is leading a very non-standard life so far.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    aqadim...tell me more about your paint rack

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    aqadim...tell me more about your paint rack

@Dayspring it's a games & gears acrylic paint rack.. Actually I have one up top and one below. 4 rows on each one I love them. Mine was one of the original prototypes I think the newer ones are slightly smaller

http://www.gamesandgears.co.uk/hobbygearspaintracktwinset.aspx#sthash.t1C4vK18.dpbs

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    A couple more Malifaux rezzers finished up. I just have one more nurse to paint, and then all my McMouring crew is done.

First up is the flesh construct:
    c24nBED.jpg

Next is Yin, the Penanggalan. I'm putting her in spoiler because she is a head attached to a bunch of entrails. I don't think she is that gross (especially how the pic turned out), but my wife can't look at her.
    r3ovYaR.jpg

edited April 2015
    Looking top notch :)

So this is the direction my dudes seem to be heading. Yay or Nay?

ogAzcpE.jpg

J on
    I love it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Get fuuuuuuuucked, JJJJJJJ

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm trying real hard to hate you to death, @J.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    A bold color choice for mechanicus over the traditional red, J.

I have no choice but to refer to your skitarii as "mechasmurfs" from now on.

(For reals, though, looks fantastic.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited April 2015
    J wrote: »
    Looking top notch :)

So this is the direction my dudes seem to be heading. Yay or Nay?

ogAzcpE.jpg
    Unlike some other denizens here, I have nothing but love for your work. Wish I could actually meet you and just spend some time seeing you work. I feel like I'm at a point where words can only go so far and I just need to see someone "do it right" to actually learn where to go from here.
    (Yes, I know we all actually love J, but it's weird that the defacto response to him posting is becoming "Well fuck ...")

ArcticLancer on
    What? I was just wishing him plenty of sexual intercourse!

<3 I assure you watching me work would be very uneventful and a complete waste of a ticket to Scotland.

I've got his other arm on now. Right over his carefully painted chest! Very pleased I managed to get a thin line of white into the visor too. It was bothering me.

• tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    So I'm buying a house soon and once I move in there's an office/fun room that I'll be using as my "trophy" room, question is what type of desk and paint organizer doodads do you guys use since I'll actually have a dedicated place to paint

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    @J That blue made me weep tears of joy.

• JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    Thanks J. I was planning on painting my cloaks blue as well. You've shown that it works.

Total jelly of your mad skills.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    What? I was just wishing him plenty of sexual intercourse!

Me too!

With himself.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    (Yes, I know we all actually love J, but it's weird that the defacto response to him posting is becoming "Well fuck ...")

That tends to happen when you're painting something that makes Picasso actually look good and he shows something that makes Michelangelo look like an amatuer.

I assure you, I doubt anyone actually harbours any ill feelings for him.

Alright, J, you beautiful mofo, I just wanted to make sure you realize I love your work and never stop posting it here.

...OR ELSE!

We love you, J. Totally, deeply, madly.

I mean, we love your work. Yeah, that's it.

Seriously, if there was any doubt that we love what you do, please rest assured it was not intentional on our part. I love seeing you guys post beautiful things that make me want to get better. I act like it's demoralizing sometimes, out of some weird twisted sense of humor, but I've learned more from you guys that I ever have. You've either shown me how to do things I never would have thought of, or pointed me in the direction to learn these things.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    To be clear, it was less that I (Or I'm sure J himself) thought anyone actually harbored hatred for how awesome he is. More what I wanted to curb was that it was kinda becoming our thing to post "Well fuck." whenever he shared, even though jokingly. For some people that can get shitty if it happens long enough, and I really don't want J to feel shitty or less inclined to share his work.
    I love this community. It's one of the most genuine, honest and welcoming ones I've ever seen for painting miniatures. So I'm just wearing my heart on my sleeve for you guys. <3

This discussion has been closed.