As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I hope it's good because nothing is worse than that sinking feeling you get when a game you are psyched for fails you.

Yeah, that sucks.

The issues he mentioned with combat...
    I'll try to be optimistic for us here...

Teammate AI occasionally being retarded is something I'm really used to in games.
    After playing Earth Defense Force, there's a chance it could be almost endearing. So long as they're shouting something very gung-ho and excitedly stupid while acting like it.
    There's a good chance the majority of us will be better at the game than the reviewer (take THAT reviewers everywhere! I think you all can be shitty gamers sometimes!) and we'll do a better job using the team commands to keep our buddies' in line.

Enemies hitting me off radar? I'll do my best to pretend "I've been ambushed!" and try to take it in stride.
    If it was an enormously bad problem, it would have been complained about more than it was.

RPG elements being a little thin? It's still got shooter mechanics in it, and quite frankly I don't think I would mind a complete lack of level up systems so long as the weapons are nice and the storyline is killer stuff.

I find it hard to be... positive. Someone pat me on my e-back!

I'm just going to be frank, if the RPG elements are that thin coming from Bioware I'm going to be pissed off.

"The deep character and weapon customization can create some lethal and amusing blends, but after a few hours, you'll have seen it all. The gameplay is certainly fun, and it controls admirably, but it doesn't live up to the large stage the story sets or the standards you've come to expect from action games or RPGs."

Doesn't live up to action games or rpgs.... like... that sounds fucking TERRIBLE. Yet he gushes about how awesome it is...

I don't know how a Bioware game can 'show you everything in a few hours'...
    There are different character builds, and the game's probably 100 hours long.

I'll revise.

"You'll have seen everything in a couple hundred hours. By your third playthrough you'll have a solid idea of what every character type plays like, or you could make multiple characters and take them through the first mission to get a shallow idea of each."

I dunno.
    Game looks sick, anyway.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The RPG system doesn't look to have a very diverse set of skills per class. This is what worries me most.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it really seems to me like this is a bullshit review of someone who didn't really play the whole thing, just got enough of a feel to get a review out there. he knows the game's gonna be huge so it got a high score, but he didn't like a lot of it, possibly because it's not his preferred genre, possibly because time wasn't really put into it... and of course possibly because it's got problems.

eitehr way, this review really doesn't seem like it can help in any way, so I'll leave myself how I was before. anticipating a game that will probably be awesome.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This has probably been mentioned already, but 9.75 out of 10? What the fuck? Do they really need to rate games on a one-thousand-point scale? What would it have taken for Mass Effect to score 9.76? And I thought the hundred-point scale was retarded.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    This has probably been mentioned already, but 9.75 out of 10? What the fuck? Do they really need to rate games on a one-thousand-point scale? What would it have taken for Mass Effect to score 9.76? Or 9.8?

I think... not certain but i think it's more like 9.25, 9.5, 9.75, 10

Variable on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This has probably been mentioned already, but 9.75 out of 10? What the fuck? Do they really need to rate games on a one-thousand-point scale? What would it have taken for Mass Effect to score 9.76? Or 9.8?

Game Informer has always used a scale based on quarters of a point.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This has probably been mentioned already, but 9.75 out of 10? What the fuck? Do they really need to rate games on a one-thousand-point scale? What would it have taken for Mass Effect to score 9.76? And I thought the hundred-point scale was retarded.

It works on quarters of a point, and is actualyl a good balance between accuracy and differentiating between games.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am so excited for this game. I don't care what review score it gets or who's paid the most to write the most gushing, over the top review. I want this game so bad.

Part of what seems to concern some people is that if you compare your options for customization to something like, say, NWN2 (with hundreds of feats, something like 30 classes and races, two dozen skills) Mass Effect hardly looks like an RPG at all. But Oblivion only had 21 skills and what, ten races? That was the full extent of your customization options in Oblivion.

What BioWare seems to be doing (judging solely from that review, other info I've read online, and sheer speculation) is looking at the first two letters in RPG: role-playing. I hope, I sincerely hope, that this isn't just another hack'n'slash (run'n'gun?) action/adventure game with stat growth and experience points tacked on like every single RPG released in the last three or four years. This could be a return to form for BioWare and a challenge to every other RPG developer to focus on getting into your characters and the world rather than focusing on your stats and equipment.

God I want this game.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    my biggest fear about this game is that its just going to be an upgraded KOTOR with a non Star Wars story.

The supposed action elements in the game are hopefully not just a gimmick.

like others have said...hope this isn't just another hack and slash.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »

There aren't any melee weapons in the game so you won't be doing either of those.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I hope it's good because nothing is worse than that sinking feeling you get when a game you are psyched for fails you.

Bioware hasn't let us, or at least me, down yet, and I think 9.75 qualifies as good so far.

Did you not play Jade Empire?

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

There aren't any melee weapons in the game so you won't be doing either of those.

It can still be hack 'n slash.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jade empire was fucking awesome.

The art direction, great atmosphere, diverse cast of charicters, fun (albiet simple) fighting. Whats the problem?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    my biggest fear about this game is that its just going to be an upgraded KOTOR with a non Star Wars story.

The supposed action elements in the game are hopefully not just a gimmick.

Well, from what I know of the game it's one that will really shine on multiple playthroughs.

For example, on one mission you're given the standard KOTOR option of killing the bad guy or letting him go. Well, if you have a particular henchman in your party you aren't given that option, the henchman just guns him down mid-conversation (causing you to miss an important piece of information and take the long way around in completing the rest of the quest.)

Stuff like that makes me so eager for this game that I have trouble containing myself.

Also, even if it is just a 360 version of KotoR...

It's KotoR with Achievements.

Seriously. Sign me up right the fuck now.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

only without the hacking and/or slashing

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Edit: Damn double post.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Children wrote: »

The art direction, great atmosphere, diverse cast of charicters, fun (albiet simple) fighting. Whats the problem?

All of that stuff. I didn't like any of it, especially the combat.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    From what I've read and seen (including that review), their goal seems to have been NOT to make it a 360 version of KotOR. You could play good or evil in that game, and you knew what the consequence of the choices you made would be. In Mass Effect, you don't have that luxury. The choice that seems to be the right one may end up having unforeseen consequences down the line. The truth is, you really don't know exactly what's going to happen.

Also, your ultimate goal is saving the universe, so essentially you only play good. But the question is, how far are you willing to go? Does the end justify the means?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The end always justifies the means. Kif, write that down.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I take it you'll be punching barkeeps in the face to get your information. :P

Dashui on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeahhhh I'm not putting that much weight into a review so lacking in detail it hurts considering the highly ambiguious 9.75 score. Anything above 8 in my mind just tells me that its pretty much guaranteed to be fun, but 10 doesn't mean perfect.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only way I won't buy this game is if the girl party member in your team turns out to be a tranny. Even then I'd probably buy it out of curiosity.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    edit: weird, time-delayed double post!

zilo on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

I take it you'll be punching barkeeps in the face to get your information. :P

"Ok, here's the plan: We go in. I start punching people hard in the face, and see where it takes us."

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I mean, the genre is often criticized for a lack of depth and repetitive atmosphere. That can easily be applied to an RPG that has no close combat weapons. I find nothing wrong with calling Mass Effect potentially hack and slash.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    zilo wrote: »

well clearly that means everyone that likes it is wrong and it is in fact a bad game.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I mean, the genre is often criticized for a lack of depth and repetitive atmosphere. That can easily be applied to an RPG that has no close combat weapons. I find nothing wrong with calling Mass Effect potentially hack and slash.

Well I do. Despite the fact that you neither hack nor slash the gameplay is not repetitive meatgrind through enemies. So it bears absolutely no resemblance to a hack n slash game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well I do. Despite the fact that you neither hack nor slash the gameplay is not repetitive meatgrind through enemies. So it bears absolutely no resemblance to a hack n slash game.

That is only one aspect of hack and slash. Also, how do you know it's not repetitive? The game isn't even out yet.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

That is only one aspect of hack and slash. Also, how do you know it's not repetitive? The game isn't even out yet.

Reviews/previews/press events/media: non of this has suggested any semblance of hack n slash gameplay in any way shape or form.

It seems to me like you plucked this notion out of thin air. I have never thought for once Mass effect would ever appear as a hack n slash

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Diablo = Hack and Slash RPG

Mass Effect seems to bare zero resemblence to Diablo

shryke on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always wanted to stick runes in my assault rifles.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Reviews/previews/press events/media: non of this has suggested any semblance of hack n slash gameplay in any way shape or form.

It seems to me like you plucked this notion out of thin air. I have never thought for once Mass effect would ever appear as a hack n slash

My stance is not that Mass effect is hack and slash or will be, I'm defending the term as a valid critical assessment of an RPG that doesn't actually have close combat weapons.

People use hack and slash as loose way to define poor RPGs all the time. Like if I say,

"man I hope Mass Effect isn't too hack and slash" This makes perfect sense.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

My stance is not that Mass effect is hack and slash or will be, I'm defending the term as a valid critical assessment of an RPG that doesn't actually have close combat weapons.

People use hack and slash as loose way to define poor RPGs all the time. Like if I say,

"man I hope Mass Effect isn't too hack and slash" This makes perfect sense.

All the pre-release materials they've shown give the impression that there's far too much emphasis on interacting with characters for it to reasonably qualify as simply a hack and slash game. So from what I've seen, anyway, it doesn't look at all like the entire game will be spent shooting things in the face. And even if the majority of the time is spent fighting, what was the last BioWare game that didn't mostly involve combat? Even going back to the Baldur's Gate games, there was a heavy emphasis on combat and, uh, the games they made before they got into RPGs were pure action games.

I also seriously doubt they would have gone to such lengths to make the characters so emotive and believable were they to be thrown into what amounts to little more than Diablo with guns. I don't expect Mass Effect to be any more a hack 'n slash than KotOR was.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    I've always wanted to stick runes in my assault rifles.

I'd buy it.

Variable on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Well.....to summarize, everything's the problem with Jade Empire, which is part of the reason I was skeptical about Mass Effect at first.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, if we want to avoid the entire semantics involved with a game based in the future having no melee weapons: run 'n' gun?

Also, I found the blathering incompetence in the larger review to be partially offset by the slightly more descriptive side column. He just seems to describe with brevity what the other reviewer couldn't accomplish with a dictionary...and a thesaurus...and a GED.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, if we want to avoid the entire semantics involved with a game based in the future having no melee weapons: run 'n' gun?

Also, I found the blathering incompetence in the larger review to be partially offset by the slightly more descriptive side column. He just seems to describe with brevity what the other reviewer couldn't accomplish with a dictionary...and a thesaurus...and a GED.

Shoot and Snipe is more appropriate, but I would never say that because no one would have any idea what the fuck I was talking about.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Angry wrote: »
    zilo wrote: »

well clearly that means everyone that likes it is wrong and it is in fact a bad game.

Hey, he asked. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bad game- mediocre at best, and regardless I'm simply using it as a counterexample to some folks stating that Bioware shits gold.

At the very least I'm sure we can all agree that it's no KotOR or BG2.

zilo on
  • Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game looks absolutely amazing, but I'm reserving judgement until I see some more reviews. I don't trust Game Informer and I feel like the hype machine suckered me into Jade Empire. While I agree that it had a nice atmosphere, I hated the art direction (obviously not a concern for Mass Effect) and the gameplay (simple to the point of being absolutely boring).
    Zilo wrote:
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bad game- mediocre at best, and regardless I'm simply using it as a counterexample to some folks stating that Bioware shits gold.

That about sums it up for me. I have high hopes for Mass Effect. It's not every day that such a fully-realized sci-fi RPG hits the market.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It works on quarters of a point, and is actualyl a good balance between accuracy and differentiating between games.
    So a forty-point scale. How insipid.

All anyone should need is a rating out of five stars. Any additional detail should be left in the body of the review, where it belongs.

Azio on
This discussion has been closed.