As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So anyone going to be playing the 360 version? I should be receiving my copy today and I would like to game with a few PA'ers.

Should be awesome.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Evigilant wrote:
    So anyone going to be playing the 360 version? I should be receiving my copy today and I would like to game with a few PA'ers.

Should be awesome.

There's a rather nice group of 360 players actually :) Hopefully as of tonight we'll be on.

Aoi on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Evigilant wrote:

Should be awesome.

I'll be playing the 360 version. Unfortunately, I don't think I will get the game until later in the weekend. I'll post here back then and maybe we can get some groups up and some player cards traded for all the PA'ers that will be on the 360 servers.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm picking the game up this evening, and I imagine I'll be playing quite a few hours tonight. I'll probably be logging on around 7:30-8:00 EST and going 'til I can't go no more.

My gamertag is RedMageDarion, if anyone wants to hook up.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jaef is playing PSU? Sheesh.

I got my copy fresh out of the UPS box, ran into GameStop just a few minutes after the truck left. I played for an hour or two yesterday. I ran into Black Heart, but I couldn't type fast enough on the in-gname keyboard (ahh, PSO memories...) to answer you. Then I lost you, and ran into *another* guy named Black Heart, who had no clue what I was talking about.

I've only been able to find two missions to do, and one was level 20. It took forever. Everyone I saw was running around asking where to find new missions, as well.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What else am I going to do until January, Reynolds.

I got my character set up (Jaef) but he can't get any missions at level 1. I assume you have to have a party to start a mission. Have to leave for work shortly, but I'll be back tonight to party hard. Get on vent if you're playing the PC version and hop into a game on channel so it's easier for us to hook up.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't tell if this makes me a sadist:

I bought PSU for a friend of mine. Except, he has no time to play it. None. Zip. So it's sitting there, perfect in its wrap, waiting.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    If you do the tutorial, you go up to level 2 and get some basic stuff. You have to go into the Linear something tunnel to star most missions. When you beat mission 1 (I found out) you can go to another mission through the Field Terminal. When you get to level 5, you unlock mission 1 but *hader*. Sheesh.

Weird way to do things. I guess I'll be playing Mission 1C over and over a few times to level up.

Wish I knew someone playing, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    What else am I going to do until January, Reynolds.

qft, but hopefully PSU will be a fun online experience anyway.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    anyone know if TRU got this yet?

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    cobaltcobalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zavian wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    The fact that Sega somehow can't manage this with PSO, or chooses not to, is not my problem. They're not offering anything above what other products offer, but are charging more for it, and I will not support that.

Don't buy the game?

yea I mean why even post here, if you had gotten the game and figured it wasn't worth the money and want to inform people of why then thats perfectly understandable but theres no reason to bother posting about something you obviously don't care about enough to try out. unless you're just trying to get into an argument over how much this game is teh suxors compared to other mmos that you personally enjoy. if its not worth your money then dont buy it and dont spend time making posts about it.

If you don't think a comment is worth anybody's time, why spend your time commenting on it? :)

Really, I just sort of quoted this (about six pages too late) because I have not bought the game as well, due to the monthly fee, and am complaining about it, but obviously, I do care. I wouldn't be slightly irritated by the pricing structure if I didn't care, and I wouldn't have gone to the effort of writing Sega about it. I have an interest in the game, and its production company forced it into a business model that I will not support. That doesn't mean I no longer have an interest in it.

cobalt on
    Sasuke+Plushie.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    If you do the tutorial, you go up to level 2 and get some basic stuff. You have to go into the Linear something tunnel to star most missions. When you beat mission 1 (I found out) you can go to another mission through the Field Terminal. When you get to level 5, you unlock mission 1 but *hader*. Sheesh.

Weird way to do things. I guess I'll be playing Mission 1C over and over a few times to level up.

Wish I knew someone playing, though.

Linear Line ;) You don't start most missions there, just some of the earlier missions as well as the most solo friendly newbie missions. Most other missions are gained at the flight terminals down on the planets themselves.

Aoi on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    cobalt wrote:
    Zavian wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    The fact that Sega somehow can't manage this with PSO, or chooses not to, is not my problem. They're not offering anything above what other products offer, but are charging more for it, and I will not support that.

Don't buy the game?

yea I mean why even post here, if you had gotten the game and figured it wasn't worth the money and want to inform people of why then thats perfectly understandable but theres no reason to bother posting about something you obviously don't care about enough to try out. unless you're just trying to get into an argument over how much this game is teh suxors compared to other mmos that you personally enjoy. if its not worth your money then dont buy it and dont spend time making posts about it.

If you don't think a comment is worth any body's time, why spend your time commenting on it? :)

Really, I just sort of quoted this (about six pages too late) because I have not bought the game as well, due to the monthly fee, and am complaining about it, but obviously, I do care. I wouldn't be slightly irritated by the pricing structure if I didn't care, and I wouldn't have gone to the effort of writing Sega about it. I have an interest in the game, and its production company forced it into a business model that I will not support. That doesn't mean I no longer have an interest in it.

I guess it's because most people (not all) who have complained up to now feel like they have been cheated in some way by a product they have not even bought yet. There's not a lot of constructive criticism up to now and it's starting to be repetitive if not annoying. Thus my very very very very very simple comment: don't buy the game.

Which is way better than writing up letters to Sega or any other company. When people want to really send a message to a corporation that's trying to sell you something, don't give them your money. Money is like a voting slip in this case and the trick is to make everyone think like you. It just so happens that for many of us, 10$ a month to play the game seems ok, if not quite affordable (ie my job does not consist of delivering papers). You obviously really like the game because you complain and send letters, but you don't want to spend money beyond what you think is all right. That's incredibly subjective in nature. There's no arguing with subjectiveness, so there will never be a way to truly discuss anything in a constructive manner. The company does what it wants with it's product, it's up to you to either buy the game or not buy the game.

ps. There are no free meals.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Frugus wrote:
    cobalt wrote:
    Zavian wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

Don't buy the game?

If you don't think a comment is worth any body's time, why spend your time commenting on it? :)

I guess it's because most people (not all) who have complained up to now feel like they have been cheated in some way. There's not a lot of constructive criticism up to now it's starting to repetitive if not annoying. Thus my very very very very very simple comment: don't buy the game.

Which is way better than writing up letters to Sega or any other company. When people want to really send a message to a corporation that's trying to sell you something, don't give them your money. Money is like a voting slip in this case and the trick is to make everyone think like you. It just so happens that for many of us, 10$ a month to play the game seems ok, if not quite affordable (ie my job does not consist of delivering papers). You obviously really like the game because you complain and send letters, but you don't want to spend money beyond what you think is all right. That's incredibly subjective in nature. There's no arguing with subjectiveness, so there will never be a way to truly discuss anything in a constructive manner. The company does what it wants with it's product, it's up to you to either buy the game or not buy the game.

ps. There are no free meals.

It's not a question of free meals, but simple economics. If the product we'd like to purchase is being sold for more than it's worth to us, and the company selling it has priced it at higher than is *really* the lowest they could sell it for, then there's room to manuever, and additional sales they could make by changing the price.

PSU, for instance, is worth $50 to me...no more, no less. If Sega realized I would happily pay $50 for it, and nothing more, and say, they break even when selling it at $45, they'd be better off selling it to me. Granted, of course, they don't have this knowledge...and if, as you mentioned, people like me are in the gross minority, then they might as well ignore us.

But giving them the information they lack "Hey, I'd like to buy your product, if only it were cheaper, I would" gives them some useful knowledge of their potential consumers, which is of nothing but benefit to a business.

They've already sold copies to everyone who's fine with $10/month...but the question is, if they could still make a profit by selling it for a lower price to others, would it be worthwhile?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Can you please take this nonsense to another thread?

Some of us want to discuss the actual game, rather than talk about being cheap.

Anyway, I finally got the game last night, and played a hunter up to level 6.

To be honest, I'm a little confused about how the expert classes work, along with the synthesis of items. Are they mainly good for feeding your machine in your room?

Character name is Jeffro.

Jeffro on
    Pokemon Diamond Code: 0000 9809 8396
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

To be honest, I'm a little confused about how the expert classes work, along with the synthesis of items. Are they mainly good for feeding your machine in your room?

Expert classes are unlocked once you hit certain lvl requirements with the basic classes. Example: To unlock Fortefighter, you must have Hunter at lvl 10. To unlock Figunner, you must have Hunter at lvl 5 and Ranger at lvl 3. Expert classes are able to weild certain S-rank weapons that are MUCH more powerful that C through A class weapons.

For item synthesis, you must first have the "synthesis board" to produce the item, then you must gather the materials to create it. The rate of sucess depends on the level and stats of your partner machine. If your PM has a high Strike stat, the chances of sucessfully creating a melee weapons are increased. The same goes for the other stats. Ranged = better chance for ranged weapons, Technique = better chance for force weapons, and Armor increases the sucess rate for created armors.

kriegs on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

Wow, you're friendly. O_o

During your quests you'll get things called boards. They're basically templates that give you the ability to make whatever item is listed in the board name, for example a Dimate. You go into your partner machine's synthesis menu, insert the board and if you have the items needed to synthasize the item, it will let you do so.

Also, be real careful. You have the option to feed items to the partner machine, which lets you raise its stats/help it evolve, but you also have the option to store items in the machine, which is where the items you synthasize with are drawn from. Always make sure to pick the right option, otherwise you'll just end up feeding your nifty items to your PM and lose them.

Edit:Eep, beated!

Aoi on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    kriegs wrote:
    Expert classes are unlocked once you hit certain lvl requirements with the basic classes. Example: To unlock Fortefighter, you must have Hunter at lvl 10. To unlock Figunner, you must have Hunter at lvl 5 and Ranger at lvl 3. Expert classes are able to weild certain S-rank weapons that are MUCH more powerful that C through A class weapons.
    It should be noted that you actually have two different levels at any one time. One of them increases as you kill monsters and , and the other only increases as you gain mission points for getting a good rank when you finish a mission. Expert classes are unlocked when the later level reaches the requirement. It should be a fair while before anyone unlocks an expert class, after about 7 hours of playing I'm only half way through level 1.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    About the mean comment, I was just frustrated with so many people complaining about the cost of the license for the game.

When I originally saw the thread, I was thinking it would be information about the game, which universe to hang out in, etc. The problem came when at least half of it is complaining about the monthly fee.

It was just irritating, and honestly should be in a different thread.

Jeffro on
    Pokemon Diamond Code: 0000 9809 8396
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Also, I didn't see anyone mention it, but synthesis also lets you make awesome weapons and armor, and you can add an element of your choice to equipment that you make, and (with melee weapons at least), it changes the look of the weapon which is awesome. :^:

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If anyone wants to meet up on the PS2/PC version. I'm on Universe 01, Cylez City/Gaurdian Colony 4th floor.

I'm standing next to the glowing orange access crystal right next to the ramps that lead up/down the levels.

Just ask in the lobby for my partner card if you want to get hooked up.

I'll be there for a while just waiting for any of you guys, so if you read this, try to swing by.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If anyone wants to meet up on the PS2/PC version. I'm on Universe 01, Cylez City/Gaurdian Colony 4th floor.

I'm standing next to the glowing orange access crystal right next to the ramps that lead up/down the levels.

Just ask in the lobby for my partner card if you want to get hooked up.

I'll be there for a while just waiting for any of you guys, so if you read this, try to swing by.
    Well, I'm finally online so if you can deal with a newly created Newman that has pretty much no idea what the hell he's doing, I'd be happy to swing by. The name will be Gilder. I also don't have a spare keyboard (yet) so I'll be typing really slow.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm standing around there too. I don't see anyone. Hrm...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I JUST left to do something, I'm coming back

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hold down R2 while you hit enter, after you type a message in.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I hit select to bring up the KB on screen. I type my message. When I go to hit OK to send it, I hol down L2/R2. That's all I can tell you.

I don't know if it's different if you have a real keyboard.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    ohhh.. I don't use the little built-in on screen keyboard, thats the difference. I just type things onto the USB keyboard I have. I see.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Alright, I've been playing all day. I think I'm going to take a break for a while. Was fun.

We need to set up our own PA universe. Because right now everyone's crowding onto 01. We need to be on 13 or something.

With just the cool people.

And me.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ohhh.. I don't use the little built-in on screen keyboard, thats the difference. I just type things onto the USB keyboard I have. I see.
    If you're talking about using the "faces", which I assume you are, you can also type @1, @2, @3, etc, before your message and that should work.

I think.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Damn, I gotta find a keyboard somewhere. I know I have one just lying around. I too support moving to a different lobby. I always used to play on deserted ones in PSO.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Gilder wrote:
    Damn, I gotta find a keyboard somewhere. I know I have one just lying around. I too support moving to a different lobby. I always used to play on deserted ones in PSO.

Our old tradition was to pick the last server, last lobby on it. Always really quiet. Heh.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Gilder wrote:

Our old tradition was to pick the last server, last lobby on it. Always really quiet. Heh.
    Yeah, that's what I used to do do as well. It also helped avoid cheaters on PSO because they'd try to affect as many as possible so they'd always use the first server and first lobby. Speaking of PSO, I just remembered what PSU needs: Chu Chu Rocket Soccer.

Gilder on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ahah! Finally in.

Faridius, Newman Force

Where are you at now? If you want, I will meet up with you and give you my Partner card. I have almost everyone else's from PA who is playing on the PS2/PC servers. Too bad you can't trade other people's cards though, lol.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    err guys... 1 CD = multiply online account possible?
    As I'm sure you've all noticed, though many (including myself) would rather not comment within it, there is a post about the posibility (not yet proven it seems) that identical copies of the PC version will be able to play online simultaneiously, and no product proof is needed to start an online account (is this true btw?).

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=123012&forum=20&173

Let me first say, I'm walking into EB tomorow and walking out with either PS2 or PC version. This thread is not posted to discuss the morality issue. If you wish to comment on that part of the story, click the link above. I'm not even concerned about the increase of possible hacking which seems to be the main concern expressed in the thread above.

I am TERRIFIED about what this means to server health for the PS2/PC servers!! This will likely lead to a massive increase in the number of subscribers. Needing a valid CD key to install the JP version allowed them to control the numbers of players overall. You can't play if you didn't buy the game. Yet, they still had to start a 2nd server to handle the load of online subscribers.

Now here is the American release. It is being said (I hope ALL of this is proven incorrect before the end of the night so I can sleep) that you can start an online account without even providing the the CD-Key, which I believe the JP version also required (true?).

So yes, Sega is obviously going to miss out on $$...

No, I can't see this being intentional on their part...

Sure, longevity of the servers will indeed be paid for by our $10/month fee...

BUT... this will multiply the number of subscribers a few times and I wonder is Sega is ready for this. Instead of using CD sales to control the number of people playing overall, as games such as WoW did (One account/Copy of game), they will need to resort to posting on the billing site "Sorry, we have no more availability of Liscences at this time, please try again at a later date" to control the number of players.

PLEASE, someone finally prove this all to be incorrect so I can go to sleep and get back to dreaming about getting my copy... starting the story mode... creating my account saturday and joining the gathering that Rizen (spelling?) and others are arranging.

Again... not a post about the morality issue... I Love Phantasy star, I love owning a tight game collection, and am walking out of EB with a copy tomorow... But I don't want to base the decision on the idea that someday down the road they may need to resort to dividing the PC and PS2 players to seperate servers to give PS2 players a more stable experience and allow them to focus on the PC player situation.

Sorry for long post... and for possibly repeating myself a few times. Sorry if someone beat me to the topic. Now please, someone, please tell me how WRONG I am so I can relax and go to bed. (2am for me, working in the morning).

Anyone live in LA can let me borrow the CD ? =P hoho

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Gilder wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Gilder wrote:

Yeah, that's what I used to do do as well. It also helped avoid cheaters on PSO because they'd try to affect as many as possible so they'd always use the first server and first lobby. Speaking of PSO, I just remembered what PSU needs: Chu Chu Rocket Soccer.

You can get a soocer theme for your room! I'm sure there'll be a Chu Chu statue someday. ;)

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In game names of characters are in sig-- I'm using Zoro at the moment.

So everyone's in Universe 01? Look me up.

Ichnob on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ahah! Finally in.

Faridius, Newman Force

Where are you at now? If you want, I will meet up with you and give you my Partner card. I have almost everyone else's from PA who is playing on the PS2/PC servers. Too bad you can't trade other people's cards though, lol.
    I am messing about with the goons and oh god I am in japan now what the hell just happened

Well if you want to meet up just give me a place and I will be there. I'm playing right now.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think I will write a "Where the fuck do I go" guide later, either tonight or tomarrow probably if I don't get swamped (and I think I'm going to get swamped :(, why's this shit always have to happen when something I want to play releases?)

For the moment, here's the short of it, and I don't remember names of missions.

GUARDIAN station:
    Linear line pt 1 C: Req: No Reqs, Monsters: lvl 1
    This is found on the fourth floor, far right corner if you're coming from down stairs.
    Linear line pt 2 C: Req: No Reqs, Monsters: lvl 5 + boss
    This is found if, after you finish pt 1, you go right in the lobby there. There's a boss at the end, but he's easy cakes, always.

Parum:
    East District pt 1 C: Req: No Reqs, Monsters: lvl 10
    There's a level 10 place in the east district. I haven't checked out the west district, so there might be another mission you can get to from Parum, but its level 10.
    East District pt 2 C: Req: No Reqs ( I think), Monsters: 10 or 15, I don't remember, + boss
    Go to the other side of the clearing you get too after you finish this level. More stuff to kill, more xp, yay.

Niazdjklfajdsfaj (I don't remember; it's the planet that starts with an N):
    Flyer Base N/NE C: Req: Lvl 5, Monsters: lvl 15
    The monsters here are fucking dicks, but good xp at around 18xp per kill. A full party of 6 to 8s can get through these levels, so no biggie.
    Flyer Base N/NE C pt 2: Req: about the same Monsters About the same but boss
    Same shit, plus a boss that will probably end you if you go here at low level. Those 6 to 8s probably CAN'T take this guy, unless I'm missing something.
    Flyer Base S/SE C pt 1: Req: lvl 5, Monsters: lvl 15
    Same as N/NE, but with big guys that shoot barta worth 81 xp. Great for leveling. There's a level after this, but I never went there.

Hope that helps, I'll probably clean it up later and add pics. I'd like to get some competent people focused on not dying to grind money and mission points later maybe. I need Fotecher!!

piL on