As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Forum Badges

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in PAX West
Hello,

Thanks for clicking on this thread title, it's most appreciated! If you're new and hoping to see how you can buy PAX Prime tickets then I'm afraid you're in the wrong thread. This is about a community driven thing that has been running since 2008. It's a badge that is designed and created by me with a massive dose of help from people in these fine forums. That's right, someone like you who is still reading this message. The badge is created for the single purpose of identifying forum members during PAX. It's worn alongside the PAX pass and exists for both PAX East and PAX Prime.

http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Forum_Badge

The design of the badge has now been settled and the thread below details its evolution. The badge design for PAX Prime 2015 is based on a faded Atari 2600 game cart box that has been left out in the sun:

FRONT:
150418%20PAX%20Prime%202015%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Atar%20v2_zpsqgqzu8yy.jpg

REAR:
150621%20PAX%20Prime%202015%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Back%20No%20Name%20v3_zpssjxmvt9y.jpg

In order to get your name on the back of the badge you must contribute to this thread by midnight BST on Friday 14th August 2015.

The SPOILER button below hides the questions and answers to those questions for people who are collecting the Forum Badges from the BYOC registration desk at PAX Prime. If you're a forum regular they should be very easy to answer, if not you won't have a clue. This is why these questions exist so that only forum members get a Forum Badge.
1) Name ONE unofficial PAX Prime 2015 community event/thing:

* Pre-PAX Dinner
* Cookie Brigade
* Pre-PAX/Post PAX Board Game meetup
* Post PAX Party
* Pre PAX Pub Crawl (formerly the Tri Wizard Drinking Tournament)
* PAX Prime Challenge Coin
* Magical Mystery Tour

2) Who made the Forum Badges?

Kropotkin [Pr: KRO-POT-KIN]

3) Do Mike and Jerry read the Penny Arcade forums?

No

4) Name/Handle of a PAX Forum Moderator?

Moe Fwacky or zerzhul

5) What is the theme for the PAX Prime 2015 forum badge?

Atari VCS or 2600 video game cartridge box

6) What item do you have to collect in the PAX Forum Badge Atari game?

Pins

7) There were two other themes that were considered for this year's forum badge, can you name one of them?

Kickstarter or Early Access

8) There is a group of PAX attendees that give out crunchy and sweet foodstuffs and takes voluntary donations for the Childsplay charity during PAX. What is this group called?

The Cookie Brigade

9) According to the forums, it is a general rule that PAX is most definitely not, under any circumstances a BLANK service. What is the 'blank'?

Dating

10) What is in the two tone colour of the shield within the PAX community crest?

Red and Blue

Spoiler below is the OP that introduced the design process to the forum members.
Every year each PAX gets its own badge and unique design. For PAX East 2015 we went for Back to the Future due to the second film being set in 2015. For PAX Prime I have the following suggestions for the PAX Forum Badge:

1) Kickstarter Badge - Fictional crowd funded badge that will have all the trappings of Kickstarter without actually having the stress of getting funding in the first place.
2) Satirical Badge - Sarcastic swipes at recent developments in video game culture, Gamergate being a good example. I was thinking something along the lines of 'This isn't about forum badges but ethics in video game journalism'.
3) Free to Wear Forum badge - While its technically free to wear and own the Forum badge there will be some micro-transaction related stuff on the badge as a means to poke fun at this funding model.
4) Early Access Forum badge - Partially finished badge that barely passes as one.
5) Atari box art Forum badge - As a retro gaming nut I'd love to do an Atari box art themed badge

Let me know what ones work for you by responding to this message and I'll pick the top 3 to develop into draft images. We'll then vote to see which out of those three we go with. Over to you, you amazing community of fun loving people you!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    That's a tough choice... tho as an old git I'd vote for 5

• ParoXoNParoXoN Registered User new member
    Very cool! Thanks for setting this up, kropotkin!

My favourite option is probably the Atari box art one, followed closely by the Free to Wear and the Kickstarter choices :)

• IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    Kickstarter would be neat. We could have stretch goals! I would love 5 as well. I miss my 2600.

• nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Number 5 has lots of good feels connected to it for me.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Number 4, though it kinda depends how you do it, like maybe have 'place holder art' on certain sections of the badge.

May PAX be upon you.
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd vote for number 5 myself - I'm old, so I'm all in for the nostalgia factor :)

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Number 5 is great but number 1 isn't without its charm.

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Atari box is my first choice
    Second choice is the kickstarter one....wait kickstarter for an Atari box forum badge!

• neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    I'd have to go with the Atari badge. That brings back memories as the first game system I have ever played.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Totally worth it Kryptokin. Atari for sure! :)

• kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    Vote for #5 here! I can already picture it now and it's glorious.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Oh man tough choice this year. I would lean towards kickstarter or Atari art. Both would be pretty sweet.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    #5 would be very cool! Excited to see whatever is chosen.

pax
    clt
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love the idea of #5! Thank you so much for doing these, btw. I had fun with the East one.

I would also like to, if I may, put in a -1 vote for #2. I've heard enough about GamerGate for a lifetime and it would be really, really unfunny to me. :P

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Curse you, East!

That said, I think 5 and 1 are great ideas. And I would like to second the -1 on #2. Let's stay far, far away from GamerGate.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really enjoy the idea of #5

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Looks like No. 5 is a clear winner with No. 1 and No. 4 also getting a look-in. I kind of regret the second one on reflection as I too don't want to mention that hate group. Let's pretend it's not there :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    In order I'm liking 1, 4, and 3. Love the ideas and many thanks kropotkin for your work. :)

*~o(^.^)o~*
  • itsshortstuffitsshortstuff CARegistered User regular
    5! :) I also like 1

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    1. Kickstarter
    2. Atari

Loving these options!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Another vote for #5. It sounds like it would have the strongest potential at-a-glance design, and a good variety of hooks for jokes or details visible to closer examination.

And yeah, good call withdrawing #2. There's too great a risk of satire being mistaken for endorsement, no matter how clear the actual design is.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    My choices in order of preference:

Let us hope I can hold on to this year's one and not lose it walking back from PPD like last year. :(

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    I vote for number 4!

So being the geek I am, I went and applied a scoring algorithm to everyone's expressed preferences so far. Since it was just for fun, I opted to use the Mario Kart scoring algo (15 pts for greatest preference, 12 points for 2nd preference, etc.)

The results are a big exaggerated since not everyone ranked all 5 choices but the standings so far are:

1. Atari: 256 pts
    2. Kickstarter: 133 pts
    3. Early Access: 54 pts
    4. Free to Wear: 31 pts
    5. Satirical: 6 pts (includes two '-1' votes.)

The outcome of this exercise was pretty obvious from the get-go, but I just like assigning numbers to things :3

Well it would appear the running order is Atari box, Kickstarter and Early Access. Inspired by this response I have created the design for the forum badge based on the Atari game box and here it is:
    150415%20PAX%20Prime%202015%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Atari_zpswggwawle.jpg

Kickstarter and Early Access versions to follow! Let me know what you think of this design.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    Nice! Maybe add the obligatory "For use with" above the URL or the forum handle box?

• sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    The Atari design is awesome. That just takes me back. Good stuff, as always man

• nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I really, really like that design!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
    So here is the Kickstarter themed badge:
    150415%20PAX%20Prime%202015%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20kickstarter_zpsbc4wrw58.jpg

The back of the badge will be the list of backers and possibly a rant written by me on how I utterly failed to deliver the badge on time and actually spend 4 years making it.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Maybe make the primary colour of the Atari badge match the retro PAX Prime shirts, but otherwise it looks awesome.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    Maybe make the primary colour of the Atari badge match the retro PAX Prime shirts, but otherwise it looks awesome.

That's a good idea, but I don't want to rip off an official PAX T-shirt. There's a reason why the forum badges doesn't have any of the PAX official logos on it because it could be confused with passes. However, I do like the idea of having an aged look to the badge, so I'm going to play with some textures to see what I can come up with.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

Here is the Early Access version of the badge. As explained in the OP, this badge barely functions as one thanks to its 'early access' status, hence the broken title and partially loaded crest.
    150415%20PAX%20Prime%202015%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Early%20Access%20Small_zpsszrvjfwf.jpg

Please vote on your favourite and the final version will be decided in early May, soon after the UK's General Election :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

Here is the weathered version of the Atari VCS cartridge badge that has been made to look that it's been in a shop window for way too long and is a little crinkled too.
    150418%20PAX%20Prime%202015%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Atar%20v2_zpsqgqzu8yy.jpg

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Ok the weathered version is awesome.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    That weathered looks great!

*~o(^.^)o~*
  • LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    The weathered is my favorite by far.

edited April 2015
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Here is the weathered version of the Atari VCS cartridge badge that has been made to look that it's been in a shop window for way too long and is a little crinkled too.

Looks good!! I'm really liking this one and the Kickstarter one :)

Re: the Atari one: how do you think it'd look if the coat of arms was framed with a rounded border, a la this or this. (I recognize the rounded border that was Activision's thing, but the solid background surrounding the image of the game art seems to be pretty common.) I think having a two tone setup separating the badge proper (the "box") from the coat of arms ("game art") would look neat.

Behold the worst mockup in the history of time:
    vlgQFCu.jpg

It turns out I lost Photoshop when I wiped my computer and GIMP is taking 1000 years to download for some reason. Accordingly, be awed by my amazing MS Paint skillz0rz. Not implying those are the colours that should be used, just to give an idea of what I'm talking about ^^ (Also, the horrible colour aliasing resulting from the paint bucket tool, while kinda fun and glitchy, are not part of my suggested design lol.)

ParoXoN on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really love that weathered version of the atari one

• savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    E rly cce s Badge!

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
    @ParoXoN Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at it closely I am of the opinion that we shouldn't go for the rounded border as that's what Activision did and then I'd have to put some rainbow twirls somewhere and I can't see that working. So I went for the 1st party Atari cartridge art that didn't have the funky border. I did actually try this when I was developing it and elected to go for the 1st party look as they were the original carts after all.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This discussion has been closed.