As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• nopoastingnopoasting __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Why did they remove the chargeable Hellbender cannon?

Why did they remove the Scorpion's sticky mines?

Why did they remove dodge-jumping?

nopoasting on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    nopoasting wrote: »

Why does it matter? If you really dislike the game so much then there's always 2k4. I bet the dodge-jumping thing will be in a mutator or modded in anyways. And besides, this isn't a sequel to 2k4 so it was meant to be different.

BlueDestiny on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dodge-jumping wasn't really needed, they sped up the run speed to compensate and you get hoverboards on vehicle maps.

I don't even remember the Scorpion having mines. I do miss the giant cannon on the Hellbender, but it's not a huge deal. They did add an awesome long range weapon in the giant artillery gun though.

Stop crying, it's a new game. It's not UT2k4 re-skinned. That's what sucks about liking a successful franchise, every time they release a sequel the "hardcore" crowd gets all up in arms because it's not exactly the same. See TF2 for another example.

Drool on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

They are trying to make the game play faster afaik. The new Scorpion cannon is AWESOME.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alright.I won't have a chance to play this game until I replace my fried motherboard, but, is it more like UT:GOTY or more like the 2k series? The early UTs were without a doubt faster more hectic games while the 2k series brought about more precision and skill. I just have to inquire about the Halo comparison though. Has the game been slowed down? Is it a clone of gears multiplayer?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    I like TF2. They made good changes all while refining the core gameplay.
    The changes to UT are unwarranted, and just dumb the game down for the console crowd.

You know than green band of stuff you fired from a Scorpion? Those were sticky mines, and those were awesome. The new "generic exploding ball" is retarded and feels like it was designed for "hold down button, blow things up" like the rest of the game.

nopoasting on
    edited October 2007

They are trying to make the game play faster afaik. The new Scorpion cannon is AWESOME.

So in order to make the game play faster, they make your character feel like a hulking heap of scrap that can barely jump at all? Yeah.

nopoasting on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alright.I won't have a chance to play this game until I replace my fried motherboard, but, is it more like UT:GOTY or more like the 2k series? The early UTs were without a doubt faster more hectic games while the 2k series brought about more precision and skill. I just have to inquire about the Halo comparison though. Has the game been slowed down? Is it a clone of gears multiplayer?

It plays much more like UT:GOTY in the fact that you aren't flying all over the place and actually utilize your legs for running. As a result, you run faster but jump shorter. You also die much faster, like 3-4 shock rifle hits will kill you.

BlueDestiny on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been playing vCTF for a couple of hours, and really the only complaint I have is that jumping is pathetic, both on foot and in a manta. Oh, and it annoys me that there's no running chat log that says who got killed by what. It still feels like UT, though, which is nice. The new vehicle movement is also neat.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone noticed that they reused a lot of sounds?

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited October 2007
    Well they changed the jumping because they wanted it to be less floaty. They also made the guns stronger. The entire idea is it's more about getting in the and killing people rather then doing fancy dodges and jumping. As I have always been a fan of getting in there and killing people I like the changes.

Drool on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Welp, it looks like Gears of War and plays like Halo.
    GG Epic, you've ruined your own series.

Oh, and I'm sure that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's a cross-release on a console.

Um, no... Gears of War looks like UT3, seeing that Gears was originally just a fucking tech demo for the Unreal Engine 3.

Lucky Cynic on
  • ChrisRChrisR Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and I'm sure that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's a cross-release on a console.

Actually, if you go back and read some interviews with the developers, you'll find that they decided to ground the combat from the start. So, no, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the cross-release. Aside from that, Unreal Championship had movement from UT2k3/2k4. So again, that point is pretty much moot.

Enjoyed the demo for the few minutes I got to play it; love the way they took the Liandri Conflict-esque weapon designs. It keeps kicking me out of after a few minutes of play, either to a black screen or just straight to windows. I guess my videocard (7600 GS) can't handle it - kind of expected that.

ChrisR on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can still dodge jump. That is, if you mean the thing where you press a direction twice in quick succession.

Magus` on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

So in order to make the game play faster, they make your character feel like a hulking heap of scrap that can barely jump at all? Yeah.

Taking the quote out of context but they are getting rid of the floaty stuff in order to make the game less dodgey and more blow the fuck out of the other guy YEAA instead of O GOD AVOID THE FLOATING GREEN LASER / PROJECTILE.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, that was a disappointment. But, maybe I've just been spoiled by all these other awesome, beautiful FPSes that have come out lately.

Inquisitor on
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    You can still dodge jump. That is, if you mean the thing where you press a direction twice in quick succession.

That's just a dodge. A dodge-jump is where you do that, but then jump at the peak of the dodge for added height and distance.

It basically made running obsolete in UT2k3/4

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • bloodwingsbloodwings Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else get a dll error?
    I downloaded and installed, but the game won't open.

"UT3Demo.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because faultrep.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I re-downloaded and re-installed twice, keep getting the same message.

bloodwings on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I couldn't really enjoy this after playing TF2. tsc.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This couldn't have been said any better. TF2 is just so freaking fun. Maybe its the maps though, maybe its the pub kiddies. This game could be more fun on a PA server perhaps. Time will tell I guess.

Smashism on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Smashism wrote: »

This couldn't have been said any better. TF2 is just so freaking fun. Maybe its the maps though, maybe its the pub kiddies. This game could be more fun on a PA server perhaps. Time will tell I guess.
    It's really a completely different game. It's fair to say, "I prefer TF2 to this", but they're so different that anything past that isn't really going to be fair to either game.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dunno. I loved 2k4, and I do like this, but it just feels like they didn't change enough to make it a sequel. Yeah, tweaks here and there but there aren't even any new weapons, at least in this demo. I can't make a final decision on this game until I try Warfare, though. Which is why I'm pissed it isn't in the demo.

BiggNife on
    edited October 2007
    It's a good alternative to TF2 if you're looking for something faster paced with vehicles and crazy explosions.

I finally got into a VCTF map and completely rocked the other team. My score was always +30 points of the other teams highest scorer, and I didn't go a map without getting a hat trick. This game is tons of fun, I can't wait for Warefare mode.

Drool on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really don't like stuff like TF2.

I'm a throwback, though.

I still much prefer traditional deathmatch to any team-related anything.

slash000 on
    edited October 2007
    I really just hope the community persists a longer then UT2k4. I know people still play it, but it seemed there was only a few servers left after maybe a couple months. And then only the hardest of the "hardcore" crowd were interested in playing anymore.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    I really just hope the community persists a longer then UT2k4. I know people still play it, but it seemed there was only a few servers left after maybe a couple months. And then only the hardest of the "hardcore" crowd were interested in playing anymore.

Probably with the popularity of Gears and UT3 and with the Collectors edition coming with pretty much a Modders how to guide, I would say UT3 is better suited for lasting longer. It's also going to be across all platforms, excluding wii of course, but it will just be very popular.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I.E. it's slow and clunky and everything has been dumbed down with the idea of a gamepad in mind.

Ever played UT99?

Yeah. It plays like that.

You obviously haven't.

Here's hoping they add a classic mode like in 2K4. I'm pretty sure it had speed and gravity settings in UT2K4as well. It's pretty fun when the server admin is'nt randomly turning it on and off.

Waka Laka on
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I.E. it's slow and clunky and everything has been dumbed down with the idea of a gamepad in mind.

Ever played UT99?

Yeah. It plays like that.

You obviously haven't.

Here's hoping they add a classic mode like in 2K4. I'm pretty sure it had speed and gravity settings in UT2K4as well. It's pretty fun when the server admin is'nt randomly turning it on and off.

They did say they will offer something like that. Like old school vehicles, old school action.

Lucky Cynic on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like TF2. They made good changes all while refining the core gameplay.
    The changes to UT are unwarranted, and just dumb the game down for the console crowd.
    This is just wrong. I don't like console FPS games, I can't stand the joypad, and you are wrong. They made some changes to the core gameplay that you don't like and somehow these gameplay changes are 'dumbing it down' for the console crowd.

If you look at a game like Halo that was deliberately made with a console in mind it is slower moving with large reticle targets on most every weapon. That is a real difference, and you notice in when you play it on the PC. The only argument I can think that you would be making is that the game was grounded so that console users wouldn't have to be jumping around all the time? While the game is no longer set up to be played as vertically, it is now much faster on the ground. It still requires quick aiming, just horizontally moreso than vertically, and seems much more of a design choice to keep the action focused on a certain plane rather than "Console owners don't understand jump mechanics durrrrrrrrr."

I think this game is fabulous, personally. I will play the shit out of it.

JAEF on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    This game runs far better than it has any right to considering how amazing it looks.
    I'm playing on a 27" HDTV and it looks really pixelated. The lack of AA may be a deal breaker for me.

FreddyD on
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    This game runs far better than it has any right to considering how amazing it looks.
    I'm playing on a 27" HDTV and it looks really pixelated. The lack of AA may be a deal breaker for me.

There's no AA? I'm sure they'll have it in the full version.

xraydog on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    JAEF I agree with you buddy. I'll be playing the shit out of this game too. I've been missing the DM type games like this for a long time.

urahonky on
    edited October 2007
    xraydog wrote: »

Well of course it is! Why wouldn't it?! =/

Lucky Cynic on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you change the resolution? At 1900x1200 with maxed demo settings it looks great. Occasionally the resolution resets to ShitxFuck when you exit and restart the game.

JAEF on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, hoverboard flag carriers can still grapple on to vehicles. If anyone cooperates properly, you'll see manta speed flag carriers. or flying flag carriers. That's a time you'll be happy there's so many people who seem to like the sniper rifle.

Running into goliaths with scorpions just gets more and more awesome each time you do it.

I didn't seem to have any issues with lag on the server I played on for a few games (been playing mostly against bots), everything actually seemed to run quite well even in multiplayer. The lack of a ping display in any obvious place sort of sucks though.

Also, why can't BioShock look this pretty and run this well :(

Zell on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it just me, or do the levels feel really large in comparison to the characters? It feels like I'm running around a world that was built by giants (and apparently I stole their shoulderpads... seriously, why are they so big?)

Fats on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Wait...what?

Yeah I'm pretty sure this version of Unreal 3.0 can do AA, I have'nt tried forcing my card to do AA in properties yet, might have to see later.

The demo is lacking alot of the visual whizzbang like parralax mapping and a few layers of textures. It is a beta, so we're going to have to wait untill the full version to see what it can do.

Waka Laka on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought AA wasn't available unless you're running DX10.

Zxerol on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Wait...what?

Yeah I'm pretty sure this version of Unreal 3.0 can do AA, I have'nt tried forcing my card to do AA in properties yet, might have to see later.

The demo is lacking alot of the visual whizzbang like parralax mapping and a few layers of textures. It is a beta, so we're going to have to wait untill the full version to see what it can do.
    The game uses deffered shading so it isn't compatible with FSAA. Going from 2x-6x AA in the control panel had no effect on picture quality or framerate. Moving the detail sliders past 3 didn't have any noticeable effects.

Bumping the resolution down from 1360x768 to 1024x768 didn't have much of an impact on picture quality or framerate either, so there is definitely some shenanigans going on in the video settings.

FreddyD on
    edited October 2007
    I think they had to cop out a lot of graphical flash just to make it a more manageable file size. I mean, it already was pretty large but if they could save a couple hundred megs, at least they have shortened download time bye a bit and made the file downloading much more manageable for download Servers.

Lucky Cynic on
  • SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I read that AA was coming in a patch post-release.

SamuraiRock on