As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart 8: New Engine Class...WAY TOO FAST

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
WELCOME TO
tLTZbjh.jpg

I refuse to explain what Mario Kart to anyone. There's a decent chance the series is older than YOU, the person reading this thread. Yes, that should make the rest of us feel very, very old. But seriously: google it if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

If you feeling nostalgic, then here is my disgustingly biased synopsis of each game in the series.
wBVFl2W.jpg
Super Mario Kart
SNES (Available on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console)

The game that kicked off a subgenre of racing games. Dazzle at those Mode 7 graphics! The original may be hard for some people to transition to, as it's more racer than throw-shit-at-people. You typically get one item per lap, and item blocks do not regenerate, and this means some neat stuff like hidden item blocks that are off the beaten path but may give you an edge...so long as you get to it first. Some people really prefer this to all others, but it really depends on what you're looking for in a Mario Kart game. Only goes to two-players, though.

Play It? I feel like everyone should give this one a spin. Holds up decently well.

9Tu1YPA.png
Mario Kart 64
1996/1997
N64 (Available on Wii Virtual Console)

Mario Kart 64 changed things. First, the game is in glorious 3D (with sprites for racers/items) which made for larger and more complex tracks. Items are now in the regenerating boxes that have been the standard ever since, and they are liberally peppered throughout the track instead of just at the start. It also introduced "holding" items, giving you a free item spot and allowing one to use shells and bananas as a shield. Also introduced the infamous mini-boost from turns, giving us sparks in a variety of colors. TThe game's battle mode seems to be held in higher regard than actual racing, due to the well-crafted arenas and items. Block Fort for life!

Play It? Mario Kart 64 defined a lot of the standards for the series, and I think that alone merits a play.

kCfon4X.jpg
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
GBA (Available on 3DS Virtual Console ONLY as part of the Ambassador program)

Super Circuit is like a weird fusion of the first two games: you got the Mode 7 style and features like coins, but you also have the more frequent items. A lot of people consider this to be a hidden gem of the series, with solid track design and a feel that satisfies die-hards of the first game. It's also the first game to feature "Retro" cups with tracks from older games (in this case they're all from Super Mario Kart), effectively doubling the track selection. Has four-player versus, but good luck finding three other people with copies of this AND link cables.

Play It? If you don't mind single-player Mario Kart, it's a weird blend that works.

oCUM5Yz.jpg
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Gamecube (Disc can be played on Wii)

Double Dash!! changed a lot of things to the series, but it also established the standards set by 64. You pick TWO racers now (the only game in the series to let you do this), and each can hold an item for use. However, unlike 64 you cannot "hold" an item behind you and a character can lose items if you take a hard hit. This is also where the Blue Shell become the devil incarnate, gaining the ability to fly and blowing up on impact. This is also the first game to feature Kart Selection with their own stats, and is unique for being the only game in the series to have character-specific items (Mario/Luigi have fireballs, Peach/Daisy have the heart, etc). The game also featured "co-op" play, allowing two players to one kart, with one driving and the other using items and both working together for mini-boosts.

Play It? My favorite in the series so far. I love the feel and item balance here, and it's not terribly difficult to get a copy even a decade later.

FmVa8kD.jpg?1
Mario Kart DS
Nintendo DS (Cart can be played on 3DS)

This game got a lot of praise for excellent track design, balanced items, and adding the much-awaited feature of online play. Formally adds the retro cups with a collection of tracks from every previous title in the series, and continues with selecting both characters and karts for stats. The game is rather infamous for "snaking," where mini-boosts could be used even on straight paths to gain a ton of speed. This effectively shattered the players into pro and anti snaking camps, and it made online a bit harder to get into since one game could feature people snaking and the other would have people clueless about the technique.

Play It? Considered one of the best in the series, I recommend it. However, official online multiplayer no longer works.

T1Xx7FW.png
Mario Kart Wii
Wii (Disc can be played on Wii U)

Wii continued the tradition of building on the previous entries, this adds 12 players to the races as opposed to the traditional eight, and allows players to perform simple tricks while in the air to gain a boost. Motorcycles are an option alongside karts, and they trade mini-boost power for the ability to pop a wheelie for boosted speed at the cost of steering. This proved to be fairly unbalanced, but at least snaking was formally squashed in this version with revamped mini-boost controls. Wii also had its own online version, making improvements over what the DS offered. Also introduced alternate motion controls to steer the kart, a feature that would continue to not be used by anyone in games after this.

Play It? Pretty dang bad. Twelve racers fucked with how players got items, so it meant a lot of lightning bolts, blue shells, and then horrible new items like the POW block that also affected every racer. Basically you got hit with a storm of unavoidable bullshit. An awful mess that is best forgotten. Also official online multiplayer has been discontinued.

zr4Xw3L.jpg
Mario Kart 7
3DS

Does not have Waluigi in the roster, and thus is the worst in the series Going to numbered sequels for the first ever just...because, I like to think of 7 as unfucking all the bullshit heaped on Mario Kart from the Wii version. Bikes are gone, and the gimmick now is that karts can go underwater or sprout a parachute and glide through the air. This opened some alternate paths in courses, and overall was a solid entry if not revolutionary compared to others. Oh, and you can steer with gyroscope controls (no you won't). Noteworthy for having really good online play, which is still available! Play it!

Play It? WHAT DID I JUST SAY?

hsX78aY.jpg
GP Series
2005, 2007, 2013
Arcades

Because I know one of you will bring it up to be a smartass: yes, there have been Mario Kart arcade titles, but they are not part of the main series. They have actually all gotten releases outside of Japan, but it's likely none of you have played these considering the arcade attendance of places like North America. They have mechanics, items, and characters unique to the series, including Pac-Man as a racer since Namco helped develop the games. If you pass by a local arcade one day, then maybe duck inside and see if they have one of these playing.

E8SnxfP.jpg

Number eight in the series, and the first to be in sweet high definition. This entry runs at a hot 60fps at 720p (30fps in split-screen multiplayer) and features all the standard modes you love and hate. This also includes a slick online mode that is more or less the best the series has has ever seen. Join us, won't you?

New Characters
  • The Kooplings (Seriously, all of them!)
  • Baby Rosalina (...)
  • Pink Gold Peach (oh, fuck off)
  • Link (DLC 1)
  • Tanooki Mario (DLC 1)
  • Cat Peach (DLC 1)
  • Villager (both genders) (DLC 2)
  • Isabelle (DLC 2)
  • Dry Bowser (DLC 2)

Also, purchasing both DLC packs will unlock multiple colors for Yoshi and Shy Guy.

Items this time are different. You cannot hold an item behind you or deploy it to free up an item spot, which means you cannot grab an item while something like the triple red shells are active. You still get the protection from triple shells and such, but you have to use them up to get a new item.

New Items
  • Boomerang Flower - Allows you to fire a boomerang three times. It goes out a moderate distance and then heads back towards you, hitting anyone during the trip.
  • Piranha Plant - Temporarily places a potted piranha plant in front of you kart, which intermittently lunges forward and bites. It will automatically home in on players within range of it, and each lunge will give you a small boost of speed regardless of whether or not the plant bit anything.
  • Crazy Eight - Gives you eight orbiting items. Looks like it can be anything from Starman to Coins.
  • Super Horn - Fires a soundwave in a modest radius around your kart, knocking out any nearby drivers and destroying any incoming shells or other item. Yes, even the blue shell.

Returning Items
  • Fake Item Block
  • Coin
  • Green Shell (and Triple)
  • Red Shell (and Triple)
  • Mushroom (and Triple, which orbit your kart)
  • Golden Mushroom
  • Banana (and Triple, which orbit kart instead of trailing)
  • Lightning
  • Starman
  • Fire Flower
  • Bullet Bill
  • Bob-omb
  • Blooper
  • and yes, the Spiny "Blue" Shell

Retro Tracks
  • Moo Moo Meadows (Wii)
  • Mario Circuit (GBA)
  • Cheap Cheap Beach (DS)
  • Toad's Turnpike (N64)
  • Dry Dry Desert (GCN)
  • Donut Plains 3 (SNES)
  • Royal Raceway (N64)
  • DK Jungle (3DS)
  • Wario Stadium (DS)
  • Sherbet Land (GCN)
  • Music Park (3DS)
  • Yoshi Valley (N64)
  • Tick Tock Clock (DS)
  • Pirahna Plant Slide (3DS)
  • Grumble Volcano (Wii)
  • Rainbow Road (N64)

SNES: 1 Track
N64: 4 Tracks
GBA: 1 Track
GCN: 2 Tracks
DS: 3 Tracks
Wii: 2 Tracks
3DS: 3 Tracks

DLC Retro Tracks

DLC 1
  • Yoshi's Circuit (GCN)
  • Wario's Gold Mine (Wii)
  • Rainbow Road (SNES)

DLC 2
  • Baby Park (GCN)
  • Cheese Land (GBA)
  • Neo Bowser City (3DS)
  • Ribbon Road (GBA)

Nuts and Bolts

So Mario Kart 8 is numbered for good reason, as it really builds on 7's air/land/sea stuff and throws anti-gravity into the mix. So there are plenty of opportunities for you to get a lot of air and glide for a short period, and likewise there are underwater sections in several tracks (and it seems like retro courses have been modified even more than in 7 to allow for this). The anti-gravity segments you've probably seen: going upside, sideways and all over. At first blush this seems like a gimmicky thing that doesn't really add much to the game. However, there are subtle mechanics at play that really change things up. Besides the BIG OBVIOUS anti-gravity set pieces on each track, there are subtle, optional areas where anti-gravity gives you more options. Sometimes you can ride on a wall to avoid a player with dangerous orbitals or maybe go underwater for extra coins. In other words, anti-gravity has had a major impact on track design, and people who had played it are really digging it.

There's smaller, but still relevant, things like bumping into another player during anti-gravity to earn a speed boost. Older features like tricks, mini-turbos, slipstream, coins and so on have been included to allow for maximum speed. Kart customization is back, and previews are saying it's bigger than ever with more pieces than 7. There's also the return of bikes, which are faster on turns but slower than karts on straightaways. Kart customization is back, with about 52 parts divvied up over three areas of your kart: body, wheels, and glider. These offer flexibility in how your kart/bike performs, and there are a few more parts available via various DLC.

The gamepad is more or less used like the second screen in 7 or DS, and you can use the gyroscope for steering if gimmicky controls turn your crank. I imagine pro controller and wiimote + nunchuck are compatible, and you can PROBABLY slap a wiimote in the Wii Wheel and play that way if you are just that dedicated for motion controls. Like Wii and 7, I'm sure you'll get a golden wheel slapped on your account if you suffer through enough matches with the motion controls. Oh, and no off-screen player for local versus. It's just four player split-screen. Don't ask me why they couldn't do something Sega did no problem with Sonic All-Star Racing.

Another new feature is the fourth engine class: 200cc, a super fast mode that depends good control and use of braking to get around sharp turns.

DLC

Mario Kart has DLC! Like...real DLC with new content and stuff for you to buy. No, you are not hallucinating, although I too hear the choking rage of Hiroshi Yamauchi's dark spirit.

2Vo7Xlv.png
Mercedes-Benz "DLC"
Out Now!

This isn't so much DLC as it is a shameful advertising scheme, but it's three free vehicles based on Mercedes-Benz's line of vehicles. Just go online and download away if you feel like selling out.

qvC8nvi.png
rUg8Xbc.png
The real DLC, you can also purchase both as a bundle for twelve bucks. If you get either DLC (or the bundle, it doesn't matter), then you get a bunch of new colors for Yoshi and Shy Guy right now! Hooray for new content!

nS8Y55E.png
200cc is a special FREE addition to the game, and it introduces the fastest engine class Mario Kart has ever seen. This is the first time in the franchise's history that its exceeded the 150cc class, giving everyone a whole new racing experience.

Multiplayer

Check this spot for tournaments and other happenings!

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Week 46

START YOUR ENGINES! Week 46 races begin SUNDAY April 18th from 6 PM to 730 PM Central (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 11 PM to 1230 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, The settings poll has been retired. I may open it back up if there is demand for it. Going forward, here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

zlCfzTQNjuAaXM0kUA

SNES CLASSIC WEEKEND

This Sunday is SNES classic characters + Pipe Frame karts ONLY.

2rt8q9g8t0bk.jpg

Eligible racers for this weekend are:

Mario
    Luigi
    Toad
    Princess Peach
    Yoshi
    Koopa Troopa
    Donkey Kong Jr
    Bowser

Metal, Pink Gold, Cat, and Tanooki variations are allowed but discouraged.

Pipe Frame karts only! You may equip whichever wheels and glider you like.

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 1.5 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 04/12 Week 45: Mirror Normal Items PRINCESSES ONLY
    • 04/19 Week 46: 150cc Normal Items SNES RACERS + PIPE FRAME KART ONLY
    • 04/26 Week 47: 150cc Normal Items DLC ONLY
    • 05/03 Week 48: 200cc Normal Items
    See you on the track!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    No link to the new thread in the old thread? Bad form @Bobkins Flymo :P

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    So does the original koopa troopa mean we can play as any of the koopa kids?

I'll probably just go with Toadstool though. Do love the pipe frame kart, that's my go-to vehicle anyway.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I'll probably just go with Toadstool though. Do love the pipe frame kart, that's my go-to vehicle anyway.

Koopa Troopa ≠ Koopa Kids

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Koopa Troopa ≠ Koopa Kids

Koopa troopa = koopa kids in non-Euclidean karting

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
      edited April 2015
      I feel like using the Koopalings would go against the spirit of the SNES Classic Weekend.

I think I'll just go basic Mario this time.

physi_marc on
      3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
      Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
      Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
      I might actually be able to play this week, and I guess I'll use Peach?
      I haven't used anything but heavy weights in quite some time, or a kart for that matter, so that could prove, interesting.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
      Right now I'm leaning towards Bowser this weekend and Dry Bowser for next.

Stupid excited for all the new content and 200cc!

NNID: Rehab0
    • KupiKupi Registered User regular
      I've found that the speed-handling tradeoff with lightweights (or at least pseudo-lightweights like Peach and Daisy) is actually worth it sometimes. As much as everyone says handling is meaningless if you play well, sometimes you just need to nope out of the way of a banana or shell, and if your handling stat is crap, you're eating the spin-out. The kart that stays in motion continually is faster than the one that accelerates from a dead stop twice.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
      Kupi wrote: »
      I've found that the speed-handling tradeoff with lightweights (or at least pseudo-lightweights like Peach and Daisy) is actually worth it sometimes. As much as everyone says handling is meaningless if you play well, sometimes you just need to nope out of the way of a banana or shell, and if your handling stat is crap, you're eating the spin-out. The kart that stays in motion continually is faster than the one that accelerates from a dead stop twice.

Right? Everyone tells me to go heavy, but I often have trouble steering anyone heavier than Roy unless I make some serious modifications to my kart.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
      Steam: TimIsOnSteam
      Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
      Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
      PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      edited April 2015
      In the earlier Mario Karts it was heavier characters that required more skill to play because it took forever to get up to speed, but in 8 Morton/Wario/Bowser on an inside drifting bike with roller wheels get decent acceleration and higher overall skill points than anyone else.

They aren't guaranteed a win. It's more like you're gambling that you'll hold the lead for half a lap or so. Typically after that you'll be far enough ahead that the only thing that could stop you would be a bunch of mistakes or blue shells.

Now its the lightweight characters that require you to be technically proficient to compete against the heavier characters because they have higher top speeds, can knock you around, with inside bikes can turn very tightly, and with roller wheels not lack in the acceleration department. Seriously, if you see a featherweight take 1st online a bunch, you can watch the replay and they'll be some kind of corner-taking deity. I don't go below Mario in weight because I can't master tracks like other people can.

McFlynn on
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      True dat. I've seen some wicked Baby Rosalina players online.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      I may have gotten drunk tonight and purchased the Virtual console version of Mario Kart 64. I regret nothing.

• MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
      I like to play as different characters, and I think heavies have an advantage. A heavy in a top speed kart has the worst handling setup in the game, but it can still hug 90% of the turns.

I'm curious and excited to see how 200cc will shake things up. Which will be faster, a heavy that has to brake or a lightweight that doesn't?

I think heavies are going to eat a lot of walls in 200cc.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
      Yeah, there are a fair few corners I can barely scrape round on a heavy sports bike (rainbow road spring to mind immediately), 200cc should prove interesting in that regard.

• ConnConn Registered User regular
      I'm inclined to think that heavies will still fair better than lightweights. We'll need to use our brakes more, certainly, but the stat advantage stands.

If I turn out to be wrong, though, it'll be nice to go back to some other builds again.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Conn wrote: »

If I turn out to be wrong, though, it'll be nice to go back to some other builds again.

You can still go back to other builds!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
        Just got back from my honeymoon cruise to the Bahamas (which is why I missed last week), so I'm excited to be back. I'll be rocking Bowser tonight (since he's closest to my Metal Mario ;) )

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
        Are we starting soon? Never started a tournament from the beginning before

edited April 2015
        I'll be missing again this week as I am on the road :( Going to be real super rusty when I'm back in action next week!

If someone could please post tonight's results that'd be super.

AbsoluteZero on
        cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        edited April 2015
        Or not. Communication error message. Will hop in at the next chance.

NaturalNarcissist on
      • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        Luigi number one!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
        Damn, that is the first disconnect error I've had in awhile.

Hopefully the last for sometime too.

edited April 2015
        Stuck in the lobby, hopefully I can join in once mute city is done. Is the second race happening? Goddamn it Nintendo.

NaturalNarcissist on
        Ugh. I keep getting absolutely destroyed by items tonight.

I'll be missing again this week as I am on the road :( Going to be real super rusty when I'm back in action next week!

If someone could please post tonight's results that'd be super.

Don't worry, can't be worse than some of us.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        Any tips on how I can join? This is rather infuriating. Just stuck at the lobby "waiting for everyone to suggest a course"

Any tips on how I can join? This is rather infuriating. Just stuck at the lobby "waiting for everyone to suggest a course"

If you're friends with one of us, select Join a friend from the online menu instead of joining the tournament.

If you're friends with anyone in the tourney, you can always join them.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        If you send me a friend request, I'll try to accept it between the next races.

physi_marc wrote: »

You can't access the home screen when in a tourney though.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        skeldare wrote: »
        physi_marc wrote: »

You can't access the home screen when in a tourney though.

Yeah, just learned that. -_-

Sent a friendrequest to physi_marc, even if its just for next time. Tried restarting the system and the application and no luck, just takes me to an empty lobby.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        Fucking hell, from 3rd to 10th place on the final stretch of the course

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
        Sent a friendrequest to physi_marc, even if its just for next time. Tried restarting the system and the application and no luck, just takes me to an empty lobby.

I accepted your request!

I'm in! I got a nasty message about how I've already participated in the max number of races, so my score is borked! But i'm in!

This is easily the most unreliable my connection has ever been.

I was spectating Bowser's Castle and everyone froze and then "A communication error has occurred appeared." Now I've gotten it during a race as all of you froze and I stayed in motion, followed by the same error message moments later. Anyone else having wierd issues?

The main group is so clustered that once you get hit, you drop 5-6 places at once. This is quite challenging.

I'm beginning to think Toad may not have been the best choice.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      This discussion has been closed.