As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Bioware's treatment of Revan in SWTOR has made me wary of them "choosing a canon" and introducing that canon to the game - though granted that's written by an entirely different team.

I think they do have to choose a canon, but I hope at least they're vague on the details.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Bioware's treatment of Revan in SWTOR has made me wary of them "choosing a canon" and introducing that canon to the game - though granted that's written by an entirely different team.

I think they do have to choose a cannon, but I hope at least they're vague on the details.

Well one of the three endings is straight out.

The other two amount to much the same thing. Enough so that they can be vague enough about what happened to the Reapers/Shepard without it sounding dumb.

Heh, they could even be cute about it and have some incidental dialogue between random NPCs.

"Oh yeah dude, I heard when Shepard destroyed the Repears it looked amazing."
    "What? Man everyone knows Shepard merged with the Reapers and flew off in to space."
    "Dude, my buddy's brother's wife was there and she said they all blew up."
    "She would've been, like, three at the time."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Guys. GUYS.

THERE'S NOW AN OFFICIAL PLUSH ELCOR. THAT TALKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcqcZgHIyg

THIS IS A REAL THING YOU CAN BUY.

You mean this is a thing I have just purchased, right this second.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oh man I am all about Colony Effect.

And seamlessly sending multiplayer commandoes out for strike missions. Including elite vault raids? Yes please.

It sounds like the Brotherhood missions from the AC series, except that you can take over them yourself.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Maaaaan... I want that Elcor, but everything I want at the Bioware store is always sold out :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You can't just go "Who cares" with Mass Effect. This isn't God of War. The canon matters, and the players who tend to enjoy Mass Effect tend to enjoy strong, consistent canon.

Are you serious

Man, there hasn't been consistent canon from the second conversation you have in the first game

Ninety nine percent of the codex is meaningless fluff that they never bring up, and anything about any sort of space combat is brazenly ignored for cinematic value

The birth and maturation cycle for krogan is so fucked we don't even know if they lay eggs or give live birth, nor do we know precisely what the genophage, a major plot point in two of the three games, even does to their species precisely

Consistent canon is not a thing that Mass Effect is built around, and if it is, it's some shaky fucking sand, man

I'm just saying lean into that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Green is easy to canon.
    The reapers are gone (green never happened, you were just high as fuck on space acid)

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I do not like this alleged premise at all. I'd much, much rather be romping around the Milky Way.

I'm going to miss the Citadel. :(

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oh man oh man oh man oh man I am so ready for more Mass Effect holy shit.

I've been holding off doing a series play through - and I never actually went back and played the ME3 updated ending or DLC- but I'm convinced that a "remastered" or whatever trilogy will come out before too long.

Ah man, you're in for a treat. All the ME3 DLC is pretty good, IMO, but Citadel is on an entirely different level. Probably the best ME DLC in the whole trilogy.

I know! I'm really excited to see that stuff eventually. I loved ME3 as it was, so I'm stoked to see what the updates and DLC do. I was totally set to get ME3 on PC and buy all the dlc, but the lack of controller support killed it for me unfortunately.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    Honestly, I do not like this alleged premise at all. I'd much, much rather be romping around the Milky Way.

Well one thing we can be pretty sure on is that the game takes place in another galaxy.

Bioware themselves said that much awhile back when they first announced they were working on the game.

Although at the time they also said the new game would actually take place during the events of the ME trilogy and not after. That tidbit left a lot of people sour so I'd not be surprised if they changed it since then. Which, if these leaks are to be believed, they have.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    at this point i'm most excited about the squadmates and the gameplay. i'm sure the writing will be excellent, and i'm really hoping for better planning this time around, but at least i know i'll like shooting mans with friends.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Axen wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »

Well one thing we can be pretty sure on is that the game takes place in another galaxy.

Bioware themselves said that much awhile back when they first announced they were working on the game.

Although at the time they also said the new game would actually take place during the events of the ME trilogy and not after. That tidbit left a lot of people sour so I'd not be surprised if they changed it since then. Which, if these leaks are to be believed, they have.

Both could easily be consistent.

Why would humanity need to build a colony ship? Why would that ship be alone in the frontier without support or reinforcements? Why would Krogans (and I'm assuming all the other ME universe aliens) be along on a human colonization mission?

Because the Reapers just invaded the galaxy and look like they are going to roll across all the species on their regularly scheduled genocide tour. While Shepherd is out saving the universe, another division of the Alliance decides to use an intergalatic Reapertech cross-galaxy bridge they discovered to launch an ark out of the Reapers path. Plan B.

The game follows the fate of that ship. The Alliance threw the bridge in the sun after they left, signals will take millions of years to reach Earth, so you are out on your own with no way of knowing whether Shepherd chose red, blue or green.

Phillishere on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am simply aflutter with the potential there.

But recognize it could totally be out of date info, speculative, subject to change, or flat out manufactured.

I just want to believe.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Remastering the trilogy is kinda pointless unless they change the bits of the plot that came from making everything up as they went along. Cerberus is incredibly inconsistent, for example.

I might be alone on this, but I think it would be nice to have just two or three combat companions, all of whom accompany you everywhere, and just have each of them be huge, as opposed to some stuff for twelve different characters.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the ship - or ships, sounds like its a Battlestar Galactica situation - serve as locations we can explore. That would allow the ships to serve as the Mass Effect hubs we all know and love, with Blasto and dance clubs and shops that sell goldfish and give discounts to brave commanders.

And off the ships, they can make the aliens very alien. Make the new side of the universe strange and hostile and weird.

Remastering the trilogy is kinda pointless unless they change the bits of the plot that came from making everything up as they went along. Cerberus is incredibly inconsistent, for example.

I might be alone on this, but I think it would be nice to have just two or three combat companions, all of whom accompany you everywhere, and just have each of them be huge, as opposed to some stuff for twelve different characters.

For my money, remastering the trilogy is only pointless if they refuse to pack in the DLC

AGAIN

Fuck's sake, does anyone even know another game that had major DLC released that never got a GOTY edition?

signature-deffo.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Fuck's sake, does anyone even know another game that had major DLC released that never got a GOTY edition?

Dragon's Age 2!

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Dragon's Age 2!

Is Dragon's Age like Demon's Souls or Dragon's Dogma?

signature-deffo.jpg
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with mass effect hype right now.

Unless they're all "yo this shit is six months out" I think I'm going to have to ignore it all.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Dragon's Age 2!

Is Dragon's Age like Demon's Souls or Dragon's Dogma?

:redface:

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with mass effect hype right now.

Unless they're all "yo this shit is six months out" I think I'm going to have to ignore it all.

Cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait for the dust to settle.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Don't really mind you can only play as a human in SP. Got my fix in MP.

However, I am very dissapointed that they didn't go with XCOM style teammates/crew members. I completely understand why they wouldn't, an unkillable (outside cutscenes) team of misfits is Bioware's MO. But there is no reason why we couldn't also have, say, your trio (you and two bros), and maybe half a platoon of randomly generated named recruits for some missions.

These mooks will level up, have some minor dialouge, etc. You might get attached, but they don't have plot armor. Typical XCOM status.

"Dang, I lost that veteran NCO, who hated the shit out of batarians. That guy was awesome. Sad face. Add his name to the wall".

This game seems to be treading in exactly that direction, with building colonies and getting resources and putting out fires. Just go whole hog and make slightly larger engagements. If anything, expendable red shirts is another HUGE avenue for customization and advancement.

Just hurry up and combine ME and XCOM gameplay already, damnit! You're so close!

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    They tried that once, and it made the Bureau.
    A game I actually enjoyed, tbh

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com

However, I am very dissapointed that they didn't go with XCOM style teammates/crew members. I completely understand why they wouldn't, an unkillable (outside cutscenes) team of misfits is Bioware's MO. But there is no reason why we couldn't also have, say, your trio (you and two bros), and maybe half a platoon of randomly generated named recruits for some missions.

These mooks will level up, have some minor dialouge, etc. You might get attached, but they don't have plot armor. Typical XCOM status.

"Dang, I lost that veteran NCO, who hated the shit out of batarians. That guy was awesome. Sad face. Add his name to the wall".

This game seems to be treading in exactly that direction, with building colonies and getting resources and putting out fires. Just go whole hog and make slightly larger engagements. If anything, expendable red shirts is another HUGE avenue for customization and advancement.

Just hurry up and combine ME and XCOM gameplay already, damnit! You're so close!

Given how people hate losing things or possible content in BioWare games and RPGs in general, this would be the worst idea possible

Because whatever starting group of red shirts you start with would be the only ones people would ever see, and any time they died there would be the collective sighs of people reloading saves the world over

You would need to divorce this shit completely from any previous story based BioWare games to make that work, and it's just not what people want or expect from a Mass Effect game

People want an ensemble they come to love and care about, not a bunch of disposable mooks they have to write personalities for themselves! That's what multiplayer is for

signature-deffo.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wait so it's about Captain Shepard finding a new home by flying the Citadel into another galaxy? And everyone is back and they all have equal screentime? Cool!
    this might not be what went into my head when reading that possible leak, but it's all that's coming out of it

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Given how people hate losing things or possible content in BioWare games and RPGs in general, this would be the worst idea possible

Because whatever starting group of red shirts you start with would be the only ones people would ever see, and any time they died there would be the collective sighs of people reloading saves the world over

You would need to divorce this shit completely from any previous story based BioWare games to make that work, and it's just not what people want or expect from a Mass Effect game

People want an ensemble they come to love and care about, not a bunch of disposable mooks they have to write personalities for themselves! That's what multiplayer is for

That's why you keep the typical ensemble, like the 7 the leak mentions. You have supplementary mooks in combat. I think having the perma-buddies like in all the other bioware games means people will do less save scumming. "I lost Red Shirt! At least I have you, Not-Wrex and Not-Garrus. You'll never leave me!" This could also alleviate an issue of a doom-spiril, where you wipe a squad and have shirts doing crazy missions. At least this way you have a solid anchor in Not-shepherd and friends. A luxury you never get in XCOM and XCOM derivitives.

Denying potentially great content because people will save scum is nearsighted, but sadly the likely result.

They tried that once, and it made the Bureau.
    A game I actually enjoyed, tbh

This doesn't bother me in the slightest. One game not realizing its potential and being average doesn't mean much. Plus, combat on a slightly larger scale where you could have a supplemental mob squad and having your story heavy characters is having your cake and eating it too.

People will probably complain that leading, say 10-15 people in combat is too unwieldy. And that's an argument I would listen to. And Bioware isn't so great at that larger tactical stuff, nor do they seem to care. Looking at you, neutered DA:I tactics. Ugh why would you limit the AI scripting?

OpposingFarce on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    This is Mass Effect not-4 Comicon panel is almost a year old, but I hadn't seen it before. Covers some of the N7 modular armor/clothing design and has video footage of the new Mako.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YqU7CT3XQ

Modular, highly customizable armor is the best thing.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mako-thread!

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    YES! MORE. MASS. EFFECT. WANT. NOW.

also... this is the chance to re-introduce ammo-less guns! You know you want it...

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm totally replaying through the trilogy right now.

My hype levels are higher than an Asari on Red Sand.

sig.gif
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I... actually don't care very much for the 'new galaxy' idea at all.

Like, if you're going to basically change the entire setting bar a few tenuous connections to the previous games, might as well make it that 'new IP' that y'all were talking about at E3 all those yonks ago.
    Doubly so if they're just going to repeat the exact same narrative tropes and not even bother to put the effort into hiding it.

But whatever, speculations gonna speculate

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    there's fantastic reasons to keep it mass effect, just in a different galaxy
    krogan

krogan

krogan

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    I'm hip for a new galaxy. Given that the Mass Effect works anywhere in that universe, they've got unlimited room to fuck around. Just have SuperProtheanReaper Galactic Relays powered by collapsed quads and neutron stars to catapult us about.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I am all about going out and exploring space again.

That was one of the things that I really felt was lost moving from 1 to 2.

Along with infinite ammo guns.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • RedBeardJimRedBeardJim Registered User regular
    there's fantastic reasons to keep it mass effect, just in a different galaxy
    dollar

dollar

bills

OptimusZed wrote: »
    I am all about going out and exploring space again.

That was one of the things that I really felt was lost moving from 1 to 2.

Along with infinite ammo guns.

The convo you have with Conrad Verner about that is incredible.

Speaking of, he better be in 4. No explanation provided, just there.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I've never seen Verner outside of ME1...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Oh, BioWare, you had me at "horde mode multiplayer".

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    What I like about the sound of this game, and from what the developers have been saying, is that it once again sounds big, and slow, and spacious. The reason I love ME1 the mostest is because it takes time to do things. Space is big (You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is), and it's the only one in the series that really felt like it had the patience to convey this. Wandering around a new galaxy discovering stuff and seeding colonies sounds like the right approach to get back to that sense of wonder and exploration. Suits me just fine.

forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.