As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Stealing Hearts & Streams

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited April 2017 in Games and Technology
pvUL7fE.png
Ah, greetings. You must be new. I will be with you shortly.
Until then, you may find the following data of use.

Welcome to the Megaten(Shin Megami Tensei)/Persona thread.
This will be for discussion and advice on everything from the core games to obscurities to Devil Summoner and to, of course, Persona.

Beware ye who enter, for here there be demons.

hacking2.png
Accessing archives, please wait . . .
The following banners are courtesy of Vally.
iZYZ5YiH2JTUO.png

This is where it all begins.

Core games revolve around the standard theme of one man(and occasionally his significant other) and an army of demons against even larger armies of demons.

The core games are, thus far, Shin Megami Tensei:

smt1-mcd2.jpg
(Playable as a fan translated Super Famicom title, also ported to the M/Sega CD, PC Engine, PSX, and GBA.)

Shin Megami Tensei II

smt22.jpg
(Playable as a fan translated Super Famicom title, also later ported to the PSX and GBA.)

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

smt3a.jpg
(The first core game released in the US. Playable on the PS2, as well as the unreleased 'Raidou' edition with Raidou Kuzunoha instead of Dante.)

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

strangejourneya.jpg
(Debatable as whether or not it's [strike]SMT IV[/strike] a core title until the end of time; call it what you will, this is a true throwback to SMT I&II, as presented by one of the godfathers of Megaten.)

Shin Megami Tensei IV

oSkvp9v.jpg
It's no Nocturne, but all things considered, it's a damn valiant effort. A must-play.

ilgIpfrSXmRPD.png

The series that needs no introduction. The Persona titles are largely responsible for introducing the world at large to Megaten, and remains the most popular series under the Megaten umbrella.

ibaOjtmpNK5lRD.png

Although Devil Summoner's something of a second-stringer in the side-story category, with four games under their belts, the Kuzunoha Clan won't be denied.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
(Saturn/PS1/PSP*, 1995)
*direct port, never localized

devsum2.jpg

The adventures of the Kuzunohas begin here. The game has not aged well, but the atmosphere is still solid.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
(Saturn/PS1)

soulhack2.jpg

With Innocent Sin's recent US release, this is now a contender for the cherished title of 'best SMT game never localized'. It deserves it.

SoulHackersUS.jpg

Well, except for the fact that it's been localized! Atlus USA went all out for the localization, and even gave m-f-in Sid Davis an awesome voice.

It was so worth the wait.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha
(PS2)

char-raidoua.jpg

Does this smooth pimp of love really need an introduction? Maybe. If so, enjoy.

ibpCXKCDC21Vpy.png

Another side-story series, limited to two games, but it runs on the Nocturne engine, and it's among the finest works the R&D1 team have ever done, so it gets some love too.

dds2-3.jpg

Here's all you need to know about DDS:

History

Amazing Music

ibzNwPbaNhXfg1.png

Limited to but not including:

Devil Survivor (DS) / Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)
Devil Survivor 2 & Record Breaker (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei: If... (SNES/PSX, never localized)
DemiKids: Light and Dark
Majin Tensei
Imagine
Jack Bros(!?)
NINE(???)
etc.

Recent & Forthcoming Titles of Note
(Persona 5 | PS3 & PS4)
54D35E153C330B0011
0KvUGxB.jpg

(Persona 4: Dancing All Night | PSV)
FxnHD0T.png
persona-4-dancing-alltall9.jpg

(Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker | 3DS)
dPIJarZ.jpg
DS2RB-610.jpg

(Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth | 3DS)
BkYH8kVCMAADY-7.jpg:large
ytGXomd.jpg

(Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers | 3DS)
SoulHackersUS.jpg
uLeb4Cw.jpg

(Shin Megami Tensei IV | 3DS)
oSkvp9v.jpg
FhVJVct.png

(Persona 4 Arena Ultimax | PS3/360)
1402059797-p4a2-jp-package-art-reveal-noscale.jpg
ib50AoPvIVmTs.jpg
ifrwI5fB4EAn5.jpg

b1jbKi6.jpg
Oh, you were here to see Kuzunoha? Sorry, chief.
Your access privileges just got revoked.

spookies.jpg

As always, the only rule:

EUMSZWf.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Latest from Persona Q:

Sweaty Guys can jump in a fire and die.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Apparently not.

Seventy-some luck and Impure Reach and she can't land Tentarafoo on an FOE to save her life.

Stagnant Air.

That said, it still often will take a few tries. But it's so worth it when it lands on an FoE or boss.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Apparently not.

Seventy-some luck and Impure Reach and she can't land Tentarafoo on an FOE to save her life.

Stagnant Air.

That said, it still often will take a few tries. But it's so worth it when it lands on an FoE or boss.

Stagnant Air would be great if she ever landed Panic in the first place. :P

camo_sig2.png

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Apparently not.

Stagnant Air.

Oops, got the order wrong.

Debilitate helps quite a bit and the character who gets it is pretty much always going to move before Yukari.

Then stagnant air plus binds.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Ultimax is $20 at Play-asia now(and $22 at Amazon), so my copy's en route.

Yeah, I waited.

Did you get the PS3 version?

Wanna play sometime?

Sure. I can only imagine how outclassed Lizzie must be compared to the new comers. I'll probably find a new sub among them. Likely Adachi(because why not) or Ken.

Yeah, she's pretty outclassed compared to the whole cast, considering everybody got buffed except for her (I mean, I guess she can inflict Negative status, but that's more a gimmick than an actual advantage). Her biggest problem is probably a lack of mixups, but on top of that it's very easy to avoid getting hit by Thanatos, and if she ever gets Persona broken you might as well put the controller down until the next round.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, Margaret has insane mixups, incredible tools, a strong neutral game and can move around the screen almost at will.

If you need a sub, you could do a lot worse.

edited April 2015
    Apparently not.

Stagnant Air.

Oops, got the order wrong.

Debilitate helps quite a bit and the character who gets it is pretty much always going to move before Yukari.

Then stagnant air plus binds.

I'm saving P3MC for my P3 runthrough so no Debilitate for me (unless I can get it on subpersonas, that I don't know). I have the P4MC as my Hama/Mudo guy since he's pretty fast and has decent luck, so I just stuck Tentarafoo on him (well, on his subpersona), too. Between the two of them casting it and dropping a Panic Circle, I can usually get them locked down in a turn or two now, and then Kanji's ready with his Power Charged, Dragon Called Myriad Arrows started by a Spotlight Shinjiro Stardrop. It's pretty great.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, Margaret has insane mixups, incredible tools, a strong neutral game and can move around the screen almost at will.

If you need a sub, you could do a lot worse.

Oh yeah, I forgot she was in. I'll have a lot to play around with.

wVEsyIc.png
    Well. It's happened. Persona Q has made me want to replay Persona 4.

Someone send me a Vita so I can play Golden.

camo_sig2.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Don't tell me you ditched your PS2.

wVEsyIc.png
    No, I still have it.

I just want to play Golden. :(

camo_sig2.png

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    It pleases me greatly that the P3 FeMC's battle theme is all about how she's a huge badass who's going to mercilessly annihilate her enemies.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    No, I still have it.

I just want to play Golden. :(

I'd only be interested in the Adachi content, and maybe the optional dungeon.

wVEsyIc.png
    Get a PSTV! They are cheap!

Get a PSTV! They are cheap!

I thought you needed a PS4 for that to work?

camo_sig2.png

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nope. Just plug it in, buy P4G on PSN, start playing. You can get a bundle with all the cables and the controller. Or if you have a PS3 or PS4 controller and the cables, you're set.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2015
    That is tempting. Will I need a Vita memory card or does it come with a small one normally? Looks like the bundle (on Amazon) has one, but I don't know about the normal one.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

The base version does not come with a card. And it does need one. There are lots of different bundles with cards and various games or controllers, I believe.

uyvfOQy.png
    Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely consider it next payday.

camo_sig2.png

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Durarara-DLC is kind of super strong.

The Vita is a great console, though, and does have great multi-tasking with other apps, so at least consider one. PSP games run great on it, too.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2015
    I really recommend getting a PS4 controller with the PSTV so you can do touch screen things. If you just want to use a PS3 controller, I think you still can but you have to use the analog sticks to move little hands around the screen, which is a pain in the ass but not that big a deal if you'll mostly be playing P4G. I would have to look to see if that's possible but I think it is, you have to click down on the sticks to make it work. You'll pretty much be doing it for the SOS function during dungeons and maybe for the "see what other players did on this day" thing.

Anyway, PSTV is a great little box, even though it doesn't play every Vita game. You can still play pretty much every Persona game, including P3P and the PSP version of Innocent Sin.

joshofalltrades on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I wish it were possible to play PSP games on the PS3. I understand why it's not, but it would be nice.

steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I wish it were possible to play PSP games on the PS3. I understand why it's not, but it would be nice.

Interestingly enough, PS3s actually have a working and legit PSP emulator on them. That's why you can play Minis on a PS3. The emulator on normal firmware is just locked to only work on Minis, but it's fully featured.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Wow, the Reaper does not fuck around. The spider FOEs go down in, like, three rounds (Dragon Call, Power Charge, Elec Link), but the Reaper is all "lol Power Charge Myriad Arrows Have a nice day!"

camo_sig2.png

Finished with the P4 side. Ashly Burch really did a great job. Knocked those last scenes out of the park.

camo_sig2.png

Kind of funny how that worked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZpQid-kN8

wVEsyIc.png
    Theo costume clearly the best costume.

camo_sig2.png

There's also been some controversy over certain songs being locked to certain characters, supposedly because it was choreographed specifically to them or some such.

I don't really mind, but it is kind of strange.

wVEsyIc.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So I decided to dig out my psp and was going through my games to see what I wanted to play and decided on messing around with P3. I just hit 2nd block arqa and it just seems like it takes an insane amount of time to level up. I've got some personas that got boosted a few levels from social links but it just seems like I'll have to grind for like hours to gain levels and unlock more personas.

Am I missing something, or is there just a ton of mindless grinding?

Enigmedic wrote: »
    So I decided to dig out my psp and was going through my games to see what I wanted to play and decided on messing around with P3. I just hit 2nd block arqa and it just seems like it takes an insane amount of time to level up. I've got some personas that got boosted a few levels from social links but it just seems like I'll have to grind for like hours to gain levels and unlock more personas.

What difficulty did you choose? You should never be grinding in Persona 3, if you are you either picked a difficulty setting that's too high (which only messes with damage and experience, the latter of which necessitates grinding) or are doing it wrong.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

What difficulty did you choose? You should never be grinding in Persona 3, if you are you either picked a difficulty setting that's too high (which only messes with damage and experience, the latter of which necessitates grinding) or are doing it wrong.

That's what has me wondering wtf I'm doing wrong. I'm just playing on normal. I remember playing it on my PS2 on the FES version and didn't have nearly as much trouble even though I think your characters actually got tired after being in tartarus for a while in that version. That was quite a while ago now though.

Okay, you're just overleveled for the enemies you're fighting now. Don't grind. Press on as high as you can go and eventually you'll get to a place where the enemies give you decent experience.

Basically, if you can get to the highest floors in Tartarus without an issue, you won't have a problem with that month's full moon boss.

Got some good financial news so I went ahead and picked up P4G and a PSTV.

1) Holy crap does P4G look amazing
    2) I am officially not a fan of New Chie. :(

camo_sig2.png

I was gonna awesome your post until 2)

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

She grows on you, though it might be the Stockholm Syndrome talking.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Yeah, after watching the Endurance Run with vanilla P4 I have to say the original Chie is-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAefGu7EIOk&ab_channel=McPwned

Nevermind.

uyvfOQy.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    New aha better.

I think I'd take a poorly done aha and a well done everything else over the reverse.

camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.