As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Im considering a way of making various tiles for infinity and found this on ebay:

HDF(?) Tiles

How easy would this be to work with you think. Would want to add the odd layer by sticking foamcore on it ultimately. What about painting, just a seal/prime and go?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    HDF is high-density fiber. Should just be seal and go, that kind of material tends to soak up a lot of paint otherwise.

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    This is like watching a giant multi-member bro-mance in a world where men have feelings. J knows you love him! Just look at all the slob on his nob.

But seriously I love the neon green with the big blue cloak.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Prime wrote: »
    Im considering a way of making various tiles for infinity and found this on ebay:

HDF(?) Tiles

How easy would this be to work with you think. Would want to add the odd layer by sticking foamcore on it ultimately. What about painting, just a seal/prime and go?

I've worked a bunch with MDF (Medium-Density Fiberboard) and HDF (High-Density Fiberboard), and yeah it's super absorbent, as it's an engineered wood product. HDF less so than MDF, but still. Unless you want to paint it in a whole bunch of passes, you'll want to lay down some sort of primer/sealant layer first. Note that it'll also absorb moisture from the air. With a 3 mm panel thickness I would worry a tiny bit about panel warping, but for 12"x12" tiles this should be less of a problem. Controlled environmental storage helps.

Also be aware that if you intend to cut it the resulting dust is of super-fine granularity and not the most healthy thing to be breathing. Cut outside where possible, wear a mask, etc.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Should I drill out the exhaust on the bikes?

Ahhh, I already know the answer to that. Blech.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I finished painting something...mostly because I was paid to do it. He wanted white! I said there is too much empty space on a Kraken for white, let me do this up nice for you.

vDspEF9.jpg
    G2AGTL4.jpg

JwndkY1.jpg

HDfmSkN.jpg

If it was my own I would have painted the sand and maybe done some more extreme highlighting but I wanted it to fit in with his army so I didn't go overboard. Yes, I made the dock out of popsicle sticks but I still think it worked.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    The white is amazing.
    To be honest the green and gold kinda let it down though. They look a bit unfinished.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »
    The white is amazing.
    To be honest the green and gold kinda let it down though. They look a bit unfinished.

Yeah, I agree but he wanted it to match his army and I wasn't getting paid that much so table top quality it is! Gold, wash, highlight. Maybe I'll bring some paint with me next time we play and touch up the green, though.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Should I drill out the exhaust on the bikes?

Ahhh, I already know the answer to that. Blech.

Okay, all 4 exhaust pipes drilled out, both bike's bolters drilled out, and the two barrels on the combi-melta drilled out. Yes, it will look better in the end. That's what it's all about. Right?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    No, mostly it's about avoiding the constant "you forgot to drill the holes" comments later on.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Did you remember to drill them out through your fingers?

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Seems you have acquired a reputation, Val. :snap:

Don't be cruel you guys.
    Words can cut deep.

You guys wound me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    You guys wound me.

No more than you wound yourself, apparently. ;)

I can't help but agree to that. :)

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    He is done I think, not too shabby for me, 3 nights on and off with a bit here and a bit there. I hope I can stick with it and do the 5 of them I have with these weapons. :)

JyVa6pA.jpg

As you can clearly see I'm painting this guy red.

iid9bpl83yc7.jpg

And several thin coats of Red Shade later...

usyv6g7nwnuc.jpg

This is also an excellent method to paint flayed skin if you stop a coat or two earlier.

I'm going to work a bit more on the face to bring the details back.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Nice to see Giraldez's workflow in action. I really need to try some of that myself. Wondering if it might work in reverse, if I do a dark undercoat and apply some very light washes starting with white ...

• WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    A few more mostly finished models. God the new plastic HQ units are fun to paint.

ndcNOMK.jpg
    KoEiFTV.jpg
    Bt6dwkl.jpg

God I love that green with the rust spots.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It's like staring into a Michael Bay movie.

-Loki- wrote: »
    It's like staring into a Michael Bay movie.

Man, Transformers 2 was more like Attack of the Carrot People.

Sure, orange and teal complement each other nicely, but they kind of turned it to eleven.

mh9Mpfp.jpg

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    You know what's cool, orange and teal gems.
    IMG_1542.JPG

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    @Woozl Ugh. Man you are putting me to shame on the Dark Eldar I've got painted. Those colors are so nice! I stared into the unfeeling mask of the Cronos model and fell in love.

@Woozl Ugh. Man you are putting me to shame on the Dark Eldar I've got painted. Those colors are so nice! I stared into the unfeeling mask of the Cronos model and fell in love.

You can do it! If the cronos doesn't suck out your soul first.

Nice to see Giraldez's workflow in action. I really need to try some of that myself. Wondering if it might work in reverse, if I do a dark undercoat and apply some very light washes starting with white ...

I didn't take pics of all the layers, but here are various stages.

CDSikdrWAAEL8TK.jpg:large

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The march of the metal machines continues. Just finished another group of BattleTech figs, a Lance of the 1st Canopian Light Horse from the Magistracy of Canopus.

IMG_20150422_175011535.jpg

White primer, VGC Cobra Leather basecoat, VMC Old Gold drybrush, Citadel Seraphim Sepia wash, VMC Old Gold drybush #2, VMC Gold drybrush for highlights. VMC Deep Yellow and VGC Bad Moon Yellow for detailing. This was the model I was using as a reference, and I'm pretty happy how mine turned out. My yellow-technique still needs some work, and bits of the detailing are very basic (gotta work on my cockpit and laser lens jewelling), but I'm super happy how the gold turned out. I followed this process I found on BoLS, and it worked pretty well. It could be highlighted brighter, but the effect in person is satisfying enough as it stands.
    IMG_20150422_175315359.jpg
    IMG_20150422_175125862.jpg

More shots at the Photobucket.

Next up: a Star of Clan Jade Falcon scout/skirmishers. Green erry day. I'm excited.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    They're so clean!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The more I look at it and compare it to the other models the more i think my main problem is a slight miscast on the gun holding arm. I've got a few ideas to fix the issue.

Shit not fitting together properly is 50% of the reason my copy of Operation Icestorm sits on a shelf until someone takes it or I throw it out.

I mean, if you're giving it away, I'll take it off your hands ... ;D

I tried that. He's not giving it away, yet. I guess I should just keep on camping the dumpster.

• LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    Got my first grotesque done, happy with the outcome, 9 more to go.

IEcjwZV.jpg

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That looks completely badass.

you painted the fur the same color as the flesh! it doesn't stand out as much! GENIUS GOOD SIR.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    And now that everyone is posting pictures of their beautiful Dark Eldar models! I'll offer up a picture of my much less beautiful ones...

I just got the washes done on my first ten Kabalite Warriors. They're my first painted Dark Eldar models and they're actually the first models I've ever done washes on.
    cky95v8cb75k.jpg

• LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    I thought about painting the fur parts like quills but was happy with how they turned out after the washes, it just looks like there's barbs under the skin.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
    Ironclad1.jpg
    I've posted this guy before a few times but today he has natural lighting! The colours are almost the same as real life!

It was really windy though and my Tactical Marines almost blew away so they will have to wait for a nicer day.

Lubony wrote: »
    Got my first grotesque done, happy with the outcome, 9 more to go.

I have a bunch of Isle of Blood rat ogres somewhere. Did the helmet need any greenstuffing to fit?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The more I look at it and compare it to the other models the more i think my main problem is a slight miscast on the gun holding arm. I've got a few ideas to fix the issue.

Shit not fitting together properly is 50% of the reason my copy of Operation Icestorm sits on a shelf until someone takes it or I throw it out.

I mean, if you're giving it away, I'll take it off your hands ... ;D

I tried that. He's not giving it away, yet. I guess I should just keep on camping the dumpster.

It cost $100 and it's basically new. All but 4 of the models have never even left their little baggies. I want something for it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.