As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8: New Engine Class...WAY TOO FAST

• Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    I've never played online with this many people before. Quite the experience.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    And another disconnect. And I'm back in, but that disconnect counts as one of my races Lovely. Is it usually this terrible?

Thanks to Physi_Marc for letting me hop in through the friends system though.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    No worries. I haven't had connection problems since the launch of the game, but other people are plagued by it.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think I was hit by 3 bullet bills in that DK Jungle race.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    And another disconnect. Think I'll have to race against everyone another time. The internet gods are not on my side today.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    A 2nd place in a race feels like a million bucks after such crappy luck in the past couple tournaments.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    No worries. I haven't had connection problems since the launch of the game, but other people are plagued by it.

It's weird, I've had the odd disconnect but over the past 40+ weeks of karting with yall my connection has been very solid. Others seem cursed with connection errors at every turn.

I'm hoping the new patch next week improves the netcode or whatevs.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    And of course I get hit by a shell in the final turn of the tournament, causing me to drop 2 places in the rankings.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Connection errors can be a pain, but generally they're pretty transient, I've had some weeks where I've had to bow out due to an unplayable connection, but most of the time it's fine.

Tough competition tonight; limiting the chassis choice really seems to bunch everyone up! Fun though, I'm glad I went with the middle-weight, the lack of acceleration on someone heavier would've sunk me I think.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Despite the fact that I kept having my item boxes sniped and I kept making tactical errors (I ran into so many held shells and banana peels this week) I somehow managed a reasonable overall ranking this week. And that's despite not winning any races at all - I suppose I've found some kind of consistency. I'll upload highlight videos tonight.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I have another internet connection I can use (slower, but tends to be a bit more stable when the first acts up), so I'll have to try that next time around.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Quick run-down of the night from Kupi's end:

> Cursing
    > Unforced errors
    > Swearing
    > Item starvation
    > Pottymouth
    > Fucking twelfth, are you serious
    > Literally everything is going wrong
    > Third place overall

This game, I swear (a lot)...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    CGHCGH Registered User regular
    Echoing what many have said about today's tournament, one mistake would almost always take me from the front of the pack to the bottom. Too many self-inflicted gaffes made it so I couldn't seriously contend for the top spot. I also could have done without all the blue shells, even if one was responsible for a victory of mine.

I'd post the standings, but I don't know how to take screenshots off the Wii U to put them here. I did upload a few replays of races I thought had a lot of action, though I couldn't get the replays themselves to show everything I wanted.

Nick outraces a green shell to the finish in Mute City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcV5bqAIAjI

I (Corey) survive a bloodbath on the farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCENPlfvpS0

Catrine separates from everyone on Bone-Dry Dunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FJ3RCF0QE

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    All the classic karts & characters... mine eyes can but weep! So beautiful!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I really like this little themed tourneys, and remain bummed that I had to miss princesses only last week. Although for me I guess every week is princesses only.
    Pleased to steal a win this week though, wasn't sure if my rustiness was going to leave me in a state of embarrassment.

• Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    I meant to take a quick power nap but slept right past this, lol. Did you guys ever race on Donut Plains 3? That would have been fun to watch.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I meant to take a quick power nap but slept right past this, lol. Did you guys ever race on Donut Plains 3? That would have been fun to watch.

It was the final race for the last three of us. At least everyone got to do SNES Rainbow Road.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Someone was/is probably going to do this the more visually pleasing way later, but:

PA G&T SundayDrivers Week 46 Standings... in classic text format!
    Catrine       167
    Corey         155
    William       139
    MrBlarney     132
    Nick          128
    Maz           126
    Timbit        119
    PhysiMarc      98
    skeldare       75
    Fred           48
    Steve          30
    Rehab          19

• Options
    SundayDrivers Week 46 Stats Update

hugbmxbjefdc.png

Catrine has dethroned Conn as our all time points leader, in part thanks to Conn's "kinda-sorta" retirement. Who will catch Catrine? Maz and myself are certainly within striking distance! William is not far behind, either.

qa33xjlmrqka.png

Speak of the devil-- William holds the top spot on the 4 week ranking, followed closely by Maz, MrBlarney, and Courtney. From there the points take a steep drop. On the 4 week ranking, a missed week will quickly leave you in the dust!

fu8yuh1h0l7a.png

Conn remains the only racer to have achieved a perfect score of 240 points. Catrine, however, has come painfully close!

You can find some more granular information at this link.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    The mid week tournament is approaching. I wanted to get this up there since we're going character specific this week.

C56az5N.jpg

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    Cat Peach only?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I need to join you guys one of these days. I get kinda jealous seeing everyone have so much fun. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    You've got to be kitten me.

• Options

It'll be a catastrophe.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Cat Peach only?

In the Cat Cruiser! Actually I can't tell if this question is asking if only Cat Peach is allowed or why only Cat Peach. Yes, we're trying a single character challenge with only Cat Peach allowed. Why? Blame @CGH. He requested it when we did the first character challenge. It should make things interesting with the minimal customization but what do I know. I thought we'd have fun with battle mode.

It'll be a catastrophe.

We'll be purfectly fine.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I apparently drunk purchased a Mega Man Amiibo a couple nights ago. I'm pretty stoked about what that will do for me.

• Options
    Any chance the DLC hits at midnight tonight or something?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Any chance the DLC hits at midnight tonight or something?

I don't even remember at what time the first pack was released. Was it midnight?

• Options
    I think the first pack went up sometime on Thursday morning, or at least before the regular eShop update.

Or maybe that was just the patch that was released alongside the DLC? I dunno.

• Options
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

That says maintenance will take place from 12:50-2:00 AM pacific. Presumably it should be available after that.

• Options
    Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    It's a real shame that they don't have midnight release for their DLC. As an Aussie I had to wait till 8pm for the last dlc. Going to assume it's the same deal this time around.

• Options
    Well, I just checked, the new DLC pack definitely didn't get a midnight release in Europe :P

• Options
    CGH wrote: »
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

That says maintenance will take place from 12:50-2:00 AM pacific. Presumably it should be available after that.

Ugh. Why so laaaaaaaaaaaate?

I hope part of the "maintenance" is making the online play more reliable.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    Has anyone else not yet watched all the videos out there of the new tracks? I'm trying to go in as blind as possible to get maximum enjoyment out of this.

I'm also already really hoping that they put a bit more effort into the trophy's this time round! Although I realise they probably won't have.

• Options
    The cat craziness starts soon. I'll probably jump on early if anyone is around to do some pre-races.

C56az5N.jpg

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I actually have a free day. I might get in on this. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Feeeeeeels sooooooooo sloooooooow.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    ...I kinda don't wanna play anymore. :(

I fucking suck.

Oh well, still fun. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I laughed pretty hard on the first set of ramps in Excite Bike because of all the cat meows.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Mario Kart 8! You have to stop blue shelling me when Courtney/Mirth is playing! He's too good. I know you got him plenty too, but really I feel that an appropriate blue shell ratio is 6:1 in my benefit instead of the 4:3 or so that happened. Giving him triple red shells in second place didn't thrill me a whole lot either. That time you gave me triple mushrooms at the end was okay.

AI Bowser! Did you read the fucking rules? Cat Peach in Cat Cruiser! You didn't even wear any fake ears or put a tail on your kart to try to fool us. You cost me more points than anything else that happened combined. I'm killing you in every Mario game I own in the next week.

CGH! Stop complaining! It's your own fault for making mistakes when trying to be too perfect in some of the races. And stop missing item boxes for no damn reason or trailing directly behind others who are holding shells. Bowser still needs to burn though.

To be a little more serious now, playing in Sunday's pipe kart only tourney definitely helped me a lot today. Being a little more used to karts makes me think I have to experiment to see if I actually like using them more than sport bikes.

CGH on
This discussion has been closed.