As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old [STEAM] thread. Please buy the new thread mod for $4.99.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I doubt it'll affect things too much. A great part of a mod becoming popular is being able to try it and having hundreds of people spread the word. Without that word of mouth your quest mod might be shrugged off as some fan fiction quality entry.

Like if you look now the only notable charged for one is the Midas spell mod, which is a well established mod author. That's the type of person I think will succeed with it, as he's proven himself over multiple games, and probably deserves a bit of money if you like his stuff.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    New Overlord announced.

Wow...I don't think I've been this disappointed with a sequel announcement since the MOBA bastardization of Orcs Must Die. I would say Dungeon Defenders 2, but they got their shit together.

Bleh.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    56nkma7mlgef.jpg

My goodness. I just wishlisted that this morning in my 10-minute before-work browse-the-upcoming-titles-while-having-coffee time...

It wasn't even available for purchase then! What did it survive, like 15 minutes after release before it got shot off the shelf? :lol:

Thanks @Halfazedninja - I was loving the art style and concept for this. Should be fun to check out!

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    New Overlord announced.

Wow...I don't think I've been this disappointed with a sequel announcement since the MOBA bastardization of Orcs Must Die. I would say Dungeon Defenders 2, but they got their shit together.

Bleh.
    Wait. really? Link?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    New Overlord announced.

Bleh.

Why are you disappointed, does it not sound good?
    I should go back and beat Overlord 1 and 2. I didn't get far in 1 but I greatly enjoyed the little I played.

vamen on
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    New Overlord announced.

Bleh.
    Wait. really? Link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheVXS6rkRQ
    vamen wrote: »

It looks simultaneously boring as hell and not at all related to the previous games.

At least from this teaser, I don't see anything that would indicate any reason to even use the Overlord IP.

• Options
    Oh, I see why now. I'd heard the news but not seen the trailer. As I watched the trailer I thought, "seems like Overlord but you can pick 1 of 4 Overlords, sign me up"...
    then I saw the gameplay.
    And it might turn out fun! But...yeah...it's not Overlord.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    2015-04-22-Bargain-Bane.jpg

We're fast coming up on a new OP, and this needs to go in it.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Minions in search of a new evil overlord? Sounds familiar...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Oh, I see why now. I'd heard the news but not seen the trailer. As I watched the trailer I thought, "seems like Overlord but you can pick 1 of 4 Overlords, sign me up"...
    then I saw the gameplay.

If anything it looks like a simplistic Magicka; which was a fun game in its own right...but not at all like Overlord.

I just don't know why they even bothered using the IP. It's been dead for ages, isn't going to be useful to attract new players, and is only going to turn off people who were fans.

doesnotcompute

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Business-wise it is probably "safer" to revive an old IP than to make a whole new thing. And I'll be the lone man out and think it looks like a thing I'd like to play. Though I'm an edge case in that I want and need more couch coop games for my PS4.

I mean, they kinda did the same thing with Gauntlet, right?

And Helldivers feels like sci-fi Magicka, and as much as I love it I kinda doubt that it sold a ton of copies.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Technical question: I want to copy my install of GTA V from the regular drive it's on to my new SSD, is there a way to do it that doesn't involve re-downloading 60+gigs?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I agree it could be fun coop, just not exactly what I wanted from a new Overlord.
    Granted if I want some Overlord gameplay, I have 2 games in the series I barely played so there's that.

• Options
    Oh I agree that it's an odd fit for the franchise. I need to play those. I know I like 1 (played a bit on 360) and have them all on Steam but think I've never fired them up.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    We don't own our games on Steam full stop.

I'm not sure if this idea has ever gone to court, but it will be annihilated if it does. Publishers try to tell you that you don't own a game, you just license a game, but there are so many legal hurdles facing that proposal (Steam clearly tells you you are purchasing a game, not licensing it, the games badge on your profile says games owned, not licensed, not to mention minors aren't legally capable of entering contractual agreements [which is what a license is] and Steam's EULA has no language regarding a minimum age), not to mention the various EU laws that override EULAs.

The whole "You don't own your games, you just license them" thing is a charade we all sorta dance around because so far there hasn't really been a reason to smack game developers and publishers with a rolled up newspaper and sternly tell them no.

Like I said before, threatening to "tell your mom!" in an EULA is kinda shooting yourself in the foot if you are honestly trying to push it as a legal agreement between licenser and licensee. The concept of the EULA is a joke, but it's still around because it takes more effort to have it all shut down than it does to click "agree" while rolling our eyes or making the jerk off motion in the air with our hand.

I wouldn't be willing to put money on it 'Stacks. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has already held that a "license" (e.g., a EULA) is not the same as a "sale." Stare decisis and all that, unless copyright law changes to give consumers more rights (HA HA HA HA HA) or a case gets to the Supreme Court it's not going to change.

I would not be worried about the 9th Circuit. They're called the 9th Circus because they get overturned many times since their reasonings for rulings tend to be incredibly stupid.

Bit of column A and column B here. Yes, they do get overturned a lot, but this decision is "business friendly," and my gut tells me that's going to be less likely overturned than one that isn't. Plus, the Supreme Court probably has no interest in addressing the issue unless someone wants to take it all the way through the 9th circuit or tries to have the case in another circuit in the hopes they can create a circuit split (where two federal appellate circuits have ruled differently on the same law, requiring the Supreme Court to resolve the issue).

But at the same time, even without SCOTUS hearing it other circuits aren't bound and lower courts can rule differently.

I believe there was an EU ruling that was more in line with first sale, and that can also impact things due to Steam being international (and relatively transparent about region)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Technical question: I want to copy my install of GTA V from the regular drive it's on to my new SSD, is there a way to do it that doesn't involve re-downloading 60+gigs?

Use SteamMover

Or Cut the folder from current drive and paste it into the Steamapps Common folder of the SSD (presuming one is already set up) and then "download" it to the SSD in Steam. It'll see that the folder and files already exist and won't redownload it.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    New weekly humble bundle Multiplayer Mayhem is up!

$1 tier:
    Primal Carnage
    God Mode
    Boid

BTA Tier:
    Chariot
    Blade Symphony
    God Factory: Wingmen

$10 tier:
    Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox

Seems like a good bundle, especially for FNG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I want to think that's a good idea, but I've yet to snake an HDMI from my laptop to the TV for local multiplayer.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    At least they still got Gnarl's voice actor. I mean, as long as the writing is good, I'm okay with it. It wasn't REALLY the gameplay in overlord that I liked. I mean, it was fine, but it was more the dark humor.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    New Overlord announced.

Bleh.
    Wait. really? Link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheVXS6rkRQ

It looks simultaneously boring as hell and not at all related to the previous games.

At least from this teaser, I don't see anything that would indicate any reason to even use the Overlord IP.

I think it looks like a fun Gauntlet clone.

Admittedly, that's not really a good sell even if you like Gauntlet clones.

• Options
    What does it say that I enjoyed the new Gauntlet?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

That we should get together and play sometime. Valkyrie for life, yo.

• Options

That we should get together and play sometime. Valkyrie for life, yo.

I have been wanting to try out the Warlock. Or was it Necromancer? Whatever that extra class that they released was.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Nah, it was a fun game. Gauntlet is fun. It's just not, ya know, all that great; the clones even less so.

But yeah, I'm a huge Gauntlet clone aficionado /haughty sniff

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    THEY MADE A DRAG QUEEN DATING SIM?!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/285740/

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    anyone have experience with G2A?

It recently came to my attention and the prices on it are far to cheap to be true.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Last time Risk of Rain was on sale nobody went in on a 4-pack with me. Then I forgot to buy it for myself. This time I am going to try not to let the opportunity slip through my fingers. So, once again, anyone want to go in on a 4 pack? @ or PM me!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It recently came to my attention and the prices on it are far to cheap to be true.

Serial key reseller. Has a history of having their keys blacklisted, putting you SOL, so super buyer beware.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Paying for mods is gross, I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of tip jar that I could throw cash into if I liked it but putting a price tag on mods is fucking unacceptable.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I doubt it'll affect things too much. A great part of a mod becoming popular is being able to try it and having hundreds of people spread the word. Without that word of mouth your quest mod might be shrugged off as some fan fiction quality entry.

Like if you look now the only notable charged for one is the Midas spell mod, which is a well established mod author. That's the type of person I think will succeed with it, as he's proven himself over multiple games, and probably deserves a bit of money if you like his stuff.

Midas is one of the paid mods? Really feeling uneasy now. Going to have to watch how this develops.

I had thought that there'd be restrictions on the mods, like the ones that create new questlines or areas. The difference between skins and items is that those are selected by Valve based upon the best. Whereas if all mods can be made paid ones then who's going to put theirs up without some kind of price tag attached?

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Serial key reseller. Has a history of having their keys blacklisted, putting you SOL, so super buyer beware.

Figured as much given the utterly insane prices. Thanks for confirming the hardcore avoid.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    then I saw the gameplay.

If anything it looks like a simplistic Magicka; which was a fun game in its own right...but not at all like Overlord.

I just don't know why they even bothered using the IP. It's been dead for ages, isn't going to be useful to attract new players, and is only going to turn off people who were fans.

doesnotcompute

I suspect there's a reason they're not calling it Overlord 3.

Using the IP can make sense if they want to use the same brand of humor. Having two franchises using a parody of high fantasy settings would lead to people wondering why they didn't just make it an Overlord game instead.

The big question is how they plan to make themselves distinct from Magicka.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Hmmmmm...paid mods on the Steam Workshop, first ones are for Skyrim.

Don't quite know how I feel about that.

As a modder (and one with a number of relatively popular/well-known mods out there) I can tell you how I feel about it:

No wait. I can't. I don't know. On the one hand, I mod because I want to and I share because sometimes I make something I think other people might like. Charging money for it seems icky. And I am afraid it will become standard practice and the days of thriving rich mod communities will be past us. Also, I suspect it will lead to rights issues even more tangled than they are: "No you can't borrow that armor model I made and use it in your quest mod unless you pay me X% for each sale..." and then what happens when someone "steals" someone else's models/textures/whatever and re-uses them without permission? Ugh, this rabbit hole is deep.

On the other hand... that sweet, sweet sound of incoming disposable income in return for doing something I like... :lol:

(full disclosure: I have made money off mods when one generous soul or another chooses to paypal me a couple bucks because s/he liked XYZ mod just that much. I have never required, or even asked, for money for them, however.)
    What mods did you make? Consider me intrigued.

Also, I feel like I learned a lot from the previous discussion about whether or not we own our games, or are just licensing them.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »

Midas is one of the paid mods? Really feeling uneasy now. Going to have to watch how this develops.

I had thought that there'd be restrictions on the mods, like the ones that create new questlines or areas. The difference between skins and items is that those are selected by Valve based upon the best. Whereas if all mods can be made paid ones then who's going to put theirs up without some kind of price tag attached?

Well... I mean... I would? That was sort of the point of my earlier post. Some of us mod (and share those mods) for the fun of it.

Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Paying for mods is gross, I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of tip jar that I could throw cash into if I liked it but putting a price tag on mods is fucking unacceptable.

That's basically how Nexus works. Everything is free, always, but if you want to, you can hit the 100% optional "donate to this modder" button on any mod and paypal a bit of change to the guy/gal who mad the mod you like. I've gotten a buck here, buck there... $20 once (woo!). That seems fair to me. I never expect anything but when I get that surprise "you got money" email from Paypal, I always get all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Figured as much given the utterly insane prices. Thanks for confirming the hardcore avoid.

To give you an idea: they straight up sell a protection program in case your key doesn't work. If doesn't set off all the alarms, nothing will.

• Options
    then I saw the gameplay.

doesnotcompute

I suspect there's a reason they're not calling it Overlord 3.

Using the IP can make sense if they want to use the same brand of humor. Having two franchises using a parody of high fantasy settings would lead to people wondering why they didn't just make it an Overlord game instead.

The big question is how they plan to make themselves distinct from Magicka.

Well, at no point did they hurt each other in those videos that I could tell so I don't think it's like Magika at all.

• Options
    I've downloaded a few (mostly for Torchlight), but @Pixelated Pixie how do you mod? Like, I should understand this. I write software for a living. Are our games not 100% compiled code? I get creating new skins because those are external files referenced by the executable. But other stuff? What are you guys doing?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    I've downloaded a few (mostly for Torchlight), but @Pixelated Pixie how do you mod? Like, I should understand this. I write software for a living. Are our games not 100% compiled code? I get creating new skins because those are external files referenced by the executable. But other stuff? What are you guys doing?

I understand it involves crawling into the computer, naked, laughing crazy while throwing booze around inside the case

• Options
    Then I wrote many mods during my undergraduate study! Of course they were all for my artifical intelligence class and can only be run on on UNIX workstations...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    edit: wow I was pages behind, nevermind!

I loved overlord, but yeah that is not an overlord game.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.