As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] More like the Punic Wars than you might think.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    I'll get RIGHT on that.
    ...to be fair I don't have nor have any idea what Wet and Cold is. The name makes me assume it's one of the Skyrim nudie mods= p
    Nah, you're thinking of "Immersive nordic nips".

Wet and Cold just enhances how NPCs react to the cold weather.

I'm crossing my fingers that's the real name of the nude one.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Krummith wrote: »
    Like I said I'm being paranoid. However the option to turn off auto updates has been removed. You can set it so it only updates when you open it, but not turn them off completely.

Is this correct? That used to be the old behavior; I thought that they changed it to optional specifically because of the dragons-flying-backwards Skyrim patch. But my impression is that it was always on a case-by-case basis, presumably decided by the developers.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the ability to turn off auto-updates was a Steam feature from the very beginning. I know that people highly suggested keeping the option to not update Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines if using the fan patch.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Like I said I'm being paranoid. However the option to turn off auto updates has been removed. You can set it so it only updates when you open it, but not turn them off completely.

Is this correct? That used to be the old behavior; I thought that they changed it to optional specifically because of the dragons-flying-backwards Skyrim patch. But my impression is that it was always on a case-by-case basis, presumably decided by the developers.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the ability to turn off auto-updates was a Steam feature from the very beginning. I know that people highly suggested keeping the option to not update Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines if using the fan patch.

The problem was when you turned off auto-update and Steam decides, no fuck you, I'm going to update anyway.

Since I was beaten on giving away a copy of Risk of Rain, I'll just toss it out to the general PA forum public:

Loading...?

Otherwise I'll forget that I have it.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    If the powers that be condone it, it seems entirely fair for people who spend a lot of time and effort working on mods to be compensated. On the other hand, seeing $0.99 price tags on things like "here's a sword from DOTA" and presumably nearly everything else eventually feels pretty gross and more like browsing ridiculous DLC or mobile markets.

Think I'd prefer just having an option to tip from the Steam Wallet.

s7Imn5J.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    New Call of Duty teaser makes me think someone at Activision really liked Deus Ex Human Revolution.

• KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular

I was going through my library and randomly selected a dozen or so games to test. Under Properties, there's a tab for Updates. All the ones I looked at only had 3 options 1) Always keep this game up to date 2) Only update this game when I launch it or 3) High Priority - Always update this game before others. If there's a turn off updates switch somewhere else please let me know. I'd rather update on my own schedule.

• Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I thought about it some, read more posts, and think I hit upon a reason, a big one, why I don't like the idea of paid mods. A mod changes the game in some way, making it different from what the developer coded in. Some mods are less egregious in their changes, like a quest mod will use available resources whereas something like SkyUI overhauls a fundamental element. Because these mods change critical things, they sometimes cause errors or even complete save file corruption in the game. And, y'know, we kind of accepted that and learned to save backups before putting a whole mess of mods on.

When I pay for something, anything, I'm paying for QA as part of the cost. I expect what I buy to not screw me over and to function in a way that is convenient for me. For me to buy a mod I'd need a complete guarantee that it will work with every other paid mod and is properly installed with no messing around with load orders on my part. I don't think these paid mods can offer that. I've looked around Nexus often enough to find mods with "dirty" files, even in the big ones, which all but guarantee conflict at some point and some even say that you can't run two particular mods at the same time.

When you're paying 99 cents for a mod, you're probably getting a nickel's worth of Q&A in that someone loaded it up and made sure that it didn't cause their box to explode.

You've got a 24 hour window return on mods purchased through Steamworks. Does it make your game blow up? Well, get your money back. Does it not blow it up within 24 hours? Then it's at or better than most professional releases.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm making a mod called the "Super Awesome Hat that Only One Person Can Have" mod. It's going to be approximately the cost of a PS4 with MKX and I will only sell one.

Oh, and it's a mod for Bad Rats.

Also, I'm making a mod for Bientôt L'été that scatters tiny phallic tater tots on the beach. It will cost the same as a nice take out burrito.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'll get RIGHT on that.
    ...to be fair I don't have nor have any idea what Wet and Cold is. The name makes me assume it's one of the Skyrim nudie mods= p
    Nah, you're thinking of "Immersive nordic nips".

Wet and Cold just enhances how NPCs react to the cold weather.

I'm crossing my fingers that's the real name of the nude one.

Nah, if it was real it would be named "Lore friendly immersive Nordic nipples."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    New Call of Duty teaser makes me think someone at Activision really liked Deus Ex Human Revolution.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I don't even own Bonertoots, but I would totally put down $1 for a wiener tots mod.

camo_sig2.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I was going through my library and randomly selected a dozen or so games to test. Under Properties, there's a tab for Updates. All the ones I looked at only had 3 options 1) Always keep this game up to date 2) Only update this game when I launch it or 3) High Priority - Always update this game before others. If there's a turn off updates switch somewhere else please let me know. I'd rather update on my own schedule.

Nope, that's where they are as far as I'm aware. The thing is they just rarely actually work.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Wow, the one thing I hadn't seen about this whole sell mods thing: creators only get 25% of revenue.

That's, uh, a bit lame there IMO.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Wow, the one thing I hadn't seen about this whole sell mods thing: creators only get 25% of revenue.

The fuck?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Shimshai wrote: »
    So, crosspost from the Skyrim thread:
    gtrmp wrote: »
    if you were wondering "what happens when a free mod starts charging money":

11C18A138514FF629B5C2C4C3AAC816BB4E2D1A4
    $4.99 for Wet and Cold now.

Yikes.

They jumped on this fast.

Man, this is just wild.

I don't know why companies would allow this when they have been so anal about people monetizing Youtube footage of gameplay. The whole "You shouldn't be allowed to make money off of something we made" argument for LPs or whatever fits significantly better for game mods that use that company's assets. Unless your mod is a TC with 100% completely original textures/sounds/models/etc, but in that case the argument could be made that you effectively made a completely new game without licensing the engine.

If I have ModX installed for GameX and my friend comes over and I throw the relevant files onto a USB stick for him because it's faster than downloading it did we just pirate a mod?

A mod is a thing that can be pirated now? Are mods going to have DRM similar to the games they are used in?

Stop the bus, I want to get off.

SmokeStacks on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

That's the worst thing I've heard today. But pretty impressive they managed to create a whole new giant money making venture out of something that previously had no money flowing through it.

I want to continue to love Valve, I don't want them to turn into another EA. Such sadness.

vamen on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I can sort of understand that, but the problem is well...

They haven't made the game, they haven't made the engine, they haven't made the mod tools, they're probably making use of a tonne of existing assets (and features) from that game, they haven't made the community that now exists to buy the mod... I mean that's all the original devs. Then of course, they haven't made the marketplace, they haven't made the infrastructure to seamlessly and transparently integrate their work with the title, they haven't put up their own hosting or bandwidth...

But then I think that becomes a bit more problematic as the mod becomes more and more ambitious. I mean DOTA for example was responsible for keeping sales of Warcraft 3 going and effectively spawned an entire genre.

But then I get even more confused because that was technically all done for free regardless and those guys either started their own companies or went on to work for some serious big hitters,

The whole issue of how much value someone is adding VS. how much of the original base product needed to be present for their mod to even be a thing is something way beyond nebulous for me to get my head around.

subedii on
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    creators only get 25% of revenue[/url].
    The fuck?
    Also, you must make $100 of sales before receiving a payment.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

That's the worst thing I've heard today. But pretty impressive they managed to create a whole new giant money making venture out of something that previously had no money flowing through it.

I want to continue to love Valve, I don't want them to turn into another EA. Such sadness.
    And essentially kill their only real competition (the Nexus) in one swift blow.

I mean, its vicious as hell but I can't help but admire how effective from a business standpoint its going to be at converting people to the workshop even if they don't want to.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    monetizing free user generated mod content which has the potential to ruin/break a game because the original developers had no hand in its production...

Wow. That's in remarkably poor taste on the part of the people behind Valve and Steam's marketing practices.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Article suffers a fail for not digging any deeper than the first page. The revenue sharing agreement (Link)

Paragraph 1:
    Revenue Share for Paid Distribution of Contributions. If your Contribution is distributed for a fee (whether in-Application or via the Steam Workshop), you may be entitled to receive a portion of the Adjusted Gross Revenue (as defined below) that is collected for the Contribution. The percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that you are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application associated with the Workshop to which you have submitted your Contribution (“Publisher”), and will be described on the applicable Workshop page. Valve will remit payment of any revenue share to which you are entitled in accordance with directions from the applicable Publisher, and in accordance with Valve’s payment procedures. Generally, payment is made thirty (30) days from the end of the calendar month in which the Adjusted Gross Revenue was received. For reasons of fraud protection, no payment is made earlier than ninety (90) days after the initial copy of a Contribution is distributed. For available payment methods and associated minimum transfer amounts, please see the FAQ page.

So it looks like Bethesda set the pay rate.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »

I can sort of understand that, but the problem is well...

They haven't made the game, they haven't made the engine, they haven't made the mod tools, they're probably making use of a tonne of existing assets (and features) from that game, they haven't made the community that now exists to buy the mod... I mean that's all the original devs. Then of course, they haven't made the marketplace, they haven't made the infrastructure to seamlessly and transparently integrate their work with the title, they haven't put up their own hosting or bandwidth...

But then I think that becomes a bit more problematic as the mod becomes more and more ambitious. I mean DOTA for example was responsible for keeping sales of Warcraft 3 going and effectively spawned an entire genre.

But then I get even more confused because that was technically all done for free regardless and those guys either started their own companies or went on to work for some serious big hitters,

The whole issue of how much value someone is adding VS. how much of the original base product needed to be present for their mod to even be a thing is something way beyond nebulous for me to get my head around.

That's basically my main issue here, and the problem is that you can't do that on a case-by-case basis because then it becomes about judgements of merit, and it all starts sucking there.

Still, I believe that 25% for something you created is not at all fair. Just on principle I would stick with a Paypal donation button, but then again I'm no modder. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    So, crosspost from the Skyrim thread:
    gtrmp wrote: »
    if you were wondering "what happens when a free mod starts charging money":

11C18A138514FF629B5C2C4C3AAC816BB4E2D1A4
    $4.99 for Wet and Cold now.

Yikes.

They jumped on this fast.

Man, this is just wild.

I don't know why companies would allow this when they have been so anal about people monetizing Youtube footage of gameplay. The whole "You shouldn't be allowed to make money off of something we made" argument for LPs or whatever fits significantly better for game mods that use that companies assets. Unless your mod is a TC with 100% completely original textures/sounds/models/etc, but in that case the argument could be made that you effectively made a completely new game without licensing the engine.

If I have ModX installed for GameX and my friend comes over and I throw the relevant files onto a USB stick for him because it's faster than downloading it did we just pirate a mod?

A mod is a thing that can be pirated now? Are mods going to have DRM similar to the games they are used in?

Stop the bus, I want to get off.

Valve is going in the complete opposite direction as youtube

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Oddfish wrote: »
    monetizing free user generated mod content which has the potential to ruin/break a game because the original developers had no hand in its production...

Wow. That's in remarkably poor taste on the part of the people behind Valve and Steam's marketing practices.

I don't think you quite understand what's going on here.

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Oh thank god a new steam thread, i don't have loads to catch up on.

*catches up*

PAID MODS? Oh What the FUCK?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I very rarely mod but this certainly doesn't make me want to start.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Stolen from last thread:
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Hmmmmm...paid mods on the Steam Workshop, first ones are for Skyrim.

Don't quite know how I feel about that.

As a modder (and one with a number of relatively popular/well-known mods out there) I can tell you how I feel about it:

No wait. I can't. I don't know. On the one hand, I mod because I want to and I share because sometimes I make something I think other people might like. Charging money for it seems icky. And I am afraid it will become standard practice and the days of thriving rich mod communities will be past us. Also, I suspect it will lead to rights issues even more tangled than they are: "No you can't borrow that armor model I made and use it in your quest mod unless you pay me X% for each sale..." and then what happens when someone "steals" someone else's models/textures/whatever and re-uses them without permission? Ugh, this rabbit hole is deep.

On the other hand... that sweet, sweet sound of incoming disposable income in return for doing something I like... :lol:

(full disclosure: I have made money off mods when one generous soul or another chooses to paypal me a couple bucks because s/he liked XYZ mod just that much. I have never required, or even asked, for money for them, however.)
    What mods did you make? Consider me intrigued.

Also, I feel like I learned a lot from the previous discussion about whether or not we own our games, or are just licensing them.

I can't get any links or anything from work, but if someone were to go to the Nexus sites for Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Dragon Age and look for user "Luchaire" one would find all my mods. Warning: some are NSFW, one in particular very NSFW (for Dragon Age).

I looked it up. I was so curious.

EM1m6UG.gif

I made an account, verfied my email, and edited the account's content settings to find out what it was. Am I ashamed of that? A little. But I'm still not going to tell anyone what it was. :twisted:

Still mulling, but a problem I see with bringing an already existing modding community into this paid system is that modding tends to be a collaborative affair. Someone builds X mod, it's great and everybody loves it. People love it so much they build Y mod using functionality and code from X mod. Sometimes they get permission, sometimes they don't, it doesn't seem as people really care because X mod and Y mod are free, and yay collaboration on a game everybody loves.

But then the makers of Y mod want to put it on the paid workshop. But their mod is dependent on X mod, which chooses to keep it free. Even better, the makers of X mod want paid for Y mod (which uses X mod) or want Y mod to pull X mod functionality out of Y mod.

There are way to many cooks for this not to be a headache.

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

So did the art director of Deus Ex

2015-04-2322_13_17-dehvume.png

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    But can mods be wishlisted and gifted...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    creators only get 25% of revenue[/url].
    The fuck?
    Also, you must make $100 of sales before receiving a payment.

It's worse than that. You need $100 of payout before you get it - so with a 25% payout rate, your mod needs to make $400 before you see anything.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    There are way to many cooks for this not to be a headache.

First of all, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head again.

Secondly, yeah, half the Skyrim mods worth their salt use SKSE. Is there revenue sharing? Can they be pulled if SKSE changes their license or disagrees and mods continue to use the updated SKSE?

s7Imn5J.png
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Zxerol wrote: »

It's obvious you're biased.

Also, I recognize that it's the modders intent to make some money but it's Valve establishing the marketplace and they're doing it in kind of a sleazy way. Modders are usually a single person with the time and skills to create a mod along with any assistance they can get from their modding community. They don't have marketing reps or lawyers helping them protect their creations. There's no way to regulate this and legally this seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. I don't care how they're dividing up that majority percentage but if you're going to put creators in the position to make money and then only give them a quarter of the revenue their creation garnered then you're not helping the community or the modders you're helping yourself to the fruits of their labor.

Also, CS isn't a good example. Stop using it as an example. CS mod was purchased by Valve and the developers were hired before it was ever sold. Before that it was free content. This is an entirely different scenario.

Oddfish on

Yeah, the option to completely turn off the updates isn't there anymore. It was recently removed, unfortunately. It was called "Do not keep this game up to date."

I don't actually have a problem with the small cut modders are getting, especially when before today there was no expectation of getting paid at all other than in "tips."

Modding is essentially a form of fan fiction. Modders are taking other people's/company's creations and creating derivative works using materials from the original creation. Historically no one really cared because modders never charged and why the hell would you ever snap at a community that keeps your creation fresh? But now the original creators have decided to let modders charge, and if they want to, they have to agree to lopsided terms. I'm okay with that, because if modders want a greater cut then they can always choose to stop writing fan fiction and make their own creation.

I'm "biased." ahahaha okay.

Despite appearing to defend this, I'm actually more or less indifferent to it. I don't hate it, nor do I think it's the greatest thing ever for mod makers.

But challenging the utter rage people have for this makes me biased. Sure, if you want to believe that. I won't stop you.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

It's obvious you're biased.

Yeah because opening with something like that makes you look REAL objective.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Do we know if there's a split on the remaining 75%? Given Steam trading cards, I wouldn't be surprised if the dev/publisher of the game being modded got a cut.

EDIT: Aaaand we do know! Sorry for not reading gooder, @DoctorArch.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    Do we know if there's a split on the remaining 75%? Given Steam trading cards, I wouldn't be surprised if the dev/publisher of the game being modded got a cut.

In this instance, the 75% is split between Valve & Bethesda, but in what ratio no one knows.

This discussion has been closed.