As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Umihara Kawase DS: Now with a 3rd dimension!

13»

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Well, on 17 I can get to where I can see the door...but I can't jump high enough to grab onto the ledge to get to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6T3pRg-Kc

I guess I'm supposed to fly far enough off the swing over that gap that I can retract the hook and throw it before I land, but higher than I could just from there...sure.

I have no idea how to do anything but lazily swoop over that gap, I definitely can't fly over it.

On 7 I can now get up to the top, but I can't seem to reach the block to swing from at the end. I guess I need to try running and throwing up-left instead of just left, before I jump.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    I managed hooking onto the center block on 7 with a left swing jumping off the higher block on the right. I don't think up-left will give you enough reach.
    I can't seem to consistently climb up the ledge to the alternative exit of 5. I can scale up a vertical wall by reeling in as the line is fully extended, but once swinging left and right is thrown into the mix, I can't figure out how to control the line as to not lose my momentum

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Started playing the Vita version of Sayanora Umihara Kawase, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The aesthetic is weird-yet-charming (and occasionally horrifying since the walking fish remind me of Gyo) and the momentum/physics-based gameplay is fun and challenging. It feels like a retro SNES game, and the retro SNES game is also included as a bonus!

Also, you can't mention Umihara without also mentioning Game Center CX. I'm sure a lot of people in the West first learned about the series through that episode, and if you haven't checked it out yet it's one of the best GCX episodes out there.
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm glad I haven't seen any of those pictures. She's a very odd character though, because in the game she looks like an elementary school kid. The bright pink backpack is traditionally for kids. Yet she's supposed to be 19. Japan is very odd indeed.

My understanding is that in the original game she's an elementary school kid, but with each sequel they would age her up a bit canonically. Since they did little to update the in-game character sprite/model, people are constantly taken aback over how busty she actually is in official artwork (including Arino from GCX). It's pretty funny in hindsight.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Started playing the Vita version of Sayanora Umihara Kawase, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The aesthetic is weird-yet-charming (and occasionally horrifying since the walking fish remind me of Gyo) and the momentum/physics-based gameplay is fun and challenging. It feels like a retro SNES game, and the retro SNES game is also included as a bonus!
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm glad I haven't seen any of those pictures. She's a very odd character though, because in the game she looks like an elementary school kid. The bright pink backpack is traditionally for kids. Yet she's supposed to be 19. Japan is very odd indeed.

My understanding is that in the original game she's an elementary school kid, but with each sequel they would age her up a bit canonically. Since they did little to update the in-game character sprite/model, people are constantly taken aback over how busty she actually is in official artwork (including Arino from GCX). It's pretty funny in hindsight.

She's actually somewhat busty in the art for the original game (the few that aren't in the squat "super deformed" style anyway) so she was probably at least a little bit older than elementary school age.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Well there's an unlockable character that's Umihara as a child, so I dunno.

I find the whole artwork thing pretty funny, since up until this latest release, the artwork was usually separate from the game itself, which is why it tends to catch most people off-guard. Usually it's something a Japanese company would gladly market, but here it's almost kind of an obscure trivia.

Not that there's anything wrong with a busty design. It's just an amusing contrast to the otherwise wholesome all-ages nature of the game, including its SD child-looking character in-game.