As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [PHALLA] of Ice and Fire - Littlefinger is King

• QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CJ were you only given the names of 2 people and made a group out of that, or were you told that your group was only 3 people?

For some reason I can't ask this question the right way. Hopefully someone can decipher it.

Qorzm on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    housemd.jpg

Rend on
    edited October 2007
    Qorzm: You're asking if he is a 'family' special within his house, or if his house only had 3 people to begin with. Neh?

Rend on
    edited October 2007
    That sounds about right, yeah. Thanks

Qorzm on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rend wrote: »
    Qorzm: You're asking if he is a 'family' special within his house, or if his house only had 3 people to begin with. Neh?

Nah, he doesn't quite want to come out and say that he doesn't know the other people in his house and is confused as to why cj iwakura knows his house-allies. :p

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Qorzm wrote: »
    CJ were you only given the names of 2 people and made a group out of that, or were you told that your group was only 3 people?

For some reason I can't ask this question the right way. Hopefully someone can decipher it.

We were told our group was made up of us three.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I sure as crap don't know who I'M with. Our house sure is disorganized. Jeez...

Rend on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Are you affiliated with a house? Quite obviously you have no reason to say which house if you are.

I can think of at least one non-house organization that would make sense as a family like group.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Are you affiliated with a house? Quite obviously you have no reason to say which house if you are.

I can think of at least one non-house organization that would make sense as a family like group.

I can say this much: we weren't given win conditions, so I don't know how we fall in the grand scheme of things. Maybe someone familiar with the books does, so that's probably information I'll be keeping to myself for now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007

I can say this much: we weren't given win conditions, so I don't know how we fall in the grand scheme of things. Maybe someone familiar with the books does, so that's probably information I'll be keeping to myself for now.

Be the last house/group standing, in control of the throne. yes?

Rend on
    edited October 2007

Doesn't seem like it. I think our group has other interests in mind, judging from the background we were given.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007

Doesn't seem like it. I think our group has other interests in mind.

Oh...? What _KIND_ of interests, sir? :winky:

Rend on
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the info, CJ. Hopefully since you are the only one who has provided info it doesn't get you killed for some idiotic reason.

Qorzm on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, it's probably been said already, but I'm part of a House and I don't know who my housemates are.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2007
    I'm curious if there is a non-house group. I.E. the general Westeros population who were just thrown into the conflict. If so, that's probably the village.

Unknown User on
  • LucienLucien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, it's probably been said already, but I'm part of a House and I don't know who my housemates are.

Omg, me neither! Wanna be friends? We can pop popcorn, stay up late, explore the creepy garden two blocks up, and lots of other fun stuff. It's going to be awesome!

Lucien on
    "This is my Timey-Whimie detector, it goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces"
    edited October 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    I'm curious if there is a non-house group. I.E. the general Westeros population who were just thrown into the conflict. If so, that's probably the village.

I really don't see that in the setting at all. Peasants are basically scenery. Some houses think you shouldn't much up the scenery while others don't care nobody really is in the fight for the sake of the peasants.

I can think of at least one group who kinda fits that but I suspect they'd be neutrals (live to the end kind) rather than a faction unto themselves.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How many houses are people guessing there are? Wiki only lists 4 houses unless i'm missing something.

M.D. on
    edited October 2007
    Embarkation: I believe it's been speculated at up to 7 houses, with (confirmed?) non-house groups running around, thanks to CJ.

Rend on
  • NionNion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Tyrell and Greyjoy could all be candidates for a "last house standing gets to be king"-victory. Targaryen are probably in, but their situation makes them likely to have an alternate victory condition. Of the Great Houses, that leaves Tully, Arryn and Martell, but they are unlikely to compete for the throne. House Frey might be represented, though I'm unsure what their objectives would be.

The Night's Watch and the Wildlings are good candidates for neutrals and evils, respectively, with the Night's Watch having to survive, and the Wildlings having to kill the Night's Watch, or something.

Edit: The 7 Great Houses do not actually include Greyjoy or Targaryen.

Nion on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well we also need to know what the win condition for the village is

There is no village win condition. There's just your House win condition, which is to kill everyone else.

Unless you're not in a house...

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2007
    Nion if you're going to include Greyjoy I can't see any way to exclude Martell. Dorne has just as much desire for a separate throne as the Iron Islands do.

Though that is now two seperate people who seem to be including Greyjoy.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well 7 houses seems like a lot to me. I mean balancing each house so they all have a fair chance at winning and only 40 players to split up into all those groups.

The 4 houses wiki lists are:
    Houses and surnames
    Baratheon (?: [bə'rʌθɪən])
    Lannister GRRM-RH
    Stark GRRM-RH [stɑɹk], like English stark
    Targaryen GRRM-RH [tɑɹ'gɛɹiən] (?: [ta'gɛ:rɪən])

But 10 people each house may be too much to I guess.

On a side note, since DA will most likely get Reagent, who will be voted in as the hand?

M.D. on
  • OsvikOsvik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nion if you're going to include Greyjoy I can't see any way to exclude Martell. Dorne has just as much desire for a separate throne as the Iron Islands do.

Though that is now two seperate people who seem to be including Greyjoy.

I only included Greyjoy in my list because (and I am going to spoiler this for people who havent read past the first book)
    The conflict that arose from King Roberts death was called the War of the Five Kings. Those kings being :-

Joffrey Lannister
    Stannis Baratheon
    Renly Baratheon
    Robb Stark
    Balon Greyjoy

If this game is emulating that conflict, which I beleive it is with the last house standing rules, then it would make sense for Greyjoy to be one of the houses.

I would also contend that there are 2 separate Baratheon groups, one for Renly and one for Stannis.

If Plutonium has included more factions than these the logical additions would be Targaryen and the remaining great houses- Martell, Tully, Arryn and Tyrell.

We really wont know until what houses/factions there are until people are killed

Osvik on
    edited October 2007
    The other issue is at the start of the war Stark and Baratheon are pursing the same goals. I don't think they ever really opposed one another.

Edit: The war name thing is a very good point.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On a side note, since DA will most likely get Reagent, who will be voted in as the hand?

Regent = the person ruling the kingdom
    Reagent = ingredient in a chemical reaction

The next person to mess it up gets my Day 1 vote since I don't have any grudges playing.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2007
    Oh no FWD, I am extremely volatile.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited October 2007
    The other issue is at the start of the war Stark and Baratheon are pursing the same goals. I don't think they ever really opposed one another.
    Well Stannis did tell Catelyn Stark that he considered what Robb did as treason so if he had been more successful on the Blackwater I'm sure the Direwolf and the Stag would have come to blows.

Osvik on
    edited October 2007
    The 5 candidates for king in my list are indeed the 5 kings from the War of the Five Kings, with Tyrell being Renlys house, as his claim comes from their military might, not him being Roberts brother.

Nion on
    edited October 2007

I really don't see that in the setting at all. Peasants are basically scenery. Some houses think you shouldn't much up the scenery while others don't care nobody really is in the fight for the sake of the peasants.

I can think of at least one group who kinda fits that but I suspect they'd be neutrals (live to the end kind) rather than a faction unto themselves.

The only group I could think of that would fit into that would be the Brotherhood of Banners. Beric and Gendry are two of my favorite characters in the series. That whole group is basically a guerilla through-the-shadows, hiding with the commoners group; although they would most likely be aligned with Stark.

Unknown User on
    edited October 2007

Regent = the person ruling the kingdom
    Reagent = ingredient in a chemical reaction

The next person to mess it up gets my Day 1 vote since I don't have any grudges playing.

!FunkyWaltDogg for _REAL_ God-Emperor.

Rend on
    edited October 2007
    Nion wrote: »
    The 5 candidates for king in my list are indeed the 5 kings from the War of the Five Kings, with Tyrell being Renlys house, as his claim comes from their military might, not him being Roberts brother.
    Yeah thats very true, that would avoid having two separate Baratheon factions in the game.

Osvik on
    edited October 2007

The only group I could think of that would fit into that would be the Brotherhood of Banners. Beric and Gendry are two of my favorite characters in the series. That whole group is basically a guerilla through-the-shadows, hiding with the commoners group; although they would most likely be aligned with Stark.

The Brotherhood without Banners, actually.

Nion on
    edited October 2007
    Osvik wrote: »
    Well Stannis did tell Catelyn Stark that he considered what Robb did as treason so if he had been more successful on the Blackwater I'm sure the Direwolf and the Stag would have come to blows.
    While "Stick-Up-His-Ass" Stannis might have gone to war over it I think he'd have had a lot of dissension if Robb had agreed to swear fealty again but he continued his war.

Nion, I'd say his claim is based on kinship his ability to press the issue is based upon military matters. Everybody is pushing a claim that at least appears valid. Though Renley's is the weakest of pretty much everybodies.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited October 2007
    Nion wrote: »
    The Brotherhood without Banners, actually.

ah crap, yeah thats it
    I always think it is "of Banners" because everyone in the group comes from different backgrounds/houses/banners

Unknown User on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Finally, the last team alive wins.

Clarification: Are there any alternate win conditions?

durax on
  • LucienLucien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nions list sounds plausible, but we will probably have to add some to it as things get clearer.

I'm toying with the idea of a Kingsguard faction, who would have some objective around the regent. Maybe make certain the title-holder stays alive for x number of turns or something (que the Jaime Lannister jokes), but it doesn't feel right. Flavorwise they could even be a faction of guardians, which would certainly spice things up even more.

Lucien on
    "This is my Timey-Whimie detector, it goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces"
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would entertain the opportunity to become the Hand. No real motivations, I've just never held any title in a Phalla before.

So to address realistic kinships:

Joffrey Lannister
    Stannis Baratheon
    Renly Baratheon
    Robb Stark
    Balon Greyjoy

are all possibilities. That puts 8 per group. But we already have a group with three (CJ). However, they still might be part of a House.

Thoughts?

Jester313 on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    durax wrote: »
    Finally, the last team alive wins.

Clarification: Are there any alternate win conditions?

No, the last team alive wins.

Plutonium on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Although I love the speculation, remember that I have sacrificed a little lore for game mechanics and balance.

The characters in AsoIaF are all extremely round, and there are many of them that have more ambiguous loyalties, who I had to definitively place in one house or another. Almost no character in aSoIaF can be classified as totally good or evil. Although Cersei is an evil bitch. (Actually, I think that the most evil character in the series would have to be Gregor Clegane, who basically just kills for fun.)

I could have given half of you "Lannister Bannerman" or whatever, but I decided it would be much more awesome to have every one of you get named character, many of the PoV characters, although I fear that I may have stuffed a few of you into allegiances that do not completely reflect your character's role in the books. Alliances are always shifting in aSoIaF, and although most characters are placed appropriately, some of them are are bit more pigeonholed into a certain role. Research went in to this game.

However, there is one thing I will say. There is something special about each of you. There are no Vanillas - everyone has something beyond just a vote. Some of you just may be a bit more special than others.

Plutonium on