As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Chat] that does NOT discuss Avengers: Age of Ultron

1899091929395»

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Avengers 2: Money Never Sleeps

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I woke up 1 minute before my alarm

Going to bed stupid early is great

I'm an old

poo
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Avengers 2.

As in: Tomorrow. I won't lie, I'm kinda giddy.

• Options

I'm an old

No, you're just soft. I went to bed around 1am and was at work 7am. I feel greatzzzzzz

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Time to die sleep.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    When you sleep you die.

A clone will wake up tomorrow with your memories.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    My fear is that this kicks off a copyright blitz of the entire modding scene

like for example some of my favorite mods are Star Trek content, they exist in a limbo where Paramount turn a blind eye as long as no one sells a product based on their IP

this sort of thing could draw IP holders down on the modding scene like a ton of bricks and start running a "no using our IP for anything ever" policy just for the sake of simplicity rather than hiring a battalion of lawyers to check if money is changing hands

C&Ds have always been a thing happening to mods

Usually when they got big enough to bother.

I don't think anyone is going to start caring about the nude picard skyrim mods

Money changing hands is irrelevant

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Valve: Money Never Sleeps

fixed for other chat discussion

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @spacekungfuman yeah, there's a huge difference

yellow is a really challenging color to get right but i have it down

it just takes forever (4 hours/marine, basically)

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I think I have mostly come to the conclusion that I have not really given R many reasons to believe this is something that could turn, or was already, serious

I think

I hope. Actually I'm not sure of my conclusion.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

I'm an old

No, you're just soft. I went to bed around 1am and was at work 7am. I feel greatzzzzzz

I would be pooping my guts out and all my joints would hurt if I did this semi regularly

poo
  • Options
    I think yellow is pretty easy. I miraculously produce it multiple times a day.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Vanguard do you white base for your yellow models? That always seemed to help the yellows pop, it was just a pain because you couldn't let even a tenth of a millimeter be uncovered or it stuck out like a fire alarm.

The other advice I read was to do lots and lots and lots and lots of really thin coats and just build that shit up over time but holy jeez I never had the patience for that.

• Options

I'm an old

I would be pooping my guts out and all my joints would hurt if I did this semi regularly

When I was younger I spent weeks on only four hours a night. And it was ok! If I did that now, I'd fall apart.
    I need six to eight hours generally, but can compromise on two or three days a week.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think yellow is pretty easy. I miraculously produce it multiple times a day.

Check your working kidney privilege.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    My fear is that this kicks off a copyright blitz of the entire modding scene

like for example some of my favorite mods are Star Trek content, they exist in a limbo where Paramount turn a blind eye as long as no one sells a product based on their IP

this sort of thing could draw IP holders down on the modding scene like a ton of bricks and start running a "no using our IP for anything ever" policy just for the sake of simplicity rather than hiring a battalion of lawyers to check if money is changing hands

C&Ds have always been a thing happening to mods

Usually when they got big enough to bother.

I don't think anyone is going to start caring about the nude picard skyrim mods

Money changing hands is irrelevant

i was more thinking hypothetically about stuff like SoA2 or Armada 3

huge well produced mods that their creators put hundreds of man hours into

and all of it based on Star Trek IP that Paramount could sue the pants off them for if they so desired

right now a lot of companies like Paramount operate on the enlightened view that it's free advertising and as long as no one is selling their IP it's kosher

if companies decide to harden their stance on IP usage in response to crap like this we will lose a lot of fantastic mods

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Vanguard do you white base for your yellow models? That always seemed to help the yellows pop, it was just a pain because you couldn't let even a tenth of a millimeter be uncovered or it stuck out like a fire alarm.

The other advice I read was to do lots and lots and lots and lots of really thin coats and just build that shit up over time but holy jeez I never had the patience for that.

Yeah, I base white. Here is my process:

1) Basecoat Averland Sunset
    2) Wash with Reikland Fleshade (this makes the recesses look great and weathered
    3) 2nd basecoat of Averland
    4) 1st Layer of yriel Yellow
    5) 2nd layer of yriel yellow

I can generally get the coverage I want in 2 layers of each yellow. I generally don't bother with edge highlighting, but if I do it's Ushbati Bone.

• Options
    also you bet your ass Paramount would get pissed about someone selling a nude Picard mod

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    also you bet your ass Paramount would get pissed about someone selling a nude Picard mod

until they see how much money pulls in and make an official one

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mods that are free live in a legal grey area of IP. They tend to be fine as long as money doesn't change hands.

When money changes hands the IP owner legally has the right to take a cut or shut it down.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    evilbob wrote: »

until they see how much money pulls in and make an official one

as is their prerogative but they're sure as shit not going to tolerate some bumblefuck form the internet putting his hand in their pocket

Casual on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    When you sleep you die.

hah

take that, clone

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mods that are free live in a legal grey area of IP. They tend to be fine as long as money doesn't change hands.

When money changes hands the IP owner legally has the right to take a cut or shut it down.

my impression is that this belief is common but non-profit status has no real legal salience

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    815165 wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    When you sleep you die.

hah

take that, clone

heh sucks to be that poor bastard amirite?

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Paying for mods

Seems laughable.

They have the right anyway

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

my impression is that this belief is common but non-profit status has no real legal salience

that's exactly what he meant by "grey area"

we currently operate on a fragile gentlemans understanding involving the IP owners looking the other way as long as their business interests aren't affected

IP owners hold all the cards here, the law is completely on their side

mods that use IP can only exist as long as they stay really far away from money

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    People just start acting like irrationally as soon as they hear people are deriving material benefit

• Options
    Financial benefit tends to be seen as undermining particular fair use defenses though

Mods are largely not fair use so it's less relevant

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    People just start acting like irrationally as soon as they hear people are deriving material benefit

i'm actually fine with the concept of "this is my IP, i created it and invested in making it a thing people will spend money on based on brand recognition that i built up, you have no right to profit from that brand recognition without giving me my cut"

that's actually pretty reasonable imo

Casual on
  • Options
    @Geth red card for the mobile site for signing me out, again.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    plus copyright law being as retarded as it is it forces IP owners to act draconian by making it that they can actually lose control of their IP if they don't fight to protect it

Games Workshop are a bunch of cunts with their IP, but its the way the law is written that makes them act that way

Casual on
  • Options

i'm actually fine with the concept of "this is my IP, i created it and invested in making it a thing people will spend money on based on brad recognition that i built up, you have no right to profit from that brand recognition without giving me my cut"

I think that's one of the worst in terms of morality and consequence positions to develop from the modern age and ip disputes.

The fundamental problem though is it is irrational

• Options
    plus copyright law being as retarded as it is it forces IP owners to act draconian by making it that they can actually lose control of their IP if they don't fight to protect it

Games Workshop are a bunch of cunts with their IP, but tits the way the law is written that makes them act that way

That applies only to trademarks and only within the relevant industries for that trademark

• Options

i'm actually fine with the concept of "this is my IP, i created it and invested in making it a thing people will spend money on based on brad recognition that i built up, you have no right to profit from that brand recognition without giving me my cut"

I think that's one of the worst in terms of morality and consequence positions to develop from the modern age and ip disputes.

but without all that would happen is the biggest companies with the most money would steal every new idea that comes along and own it by default just by being able to throw more money at marketing and developing it

• Options

but without all that would happen is the biggest companies with the most money would steal every new idea that comes along and own it by default just by being able to throw more money at marketing and developing it

That seems to be about copyright in general rather than people profiting off of a mod or something.

• Options
    Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.