As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Neudaiz.

And that second mission to didn't go to there sucks. Weird machine guys in tiny little Japanese style rooms.

You do very little damage in this game, unless you're a Force. It's kinda messed up.

Sega really needed to put in more helpful tutorial bits, it's taken a lot of trial, error, and exploring to figure things out. So much bigger than PSO.

How many levels can you go up? Because I'm getting slowly closer to 10, and my job is still level 1. It's also way too hard to get money/items. I want to go back new attacks/weapons/armor, but they're incredibly expensive.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Neudaiz.

And that second mission to didn't go to there sucks. Weird machine guys in tiny little Japanese style rooms.

You do very little damage in this game, unless you're a Force. It's kinda messed up.

Sega really needed to put in more helpful tutorial bits, it's taken a lot of trial, error, and exploring to figure things out. So much bigger than PSO.

How many levels can you go up? Because I'm getting slowly closer to 10, and my job is still level 1. It's also way too hard to get money/items. I want to go back new attacks/weapons/armor, but they're incredibly expensive.
    That's good though. The problem with PSO was stuff ended too fast. You had way too much money with nothing to buy, the online missions were kind of crappy, although I never played the online missions in PSO as my GCN never got online so I can't judge those, and once you hit level 110, it was just a slow level-grind. However, I do agree that damage is kind of messed up. I was level 2 and you guys were level 8 and I was doing more damage than you. The gap shouldn't be that great.

Gilder on
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow, Getting a guardians license on the 360 version took all of two button presses and four seconds. Talk about easy.

UberEv on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Must get home, PSU awaits my love box360.

[seethes with jealousy and impatience]

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    How the fuck do I use new spells? I bought and learned the Barta spell, but I can't seem to use it
    You have to bind them to a weapon. Go into your inventory, select the weapon, and then select "Bind Photon Arts" or somesuch.

SilentCoconut on
    edited October 2006
    Gilder wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    Neudaiz.

That's good though. The problem with PSO was stuff ended too fast. You had way too much money with nothing to buy, the online missions were kind of crappy, although I never played the online missions in PSO as my GCN never got online so I can't judge those, and once you hit level 110, it was just a slow level-grind. However, I do agree that damage is kind of messed up. I was level 2 and you guys were level 8 and I was doing more damage than you. The gap shouldn't be that great.

I started out as a Force. I was able to solo the level 20 mission by just using Foie over and over and over. Like 60 damage to those guys. Everything else I had did 0.

Now I'm a Ranger, and that shotgun is pathetic...like 2 damage to the guys I can hit, which is hard, since it actually just shoots three guys right in the perfect area...unlike the PSO shotguns, which just hit five guys somewhere in front of you. Bah!

I'll soldier on, though. My friends are getting online tonight.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just finished my homework and got on. Server is not responding, so I guess the fated Thursday server work has begun.

UberEv on
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I was playing the single-player game today while I sort out a problem with my credit card, one thing you probably want to know since I imagine a few of you will be playing it during the downtime: the various events that happen where the game keeps track of how long you take to complete it; you get more money depending on your rank (S, A, B, etc), and getting an S rank gets you a special item and a large increase in money over rank A. So far I've gotten some sword skill (the one your start with I think) and a spear.

The single player is so hilariously bad, mostly due to voices. At the start of every chapter you see the opening cinematic again, with these song lyrics (sung in english):

Who said we are lost again in this lonely world
    I say we can start again we're on the same ship
    It's called starship Earth

It is not too late it's our home so don't say that it's fate
    We must not give up to build our future on our dreams

We will never lie down to die
    But we'll find a way to survive
    We all have somebody we love we know that's we're here

We battle for freedom
    It is a battle against the Dark
    I have my dreams you know I'm not afraid of bleeding It is the time!

We battle for tommorow
    It is a battle against time
    and we can do miracles so take my hand we need to save this world!

Borrowed from Gamefaqs FAQ

Then the end of each chapter has a little "Coming up next week" type thing where they basically tell you everything that happens in the next chapter.

The best part so far is when you get introduced to your helper robot, and main guy decides to call him Pete. Not that funny on paper but combined with the voice acting it is quite enjoyable.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited October 2006
    I'm in on the xbox 360 version. Universe 1 right now.

Evigilant, Hume, lvl 4.

Evigilant on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So... PC version. Is it possible to have two players on the same PC? Online?

s3rial one on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I went to three Best Buys today looking for this, and none of them had it.

I've been to a Best Buy each day this week trying to score a copy.

I'm using the gamer's giftcard, which is how I screwed myself into a best buy only purchase.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2006
    PSO1 had great music. So did 2, but...they changed the lyrics from Japanese to English. With similarly hilarious results.

It's a long, long road...to the landing site. A long, long road.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, I've made it online on the 360 version.

Gamertag: RedMageDarion
    Character name: Darion

Let's partay! (I just started, but I'll be a party-able level in like 20 minutes, I'll wager.)

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Where are you at now? If you want, I will meet up with you and give you my Partner card. I have almost everyone else's from PA who is playing on the PS2/PC servers. Too bad you can't trade other people's cards though, lol.
    We need to have a big meeting in your room, so everyone can exchange cards. Since I'm on the PC, I can't read the forums while playing, so I've barely gotten anyones card.

SilentCoconut on
    edited October 2006
    Where are you at now? If you want, I will meet up with you and give you my Partner card. I have almost everyone else's from PA who is playing on the PS2/PC servers. Too bad you can't trade other people's cards though, lol.
    We need to have a big meeting in your room, so everyone can exchange cards. Since I'm on the PC, I can't read the forums while playing, so I've barely gotten anyones card.

Have you tried running in Windowed mode? I found it to vastly increase my performance as well.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I found rappies! I killed them and got a rappy feather. I wonder what its for.

piL on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    To any 360 players. Going to be meeting with people, trading cards, and getting groups together in a few. Universe 15 (pretty quiet here, so hard to miss one another) in front of the stairs on the second floor of the satellite. My character's name is Kirin.

Aoi on
    edited October 2006
    piL wrote:
    I found rappies! I killed them and got a rappy feather. I wonder what its for.

Me too!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2006

[Deleted User] on
  • MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Installed! I am doing the online tour at the moment then my friend will show me around. My name is Voltage ingame. His is NoirBandit. Is there a specific place anyone is meeting to excahnge cards for the PS2/PC?

happydance.jpg

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
    edited October 2006

[Deleted User] on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well I'm hopping on now. Player name Jaef on PC/PS2 servers. I'll be on G&T Vent in Game On 3 if anyone cares to join me.

JAEF on
  • catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't seem to get online with my 360.

I have purchased the Guardian's Liscence off of the Marketplace.

When I try to go to Online mode I get an error saying "You do not have sufficient privelages to access Xbox Live Multiplayer."

I have xbox live Silver and I was ASSURED you didn't need to subscribe to Gold on top of the Guardian's Liscense in order to play.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
    edited October 2006
    Log off of live, relog back in and try again.

Evigilant on
    edited October 2006
    Evigilant wrote:
    Log off of live, relog back in and try again.

Not working for me :(:(

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
    edited October 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    Well I'm hopping on now. Player name Jaef on PC/PS2 servers. I'll be on G&T Vent in Game On 3 if anyone cares to join me.

I'll currently be in universe 6, we're about to start a mission.

MJ on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, I just installed, PC/PS2 servers. Name's s3rial. Anyone mind showing me the ropes? I played PSO, so I should catch on fast.

EDIT: Well, assuming the patch doesn't take all night.

s3rial one on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The worst part is waiting for the SEGA mailservers so I can get my ID. Send my reply email!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • WheelchairninjaWheelchairninja Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    catalyst wrote:

When I try to go to Online mode I get an error saying "You do not have sufficient privelages to access Xbox Live Multiplayer."

I have xbox live Silver and I was ASSURED you didn't need to subscribe to Gold on top of the Guardian's Liscense in order to play.

I have the exact same problem... who were you assured by that you didn't need Gold to play?

Wheelchairninja on
  • KrellKrell Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    catalyst wrote:

I have the exact same problem... who were you assured by that you didn't need Gold to play?
    The official website says it works with a Silver account.

http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/support_faq.php

Krell on
    LordKrell00.jpg
  • ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So a new EB employee, I shall refer to him from here on as Mr. Cockstain decided it was a good idea to start selling copies of PSU this morning without first setting aside the pre-ordered copies.

He sells all 10 copies they get, 8 of which were pre-ordered.

I bitched at the manager and ended up getting $20 off a copy when the next shipment comes in. (apparently on monday)

Mr. Cockstain got shit from the manager as it was his first time opening alone. It figures it would be the day my pre-order comes in and he sells it.

In closing I am without PSU until early next week.

Fucking Mr. Cockstain.

Zonghui on
    edited October 2006
    Krell wrote:
    catalyst wrote:

The official website says it works with a Silver account.

http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/support_faq.php

Yep:
    "Can I buy a GUARDIANS License with a Silver Xbox Live Account?(2-4)
    Yes, you definitely can! "

Also:
    "System Requirements: Xbox360:
    Xbox 360 Console
    Gold or Silver tier Xbox Live
    Broadband connection
    *optional: USB Keyboard"

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • 16-Bit Hero16-Bit Hero Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    I've been trying all day to get online on the xbox 360 with no luck. Anyone been able to get on or have any idea when the servers are going to be back up?

16-Bit Hero on
    Returned to a world where the Dreamcast was no more...
    Now playing: Gears of War, Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Guitar Hero 2, Castlevainia: PoR, Capcom vs SNK 2
    ReK+503.jpg
  • firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ok guys its offical, you DO NOT need to buy the CD to play online.

According to this guy, so if you want to play with your close friend online, both of you can tag your money and only pay for 1 copy.

I going to try that soon.
    Game works fine when mounted in daemon tools. i can confirm 100% that you just need to buy the license and not the game to actually play for PC.

Kinda sad in a way, since the game is worth the money spent on a new copy.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
    edited October 2006

[Deleted User] on
    edited October 2006
    The interface sure does take some getting used to...
    As well as lining up shots with a weapon and the wasd control.

MJ on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MJ wrote:
    I picked it up quick. You've got to pretend you're playing a console game. If you can grab a PS2/360 (or knockoff) controller to hook up to your PC it would feel a lot smoother.

It's better than FFXI's shitty interface, at least.

JAEF on
    edited October 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    MJ wrote:
    I picked it up quick. You've got to pretend you're playing a console game. If you can grab a PS2/360 (or knockoff) controller to hook up to your PC it would feel a lot smoother.

It's better than FFXI's shitty interface, at least.

Yeah after 5 minutes of flailing around with the keyboard I plugged in the gamepad. It makes a huge difference, though typing would be more difficult.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited October 2006
    Dodging attacks is what I'm having trouble with. In PSO, I could prettymuch avoid 99% of attacks. Good ol' light->strong->back up took care of every Booma-esque enemy. Here, I hit them...and they still hit me. Or I can see them swing, and move out of the way...and it still hits me. Might be why I decided to just step back and use guns.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png