As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Cross posting for anybody that doesn't hit up the general threads here or in SE++

The Star Wars Armada core set is on sale at Cool Stuff Inc. for only $55 in case anybody was on the fence or wanted to pick up a second.

iguanacus on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tempting!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Cross posting for anybody that doesn't hit up the general threads here or in SE++

The Star Wars Armada core set is on sale at Cool Stuff Inc. for only $55 in case anybody was on the fence or wanted to pick up a second.

... You bastard.
    I'VE GOT A GIFT CARD!!!!
    With a smaller balance on it now.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Ha, their cheapest international shipping option is $60. No thanks.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah $40 to ship to Canada

Not worth it

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Whew, back up to the normal price. I would have jumped on it if I didn't just drop 100 bucks on X-Wing and EotE

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Bothans are reporting that Wave 1 should arrive in stores on the 12th, or a few days after.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I just gotten this game and it's pretty much my first table top miniature game.

How are you guys storing the figures? Cause I every time I take out the Nebula from the plastic holder I'm afraid that I'm going to break it.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I took out all the packaging and threw everything into the bottom half of the box.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited May 2015
    So I just gotten this game and it's pretty much my first table top miniature game.

How are you guys storing the figures? Cause I every time I take out the Nebula from the plastic holder I'm afraid that I'm going to break it.

Oh yeah for sweet mercy don't use the plastic holder it came in. It was scary enough just pulling the Nebulon out the first time.

Your storage options are:
    • Custom cut foam like Battlefoam
    • Self-cut pluckfoam (I use this for my Victory Star Destroyers)
    • Plano/Stanley/Other tackle box style cases (I use these for all the little game pieces, the squadrons, and the Rebel ships padded with pluckfoam remains)
    • Microhangar/Tuckbox self-folded boxes:
    6FeLLlA.jpg?1

wonderpug on
    mo7QZLu.png?1

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I played my first game of Armada the other day using the 'learn the game' scenario.

All round, this is a very well designed game. I can see myself playing this regularly. Also, my buddy learned a very valuable lesson; don't park in front of the star destroyer. I damn near one shotted is corvette.

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Anybody have a comparison shot from Celebration with the Victory next to the Imperial-class? I remember seeing it somewhere but can't find it.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Is anyone else disappointed that the ship classes don't have any inherent special abilities?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • AgNTobiasAgNTobias Registered User new member
    Yo! fairly new to the site and was just reading up on what you guys thought of and are trying with armada. I love the game and have broke down and own two of each ship =X. However i wanted to point out a rule for navy building that I saw. When you are building your fleet your squadron point total cant be more then one third of the fleet points. Which means you cant ever have more then 100 points in squadrons. I would have loved to try tie swarm myself but this limits it a tiny bit. Can still do it but with the basic ties primarily.

edited May 2015
    20150522_160828.jpg

Here's my recent arrivals

AnteCantelope on
  • AgNTobiasAgNTobias Registered User new member
    That picture right there is why i love Armada... All the ships capital and the mass star fighters look amazing.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So is anybody painting their star fighters?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So is anybody painting their star fighters?

Some folks at the con I am at did. It makes a HUGE difference, worth the work imo,

Any chance you can snag some pictures? I'd love to see their work.

I've seen some people paint theirs. One guy's looked awful, but mostly it's a significant improvement. They're so small they don't have to look great, just some nice little details and let your memory fill in the rest.

There's a Games Workshop store near me that does free painting lessons. Even though it's the wrong franchise, they've told me I can bring my fighters in and they'll help me get the right paints and brushes, and show me how to do it, which is very nice of them. I've not painted miniatures before, so I'm looking forward to it.

I've seen some people paint theirs. One guy's looked awful, but mostly it's a significant improvement. They're so small they don't have to look great, just some nice little details and let your memory fill in the rest.

There's a Games Workshop store near me that does free painting lessons. Even though it's the wrong franchise, they've told me I can bring my fighters in and they'll help me get the right paints and brushes, and show me how to do it, which is very nice of them. I've not painted miniatures before, so I'm looking forward to it.

wrong or right franchise, if they can score your business then it's a win for them. I imagine the the branded paints have a pretty good margin.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    GW's paints are good but don't let them sell you brushes.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

wrong or right franchise, if they can score your business then it's a win for them. I imagine the the branded paints have a pretty good margin.

The real margin items are the non-paint equipment for the hobby.
    GW branded brushes, sculpting tools, flock and basing materials...

True, they get to sell me paint. But the guy was very cool about it, telling me when they have free painting lessons, or to come in any other time and they'll make time for me. Telling me he could sell me a bunch of paint I don't need but he'd rather I bring them in, and he can see what they need and show me how to do it. It was a much better experience than I expected given that they're not Games Workshop miniatures.

edited May 2015

True, they get to sell me paint. But the guy was very cool about it, telling me when they have free painting lessons, or to come in any other time and they'll make time for me. Telling me he could sell me a bunch of paint I don't need but he'd rather I bring them in, and he can see what they need and show me how to do it. It was a much better experience than I expected given that they're not Games Workshop miniatures.

I used to work in the Archery business and our unofficial motto was that we didn't care what you shot, as long as you were an archer. Of course we hoped once you tried our products you would switch over. The potential Archery market for our products was only about 500k people, so if we could encourage someone to pick up the hobby it was a great thing.

I guess what I'm saying is they're hoping you'll fall down the rabbit hole of GW minis once you see them painted during a class. Resist! Still pretty awesome though. That's why I try to support my FLGS whenever possible.

webguy20 on
    AgNTobias wrote: »
    When you are building your fleet your squadron point total cant be more then one third of the fleet points. Which means you cant ever have more then 100 points in squadrons. I would have loved to try tie swarm myself but this limits it a tiny bit. Can still do it but with the basic ties primarily.

FYI when Wave 2 releases they're supposedly going to be raising the official fleet point limit to 400.

Had my second game of Armada yesterday, against a friend who has played a bunch of X-Wing but didn't know a lot about Armada. We spent about an hour going over the rules, and my theories of what works, before we started playing. I was Imperials, he was Rebels, and we decided on a 180 point deathmatch.
    We'd talked about how the Rebels benefit from longer range, and outmanoeuvring the Imperials, and how the Rebel fighters are a big strength, so I picked the Vic with blue dice, instead of the short range black dice, point defence systems, flight controllers, and 8 TIE fighters. In return, he completely surprised me by taking an Assault Frigate, a Corvette, and 2 X-Wings: Wedge and Luke.
    I don't think he realised the strength of squadron commands. He had one fighter with each ship, and I used squadron commands to drop 3 fighters on one, then the other, and killed them both before they got an attack. He charged the Corvette straight at my Vic's side, and I learnt that the forward arc of a Corvette is surprisingly strong, but then he ended up right next to me, trading broadsides, and my forward arc had a shot at his tail.
    The Assault Frigate is quite strong, and he was using the right idea with it, circling my Vic and keeping his side guns on me, staying out of my forward arc, but he was going too fast so that when he was behind me, he was out of range. My TIEs kept wearing him down, I lost 5 squadrons at this point, but when we reengaged he had a little damage and two unshielded sections, and it was all over.

A lot of fun! And next time we play, it won't take so long, and we should get more games in.

Man, I wish I could just stop the victory Star Destroyer. It's just so slow and lumbersome that you can't change its strategy all that easily.

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I swear I designed this game 15 years ago in college, adapting from the WEG RPG ship stats....

Production value looks a smidge better with this version, though.

The_Infidel on
  • The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Oh, and WTF is a Gladiator-class SD?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh, and WTF is a Gladiator-class SD?

An old new ship-type!

It originally showed up in Droids, of all places, in 1985, but wasn't given a name until recently.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    Magnetic playmat: http://www.warmats.com/
    $80 for an epic sized mat(or two regular sized mats) and 20 stick on magnets. And a case.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    I've been painting my fighters, with roughly the idea that half are painted 'canonically' and half are painted in a way I think looks good. Pretty much done with my Rebel fighters now. I have a few extra X-Wings but I'll leave them for now. Started on the Imperial fighters, I'm painting them black instead of black and grey, partly because it looks good and partly because I'm lazy. Done half of them, will do the next half when I have an idea what I want them to look like.

I'm really happy with the purple and yellow A-Wings, though I don't like the mostly yellow X, Y, and B-Wings. I ended up really liking the all-black fighters, and especially the one with yellow flecks on it.

20150621_172026.jpg
    20150621_172037.jpg
    20150621_172047.jpg
    20150621_172056.jpg
    20150621_172119.jpg

Damn if that doesn't make me want to play the game even more!

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Whelp, I bought into this game today. The call of the plastic spaceships was too strong.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Just got back from playing my first game of Armada. Did the starter game with another new player.

Here is my take: You might not want to arrange a situation where your Nebulon is stuck in front of a Star Destroyer and can't move. If you nevertheless do find yourself in that situation, you might not want to move your corvette into just the right spot to stop the Nebulon from moving the next turn either. But if you do, I suggest having your opponent roll like 2 hits total on their 7 die focus fire attack.

This game is pretty rad. I'm trying not to think about how much money it's going to eventually cost me.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    In my starting game my wife just danced circles around my Star Destroyer with the Rebel scum, 'twere very sad.

I got some more ships and going to play a full 300 against someone who knows what they're doing on Tuesday, should be fun.

I just played a match against myself to try out two fleets, and learnt some good lessons from it. I took 3 Vics for the Imperials, with no fighter cover. This works well, and Motti is very valuable in a 3 Vic list, but don't split them up! I had one separate, and it did basically nothing. I think keeping that close would have stopped the Rebel victory that happened.
    The second lesson is that Minefields absolutely destroys a Rebel fleet, especially against such an aggressive Imperial fleet. As the Imperial player, I spread the obstacles and mines over one side of the map, and it forced the game to play almost entirely on the other side of the map. 3 Vics in such a narrow configuration is devastating for the Rebels.
    I tried to run a Corvette through the minefield, which cost it two damage, so a Vic went along the edge of the mines to hold it off, and it ended up basically taking the two of them out of the game.
    One big advantage to an all-ship fleet is that any points your opponent has put into anti-squadron capabilities are wasted. My Rebel fleet had an A-Wing, Expanded Hangars, and Flight Controllers, that were all wasted. Unique pilots are a bit of a waste too, because they'll never need their defence tokens.

If I fly them better, I can see 3 Vics being a really solid list. Advanced Gunnery, Contested Outpost, and Minefields are all play very, very well for that fleet, and at 295 points I can see it winning most initiative bids.

Anyway, here are the two fleets:
    (295 of 300 pts) Faction: The Empire
    Flagship: (109 pts)
    Victory II-Class Star Destroyer(85 pts)
    Admiral Motti (24 pts)

Fleet Ship 1: (93 pts)
    Overload Pulse (8 pts)

Fleet Ship 2: (93 pts)
    Warlord (8 pts)

Squadrons (0 of 99 pts):

Objectives:
    Advanced Gunnery
    Contested Outpost
    Minefields

If they take Advanced Gunnery, I'd make the Fleet Ship 1 the objective ship, for the chance to fire twice from its front arc, at the start of the turn, and exhaust the defence tokens of two ships. Minefields obviously forces everything into a smaller area. Contested Outpost fits brilliantly with this list, because I can park on top of it and just dare anyone to come close. And if they don't, that's 100 victory points. The costs of the ships are spread about to make none a high-value target. 295 is a bit low, but it's important to win the initiative bid, because some objectives would absolutely not fit this fleet at all.
    (299 of 300 pts) Faction: Rebel Alliance
    Flagship: (103 pts)
    Assault Frigate Mark II B(72 pts)
    General Dodonna (20 pts)
    Flight Controllers (6 pts)
    Expanded Hangar Bay (5 pts)

Fleet Ship 1: (58 pts)
    Nebulon-B Support Refit(51 pts)
    Salvation (7 pts)

Fleet Ship 2: (53 pts)
    CR90 Corvette B(39 pts)
    Engine Techs (8 pts)
    Dodonna's Pride (6 pts)

Squadrons (85 of 100 pts):
    1x Tycho Celchu A-Wing Squadron (16 pts)
    2x Y-Wing Squadron (20 pts)
    1x Luke Skywalker X-Wing Squadron (20 pts)
    1x X-Wing Squadron (13 pts)
    1x Dutch Vander Y-Wing Squadron (16 pts)

Objectives:
    Precision Strike
    Hyperspace Assault
    Superior Positions

This is a much more general fleet. The Nebulon is surprisingly hardy, I wrote it off originally but it can trade shots with a Vic and survive. 4 red dice (with concentrated fire), double damage on a crit, means it can outshoot a Vic's front arc at long range, it's just as tough as a Vic (from the front), and it's almost half the points. I have that trailing the Assault Frigate, at low speed, so it can stay at long range as long as possible. Dodonna's Pride with General Dodonna is brutal, I don't know if it *needs* Engine Techs though. I don't know about Tycho, Dutch, or the generic X-Wing, but Luke and generic Y-Wings are incredible against ships. This game didn't teach me much about making the most of my squadrons though, so I'll have to try them out more later.

My first real game of Armada:

The rebel fleet, convoying Mon Mothma on a diplomatic mission with the Salvation, the Yavaris, and the Corvette Redshirt, is ambushed by two Victory II-class Star destroyers. Panicking, the Yavaris launches its X-wing squadrons, which destroy several squadrons of TIE fighters that are already on top of the convoy- and then yaws hard to starboard and promptly glances off of the Redshirt. The Redshirt, undeterred and with more bravery than sense, charges straight into the bow turbolasers of the Dominator, and explodes without firing a shot. Enraged, the captain of the Salvation closes with the Dominator, firing all turbolasers as the B-wings off the Yavaris also close in, and he heroically rams the Dominator, destroying it but taking serious damage in the process.

Surprised by the loss of his second Star Destroyer, Admiral Screed watches as Major Rhymer and his remaining escort are decimated by Luke Skywalker and the Salvation comes around for another pass. Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor, he orders his carrier to jump to hyperspace, leaving the remaining Rebel ships to lick their wounds and continue on their diplomatic mission.
    Yavaris + B-wings handle Fleet Ambush surprisingly well! If you can actually pull off a double B-wing activation with Yavaris, it's 8 black dice with crits enabled. It works even better if you don't ram your own ships or throw a Corvette right in front of Dominator.