As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Studios v. Wallets: Age of [Comics in the Movies, on TV, and Other Places]

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I liked BvR. What didn't you like about it?

Well I didn't have nearly as many problems with it as Son of Batman, but I really dislike the guy they got to voice Batman. It's the same guy they've had from Justice League War, right? He's is just so flat... and not in a cool, stoic Batman way. Not just him, a lot of the actors just seemed like they didn't fit into their character's skin. Damian's voice was actually really good though.

Also it kinda just had a lot of the same problems that Court of Owls did, mainly that the bad guys go from awesome looking villains to ridiculous jobbers super quickly.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Huh. Inhumans is coming out after Infinity War? Wouldn't have thought that. Their being pushed pretty hard in other media, I expected their film to come out sooner.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It got pushed back from November 2018 because of Spider-Man.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    After seeing Age of Ultron (spoilers for it follow) it gave me the idea that in Civil War as the inciting incident they're going to
    kill off or seriously hurt teenage Peter Parker, which then creates the huge backlash instead of the New Warriors incident. I wouldn't have thought Marvel would be willing to kill off their characters, but with what they did to Quicksilver I think they might use that hook.

• M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Avengers watched. Nothing really unpredictable about it. Enjoyable, though.
    At the end, they set up "The New Avengers," which appears to be led by Captain America and Black Widow--and consists of War Machine, Vision, Falcon (in a new suit that features some red), and Scarlet Witch. I assume Civil War will start with this team being active.

M-Tee on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Zavian wrote: »
    After seeing Age of Ultron (spoilers for it follow) it gave me the idea that in Civil War as the inciting incident they're going to
    kill off or seriously hurt teenage Peter Parker, which then creates the huge backlash instead of the New Warriors incident. I wouldn't have thought Marvel would be willing to kill off their characters, but with what they did to Quicksilver I think they might use that hook.

AoU speculation
    They're not killing off Parker, not this early at any rate.

Harry Dresden on
    M-Tee wrote: »
    Avengers watched. Nothing really unpredictable about it. Enjoyable, though.
    At the end, they set up "The New Avengers," which appears to be led by Captain America and Black Widow--and consists of War Machine, Vision, Falcon (in a new suit that features some red), and Scarlet Witch. I assume Civil War will start with this team being active.
    I love that line-up.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Zavian wrote: »
    what

that is insane

there is no way that is hapening.

You realize that after Civil War, the Spider-Man Movie is happeing, right? Starring Peter Parker.

Langly on
    edited April 2015
    Age of Ultron spoilers
    I don't know if this is real or fake, but it is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYQlGxrkYg

Harry Dresden on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    its fake.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Official image of Jared Leto as the Joker:
    mX4UIFr.jpg
    I'm going to give it a thumbs down for now. Looks like the new Joker's origin is that he fell into a vat of Hot Topic.

... I stole that joke.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Fits right in with the rest of the dc cinematic universe.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yup, that'll sit comfortably in the hot dumpster that is the DC Cinematic Universe.

ok so there i was a series of HA HA HAs, yeah just keep going... yeah go on yeah great, this looks great, this is a good decision.

cshadow42 wrote: »
    Official image of Jared Leto as the Joker:
    mX4UIFr.jpg
    I'm going to give it a thumbs down for now. Looks like the new Joker's origin is that he fell into a vat of Hot Topic.

... I stole that joke.

DC, go home - you're drunk.

And of course the internet responded:
    CDaPkZXUsAEI--k.jpg

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Looks a bit better in a suit
    CDc8wjMVIAA5PMQ.png

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    you can still see that "damaged" forehead tattoo, though

And the metal teeth.

To me, the Joker always seemed a bit...dapper. Like he could be quiet and unassuming, but that was when he was most dangerous. Jared Leto's Joker just seems so...loud. Like there is just no subtlety to his Joker.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya that's not improving the original picture, that's just ruining a nice purple suit

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    I think my favorite thing about the current DC Cinematic Universe is that they're setting it up the Justice League so that there's almost no possible way that it will share continuity with the DC TV Universe. I really enjoy the Flash and Arrow, so keeping them far removed from this Suicide Squad (and let's face it, probably BvS and the JL movies as well) train wreck is really the best thing I can hope for.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I was reading something yesterday about how in the film he won't have any tattoos and that they were just added for the sake of the photo. Probably too good to be true.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I was reading something yesterday about how in the film he won't have any tattoos and that they were just added for the sake of the photo. Probably too good to be true.

Translation: "Oh shit, people hate the tattoos, let's ditch them."

If that statement is taken on face value it makes no sense at all. It'd be like showing off the Batsuit from Dark Knight Rises as being colored bright pink and saying "Oh, it's not like that in the movie. We just did that for the promo material."

Then again, controversy generates buzz and attention so I could actually see them manufacturing some.

that is definitely a turn around based on reaction.

Doing it right:
    eymfchl378x0et18huhh.jpg

I...don't like that? Maybe it looks better in motion but it screams saturday morning kids show to me in the image.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I...don't like that? Maybe it looks better in motion but it screams saturday morning kids show to me in the image.

To be fair, X-Men Evolution is maybe the greatest adaptation of the X-Men?

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Doing it right:
    eymfchl378x0et18huhh.jpg

Is that from a high school play version of the X-men?

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Straightzi wrote: »

To be fair, X-Men Evolution is maybe the greatest adaptation of the X-Men?

That's not what I mean. I meant more in the vein of Saved by the Bell or Hoop Dreams.

Disco11 wrote: »
    Doing it right:
    eymfchl378x0et18huhh.jpg

The X-men in Apoclaypse are meant to be teenagers so

edited April 2015
    Doing it right:
    eymfchl378x0et18huhh.jpg

That looks terrible.
    34405z2u3ar7.jpg

Why does this design from over a decade ago look better?

Disco11 on
    I'm not sure the Siegfried and Roy version is any better TBH.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think that looks better at all

CYpGAPn.png
    Well, we might need to agree to disagree on this one.

The Sigfried and Roy comment did make me laugh, though.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Doing it right:
    eymfchl378x0et18huhh.jpg

That looks terrible.
    34405z2u3ar7.jpg

Why does this design from over a decade ago look better?

It's the emo hair swoop on the new one...

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    He's a teenager in the 80s! The hair is totally appropriate

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I didn't realize Apocalypse takes place in the 80's, so they're doing another time travel movie then?

TexiKen wrote: »
    I didn't realize Apocalypse takes place in the 80's, so they're doing another time travel movie then?

The "modern" X-men are over as far as this franchise is concerned. Patrick Stewart's X-men swansong was Days of Future Past - the past X-men were in the 70's. This will be James McAvoy's X-men's last before the big reboot.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nightcrawler is the best, and that's a pretty good 80s teenage Nightcrawler.

And yeah, I kind of appreciate that they're basically just doing a victory lap of the X-Men's greatest hits over the last 50 years instead of trying to build some overblown modern day shared universe concept that they can't support (coughSONYcough).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I think my only problem with the new Nightcrawler ( and now that I see him again, the old Nightcrawler)

Kurt, you are leaving the Teeth Whitening cream on WAY too long buddy.

edit:
    friends_episode129_337x233_032020061511.jpg

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508