As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 24, 2015 - Timeless Sentiments

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image [PA Comic] Friday, April 24, 2015 - Timeless Sentiments

Timeless Sentiments

Timeless Sentiments

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/04/24

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Cool. When will we be seeing this as a shirt in the store?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    oh dear.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    That'd be a terrible tattoo design because of that fade around the text! (Yes, it's a cartoon, I get it...)

I remember being so scared for years of getting a tattoo because I was over-thinking the design process. Now that I've got two, I have tattoo illness and need more, more, more.

• Options
    L_MariachiL_Mariachi Registered User regular
    TFXRaven wrote: »
    That'd be a terrible tattoo design because of that fade around the text!

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a good tattoo design involving a pot leaf and “Cunt Wrecker” script.

• Options
    noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    Awesome now we will have matching tattoos!

• Options
    jklindersjklinders Registered User new member
    edited April 2015
    Well. This won't be controversial at all. I really cannot comprehend how a joke of that nature will not backfire /sarcasm

Maybe context is needed but sometimes you guys seem to court controversy for controversy's sake. That's neither a complement nor an insult. Just a comment.

edit.

OK in context see what he is saying now. I still expect a torch bearing tumbler crowd to storm your gates very soon.

jklinders on
  • Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    $20 says that's Tycho's gamertag/Steam username/PSN account/Origin/whatever. He uses it for at least one of the above.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I'm going to be super disappointed if that isn't his actual tattoo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, the tattoo design is totally disguising the fact that Tycho got tetanus like it ain't no thang. Like everybody's jaw locks up on them every once in a while.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Forehead or arm?

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If the tetanus story is true, I just ... I just don't ... (sigh)

That's very dumb.

Finnish_Line on
  • Options
    TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    do it

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    jklinders wrote: »
    Well. This won't be controversial at all. I really cannot comprehend how a joke of that nature will not backfire /sarcasm

Maybe context is needed but sometimes you guys seem to court controversy for controversy's sake. That's neither a complement nor an insult. Just a comment.

edit.

OK in context see what he is saying now. I still expect a torch bearing tumbler crowd to storm your gates very soon.

What context is needed? The whole joke is that it's in horribly bad taste. That's the punchline. It's totally out of character for Tycho.
    If the tenanus i]sic[/i story is true, I just ... I just don't ... (sigh)

That's very dumb.

Oh honestly. Are you really that credulous? That's obviously just a throw-away joke for the strip.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I lol'd but yea I could see this comic getting some negative attention.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Hopefully never. I don't find this comic at all offensive, but when you make a shirt from just that one part of it, that removes the explanatory context for the vast majority of people who see that shirt. I don't think making a shirt for this would do them any favors.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    A tshirt of that tattoo would be like some sort of weird metahumour object lesson. Tycho is inexplicably drawn to a tattoo he knows is terrible.
    Some people inexplicably want to wear a tshirt of the terrible tattoo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm so confused here by the discussion of controversy. Is everyone so quick to assume that the only way you can "wreck cunts" is by rape (the only way I see this being some kind of controversy)? There's no "cunt wrecking" with consent?

Linktm on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Linktm wrote: »
    I'm so confused here by the discussion of controversy. Is everyone so quick to assume that the only way you can "wreck cunts" is by rape (the only way I see this being some kind of controversy)? There's no "cunt wrecking" with consent?

Yeah, I just took it to be bullshit over-the-top machismo, like the expression "I fucked her brains out." I'm having a real hard time seeing how this could be controversial.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    It's getting to the point where artists can't even make fun of something that is offensive because people will get offended by the thing they are mocking.

The joke is that the tattoo design is terrible. It does not condone or glamorize anything.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Hopefully never. I don't find this comic at all offensive, but when you make a shirt from just that one part of it, that removes the explanatory context for the vast majority of people who see that shirt. I don't think making a shirt for this would do them any favors.

That's the joke. I knew we would never see this in the store. I imagine Gabe and Tycho started talking IRL about what tattoo Tycho would get and it degenerated into what would be the absolute worst tattoo anybody could get and this was the output of that conversation.

Rottonapple on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Possibly offensive is the implication, "this is the kind of tattoo that people who do get tattoos get."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    No one has actually gotten offended by it, so maybe cool it with the OH SHIT HERE COMES THE TUMBLR CROWD bullshit. The tumblr crowd have been utterly absent.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I could imagine IRL Jerry going to Mike for some tattoo art, and he draws it out real nice and then oh noooooo

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Robotic DraconianRobotic Draconian Registered User regular
    Y'know, I see most of the comments talking about how controversy "could" be there, but nobody actually complaining about how controversial it is. It's like the calm before a storm...or you guys are looking too much into it instead of just chuckling and moving on.

• Options
    supermunchkinsupermunchkin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Sooo the joke is that it is offensive. Why all the SJW bullshit? I thought it was hillarious and would buy the t-shirt.

supermunchkin on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There is no SJW bullshit. There is just people complaining about non existent SJW bullshit. I couldn't even find any on Twitter, and that blows up over everything. Shut up about the SJW phantoms already.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That'd be a terrible tattoo design because of that fade around the text! (Yes, it's a cartoon, I get it...)

Yes that's the reason it's a terrible tattoo design :P

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Anyway, speaking of tattoo meta-humour.
    There was a PATV episode about tattoos, and Erika had one of lorem ipsum, which is pretty damn funny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Mike's Tattoo post is pretty great, and I love the new Eyrewood design on his new sleeve. Really interested to see how the rest of it turns out.

• Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    Possibly offensive is the implication, "this is the kind of tattoo that people who do get tattoos get."

Because Tycho is a normal example of that kind of person?

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    No one has actually gotten offended by it, so maybe cool it with the OH SHIT HERE COMES THE TUMBLR CROWD bullshit. The tumblr crowd have been utterly absent.

The only tumbler I'm privy to is the one that dries my clothes. :so_raven:
    L_Mariachi wrote: »
    That'd be a terrible tattoo design because of that fade around the text!

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a good tattoo design involving a pot leaf and “Cunt Wrecker” script.

That's quite an audacious claim. I opt to hold judgement until the gamut of typeface has been applied. Including Wingdings 3.
    I cling to the belief that there is a typeface that will just make that phrase pop just like the phrase itself infers.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Linktm wrote: »

I'm pretty sure my kid is about to do some in a couple of months when she bursts out of my wife.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Locke6854Locke6854 Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested, Tycho's tattoo pics are up on his twitter account.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Hi, I come from Tumblr. I am very okay with this comic. Please stop trying to make non-existent controversy. Thank you.

Also Jerry's tattoo is really nice quality work.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I see 3 nails and a crown, a music note, and a battery. The text reminds me of cuneiform.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    I think it's a typewriter.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Aren't there enough real controversies in the world? Are we reduced to just making them up now?

Neuroskeptic on
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Aren't there enough real controversies in the world? Are we reduced to just making them up now?

That's what the illuminati want us to think.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.