As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, April 27, 2015 - Secondary Innovations

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image [PA Comic] Monday, April 27, 2015 - Secondary Innovations

Secondary Innovations

Secondary Innovations

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/04/27

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ignorance is bliss
    also "first" I never had a chance to do that before.

noxumbra on
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Looks like Mike is starting to tinker with Tycho's design a little more, I like it.(except maybe the brown nose)

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Loving the art on this one. The night-time effects are great.

camo_sig2.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Tycho's face in the third panel is great.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I quite like how the color is changing as night is falling. Nice touch.

• DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    Tychos face all through this strip reminds me how SICK of Gabes shit he must be after existing as characters for so many years.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So... I've been hearing buzz about about "Smart Watches" for ages now, but no one's ever articulated what's actually exciting about them. It displays some stuff from your iPhone, but on a very small screen on your wrist? Is that the whole of it? Or is there something more engaging about this concept that I'm missing, than that it saves you from periodically having to retrieve your phone from your pocket?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Reciprocity11aReciprocity11a Registered User regular
    I just have to ask:
    Samsung, Sony, LG and a few other have had smart watches out for 2 years. Pebble about 3. Yet now that Apple is bringing one out, it's such a big thing? SMDH, I'll just never understand I guess.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    My boss has one. I guess she uses it to see if the vibrating phone at her hip is worth answering?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    So... I've been hearing buzz about about "Smart Watches" for ages now, but no one's ever articulated what's actually exciting about them. It displays some stuff from your iPhone, but on a very small screen on your wrist? Is that the whole of it? Or is there something more engaging about this concept that I'm missing, than that it saves you from periodically having to retrieve your phone from your pocket?
    One use case is that women are much more likely to not keep their phones in a pocket (I suspect this is the segment buying all the huge phones too). Having a smart watch lets them actually know when they get a notification/call/whatever. I do not know if that segment is enough to drive a new market, but combine that with the Apple Reality Distortion Field™ and maybe it is.

• Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    My boss has one. I guess she uses it to see if the vibrating phone at her hip is worth answering?

It's only a matter of time until Apple releases an alarm clock that wakes you up (like a normal alarm clock) and then tells you if it's even worth getting up at all.
    Clock: "Go back to sleep. In fact, just sleep forever while you continue to let the Apple IV consume your life force, leaving you in a catatonic state until you cease to exist; then, and only then, will you be obsolete and we'll upgrade our system to a newer, younger model: your offspring."
    homer-simpson_apocalypse-playlist-308x308.png
    More appropriately, I stumbled upon this image, which perfectly illustrates how we're just assembling our own demise:

The-end-is-near.jpg

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

It's only a matter of time until Apple releases an alarm clock that wakes you up (like a normal alarm clock) and then tells you if it's even worth getting up at all.
    Clock: "Go back to sleep. In fact, just sleep forever while you continue to let the Apple IV consume your life force, leaving you in a catatonic state until you cease to exist; then, and only then, will you be obsolete and we'll upgrade our system to a newer, younger model: your offspring."
    homer-simpson_apocalypse-playlist-308x308.png

but we already had this movie
    nWfkFyy.jpg

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've got a smart watch. I primarily use it for the text alerts. It's way easier to glance at your wrist and check a text than it is to fish a phone out of your pocket. Especially at the dinner table, or in the car, or at work, or whenever.

I also have mine sync'd to the "At Bat" app on my iPhone. I get status updates on the scores of games streamed to my phone. My phone buzzes, I can quickly glance at it and see that Eric Hosmer just hit a homerun. Or whatever.

Lastly, I love that you can download and pick your watch-face. There are times when I want to see more info displayed on my watch-face, and times when I want less. Being able to go in and change the display of my watch is super neato.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    General agreement is there's no compelling "must have" smart watch app yet.

I'm hoping that Apple market dominance provides the userbase for developers to possibly find some useful apps. Which I'll then someday install on an android watch.

What is this I don't even.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Be James Bond.

• lkiuhasdfuiuylkiuhasdfuiuy Registered User new member
    This is how Cardboard tube samurai would look nowadays with Gabe's inhuman mouth style: http://imgur.com/hpdIYAv . I guess the eyes should be edited to look crazier, too.

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Can we take a moment and discuss how the funniest part of this comic is the deadpan pun in the first panel?

"I've been thinking about the erotic possibilities of the Apple Watch."

"I don't doubt that for a second."

CLASSIC.

• The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    "Cydonian Dick Engine" needs to be a band name so bad.

• noblersonnoblerson Registered User regular
    DoctorEars wrote: »
    Tychos face all through this strip reminds me how SICK of Gabes shit he must be after existing as characters for so many years.

Lest we forget:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/20

At this point, I think it's a two-way street.

• DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    noblerson wrote: »

Lest we forget:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/20

At this point, I think it's a two-way street.

Hahaha, I forgot about that strip. It probably is a two-way street by this point!

• PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This is how Cardboard tube samurai would look nowadays with Gabe's inhuman mouth style: http://imgur.com/hpdIYAv . I guess the eyes should be edited to look crazier, too.

Or, you know, CTS might look like this image Mike posted three weeks ago. Looks fine to me.

• GreyfellGreyfell Registered User new member
    In all my many years of reading PA I have never once made a post on the forum. This strip inspired me to make an account and I mean the following the nicest, most constructive way possible.

Tycho's new head doesn't look great. He looks like a tumor is slowly siphoning off his cranium's innards, gaining mass until there is only The Growth. He looks like he fell into radioactive waste and is slowly becoming The Leader, after which I assume he will retire from Penny-Arcade to battle The Hulk full time. He looks like someone drew a sassy face on a bong, flipped it over, and put a wig on it.

I love when you guys try new things and overall I think the art is the best it has ever been, especially Gabe and his expressions. But Tycho's new head seems very... off, especially in that second panel.

Just my two cents! Still love the strip! :)