As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Did they release any of the lore about the lizards yet?

I know they discussed the naming convention, but nothing else.

Edit: And "somewhat depressing"?

Astale on
    The Au Ra dance.

Okay.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    The Au Ra dance.

Okay.

Did you mean to post something?

edited April 2015
    There are no words.

Edit: Seriously, go look at it in the benchmark. Only way it could be more ridiculous is if they just straight up had a seizure.

Astale on
    edited April 2015
    There are no words.

Well, you've given us nothing to reference, so...

EDIT: Eh, found it through unique poses. It's no worse than any of the other dances.

Esh on
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    When you do char creation and click the unique pose a few times it'll cycle thru animations. And the dance animation has to be seen to be commented on.

It's just ... bleh. And i thought the standard catboi dance was bad.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Finally got around to this "benchmark" thingy all the cool kids are talking about.
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Benchmark
    Tested on: 4/28/2015 12:20:30 AM
    Score: 9596
    Average Frame Rate: 76.136
    Performance: Extremely High
    -Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
    Loading Times by Scene
    Scene #1 1.546 sec
    Scene #2 5.724 sec
    Scene #3 5.234 sec
    Scene #4 4.813 sec
    Scene #5 4.571 sec
    Scene #6 1.906 sec
    Total Loading Time 23.795 sec

That's with all the bells and whistles on, plus dx11, windowed at 1280x960. Better than I thought I'd do, to be honest; I usually drop to high on some settings to keep framerate steady.

Also those floating islands look cool as hell, and smooth transitions from ground to flying while mounted, and fucking sky whales what the shit

I need this. I need it in my veins.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I dunno, for me the worst part of the Au Ra beyond the awkwardness of some of the scale placements on their bodies and faces is the fact that horns are, for some reason, attached to the face type.

Who thought that was a good idea? I can only imagine it has something to do with the face structures maybe being modified by the geometry of the the different horn types, but it still seems like something that could be fixed? I'd be silly to make people choose a face or horn they like and then live with whatever face or horn goes with that combo by default.

488W936.png
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Woohoo! Jumped in a farming party with Rie before maintenance and wound up with a decent overall haul:
    jkkto5oki9sx.jpg

So, YESSSHHH!!! First pony get and its the one I want the most!

Also, gonna craft me up some levin barding the second i get on tomorrow! Fun times!!

Played around a bit with the new benchmark, I have the same chief complaint as Corehealer. REALLY hoping the other 'half' of the Au Ra customization has everything to do with horn/scale combinations and that they have individual options/sliders. Was all set to do a drakeboy and I might just go Hyur again for start of expansion. Still, soooooo much hype!!

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Shoutouts to a snazzy op and the super cool concept are post. I am starting to have trouble containing my hype already. DRK swords may end up being the sole reason I end up leveling and actively gearing a tank., cause all the ones shown so far are great.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    So I recently got the MMO itch again and with the impending X-pack, this caught my interest. Decided to join in the fun and download the benchmark:
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Benchmark
    Tested on: 4/28/2015 5:44:56 AM
    Score: 15735
    Average Frame Rate: 122.122
    Performance: Extremely High
    -Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
    Loading Times by Scene
    Scene #1 2.411 sec
    Scene #2 10.658 sec
    Scene #3 5.199 sec
    Scene #4 5.064 sec
    Scene #5 4.252 sec
    Scene #6 2.210 sec
    Total Loading Time 29.797 sec

Soooo pretty...

I remember having fun with the game back when it (re-)launched, but everyone I knew ended up migrating back to WoW. Me thinks it's time to give it another shot.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

When asked why the Au Ra females were so strikingly different from the males YoshiP said it wasn't so much an artistic design choice, but more like they crunched the numbers and their data showed that a very small percentage of their player base actually played female Highlanders or Roegadyns and the vast majority (of those who played as a female character) were Miqo'te or Midlanders. So instead of making the female Au Ra of similar build to their male counterpart they made them more like Miqo'te/Midlander females since doing otherwise (as their numbers showed) would be kind of a waste of time/resources.

So they have a perfectly logical, if somewhat depressing, reason.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Scooter wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    As YoshiP stated there is a very specific and somewhat depressing reason why the lizard-ladies are drastically different from their male counterparts. And for any future races you can expect the females to be of similar design, unless it is another Lala-esque race I suppose.

I, for one, would've been all over a 7 foot tall succubus lady.

I feel like the only possible upgrade I could take from a femroe would be to an actual 8 foot tall dragon woman with a jaw that could swallow a lala whole
    Still kind of irritated that DudeRoes are 3 inches taller than FemRoes.

I mean, 7'4" isn't bad, but still.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So we got some folks together for WoD last night. We voted abandon before we beat the second boss.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Got into Snowcloak last night. The second we zone in the healer immediately tells the DPS not to suck. We all question him and says to us "Lol j/k". We pull the first 2 groups and the tank dies.....then I die, he revives me for some reason but I didn't take it and released. Came back to the starting point, we all see the healer drag the mobs back to the starting point. He dies, tank picks up adds and dies again while me and the other DPS cleans up. Tank disconnects, for obvious reasons, and the healer leaves without a single word.

That just gave us permissions to leave ourselves without a penalty. Thanks ya jerk healer.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

They have the lore up on the heavensward page for both types.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    That benchmark was pretty cool. Soooo hype for the expansion.

Too bad it is still April.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    "My Au Ra Twitter Campaign"

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/e89960163f11c7edf625e3f72266b9015679b848

"During the campaign window the FFXIV Community and Operations teams will select up to two hundred (200) winners. Winners will be selected based on overall creativity and originality. Winners will be awarded one (1) “Scarf of Wondrous Wit” in-game item."

e89960163f11c7edf625e3f72266b9015679b848_1.png

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I would say I would be happy with the Dragonwaifu's waging war on Catgirlkind.

But that would insinuate the Dragonwaifu's had a chance of winning.

(Dragonwaifu's fo LYFE tho)

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Heck with it, I'm off till Friday, think I'll dip my toe back in and reacquaint myself Eorzea.

I've been out of the loop for almost a year (i.e. about 5 months after ARR hit). My old main was a Paladin, but was wanting to change things up and start fresh. If I was looking for a nice mix of ranged DPS and support for groups, what jobs should I be angling for now?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Heck with it, I'm off till Friday, think I'll dip my toe back in and reacquaint myself Eorzea.

I've been out of the loop for almost a year (i.e. about 5 months after ARR hit). My old main was a Paladin, but was wanting to change things up and start fresh. If I was looking for a nice mix of ranged DPS and support for groups, what jobs should I be angling for now?

Bard is good at both. Range DPS and can play songs to boost magic damage, MP recovery, or TP recovery.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

Bard is good at both. Range DPS and can play songs to boost magic damage, MP recovery, or TP recovery.

Very important question, do I get some swank-ass hats?

~ Buckaroo Banzai

The swankiest!

7fc56j1b83j7.png

The swankiest!

7fc56j1b83j7.png

Sold!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Just ran the Heavensward benchmark. My average FPS was in the high 50s (on the lowest settings and dx9), so that means I'll need to upgrade before I seriously get back into it. Can't have my computer start chugging when I'm in a high-action battle/location.

Yes, I know the game is still playable. I want my graphic fidelity to be as good as possible with as little hitches as possible; this IS a Final Fantasy game.

sig.gif

The swankiest!

7fc56j1b83j7.png

Sold!

Amon's hat is the best.

Wish it came with the mask though. (or is that his face?)

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That set is so hideous.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.

The swankiest!

7fc56j1b83j7.png

Sold!

Amon's hat is the best.

Wish it came with the mask though. (or is that his face?)

You can /visor those glasses to raise or lower them.

That set is so hideous.

Definitely a more garish color scheme than I'd use, but I do want that hat.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

I would bet 90 million dollars that YoshiP fought for swole badass DragonGirls but got shot down by his team because swole don't sell and the pop numbers lean HEAVILY...like, disgustingly so, into "MOAR CATGURLS".

Ah, I thought you meant an in-game lore reason why they were smaller, and it was depressing.

"They were stuffed into tiny barrels at the age of six, stunting their growth. "

Ah, I thought you meant an in-game lore reason why they were smaller, and it was depressing.

"They were stuffed into tiny barrels at the age of six, stunting their growth. "

Hah, no.

The lore does mention that despite the Au Ra's dragon-esque features, the fact that the Au Ra females are so much smaller than the males suggests that they are not actually related to dragons at all. :razz:

Hah, no.

The lore does mention that despite the Au Ra's dragon-esque features, the fact that the Au Ra females are so much smaller than the males suggests that they are not actually related to dragons at all. :razz:

That has zero relation as to if they're related if you look at the countless cases of sexual dimorphism.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, why, from a developer's standpoint they're different sizes.

Lore-wise, their 'horns' are also actually ears I think?

But no, pretty sure they're not supposed to be dragon-kin.

edited April 2015
    Man, I'm just repeating what the official lore has to say on it. As far as the in-game scholars of Eorzea are concerned the Au Ra share similarities with dragons, but are not otherwise related. Size difference between the males/females is one of the reasons since when it comes to dragons, females tend to be bigger and meaner.

Axen on
    edited April 2015
    Esh wrote: »

Hah, no.

That has zero relation as to if they're related if you look at the countless cases of sexual dimorphism.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, why, from a developer's standpoint they're different sizes.

On the Heavensward promo site, under the Lore section for the new race:

ItKqNs6.jpg

The reason cited is because sexual dimorphism does not exist within the Dragon race (Or at least not in the way it does in the Au Ra), which is why the scholars find it suspicious that such a difference exists in the Au Ra, to them this suggests they may not in fact be descended from Dragons.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    Man, I'm just repeating what the official lore has to say on it. As far as the in-game scholars of Eorzea are concerned the Au Ra share similarities with dragons, but are not otherwise related. Size difference between the males/females is one of the reasons since when it comes to dragons, females tend to be bigger and meaner.

Sauce on the dragon size bit?

edited April 2015

Hah, no.

ItKqNs6.jpg

The reason cited is because sexual dimorphism does not exist within the Dragon race (Or at least not in the way it does in the Au Ra), which is why the scholars find it suspicious that such a difference exists in the Au Ra, to them this suggests they may not in fact be descended from Dragons.

Strange things happen in crossbreeding.

If you look at Delphi's quote (which makes it weird that he agreed with you), dragon females are the same size as their male counterparts, not larger.

Esh on
    edited April 2015

Hah, no.

ItKqNs6.jpg

Strange things happen in crossbreeding.

If you look at Delphi's quote (which makes it weird that he agreed with you), dragon females are the same size as their male counterparts, not larger.

You said size had no relation to the idea that the Au Ra were descended from Dragons because there was such a thing as sexual dimorphism. Axen was referring to the specific passage in which case the lore calls out that the size difference was a reason that scholars believed they may not be descended from dragons.

You are now switching the argument to the irrelevant point about whether female dragons are larger than male dragons.

The point stands that in the official lore it is believed that the Au Ra may not actually be descended from dragons in part because of the size difference between the sexes. Axen may be incorrect on his mention that female dragons are larger than males, but that is irrelevant to the original point being made. (which is why I agreed with his post)

Now, we should also note this is simply what some scholars believe on the subject. Whether or not the Au Ra actually ARE descended from dragons or not is still unconfirmed, all we know is the that in the established lore of the game, there are scholars that believe they may not be, largely based on the size difference, and the fact that Au Ra "horns" are sensory organs, which is not the case in Dragonkind.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Do we know anything about the new classes yet? What kind of skills and abilities they will have? What sort of playstyle they will use? I'm specifically interested in Astrologian. I enjoy support, and at a conceptual level the idea a healer that uses the power of the sun, moon, and stars to draw it's power is neat. I can totally get behind being a Skymancer.

But from a gameplay standpoint I'm wondering what will set them apart from White Mages and Scholars.

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.