As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread - Playoffs for the next 4 months!

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Lol he said he doesn't think he could dislocate someone's arm if he tried?

Now that's just ignorant

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    God this officiating team

fuck gendered marketing
    Um that was really stupid of Zbo to react that way

Even if the first foul wasn't well called

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Are you going to shame every NBA player trying to box out for a rebound? Give me a breakkkk. Love did it to him on the same possession, it happens a shitload in every single game of basketball.

Blame the NBA for not enforcing the rule, don't write takes so hot i can barely get through them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Are you going to shame every NBA player trying to box out for a rebound? Give me a breakkkk. Love did it to him on the same possession, it happens a shitload in every single game of basketball.

Blame the NBA for not enforcing the rule, don't write takes so hot i can barely get through them.

That shit ain't boxing out

• qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    I guess I spoke too soon about Lillard having a good game. At least McCollum is stepping up! (And now McCollum will miss every shot he takes in the 4th)

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
    So It Goes wrote: »

FOQtvTH.jpg?1

literally seconds before love's injury happened.

aeNqQM9.jpg

Jason Concepcion's take on Grantland is worth reading

Yes that is a dirty trick that's regularly not called and used all over the league down low

But Olynyk couldn't even do it right. He torqued hard on a dynamic play instead of a split second static trap.

fuck gendered marketing
    Yes, holding someone's arm down is not boxing out, neither of them are doing it right. But just because love grabbed him that doesn't mean he has free reign to grab his arm and wrench it with two hands.

Yes, holding someone's arm down is not boxing out, neither of them are doing it right. But just because love grabbed him that doesn't mean he has free reign to grab his arm and wrench it with two hands.

well sure, in the platonic idea of basketball they are both doing it wrong.

however, in the NBA, this is what happens. If the NBA doesn't want it to happen, they have the ability to make it a point of emphasis going forward. If they instead dish out a stupid reactionary penalty and don't solve the problem, I will continue to not care.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited April 2015
    I wonder how many other dudes have gotten severe shoulder injuries from that type of play

I mean I cant think of any of any off the top of my head, certainly possible though

I maintain Olynyk is a shitheel

So It Goes on
    How many lay ups has Aldridge missed tonight

The wind is leaving our sails

I want this Nick Calathes all year

fuck gendered marketing
    Even draining all these threes, I has a sad :(

Even draining all these threes, I has a sad :(

13 Blazers 3s
    vs
    1 Tony Allen 3

That is a crazy line

fuck gendered marketing
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

FOQtvTH.jpg?1

literally seconds before love's injury happened.

If you're speaking of the boxing out that Love is doing? He looks more like he's trying to shove Olynyk off of him, since the dude is obviously grabbing him. Maybe that's just my pov.

EDIT: Looking at the video (I hadn't really because I don't like gross injuries), its more of a grab, but as someone mentioned above, Olynyk totally took it too far.

Goose! on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    http://www.mattynice.com/opinion/an-open-letter-to-kelly-olynyk

From a Die Hard Cavs Fan

(this is pretty much how everyone is feeling right now.)
    Crowder's injury was a direct result of your playground play. Had Love been in the game, Smith would've had no reason to react the way he did. Crowder's blood is on your hands, too.

The hottest of takes.... the dumbest of takes.

Barcardi on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    That's a good signing for them but I think they lose Durant either way.

I'm not so sure. What destination looks any better?

charlotte #ibelieve

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

he wasn't boxing out. he FAILED at boxing out, got frustrated, and in a desperate attempt not to seem like the complete failure he is, he yanked on a guy's arm with two hands like a petulant child. What Love did to him a few moments earlier was not the same thing, and you fucking know it

Dhalphir on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Why did J.R. Smith get more of a punishment than Olynyk?

kyrcl.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If you think Olynyk was boxing out you don't know what the term means or what it's for. You box out the opposing player to get in front of them and secure the rebound for yourself. Olynyk was out of position and pulled Love away from where the ball was headed. It's clear he wasn't trying to position himself in front of Love because he put all of his force on Love's arm and backward away from where the ball was moving.

There is simple no arguing that Olynyk didn't take traditional arm hooking and boxing out to an extreme because he managed to rip an opposing player's arm out of his shoulder to the point of severe injury.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I wad a really good rebounder and the best boxer outer and I never had to grab anyone's arm.

Mego Thor wrote: »

i believe the NBA takes a dimmer view of punching specifically

Also the NBA can't really prove intent with Olynyk whereas Smith was clearly trying to knock someone out in retaliation.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Crowder is an aggressive, physical player who was all over Smith's back prior to the foul. I think Smith's foul was much more of an "accident" than Olynyk's.

kyrcl.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2015
    Smith threw a punch.

Olynyk got rough.

A punch is always going to be more of a penalty because the intent is clear. As much as it sucks I don't think Olynyk intended on injuring Love.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Do people in here read Jon Bois? Because you should

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/28/8500333/nba-y2k-ten-years-to-midnight
    Each player in NBA 2K15 is assigned an overall 1-to-99 rating. Out of the box, only three -- LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul -- hold a rating higher than 90. The 99 rating is claimed by no one, a page left intentionally blank. Clearly, the 99 does not represent literal perfection: LeBron, rated 98, has shot .496 throughout his career, and I doubt we're supposed to believe that he's one tick away from 1.000.

If 99 isn't an indicator of omnipotence, it's just another, slightly higher arbitrary number that could easily have been awarded to the best player in the game. All the same, 2K15 does not budge: "we made this rating, and we made it for no one."

Well, I have decided that they made it for us, and for this. I created my own 99-rated player. There are dozens of individual sub-ratings for a player -- shooting, ball handling, speed, vertical, passing. I pushed all those ratings to 99, and I also stretched him to 7'2 with an 8'5 wingspan. He is gigantic, and possesses a skill set unapproached by any player who has ever lived.

Then I made hundreds more exactly like him.

That was EXCELLENT

Dhalphir wrote: »

Crowder is an aggressive, physical player who was all over Smith's back prior to the foul. I think Smith's foul was much more of an "accident" than Olynyk's.

I am a Cavs fan that lived in Cleveland for almost 25 years but even I cannot agree with this. Smith's foul was completely intentional he just probably didn't count on tagging Crowder right on the chin and knocking him out.

• simosimo Registered User regular
    it is possible to think olynyk's foul was bad or dirty or intentional without minimizing jr smith's punch

maybe you think olynyk got too little time, but frankly only getting 2 games was the best possible outcome for smith

bugss2.jpg
    If Smith hit a more relevant player or did it during the regular season he'd probably be facing an much stiffer suspension.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That jon bois was really fucking good

I'm sure both fouls were intentional, but a two game suspension during playoffs is a lot harsher punishment than having to miss the first game of the season.

kyrcl.png
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Do people in here read Jon Bois? Because you should

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/28/8500333/nba-y2k-ten-years-to-midnight
    Each player in NBA 2K15 is assigned an overall 1-to-99 rating. Out of the box, only three -- LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul -- hold a rating higher than 90. The 99 rating is claimed by no one, a page left intentionally blank. Clearly, the 99 does not represent literal perfection: LeBron, rated 98, has shot .496 throughout his career, and I doubt we're supposed to believe that he's one tick away from 1.000.

If 99 isn't an indicator of omnipotence, it's just another, slightly higher arbitrary number that could easily have been awarded to the best player in the game. All the same, 2K15 does not budge: "we made this rating, and we made it for no one."

Well, I have decided that they made it for us, and for this. I created my own 99-rated player. There are dozens of individual sub-ratings for a player -- shooting, ball handling, speed, vertical, passing. I pushed all those ratings to 99, and I also stretched him to 7'2 with an 8'5 wingspan. He is gigantic, and possesses a skill set unapproached by any player who has ever lived.

Then I made hundreds more exactly like him.

Jon Bois wrote:
    I would imagine you have, or had, a friend you have never seen in years, and don't expect ever to see again. The two of you built sand castles, or tried to build a skateboard ramp, or drank Beam out of a bottle in a glossy yellow-bricked dorm room. For one reason or another, you no longer do those things, or any things, together, and the reasons behind that are none of my business. Neither is this, but I've already barged in: the last time the two of you met, or spoke, you suspected it would be the very last time.

To openly treat it as such -- the last meeting of two people across all eternity -- is a sort of a fraction of a death, and is too heavy for the moment: something that heavy would bust the framework, you would call from Dallas, and there wouldn't be a last time. This is the quiet knowledge that it's over, and the tense words that replace the processing of that knowledge.

Dang.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    It isn’t dark. The bugs are chirping, but it isn’t dark yet. The sun is behind the trees, but the sky isn’t black yet. It isn’t time to come inside. We can still see the ball. No, we won’t bother the neighbors. They aren’t going to bed, because it isn’t dark yet. Our mothers would not call us inside if only they knew it was the last night of our childhood. We can still see the ball. 8:53 is the afternoon, it is the late afternoon.

There is the moon. But it isn’t dark.

God-dang.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm sure both fouls were intentional, but a two game suspension during playoffs is a lot harsher punishment than having to miss the first game of the season.

Again, it's not the NBA's fault that the Celtics were swept away like baby men. They're not going to try to equalize games in the regulate season vs postseason. There just going off the crime and the history of the player, I think.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Billy Donovan has agreed to a five-year deal to become head coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder, league sources told

let's see if he changes his mind again

I just don't know about Donovan. I hope I'm wrong and he ends up being great.

I don't get what's so great about him. His best teams at Florida were absolutely stacked talent wise. He had Noah, Horford, and Corey Brewer for two straight seasons.

He lead his team to back-to-back national championships. What's not to get?

kyrcl.png
This discussion has been closed.