As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    Sucks that the team couldn't pull it together and put in another .25 points of gameplay. Oh well.
    GI means nothing

You mean Game Informer, one of the most widely distributed and sold gaming magazines in north america?

yeah, means nothing. :lol:

Granted that they do GIVE it away when you sign up to any one of like twenty dollar programs at Gamestop.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    I just can't decide. Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. Mass Effect already has reviews. Assassin's Creed is struggling to stay on a single DVD (not a bad thing, really since they've been working night and day, lately).

Both will likely be Game of the Year contenders, up against Halolz3.
    Woah, I just realized. I can't think of a single game for the PS3 that is a GotY contender.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Machismo wrote: »
    I just can't decide. Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. Mass Effect already has reviews. Assassin's Creed is struggling to stay on a single DVD (not a bad thing, really since they've been working night and day, lately).

Woah, I just realized. I can't think of a single game for the PS3 that is a GotY contender.

Uncharted potentially

bruin on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Machismo wrote: »

You just mentioned one...

The_Scarab on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    AC isn't PS3 exclusive.

Magus` on
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    AC isn't PS3 exclusive.

But is it or is it not for the PS3.

The_Scarab on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    when is this game slated for release?

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    November something or other.

Big Classy on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.

Sheep on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    when is this game slated for release?

November 20th in North America. November 23rd in Europe.

Every other region is unconfirmed.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    AC isn't PS3 exclusive.

But is it or is it not for the PS3.

Well, yes, it is. That being said, I imagine the person above was talking about exclusive games such as Mass Effect or MP3.

Magus` on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It'll be funny to see "PS3 GOTY: Heavenly Sword"

I mean, if the award category has to be exclusive it could be quite sad.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You got your PS3 in my Mass Effect.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
    edited October 2007
    Ok, let's go back to saying "I bet Mass Effect will be good!" alot.

I bet it'll be good.

Stigma on
    edited October 2007
    I bet Mass Effect will be good!
    You forgot the exclamation mark dammit.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    I bet it won't be as good as Lair.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I bet it won't be as good as the Orange Box is for a jackass like me who's never played HL2!

(There's a good chance it'll be my favorite game ever though)

Hey.
    Let's pull theories out of our asses about what we think EA will do to all the sequels!

Stigma on
    edited October 2007
    Nothing. No, really.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Not even rush them?

Stigma on
    edited October 2007
    Maybe a Splorgenborg port 6 months after release.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    Not even rush them?

Hey, they aren't with Spore, they won't with Bioware.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Not even rush them?

But BioWare is a small, unsuccessful developer.

The purchase by EA probably saved them. I don't doubt they were going out of business in the next year anyway.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    ........... Wow. I sure hope that was sarcasm Pancake.

Big Classy on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    What do you mean? Bioware's business has been in the shitter lately.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Well there is the small problem as to the number of releases they've been making.

But thats not really "poor" business.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited October 2007
    Anyone know how Kotor or Jade Empire sold?

Stigma on
    edited October 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Well there is the small problem as to the number of releases they've been making.

But thats not really "poor" business.

Exactly, so long as the spend less money than they make, they are fine. Nintendo did practically nothing for a year or so a couple of years back. Then DS, DS lite, and Wii in just a couple of years.
    Numerous statements of "Sony will buy Nintendo in 5 years". As I understand, Bioware is a private company and so its numbers weren't readily available.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007

Well, Bioware's revenue was up by 17.4 million Canadian Dollars in 2003. Now in 2007 they have 400 employees.
    So 17 million would give a healthy amount of money to survive for a while off of with 400 employees. At least a few years, given burn rates for all 400 employees averaging around 70k or so. That is ignoring cash they still have from previous years and the release of Jade Empire in 2005.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    [Edited for being too much of an ass]

To Pancake - I really hope that was sarcasm. Out of business in the next year, when they're poised to release one of the most anticipated games of the last couple of years? Really?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Out of business in the next year, when they're poised to release one of the most anticipated games of the last couple of years? Really?

I know Im looking forward to the game, and it seems so is this forum and thousands - but is it the general thought that this is going to be a "blockbuster" game? Seems to be coming out in a slightly crowded time.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Not even rush them?

But BioWare is a small, unsuccessful developer.

The purchase by EA probably saved them. I don't doubt they were going out of business in the next year anyway.

If that were true then EA wouldn't have paid $800 million for them and Pandemic.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

KOTOR sold 1.3 million in the USA. The company that owned Bioware has said that they didn't go looking for people to buy it. Instead, there were a lot of offers by various companies.

Couscous on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    Out of business in the next year, when they're poised to release one of the most anticipated games of the last couple of years? Really?

I know Im looking forward to the game, and it seems so is this forum and thousands - but is it the general thought that this is going to be a "blockbuster" game? Seems to be coming out in a slightly crowded time.
    Short answer: yes.

I mean, let's look at what they have. Sci-fi setting? Check. Gorgeous graphics? Check. Plenty of hype? Check. On a popular console? Check. Hot alien chicks? Triple check. Nothing I've seen leading up to now could lead any reasonable person to the conclusion that their doors would be closed in a year.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited October 2007
    Houk wrote: »

I mean, let's look at what they have. Sci-fi setting? Check. Gorgeous graphics? Check. Plenty of hype? Check. On a popular console? Check. Hot alien chicks? Triple check. Nothing I've seen leading up to now could lead any reasonable person to the conclusion that their doors would be closed in a year.

If Mass Effect was a JRPG and made in Japan, I would agree.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007

If Mass Effect was a JRPG, I would agree.

:roll: Most of Bioware's games have sold over a million copies each. All of the games they have made have made money for the company.

Couscous on
    edited October 2007

If Mass Effect was a JRPG and made in Japan, I would agree.
    I don't even know what this means, so I'm gonna assume it's just some weird attempt at an ironic Katchem_Ash style of reverse-popularity something-or-other.

Carry on.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited October 2007
    Considering the scale of Mass Effect, I don't think their budget is suffering.

Stigma on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

If Mass Effect was a JRPG, I would agree.

:roll: Most of Bioware's games have sold over a million copies each. All of the games they have made have made money for the company.

I don't doubt its going to sell well enough to warrant sequels; but I'm talking about company floater (since people are talking about BioWare having needed this). I guess the point is moot since they were bought out, but I'm just wondering how successful people expect this title to be - quality of the title aside.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited October 2007
    I don't doubt its going to sell well enough to warrant sequels; but I'm talking about company floater (since people are talking about BioWare having needed this). I guess the point is moot since they were bought out, but I'm just wondering how successful people expect this title to be - quality of the title aside.
    If a game sells well enough to warrant sequels, that should be a pretty damn good indicator that it sold well enough to keep the company in business. People don't generally make sequels of games that didn't make them any money, yeah?

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited October 2007
    Since when does a company give out one of its largest franchises like Sonic to a failing company?

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.